First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Perfect Collection
6031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Illinois
Offline
Posted 1/26/14 , edited 1/26/14
Hello, all. This is my first time posting on the forums at Crunchyroll. I'm fairly new as a subscriber as well, so forgive me if I broke the rules somehow.

I bought the NGE Perfect Collection a couple years ago for $20 at the flea market. It looked like it had all the correct discs--and for the most part it did--however, when I looked at them from the side today, I noticed that the first two discs were different. As you can see below:



I'm almost certain that this essentially breaks up what I thought was a complete collection, but now I'm wondering what the difference is between the discs. Are these two from a different region? Were they released in different years? Why are they different?
25569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 1/26/14 , edited 1/26/14
Did some hunting around, but couldn't find any sets with the bottom two cases like that. My guesses, like yours, are that they might have been produced by a different manufacturer or for a different region. Though I honestly doubt this will harm the integrity of the set, as they most likely contain the exact same content anyway. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Btw, not gonna lie, I'm kinda jealous of only paying $20 for that set
22406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 1/26/14
After checking with my set, which cost me a total of about $60, I'll say mine is proper, unlike yours.

I must ask, did you grab yours in the box set? Like, DO YOU HOLD THE CASE FOR THEM? THE CASE IS SUPER IMPORTANT.

I believe the first 2 are the original solo-dvd's while the remainders originally came in the boxed set. Who'ever sold it probably bought those two separate due to missing/lost cases or dvd's.

The disk's themselves are all the same, they were just released piece by piece, and once all the disks came out THEN they provided the Boxed Sets...you know, TO JACK OUR GOD DAMNED MONEY PIECE BY PIECE!

Oh the 90's/2000's.
24226 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 1/26/14
Seems legit to me. I'm jealous too, I can't find a legit copy of end of Evangelion anywhere except on ebay where people want like 60 bucks for it.
GerryO 
19624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Tyler, Texas
Offline
Posted 1/26/14 , edited 1/26/14
Wow you got them for $20 I'm pretty jealous >_<
I spent $35 on just collections 5-7, I really need to go to flea markets again I was able to find lots of cheap anime back in the day at those things
6031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Illinois
Offline
Posted 1/26/14
I noticed that the first two were released in 1999, too. So it's very likely that the first two are indeed part of the solo releases from before the whole box set. The most unfortunate part of this whole realization, though, is that I do not have the actual box that the set was supposed to come in. The flea market is riddled with what I call "partial treasures". lol. I was only able to snatch up what you see here. Nevertheless, I do believe it was a decent deal. If I could find the box and the first two original discs, it'd be great, of course, but I won't complain about a majority of the set for $20.

In any case, thanks so much for the info and help. I can tell the Crunchyroll community is gonna be great. lol.
6031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Illinois
Offline
Posted 1/26/14
Gems are littered around flea markets. They're hard to find, but I think it's worth it when you find yourself a decent deal like this. lol.
70016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/26/14 , edited 1/26/14
Do they have different copyright dates? I found a picture of a sleeve that matches your 1-2 boxes and it says 2000 on the back, while the release date on Amazon for the set that matches 3-8 is supposed to've been released on 2002.

My guess would be that they rereleased the set in 2002 and you've got a bit of both?

(Could be completely wrong.)

Edit: I feel behind in the conversation. That's a beautiful set though, regardless.
22406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 1/26/14

jAvocado wrote:

I noticed that the first two were released in 1999, too. So it's very likely that the first two are indeed part of the solo releases from before the whole box set. The most unfortunate part of this whole realization, though, is that I do not have the actual box that the set was supposed to come in. The flea market is riddled with what I call "partial treasures". lol. I was only able to snatch up what you see here. Nevertheless, I do believe it was a decent deal. If I could find the box and the first two original discs, it'd be great, of course, but I won't complain about a majority of the set for $20.

In any case, thanks so much for the info and help. I can tell the Crunchyroll community is gonna be great. lol.


what date does the rest of the set have? And THE BOX WAS THE BEST PART! I scoured the Amazon for a sex, used or new, that included a box. most of them run for about $90 without the box, but new regardless.

Honestly, if I had an extra 100, I'd buy the Berserk Box to go with my dvd's. They sold it with the single first dvd, and well, BOXES RULE. Flea markets are great...but down where I'm from you get nothing but Spanish dub's.

The community here is rather awesome, what with quoting people informing them you've quoting them allowing you to quote back and....yeah.

Just get yourself a picture, preferably one with a face ,and your set. Well, I prefer one with a face.
18026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/26/14 , edited 1/26/14
Honestly for 20$ as long as all the episodes are there I wouldnt complain at all..
6031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Illinois
Offline
Posted 1/26/14

Insomnist wrote:

Do they have different copyright dates? I found a picture of a sleeve that matches your 1-2 boxes and it says 2000 on the back, while the release date on Amazon for the set that matches 3-8 is supposed to've been released on 2002.

My guess would be that they rereleased the set in 2002 and you've got a bit of both?

(Could be completely wrong.)

Edit: I feel behind in the conversation. That's a beautiful set though, regardless.


You know, the more I look into it the more weird it gets. I'm not absolutely positive that the boxes are original, but I can say that the only consistency I see is that the first two from the bottom (eps 21-26) are copyright 2001, the next five are from 2000 eps 9-20 (that's including the suspected solo release of Ep 5-8). And then the final at the top is copyright 1999 (Ep 1-4)

This is getting very weird.

6031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Illinois
Offline
Posted 1/26/14

vrocha897 wrote:

Honestly for 20$ as long as all the episodes are there I wouldnt complain at all..


I don't mind too much. But if all I need are a couple discs to have the full legit set, why not find out for sure? That's just me.
6031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Illinois
Offline
Posted 1/26/14

Felstalker wrote:


jAvocado wrote:

I noticed that the first two were released in 1999, too. So it's very likely that the first two are indeed part of the solo releases from before the whole box set. The most unfortunate part of this whole realization, though, is that I do not have the actual box that the set was supposed to come in. The flea market is riddled with what I call "partial treasures". lol. I was only able to snatch up what you see here. Nevertheless, I do believe it was a decent deal. If I could find the box and the first two original discs, it'd be great, of course, but I won't complain about a majority of the set for $20.

In any case, thanks so much for the info and help. I can tell the Crunchyroll community is gonna be great. lol.


what date does the rest of the set have? And THE BOX WAS THE BEST PART! I scoured the Amazon for a sex, used or new, that included a box. most of them run for about $90 without the box, but new regardless.

Honestly, if I had an extra 100, I'd buy the Berserk Box to go with my dvd's. They sold it with the single first dvd, and well, BOXES RULE. Flea markets are great...but down where I'm from you get nothing but Spanish dub's.

The community here is rather awesome, what with quoting people informing them you've quoting them allowing you to quote back and....yeah.

Just get yourself a picture, preferably one with a face ,and your set. Well, I prefer one with a face.


See my reply to Insomnist.
17869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 1/26/14
is it possable the first two might have been bootlegs? Back in the day Hong Kong was churning out bootleg dvds like crazy
6031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Illinois
Offline
Posted 1/26/14

uncletim wrote:

is it possable the first two might have been bootlegs? Back in the day Hong Kong was churning out bootleg dvds like crazy


It's possible. But it's fairly easy spot a bootleg of most things, I think. The first two are fairly consistent in quality in terms of the paper used for the cover art and inserts. Bootlegs are possible, but I'm not entirely convinced.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.