First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply "YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET"
4272 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 1/24/14 , edited 1/24/14
The other day i was watching some trailers for some movies i thought "well...theres a no brainer i'm gonna love the crap outta this". However the thought of actually seeing the movie in theaters and enjoying it with justice just didnt speak to me. Its not like i won't like the movie, its that i'd just rather find something that i'm more skeptical of. You know just to give the odd guy out a chance at completely wowing me. And it only occurred to me that i'm doing this to anime as well.

I only recently have committed myself to watching at least 5-7 hours a day, last year i'd actually only be watching like 1 show a week. And in high school i didn't really watch much of any anime at all. So now i find myself reaching for some classics and stuff from the last decade in the hopes of catching up, however there are some that i just can't motivate myself to watch no matter how hard someone praises it (again i don't hate whatever show it is, its just that i know im gonna like it so i just end up watching something im more curious about).

So here it is folks:
Baccano
Shigurui Death Frenzy
Welcome to the NHK
Ghost in the Shell (from the movie to anything)
Ranma 1/2
Gurren Lagann
Higurashi
Fate Zero
Toradora
Anohana
Vampire Hunter D
Steins;Gate
Clannad
ETC.

Just a taste mind you since im pretty sure you guys get the idea.

Oh forgot to mention (please have mercy with you judgement )


So i was just wondering anyone else ever get that same "this is good OH MAHN THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD...but not now". And if the answer is yes well lets see some lists!!!
18491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Alderaan
Offline
Posted 1/24/14
Those series you listed are all awesome, you should definitely watch them. If for some reason the style of Higurashi season 1 puts you off, just skip to season 2. Higurashi is built in a way where season 1 presents you with a puzzle to solve, and it is only the puzzle. Then season 2 is the solution to the puzzle.

I put Death Note aside for the longest time, it was one of the best series I have ever watched though. Bakuman was one that I actually thought I wasn't going to like, the problem is that it comes off as being very romantic drama in the first few episodes where it makes you feel like you will probably be annoyed with the way the romance is carried out, but it doesn't become that way at all. The romance is handled very well, the heroines (Miho for Saiko and Kaya for Shujin) are some of the bravest and most understanding love interests in any series I have seen. It was over all just a wonderful anime.

It isn't an anime but the HBO drama Dexter is a series I keep putting off, I have watched 3 seasons of the show, and I love it, but I just can't get myself to finish watching it.
1831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / US of A
Offline
Posted 1/24/14
I feel ya. I'm with that for Cowboy Bebop. For some reason I never have that need to watch it entirely. I loved the episodes I've seen so far, mind you. It might be it's episodic nature though.

Also got this problem with:
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Clannad After Story
Kanon 2006
Fist of the North Star
Hajime no Ippo
Shuffle!
and a lot of other stuff I bet I'm missing out

but maybe it's just my way of enjoying it...idk
2722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / The IshVille
Offline
Posted 1/24/14 , edited 1/24/14
I do this every season, some times two seasons in a row. I DESPISE cliffhangers. As such, I don't watch hardly any brand new anime, no matter how rave the reviews may be, until the season is either completely over, or nearly over. I won't be watching anything from the Winter 2014 season until April. The first I'll be cracking into though will be Nisekoi, Noragami, Nobunagun, Nobunaga The Fool, Witch Craft Works, Pupa, Space Dandy and Magical Warfare once they've all hit episodes 13.

I already have my patience tested enough having to wait every week for Hunter X Hunter and now Magi. I usually stop watching for a year when I catch up, but those two are so good I just can't help myself. I have to see them.
7654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Online
Posted 1/24/14
On the anime side, Now and Then, Here and There. I have been putting it off for some reason and every time I start watching it I think, "not now, I'm just not in the right mood"...

Like xxJing I too have been putting off Dexter...I think I'm like 6 seasons in and I just don't feel like watching any more. Same with Breaking Bad, I have about 6 episodes left and I just can't do it even though I love the show.

PS: Watch Baccano!. I am starting to sound like a broken record because I recommend it so often but its damn good.
18491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Alderaan
Offline
Posted 1/24/14

sundin13 wrote:

On the anime side, Now and Then, Here and There. I have been putting it off for some reason and every time I start watching it I think, "not now, I'm just not in the right mood"...

Like xxJing I too have been putting off Dexter...I think I'm like 6 seasons in and I just don't feel like watching any more. Same with Breaking Bad, I have about 6 episodes left and I just can't do it even though I love the show.

PS: Watch Baccano!. I am starting to sound like a broken record because I recommend it so often but its damn good.


I recommend watching Now and Then, Here and There when you are in a VERY good mood. Do not attempt to watch that show when you are sad, annoyed, or irked in any manner. It is honestly an anime that I cannot watch again , it just depresses me too much.
4272 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 1/24/14

supasoggyrolle wrote:

I do this every season, some times two seasons in a row. I DESPISE cliffhangers. As such, I don't watch hardly any brand new anime, no matter how rave the reviews may be, until the season is either completely over, or nearly over. I won't be watching anything from the Winter 2014 season until April. The first I'll be cracking into though will be Nisekoi, Noragami, Nobunagun, Nobunaga The Fool, Witch Craft Works, Pupa, Space Dandy and Magical Warfare once they've all hit episodes 13.

I already have my patience tested enough having to wait every week for Hunter X Hunter and now Magi. I usually stop watching for a year when I catch up, but those two are so good I just can't help myself. I have to see them.


Speaking of this season i've decided to actually plan this out better. For example instead of just feeling obligating myself to watch every show in the new season i'm testing out which ones im just gonna plow through = Nisekoi, cause i oftenly do this with anything aniplex and cause its weekly shounen jump (not sure how thats a good reason but imma stick to it )
4272 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 1/24/14 , edited 1/24/14

Shwuishu wrote:

I feel ya. I'm with that for Cowboy Bebop. For some reason I never have that need to watch it entirely. I loved the episodes I've seen so far, mind you. It might be it's episodic nature though.

Also got this problem with:
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Clannad After Story
Kanon 2006
Fist of the North Star
Hajime no Ippo
Shuffle!
and a lot of other stuff I bet I'm missing out

but maybe it's just my way of enjoying it...idk


Even though its my favorite anime ever i suggest if you ever pick up Fist of the North Star you should watch that sweet remake they did a few years back. It only covers the important stuff and shaves off the "kenshiro purging the world of assholes" filler.
479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Washington not DC
Offline
Posted 1/24/14
I guess sometimes, but there's no harm in waiting. Actually rushing or feeling like you have to watch them could be bad, so is saying you know you'll like them, that's hyping them a little too much. Having too high of expectations can hurt your actual enjoyment. I say make a deal with yourself, I was kind of going through something similar when I would only rewatch shows. I would watch two new anime and then allow myself to rewatch one anime, then repeat. It worked for me keeping a nice pace like that.
2035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 1/24/14 , edited 1/24/14
I've done this with television etc. I own the first season of The Walking Dead and keep putting off the rest of bbc's new Sherlocke.


But if you mean anime, I keep putting these on the back burner for the same reason:

Blast of Tempest (though I'm going more on other people's praise than personal interest)
Doctor Slump (I've had a sizable portion of it for a while now)
Evangelion movies (haven't seen the new or old)
Fist of the North Star
Gurren Lagann
Kill la Kill
Little Witch Academia
Puella Magi Madoka Magica movies
Ranma 1/2
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
(and everything else that's produced by shaft after the Madoka anime)
Space Runaway Ideon movies
Suzumiya Haruhi movie
Urusei Yatsura




FunkKlock wrote:

Even though its my favorite anime ever i suggest if you ever pick up Fist of the North Star you should watch that sweet remake they did a few years back..


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Fist_of_the_North_Star <- this one?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fist_of_the_North_Star:_The_Legends_of_the_True_Savior <- or this one? (not licensed outside of Japan)
34819 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Online
Posted 1/24/14
God. Lots.

Angel Beats!
AnoHana: The Flower We Saw That Day
Aoi Bungaku
Azumanga Daioh
Baccano!
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
Boogiepop Phantom
Casshern Sins
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
Deadman Wonderland
Dennou Coil
The Eccentric Family
Escaflowne
Eureka Seven
Eve no Jikan
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (31/64)
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
Gankutsuou
The Garden of Words
The Girl Who Leapt through Time
Great Teacher Ozuka (5/43)
Hanasaku Iroha
Hanasaku Iroha: Home Sweet Home
Hunter x Hunter
Kaguyahime no Monogatari
Katanagatari
Kino's Journey
Last Exile
Little Busters!
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica: Rebellion
Mnemosyne: Daughters of Mnemosyne
Mushi-Shi
My Bride is a Mermaid
Nichijou
Outlaw Star
Paranoia Agent
Redline
Rin no Lagrange
R.O.D.
SaiKano
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
School Rumble
Steins;Gate
Tokyo Godfathers
Trigun
Usagi Drop
Vampire Hunter D
Wandering Son
Welcome to the NHK
Wolf's Rain
Zetsuen no Tempest

And more I can't come up with at the moment.
11210 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 1/24/14
Damn it people! Watch Ranma 1/2! Do you know how hard I looked for the English Dub of Ranma 1/2 back in Junior High School? I was like, "this is the show that I need to watch, right now"

And like, I could only find 4 episodes online, and I had to buy the seasons to watch it, AND MY LOCAL BEST BUY HAD THE FIRST SEASON ON DVD!

Now i own all Seasons and the OVA set, because IT'S RANMA 1/2! Go watch it people, it's pretty awesome... but whenever I look back on it, it feels like it aged worse than it did...it's odd. Still, the fight scenes and characters rocked!

I had this similar problem about a lot of shows. Fist of the North Star, Mobile Suit Gundam, Trigun...

But I've since completed all of them, and love them to death.

Right now I have "Angel Beats" up on that list.

I mean, I know it's good I know it, but it's not THAT good! Someone who hasn't seen an Anime made before 2000 lacks the perspective to argue with me! I've SEEN a lot of KyoAni! I saw that Clannad, that Air, that Kanon...I think? I've SEEN things in the Anime industry. Angel Beats doesn't IMPRESS me. It's standard fair! 6 out of 10! Average attempt! Protagonist go home CUZ HE IS LAME. I'll finish it one day, maybe.....BUT NOT YET!
5980 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 1/24/14
The only one I can think of right now is Aria. I hear nothing but great things about it, and its apparently a slice-of-life series (which I love), so I'm about 99% sure I'll enjoy it. I've been telling myself for the past year-and-a-half that I would start watching it soon, but I haven't gotten around to it yet and I have no idea why.
34819 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Online
Posted 1/24/14

Felstalker wrote:

Damn it people! Watch Ranma 1/2! Do you know how hard I looked for the English Dub of Ranma 1/2 back in Junior High School? I was like, "this is the show that I need to watch, right now"

And like, I could only find 4 episodes online, and I had to buy the seasons to watch it, AND MY LOCAL BEST BUY HAD THE FIRST SEASON ON DVD!

Now i own all Seasons and the OVA set, because IT'S RANMA 1/2! Go watch it people, it's pretty awesome... but whenever I look back on it, it feels like it aged worse than it did...it's odd. Still, the fight scenes and characters rocked!

You're really pushing the classics lately. Ranma 1/2, Slayers, etc.

Fortunately for me:


Felstalker wrote:

Someone who hasn't seen an Anime made before 2000 lacks the perspective to argue with me!



^ I have a get-out-of-jail-free card.
14615 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 1/24/14 , edited 1/24/14

HauAreWe wrote:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica movies


The first two probably aren't worth bothering with unless a friend has them or something, since they're almost identical to the series. More importantly, the series is right here while the movies have to be imported or found in "other" places. Rebellion's definitely worth seeing, but it's not even out of Japanese theaters yet...


Insomnist wrote:

Dennou Coil
...
Kino's Journey
...
Paranoia Agent
...
Steins;Gate
...
Wolf's Rain


I need to actually get around to watching these someday. The rest are good choices, aaaand I misread something completely, wow. Anyway.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.