First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
The Crunchyroll Advertis, eep...
5656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 1/28/14
You may think the turn-based battle system is boring, but that doesn't mean everyone does. Obviously a lot of people like it, or Final Fantasy wouldn't be such a popular series. And a lot of people don't play Final Fantasy purely for the gameplay, but also the story. Final Fantasy games have always had fairly complex plots (with the exception of the very first game) and that's what a lot of fans love about the games.

I like the turn-based battle system because it creates a nice pace for the fight. You don't have to focus on too many things at once. Instead, you're pretty much focusing on the particular character and the enemy you're fighting. Granted, I still love taking on multiple enemies at once, like in Halo 3:ODST and Halo:Reach with firefight. As far as random battles go, yes, they're annoying. However, when you emulate at least the older FF games you can cheat and turn off random battles when you want to or beef up your characters so you crush whatever enemy comes your way. I know, that's not an option for everyone, but it does make random battles more bearable.

I must reiterate though, is this thread complaining about CR ads, or Final Fantasy? Just a suggestion, next time you complain about something, at least let people know what it is you're truly complaining about. Also, your argument is completely subjective, so I'm free to not take you seriously. So, time was wasted on a boring random battle? Well, it was mine to waste. You can argue that time is wasted on any video game, or any hobby for that matter.
1651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Mor Dhona
Online
Posted 1/28/14

ILJtheFirst wrote:

FYI: Nobody's opinion matters. FF games are boring because you have to fight a million random fights. Also, each fight takes a long time. Eye candy doesn't make a fight more or less interesting. If 1 random fight (w/ lots of eye candy) takes you 10 minutes. One still wasted 10 minutes of your life on a random fight. Boss fights are one thing, but the random fights should be quick. Then, there's the basic Turn-Based battle system. I know they all don't use it, but too many FF games do use it. The TB battle system is ancient and should be buried like the dinosaurs. Attack, Item, Heal, Repeat, boring...


I don't know what Final Fantasy you're playing, but random battles (should) take 2-3 minutes at most if you're at level for the area you're in. XIII (I can't say anything about XIII-2 or LR) had longer battles, but that's because they were more about strategy than brute force; with full healing in-between every fight, they had to put some challenge in there somewhere.

If you dislike eye candy, or feel it doesn't add anything to a game, go back to pencil and paper games. No graphics chip to produce eye candy! ... but that means no video games. Period. Eye candy! (Yes, a lot of recent Final Fantasy titles have excessively detailed graphics, but that doesn't mean the games themselves are awful.)

Most recent Final Fantasies don't use turn-based systems. VI-IX had Active Time Battle (speed and input commands determine priority). X had a turn-based system, but was dynamic, forcing you to be strategic. XI and XIV are MMOs, with extremely dynamic combat, and XII has a similar system. If I remember right XIII had the ATB system as well (but none of the reviled random battles), though I didn't play far into it or grasp the nuances of combat. The turn-based combat might not be everyone's thing, but the fact it forces you to be strategic to prevail in extended and difficult boss fights is what I like about it.

Entirely subjective. Don't spit venom at the Final Fantasy series just because the LR:XIII ad is annoying you. I don't intend to pick it up either! Just ignore the damn thing.
PCBFan 
32033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
ℒℴѵℯℒᎥѵℯ
Offline
Posted 1/28/14
Meh I'll wait for my FF XV TYVM...
84302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Colorado, USA
Offline
Posted 1/28/14
I'm not sure of the content of the ad you imply, but personally if I must watch a video ad, I enjoy nearly any video game ad. A car ad is just a huge waste of existence, and I don't want to see another paper towel ad with smiling models wiping up colored water again. Any video game ad is a reasonable ad. (I don't know what assortment of ads Crunchyroll gets).

Unless this topic is about the mentioned Final Fantasy game, in which case this may be the most out of place comment I've ever made.
230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/28/14
Regardless of what I think of Final Fantasy, the ad is annoying as hell. It doesn't even show any reasons why you should play the game! In fact, it actually turns me away from ever considering playing the game! All it shows us is in-game battles, with music louder than it should be. It doesn't even mention what it's supposed to be. Whether or not the game is actually good, they really need to hire someone to do their advertising for them, because wow, that was the worst commercial I've seen in a while....
Posted 1/29/14

ILJtheFirst wrote:


WednesdayBookLove wrote:

So, is this thread complaining about ads, or FF XIII:LR? Because it seems to focus more on Final Fantasy to me. Honestly, if you're that opposed to FF, don't play it. A lot of people don't find the games boring. I personally loved FFIX and FFIV. I might take you more seriously if you give valid reasons for why you think the FF games are boring, but all you're doing is bashing on them. Therefore, your opinion doesn't matter.


FYI: Nobody's opinion matters. FF games are boring because you have to fight a million random fights. Also, each fight takes a long time. Eye candy doesn't make a fight more or less interesting. If 1 random fight (w/ lots of eye candy) takes you 10 minutes. One still wasted 10 minutes of your life on a random fight. Boss fights are one thing, but the random fights should be quick. Then, there's the basic Turn-Based battle system. I know they all don't use it, but too many FF games do use it. The TB battle system is ancient and should be buried like the dinosaurs. Attack, Item, Heal, Repeat, boring...


really? and which game is it that doesn't involve a million random fights? bejeweled?
13136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Europe
Offline
Posted 1/30/14
Addblocker is the way to go if you want to get ridd of the Crunchyroll advertisments.

( Shhh I was using and will use it once my sub expires )
15456 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 1/30/14 , edited 1/30/14

WednesdayBookLove wrote:
Also, your argument is completely subjective, so I'm free to not take you seriously.


"Your opinion's an opinion and I don't agree with it so therefore I'm not taking your opinion seriously."

So just because you didn't think it and you don't agree with it, it's less deserving of rational thought? Hmmm...

Furthermore, do you realise how stupid it is to repeatedly bring up subjectivity in a discussion that is 100% opinion? It's like walking into a hospital and pointing at every person in turn and saying "You're sick." We know it's all opinion and we know every opinion is different. Don't use it like it's some kind of beat-down stick that lends credence to your own argument. Share your two cents and gtfo, unless you actually want to pick someone's brains instead of just telling them they're flat-out wrong because not everyone else thinks what they do.

585 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Center-of-US
Offline
Posted 1/30/14 , edited 1/30/14
Discussing FF here doesn't seem productive, but that's just my opinion.

I certainly agree that the volume change aspect is, how to put it... insufferable. My guess is that they (and other sponsors) required CR to nudge the anime playback volume down in the contract, so that the ads would stand out. It's probably not good for the streamer overall, otherwise Hulu would have it too. I'd think Hulu has more bargaining power, though.

<Random joke here because I'm saying boring stuff. End of joke>

I'd like to suggest that when voicing complaints about this attack on our ears, try to mention the offender's name as little as possible - they don't deserve the recognition! I think the strategy with annoying ads is to make you go "man, I"m really pissed at company X and/or their product." But as time passes, memory fades and all you remember is that company x and their product exist. I don't know for sure, though.

Anyway, loud ads are super annoying. Boo!
22329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Australia
Offline
Posted 1/30/14

Genbu89 wrote:


ILJtheFirst wrote:

FYI: Nobody's opinion matters. FF games are boring because you have to fight a million random fights. Also, each fight takes a long time. Eye candy doesn't make a fight more or less interesting. If 1 random fight (w/ lots of eye candy) takes you 10 minutes. One still wasted 10 minutes of your life on a random fight. Boss fights are one thing, but the random fights should be quick. Then, there's the basic Turn-Based battle system. I know they all don't use it, but too many FF games do use it. The TB battle system is ancient and should be buried like the dinosaurs. Attack, Item, Heal, Repeat, boring...


I don't know what Final Fantasy you're playing, but random battles (should) take 2-3 minutes at most if you're at level for the area you're in. XIII (I can't say anything about XIII-2 or LR) had longer battles, but that's because they were more about strategy than brute force; with full healing in-between every fight, they had to put some challenge in there somewhere.

If you dislike eye candy, or feel it doesn't add anything to a game, go back to pencil and paper games. No graphics chip to produce eye candy! ... but that means no video games. Period. Eye candy! (Yes, a lot of recent Final Fantasy titles have excessively detailed graphics, but that doesn't mean the games themselves are awful.)

Most recent Final Fantasies don't use turn-based systems. VI-IX had Active Time Battle (speed and input commands determine priority). X had a turn-based system, but was dynamic, forcing you to be strategic. XI and XIV are MMOs, with extremely dynamic combat, and XII has a similar system. If I remember right XIII had the ATB system as well (but none of the reviled random battles), though I didn't play far into it or grasp the nuances of combat. The turn-based combat might not be everyone's thing, but the fact it forces you to be strategic to prevail in extended and difficult boss fights is what I like about it.

Entirely subjective. Don't spit venom at the Final Fantasy series just because the LR:XIII ad is annoying you. I don't intend to pick it up either! Just ignore the damn thing.


Thank you. I'm glad somebody else addressed that post because I'm not in the mood to have done so myself, although, if no one else had I probably would've slowly made my way to it. It's always good to know your shit before posting, especially if you intend to put down or negatively impose your views on it.

In regards to the "long battles" comment, on the 3rd (and final) CD of Final Fantasy XIII the target time recorded for most "random fights" are below a minute long or no higher than 3-4 minutes. It really shouldn't take you longer than the target times that are shown. Even some bosses don't take up that much time. For example, I defeated a boss with a target time of 11 or so minutes within 4 minutes, there is indeed strategy and thought involved and with that taken into account if you know how to play then random fights and bosses should not chew up all your time. In the long run FF XIII in particular shouldn't take more than 2-3 days to finish (the main story). From a gamers perspective that is no time at all and there are plenty of games that are as long and even longer, it's all a matter of personal taste.

So, each to their own, there is no need to bash. Why focus on negative thoughts and spreading negativity? It does no good to anyone, including yourself.
5656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 1/30/14

Broshmosh wrote:


WednesdayBookLove wrote:
Also, your argument is completely subjective, so I'm free to not take you seriously.


"Your opinion's an opinion and I don't agree with it so therefore I'm not taking your opinion seriously."

So just because you didn't think it and you don't agree with it, it's less deserving of rational thought? Hmmm...

Furthermore, do you realise how stupid it is to repeatedly bring up subjectivity in a discussion that is 100% opinion? It's like walking into a hospital and pointing at every person in turn and saying "You're sick." We know it's all opinion and we know every opinion is different. Don't use it like it's some kind of beat-down stick that lends credence to your own argument. Share your two cents and gtfo, unless you actually want to pick someone's brains instead of just telling them they're flat-out wrong because not everyone else thinks what they do.



What bothers me about his whole argument is that it sounds like he's talking shit about Final Fantasy without having actually played the games. Granted, he's said he has played RPGs in the past, but he didn't say specifically FF. Also, why make this topic look like it's going to be complaining about CR ads, then go on complaining about how boring FFXIII:LR looks? If you want to discuss a video game, make a video game thread in the appropriate section of the forums.

And what I meant by valid argument was more than just, "it's boring because I think it's boring." Which is basically what I got from him. I could see why people think turn-based fighting systems could be boring to some, since it's a slower battle that requires more strategy. This thread just seemed pointless to me since all it's doing is complaining about a game the OP is obviously never going to play. I can understand the ad being annoyingly loud, but what does FFXIII:LR looking like it's going to be boring have to do with that?
One Punch Mod
85800 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 12/27/15
Year-end cleaning. Closing threads with no new posts since 2014.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.