First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
IGN gives their top 25 greatest anime characters.
32274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/4/14
Not a bad list. Nice to see Lain and Blackjack on the list.
But it like someone was doing the list and half way said 'oh crap we need some female chars' give some from some popular shows!

I wish they had kept it to one char per show..
6607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/4/14
I disagree with Shinji even being on that list, not because I hated him, but because I couldn't. The article tries to paint him as "the most human character ever" or something like that, but I don't think that's true. By the time I finished NGE and EoE, I couldn't feel anything towards him because I couldn't see him as human. At some point, he just became more or less of a conscious vegetable.

Other than that it was ok

6.5/10
215355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Online
Posted 2/4/14 , edited 2/4/14
Major only one spot away from top 10? ...

What, she's #1 in my book there.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/4/14

happy-pizza-face wrote:

I expect nothing less than from IGN, crappy content.


You can't spell Ignorant without IGN. They can go f-themselves. I'd say that even if agreed with their list, (which I didn't bother to read) They get NO CLICKS from me.


22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 2/4/14

Koda89 wrote:

.


I'll, argue for Shinji.

Hell, if you were to change Shinji's Gender from Male to Female, he'd be far less complex, but far far far more liked.

Shinji's character is very damn feminine, and the entire cast of NGE spends their time insulting him for it. You keep hearing the phrase "man up" and "You're the only one who can do it"

Why the hell don't they get onto Asuka or Rei for being shitty pilots? Why's it always gotta be Shinji who mans up? The socially awkward, abandonment issues, 14 year old who's first day in a Giant Robot involved being guilt-tripped (If you don't pilot this robot, we'll get a crippled girl to do it!) followed by having his eyes raped.
The next few fights involve him; List of spoilers

Shinji is a complex character being forced to live up to absurd social standards that tell him to be a leader, even when he's weak, pathetic, and barely alive.
Shinji is not a likable character. He spends a lot of his time straight up ignoring other characters, and sometimes even goes out of his way to mock them. He should have our pity, not our hate.

As far as I'm concerned, that list is in no particular order. It's just the favorite characters of whoever wrote the list. He hasn't seen as much anime as those in the thread, if he had, HE'D HAVE PUT UP BETTER CHARACTERS.

Afro? Seriously? His imaginary friend had more character. The character VOICING him had more character. The guy who thought "we should make a Samurai who has an Afro" would be a good idea has more Character.

Did anybody else read this?
Guts
First anime series: Berserk: Legendary Wind Sword, 1997


Whaaaaaaaaat? I'm still laughing at that one.

Vash at 20? Get out. That's just...seriously? Have you even SEEN Trigun within the past 10 years? A pacifist who's anything but passive. A man that goes out of the damn way to insure nobody kills or dies? I'm talking way way way out of the way. The entire plot involves forcing him to break his moral code, putting him up against obstacles in which "Everybody lives" is impossible. This guy is at 20? Naaah. Trigun too deep for this fellow, lets get back to watching Spongebob here.

Oh, Lelouch? Again? Have you SEEN Mobile Suit Gundam? Ain't you ever hear of Char, Char Motha-fuckin Aznable, the guy for which Lelouch is a 100% Clone of? Right down to the younger sister, theme of revenge, mask, White Protype-Gundam rival? If Sunrise themselves didn't make it, they'da sure as hell would've sued someone for trying.

Hmmm, Goku's on here sure, but once I saw Vaggeta I thought "Ok, we don't need Goku now, we got the more complex character here"
and well enough, motherfucker shows up. Goku you're like, top 100 sure.....but you're not in the top 25 man, Vaggeta is, but you're just not that complex.

It's got the most socially known characters. But no Rintaro Okabe? No Lina Inverse? No Char Aznable? No Holo? No Kamina? No Saber? No Tetsuo? No Haruhi? Hell, why is Kakashi even on this list? He's neat sure, he's visually done hella right. But like, for realz? He's on this list?
Hell, we don't have a One Piece character either. Has this guy seen any Anime in the past 10 years? How about any anime older than 20?

Where'res my Ken-oh Sama? My Kamille Bidan? Satsuki-Sama? Lady Haman? Gon and Killua? That crossdressing kid from Genshiken?

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan shit. Ain't you gotta do research before you put out a list?

17891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 2/4/14

Angerudusto wrote:

I disagree with Shinji even being on that list, not because I hated him, but because I couldn't. The article tries to paint him as "the most human character ever" or something like that, but I don't think that's true. By the time I finished NGE and EoE, I couldn't feel anything towards him because I couldn't see him as human. At some point, he just became more or less of a conscious vegetable.

Other than that it was ok

6.5/10


I am sorry but I must disagree I think Shinji is the most human character in anime just for the reasons you stated, Any real 14 year old boy who wen through what he went through (you notice they never paided him once you think he would at lest draw hazard duty pay) they would most likely wind up a conscious vegetable. The fact that he was able to get in the robot time and time again is proof he was and is stronger willed then everyone on that list

2924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Somewhere
Offline
Posted 2/4/14
I still say Spike Spiegal should have been number 1. He's badass and doesn't need mechs or swords to a badass
180320 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Somewhere in arizona
Offline
Posted 2/4/14
Most of the characters that they put on there have been on TV
Weird Right?
6607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/4/14

uncletim wrote:


Angerudusto wrote:

I disagree with Shinji even being on that list, not because I hated him, but because I couldn't. The article tries to paint him as "the most human character ever" or something like that, but I don't think that's true. By the time I finished NGE and EoE, I couldn't feel anything towards him because I couldn't see him as human. At some point, he just became more or less of a conscious vegetable.

Other than that it was ok

6.5/10


I am sorry but I must disagree I think Shinji is the most human character in anime just for the reasons you stated, Any real 14 year old boy who wen through what he went through (you notice they never paided him once you think he would at lest draw hazard duty pay) they would most likely wind up a conscious vegetable. The fact that he was able to get in the robot time and time again is proof he was and is stronger willed then everyone on that list



It wasn't his experiences that made him a vegetable IMO, it was the writing.

104111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 2/4/14
The list is SO mainstream it is... well, bad for anime.

"What anime have you watched"?

Answer: EVA

...

Oh, anything else?

naw, EVA is the best anime EVA!

...


*mainstream anime is bad for anime*
22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 2/4/14

Angerudusto wrote:

It wasn't his experiences that made him a vegetable IMO, it was the writing.



Because that's how men are socially expected to act!

Sure sure, you're in pain, physically at your limit. You're emotionally unstable, all the crazy shit got to you and you're a broken man, everyone you loved is dead or worse. Hell, you don't even LIKE anybody, you'd rather let these damned Aliens kill everybody in the world, that was the assholes couldn't get away with all that bull shit.

But making a girl pilot a mecha and save the day?

NOT OVER MY DEAD BODY! BITCHES GO BACK TO THE KITCHEN, IT'S A MANS TURN TO SAVE THE MOTHER FUCKIN DAY.

Well, that's why Shinji was expected to fight, even after all that bullshit. Where they just sit down and say "well, Asuka's worthless.....might as well fire her ass... Not Shinji tho, he's a guy. He's stuck for life."
21167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / orbiting Jupiter
Offline
Posted 2/4/14 , edited 2/4/14

AnimeKami wrote*mainstream anime is bad for anime*


I have to disagree with that. With out the "mainstream" anime people would most likely not get into anime at all. In the past that was very true. Not so much with the internet these days though.
104111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 2/4/14

bluebattletech wrote:


AnimeKami wrote*mainstream anime is bad for anime*


I have to disagree with that. With out the "mainstream" anime people would most likely not get into anime at all. In the past that was very true. Not so much with the internet these days though.


change mainstream to "classic"
40325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Free World Jail
Offline
Posted 2/4/14
I wonder what Crunchyroll's "top 25 greatest anime characters" list would look like...

I sense a great number of Madoka, Clannad, and Monogatari characters. Maybe a splash of Steins;Gate and AOT.
6607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/4/14

Felstalker wrote:




Because that's how men are socially expected to act!

Sure sure, you're in pain, physically at your limit. You're emotionally unstable, all the crazy shit got to you and you're a broken man, everyone you loved is dead or worse. Hell, you don't even LIKE anybody, you'd rather let these damned Aliens kill everybody in the world, that was the assholes couldn't get away with all that bull shit.

But making a girl pilot a mecha and save the day?

NOT OVER MY DEAD BODY! BITCHES GO BACK TO THE KITCHEN, IT'S A MANS TURN TO SAVE THE MOTHER FUCKIN DAY.

Well, that's why Shinji was expected to fight, even after all that bullshit. Where they just sit down and say "well, Asuka's worthless.....might as well fire her ass... Not Shinji tho, he's a guy. He's stuck for life."


Forgive me, I'm a greedy Capitalist that just can't seem to understand Honor Culture.

Maybe it's the money.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.