First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Too Old To Relate To Anime?
21341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Oregon
Offline
Posted 1/26/14
Well as I keep getting older, I constantly wonder if I will still be able to relate with the characters within Anime, seeing as how most of them are portrayed as teenagers. As of now I can still connect with younger characters, but I can't help but wonder if there will come a time when I can't.

Have you ever thought about this or has it already happened to you?


If this topic already exists, feel free to redirect me. I would appreciate it.

5391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 1/26/14
Getting old suckss D: Maybe start to try and relate yourself to some of the older characters in the animes. Kind of like Iruka/Jiraiya teaching the young ones the way but you can still have the Pervy Sage side of yourself like Jiraiya.

I dunno. Just my thoughts.
47579 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 1/26/14
The older you get, the more refined your tastes will become, because you've seen that character or storyline thousands of times already.
49507 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Online
Posted 1/26/14 , edited 1/26/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:

The older you get, the more refined your tastes will become, because you've seen that character or storyline thousands of times already.


Not necessarily, you can be young and still have refined tastes, or, you can be older and still have poor tastes.
21341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Oregon
Offline
Posted 1/26/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:

The older you get, the more refined your tastes will become, because you've seen that character or storyline thousands of times already.


I've noticed this recently, sometimes I can't even finish the first episode of a series because it seems so generic. I guess it's not just getting older that changes your opinion of anime, it's the amount you've watched. The more you watch, the more generic similar story lines seem, seeing as how you've seen them so many times before.

I feel like my best option would be to slow down, and watch less. But that's impossible.

2768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / The IshVille
Offline
Posted 1/26/14
No, you will not continue to relate to most anime characters as you get older. As you get older, instead of relating, you'll be reminiscing. What I mean by that is that you'll start remembering a time when you felt that way, would've reacted that way, or experienced something similar when you were younger. (This applies to realistic animes, "Slice of Life", "Romance", etc...) As far as fantasy anime, you're never really going to relate to those characters, anyway. How do you relate to an esper who kills people with her mind? Or a pirate made of rubber who fights admirals and fishmen?

But, as you get older, you won't really be looking to relate with anime characters, anyway. You'll be using anime as a diversionary tactic to escape the daily grind and entertain yourself. Sometimes, you might find an older character you relate with, but it'll be few and far between. But, as someone 13 years your senior, let me tell you, you have nothing to worry about, because not being able to relate personally with anime characters won't decrease the enjoyment you have for anime. At least it doesn't with me.
49507 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Tiphares
Online
Posted 1/26/14 , edited 1/26/14
^ this


SacredBlood77 wrote:

I've noticed this recently, sometimes I can't even finish the first episode of a series because it seems so generic. I guess it's not just getting older that changes your opinion of anime, it's the amount you've watched. The more you watch, the more generic similar story lines seem, seeing as how you've seen them so many times before.

I feel like my best option would be to slow down, and watch less. But that's impossible.



How is it impossible? Just take a break, it's that simple. Take me for example, I've seen well over 700 titles and now, I rarely watch more than 2 titles per season.

Posted 1/26/14
I don't expect to get breast fed anymore but sometimes I enjoy imagining it.
21341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Oregon
Offline
Posted 1/26/14

supasoggyrolle wrote:

No, you will not continue to relate to most anime characters as you get older. As you get older, instead of relating, you'll be reminiscing. What I mean by that is that you'll start remembering a time when you felt that way, would've reacted that way, or experienced something similar when you were younger. (This applies to realistic animes, "Slice of Life", "Romance", etc...) As far as fantasy anime, you're never really going to relate to those characters, anyway. How do you relate to an esper who kills people with her mind? Or a pirate made of rubber who fights admirals and fishmen?

But, as you get older, you won't really be looking to relate with anime characters, anyway. You'll be using anime as a diversionary tactic to escape the daily grind and entertain yourself. Sometimes, you might find an older character you relate with, but it'll be few and far between. But, as someone 13 years your senior, let me tell you, you have nothing to worry about, because not being able to relate personally with anime characters won't decrease the enjoyment you have for anime. At least it doesn't with me.


I'm glad to hear this from someone older then myself, I never really stopped to think about it that way. I hope I have the same mind set as you in my upcoming years.
38388 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Somewhere i Belong
Offline
Posted 1/26/14
Cliches never dies, cliches were immortal.
Xyvol 
6026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 1/26/14

supasoggyrolle wrote:
But, as you get older, you won't really be looking to relate with anime characters, anyway. You'll be using anime as a diversionary tactic to escape the daily grind and entertain yourself. Sometimes, you might find an older character you relate with, but it'll be few and far between. But, as someone 13 years your senior, let me tell you, you have nothing to worry about, because not being able to relate personally with anime characters won't decrease the enjoyment you have for anime. At least it doesn't with me.


I agree with this statement. Whether I can get into a show or not isn't always dependent on how I relate to the character. You may stop watching anime for a time due to other factors in your life, but usually always come back to it because what you enjoy is anime itself, not a specific genre, story, or character type.
47579 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 1/26/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:

Not necessarily, you can be young and still have refined tastes, or, you can be older and still have poor tastes.


Can't say I disagree; everyone develop at different rates. When I was the OP's age, I can still enjoy a majority of anime.


SacredBlood77 wrote:

I've noticed this recently, sometimes I can't even finish the first episode of a series because it seems so generic. I guess it's not just getting older that changes your opinion of anime, it's the amount you've watched. The more you watch, the more generic similar story lines seem, seeing as how you've seen them so many times before.

I feel like my best option would be to slow down, and watch less. But that's impossible.



When I run out of things to watch, I just google other people's favourite anime and check out any stuff that I haven't seen or ask people for recommendations. And most of the time, it ends up being great.
64845 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Where the heart is
Offline
Posted 1/26/14



I agree with this statement. Whether I can get into a show or not isn't always dependent on how I relate to the character. You may stop watching anime for a time due to other factors in your life, but usually always come back to it because what you enjoy is anime itself, not a specific genre, story, or character type.


As another older fella I wholeheartedly agree with this. Anime is just another source, and one of my main sources of entertainment. I watch for the art good or bad, the story and any surprises there may be. I guess in short I watch anime for the same reasons someone who doesn't would watch game of thrones.

86 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / The Rainy Place
Offline
Posted 1/26/14
I'm 23 and I already feel old, but that doesn't stop me from compeletly indulging in a great anime.

If you love anime, you should keep doing what you love, to hell with what anyone else thinks.

Age is only a number, and all adults are just aged teenagers with the same mindset buried deep down anyway.
9358 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / アビス
Offline
Posted 1/26/14

SacredBlood77 wrote:

Well as I keep getting older, I constantly wonder if I will still be able to relate with the characters within Anime, seeing as how most of them are portrayed as teenagers. As of now I can still connect with younger characters, but I can't help but wonder if there will come a time when I can't.

Have you ever thought about this or has it already happened to you?


If this topic already exists, feel free to redirect me. I would appreciate it.



You're 19 you got a while to go. Plus there are quite a few 40+ people on this board. As a 24 year old which isn't old by any means I don't even think about age when it comes to anime. I have friends that are 50 and friends who are 15. Age really doesn't matter to me.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.