First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Fanservice
Koda89 
33622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Online
Posted 2/3/14

MacMeaties wrote:

What uncletim said. Fanservice includes but is not inclusively limited to titillation.

Shows like Lucky Star and Nyarko-san or any other reference heavy show IS FANSERVICE.
Robotics;Notes having a divergence meter in it was fanservice.
Girls Und Panzer having a Maus in it was fanservice.
Any time a sports anime gets into sporting jargon or famous historical sporting events that is fanservice.

Saying you don't like fanservice is exactly the same as saying you don't like having a show pander to or acknowledge the interests of its own fanbase. You are saying you dislike a show trying to connect to its viewer.

If you don't like gratuitous amounts of titillation/eroticism or sexualization that is fine but please for the love of Odin's mighty beard stop umbrella terming it as fanservice. Ecchi is a more appropriate term for this.

TL:DR = ANYTHING AIMED AT PLEASING THE AUDIENCE IS FANSERVICE!!!


Ecchi is a genre, though....

Not everything with sexual fanservice is ecchi.

The problem is there is no term that perfectly describes this. Ecchi is more of a genre than a general term, so it doesn't work, because as I already said not everything that features this in any form is ecchi. Otherwise any dang show with a beach/swimsuit episode is suddenly ecchi.

And fanservice doesn't exactly work, because while this is fanservice, it is only a particular type.

I mean I guess everyone could type out sexual fanservice, as that is what it really is, but people are lazy and want a single word term they can quickly type out.
25024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 2/3/14 , edited 2/3/14

Koda89 wrote

Ecchi is a genre, though....

Not everything with sexual fanservice is ecchi.

The problem is there is no term that perfectly describes this. Ecchi is more of a genre than a general term, so it doesn't work, because as I already said not everything that features this in any form is ecchi. Otherwise any dang show with a beach/swimsuit episode is suddenly ecchi.

And fanservice doesn't exactly work, because while this is fanservice, it is only a particular type.

I mean I guess everyone could type out sexual fanservice, as that is what it really is, but people are lazy and want a single word term they can quickly type out.


Using fanservice to mean titillation is too vague a term though. It is like saying I want Manchester United to win at the sports. Yes soccer is a sport so it isn't technically incorrect to say that but it is annoyingly vague and inappropriate given the specific context.

Basically I think more people need to say titillation rather than fanservice because using a vague term in a specific context is horrifically annoying XD
17879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Online
Posted 2/3/14

Koda89 wrote:


MacMeaties wrote:

What uncletim said. Fanservice includes but is not inclusively limited to titillation.

Shows like Lucky Star and Nyarko-san or any other reference heavy show IS FANSERVICE.
Robotics;Notes having a divergence meter in it was fanservice.
Girls Und Panzer having a Maus in it was fanservice.
Any time a sports anime gets into sporting jargon or famous historical sporting events that is fanservice.

Saying you don't like fanservice is exactly the same as saying you don't like having a show pander to or acknowledge the interests of its own fanbase. You are saying you dislike a show trying to connect to its viewer.

If you don't like gratuitous amounts of titillation/eroticism or sexualization that is fine but please for the love of Odin's mighty beard stop umbrella terming it as fanservice. Ecchi is a more appropriate term for this.

TL:DR = ANYTHING AIMED AT PLEASING THE AUDIENCE IS FANSERVICE!!!


Ecchi is a genre, though....

Not everything with sexual fanservice is ecchi.

The problem is there is no term that perfectly describes this. Ecchi is more of a genre than a general term, so it doesn't work, because as I already said not everything that features this in any form is ecchi. Otherwise any dang show with a beach/swimsuit episode is suddenly ecchi.

And fanservice doesn't exactly work, because while this is fanservice, it is only a particular type.

I mean I guess everyone could type out sexual fanservice, as that is what it really is, but people are lazy and want a single word term they can quickly type out.


While I agree with you think what Big Mac (sorry couldn't help it) and I are trying to put forth is most western anime fans use the term just for sexual fanservice and that they don't grasps the full meaning. Take Spice and Wolf would you consider it an eechi show? I for one would not. But a lot of western fans would call it fanservice heavy which it isn't

(btw your avatar is freaking cute)

17562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 2/3/14
It's pointless and unneeded unless it relates to the situation the character is currently in. Generally, though, I just don't care for it. I think it's unnecessary.
Koda89 
33622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Online
Posted 2/3/14 , edited 2/3/14

MacMeaties wrote:


Koda89 wrote

Ecchi is a genre, though....

Not everything with sexual fanservice is ecchi.

The problem is there is no term that perfectly describes this. Ecchi is more of a genre than a general term, so it doesn't work, because as I already said not everything that features this in any form is ecchi. Otherwise any dang show with a beach/swimsuit episode is suddenly ecchi.

And fanservice doesn't exactly work, because while this is fanservice, it is only a particular type.

I mean I guess everyone could type out sexual fanservice, as that is what it really is, but people are lazy and want a single word term they can quickly type out.


Using fanservice to mean titillation is too vague a term though. It is like saying I want Manchester United to win at the sports. Yes soccer is a sport so it isn't technically incorrect to say that but it is annoyingly vague and inappropriate given the specific context.

Basically I think more people need to say titillation rather than fanservice because using a vague term in a specific context is horrifically annoying XD


True.

Though I guess people could use "plot", as that has kinda caught on as being another way to say t&a, but the. That causes the confusion on whether or not they are referring to jiggly bits or the actual plot of the show(which gets really confusing on a show with both t&a and a pretty decent or better plot).
25024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 2/3/14
That sort of PLOT is in capitals Glorious jiggly PLOT.
20421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/3/14
As much as I agree with MacMeaties, I'm lazy and will continue to call it fanservice so people know what I'm talking about. An example of good fanservice is Spice and Wolf, it's actually used to show Holo's character. At the start she doesn't care who see her body. However after beginning to develop feelings for... what's his name (I can't believe I forgot) She becomes more self conscious. Wait... Kraft Lawrence, that was his name.
Sogno- 
45722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/3/14
only fanservice i enjoyed was from Free!
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 2/3/14
This has been discussed to death before.

Fanservice works fine as a comedy or horror device or if done with taste and tact.

However, if it's meant to pointlessly excite the hormones of a juvenile audience, then it's no more than baseless garbage that drastically polarizes the potential fan-base.

It's lazy writing and lazy animation that's added only because it's a cheap way to market it. Congratulations on, like the rest of us, being part of a cheap marketing tactic that's meant to get cheap points in lieu of talent or impressive storytelling.
1651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Mor Dhona
Offline
Posted 2/3/14 , edited 2/3/14
I don't mind a little fanservice, but relying on it exclusively for ratings or to sell products really grinds my gears.

Take Super Sonico: The Animation or the Saber Bride outfit.

SS:TA only exists basically because the character herself is extremely popular because... fanservice. It's a slice-of-life comedy with an airhead moéblob protagonist - how many of those exist already, and how much Sonico merchandise was announced shortly before / after it began airing?

For Saber Bride... the outfit doesn't really fit Saber Extra's personality except in the regard that it gets her the attention she loves - anyone who has actually played Extra knows she is far from the pure virgin it suggests (it's even sometimes called "Virgin Bride"). Yet she's getting oodles of attention because of it - not because she's a great character (which she can be), but because it's a very fanservicey outfit, especially with the front zipper undone to show off her cleavage and midriff. I felt a lot of people didn't really know her as a character (as evidenced by people going, "Why does Saber have boobs?") and were just thinking Saber + Cleavage = Hawtness.
215285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 2/3/14

HauAreWe wrote:

This has been discussed to death before.


Koda89 
33622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Online
Posted 2/3/14

Genbu89 wrote:

I don't mind a little fanservice, but relying on it exclusively for ratings or to sell products really grinds my gears.

Take Super Sonico: The Animation or the Saber Bride outfit.

SS:TA only exists basically because the character herself is extremely popular because... fanservice. It's a slice-of-life comedy with an airhead moéblob protagonist - how many of those exist already, and how much Sonico merchandise was announced shortly before / after it began airing?

For Saber Bride... the outfit doesn't really fit Saber Extra's personality except in the regard that it gets her the attention she loves - anyone who has actually played Extra knows she is far from the pure virgin it suggests (it's even sometimes called "Virgin Bride"). Yet she's getting oodles of attention because of it - not because she's a great character (which she can be), but because it's a very fanservicey outfit, especially with the front zipper undone to show off her cleavage and midriff. I felt a lot of people didn't really know her as a character (as evidenced by people going, "Why does Saber have boobs?") and were just thinking Saber + Cleavage = Hawtness.


Except Super Sonico has barely any fanservice/PLOT/whathaveyou in it. Sure each episode has at least a tiny bit, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't have a lot. Most certainly not enough for it to be the main selling point of the show.
95164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/3/14
ultimately it comes down to "Does the show have anything else going for it?"


As was mentioned above Fanservice isn't just Boing and Panty shots. It's anything in the Genre thrown in for the sole purpose of pleasing the people watching. Regardless of what form it takes, throwing fanservice at the viewers relentlessly ends up being a turn off. The Show actually has to be able to stand on it's own two feet, if Fanservice is being used to prop up an otherwise awful show it becomes pretty apparent after a few episodes.

Fanservice is seasoning
It makes the dish better when used with care but very few people want to eat a cup of salt on it's own.
23568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / 727 The Zoo
Offline
Posted 2/3/14
WHO DOESN'T LOVE FAN SERVICE?!/1/!?

5447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / Tacoma, WA. wind...
Offline
Posted 2/3/14
I used to have a website devoted to fanservice.... The $40 or $50+ a month for magazines and the time spent scanning and fiddling with it got a bit old. Fanservice is mostly to entice people to watch the shows and buy character goods. They make WAAAAAAYYYYYY more money off of character goods than DVD/BluRay or streaming sales.

There's probably deeper reasons for fanservice but I just like to enjoy it... Except for some of the loli-com/creepy stuff....



First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.