First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
"YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET"
Posted 1/25/14
Joshiraku and Natsuiro Kiseki are two that i've put off for a while. It's like i'm saving them for dessert since I know that i'm probably going to enjoy them and I don't want to just waste them all at once. Not sure if second seasons count, but i've also been doing this with K-On and Minami-ke

For something with a very different flavor, i've also been saving Gankutsuou since i've heard great things about it. I think it will be one of the rare "serious" shows that I enjoy - but i'm waiting till i've gotten a lot of other stuff out of the way before I pick it up. But with all the simulcasts and backlogs that keep adding up, who knows when that will be T_T
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 1/25/14 , edited 1/25/14

kotomikun wrote:

Rebellion's definitely worth seeing, but it's not even out of Japanese theaters yet...


Umm.. Actually.. it played in select theatres in the US in early december (and in Japan in early October)
http://madokamagicausa.com/rebellion/

Japanese BluRay/DVD on April 2nd http://www.madoka-magica.com/blu-ray_dvd/
so maybe a few months later for US?


I've seen the series, but had assumed that the movies change the focus/pacing, add scenes, or change the scenes up in some way. I dunno.. maybe I expect too much..
22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 1/25/14

Insomnist wrote:

You're really pushing the classics lately. Ranma 1/2, Slayers, etc.

Fortunately for me:


^ I have a get-out-of-jail-free card.


I always push the classics! Ranma 1/2 is the greatest Harem anime I've ever seen, AND IT WAS WRITTEN BY A WOMAN! That's some Grade A-nime right there! A Genderbending protagonist who's full of himself, gets all the girls, has all the guys pestering him to either fight or date, and still gets the shit beat out of him by his absurd and abusive parents?

It's just a crazy cool thing.

Getting out of Jail free is cool and all, but COME ONE, Give me a title here! I havn't seen everything.

Don't make me argue about Star Trek now. I've seen half of the original, while my sister has seen the Next Generation. And we argue about Kirk and Picard over and over but we can't really argue because we both know we havn't seen the other BECAUSE we don't want to give the other the satisfaction.
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 1/25/14 , edited 1/25/14

seekerperson7 wrote:
Not sure if second seasons count, but i've also been doing this with Minami-ke



Save yourself the trouble and skip season 2 (okawari) and jump right to season 3 (Okaeri).
When Minami-ke switched studios, they chose instead to create an original story and add a new character (whom became the focus of the plot.) It also shifts the mood from a light-hearted comedy to a drama, dulls the colors, and slows the pacing.

I guess they had it rough after releasing it, since the next season was directed by the same person & made by the same studio, but retconned the entirety of season 2, brought back a lot of season 1's character designs, brightened the color pallet, etc.

It wasn't bad, really. But, it doesn't feel all that worth it when you must immediately ignore the 13 episodes you've watched. And the original story & main character weren't worthwhile anyway.
Posted 1/25/14

HauAreWe wrote:

Save yourself the trouble and skip season 2 (okawari) and jump right to season 3 (Okaeri).
When Minami-ke switched studios, they chose instead to create an original story and add a new character (whom became the focus of the plot.) It also shifts the mood from a light-hearted comedy to a drama, dulls the colors, and slows the pacing.

I guess they had it rough after releasing it, since the next season was directed by the same person & made by the same studio, but retconned the entirety of season 2, brought back a lot of season 1's character designs, brightened the color pallet, etc.

It wasn't bad, really. But, it doesn't feel all that worth it when you must immediately ignore the 13 episodes you've watched. And the original story & main character weren't worthwhile anyway.


Really? They changed it into a dull drama? Drat. I probably will just got ahead and watch it soon then to get it out of the way. Sadly, I can't just skip it because then it would end up weird when I log it plus knowing that I skipped would make me feel irritated and incomplete. But season 3 is more light-hearted like the first, right? If so, then I can just look forward to that lol
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 1/25/14

seekerperson7 wrote:
But season 3 is more light-hearted like the first, right? If so, then I can just look forward to that lol


When I first saw Okaeri (s3), I thought the original studio had done it. It's rather good (and if I remember right, it even references Ninomiya-kun and Sensei whom weren't in the manga.) They put a lot of effort in to turn it around for fans.
29767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 1/25/14

HauAreWe wrote:


kotomikun wrote:

Rebellion's definitely worth seeing, but it's not even out of Japanese theaters yet...


Umm.. Actually.. it played in select theatres in the US in early december (and in Japan in early October)
http://madokamagicausa.com/rebellion/


Well, yeah, but it's a bit late to recommend it to people now. Though I guess flying to Japan is still cheaper than renting a time machine.

I haven't actually seen the first two movies, but from what people have said about them, there aren't any significant changes. Mostly stuff like new transformation sequences and maybe cramming even more decorations into Mami's apartment. No idea whether they're going to actually release any of them here... you'd think they'd at least do the third one, but they've said nothing about it so far.
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 1/25/14 , edited 1/25/14

kotomikun wrote:
I haven't actually seen the first two movies. No idea whether they're going to actually release any of them here...


Oh wow. I hadn't actually checked before. Aniplex has them as "Import Only".
http://madokamagicausa.com/movie.php

The resulting price is insane..

Oh well. I guess I'll wait twenty years for "imports" and "BluRays" to be silly & archaic ideas from a time long passed..
70040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/25/14 , edited 1/25/14

Felstalker wrote:

Don't make me argue about Star Trek now. I've seen half of the original, while my sister has seen the Next Generation. And we argue about Kirk and Picard over and over but we can't really argue because we both know we havn't seen the other BECAUSE we don't want to give the other the satisfaction.

You mean that dumb sci-fi social commentary about how America is totally amazing and Communists are jerks?




HauAreWe wrote:


kotomikun wrote:
I haven't actually seen the first two movies. No idea whether they're going to actually release any of them here...


Oh wow. I hadn't actually checked before. Aniplex has them as "Import Only".
http://madokamagicausa.com/movie.php

The resulting price is insane..

Oh well. I guess I'll wait twenty years for "imports" and "BluRays" to be silly & archaic ideas from a time long passed..

Aniplex prices are always insane, you're lucky to get a BD series from them for less than $150.

And I'm pretty sure Fate/Zero was over $300 since it was split in half.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 1/25/14 , edited 1/25/14

Insomnist wrote:

Aniplex prices are always insane, you're lucky to get a BD series from them for less than $150.

And I'm pretty sure Fate/Zero was over $300 since it was split in half.


At least we don't have to pay what the folks in Japan have to for their fixes, so I say be thankful. By the way, Fate/Zero is a bit under $300 now.

70040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/25/14 , edited 1/25/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:


Insomnist wrote:

Aniplex prices are always insane, you're lucky to get a BD series from them for less than $150.

And I'm pretty sure Fate/Zero was over $300 since it was split in half.


At least we don't have to pay what the folks in Japan have to for their fixes, so I say be thankful. By the way, Fate/Zero is a bit under $300 now.

Yeah, just talking about release prices. Psycho-Pass recently came out for $160.

Japan is also heavily rental-focused. You're not expected to buy all the shows you like, you just walk to a movie rental and check them out for a couple days. Prices are high because they're priced for rental distributors, not individuals.

Not saying people don't buy personal copies of some shows, it's just not an ancillary part of the system.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 1/25/14

Insomnist wrote:

Yeah, just talking about release prices. Psycho-Pass recently came out for $160.

Japan is also heavily rental-focused. You're not expected to buy all the shows you like, you just walk to a movie rental and check them out for a couple days. Prices are high because they're priced for rental distributors, not individuals.

Not saying people don't buy personal copies of some shows, it's just not an ancillary part of the system.


You're saying over there it came out for $160 or?

70040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/25/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:


Insomnist wrote:

Yeah, just talking about release prices. Psycho-Pass recently came out for $160.

Japan is also heavily rental-focused. You're not expected to buy all the shows you like, you just walk to a movie rental and check them out for a couple days. Prices are high because they're priced for rental distributors, not individuals.

Not saying people don't buy personal copies of some shows, it's just not an ancillary part of the system.


You're saying over there it came out for $160 or?

No, over here. Although they slashed $60 off it on sale, and it's a special edition which I hadn't noticed.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/AwBEgZuHbQfszkJze7/browse/item/100957/4/0/0

It's also Funimation; I'd assumed it was Aniplex just by the price tag.

The normal set comes out to $125 before discounts.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/AwBEgZuHbQfszkJze7/browse/item/100958/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/AwBEgZuHbQfszkJze7/browse/item/100959/4/0/0
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 1/25/14 , edited 1/25/14

Insomnist wrote:

No, over here. Although they slashed $60 off it on sale, and it's a special edition which I hadn't noticed.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/AwBEgZuHbQfszkJze7/browse/item/100957/4/0/0

It's also Funimation; I'd assumed it was Aniplex just by the price tag.

The normal set comes out to $125 before discounts.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/AwBEgZuHbQfszkJze7/browse/item/100958/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/AwBEgZuHbQfszkJze7/browse/item/100959/4/0/0


Oh, I know. Was just confused by what you meant. All clear now, though.

As it stands right now (if you go by Funi's site prices), the premium edition is the better buy. Were you looking to buy it, in either format?

And, I didn't really get what this thread is about, even after reading various posts...



70040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/25/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:

Oh, I know. Was just confused by what you meant. All clear now, though.

As it stands right now (if you go by Funi's site prices), the premium edition is the better buy. Were you looking to buy it, in either format?

Not really, there's a heap of stuff I'd want to get before I got down to Psycho-Pass. It was just an example.


Shrapnel893 wrote:

And, I didn't really get what this thread is about, even after reading various posts...

Stuff you really want to watch but when it comes down to it you keep putting it off, I think.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.