First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
IGN gives their top 25 greatest anime characters.
7024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/4/14
A very mainstream list but thought it was pretty good considering that it was made by IGN.
17879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 2/4/14

AnimeKami wrote:

The list is SO mainstream it is... well, bad for anime.

"What anime have you watched"?

Answer: EVA

...

Oh, anything else?

naw, EVA is the best anime EVA!

...


*mainstream anime is bad for anime*


How is EVA even close to being mainstream? When I think Mainstream I think the big three and SAO and AoT even pokimon not EVA

47764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 2/4/14
aaawwwhh... I expected better meltdown.

obviously Levi should be #1 ... o__o
22215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 2/4/14
Guys keep in mind this is IGN we are talking about. The same company paid by Microsoft and Activison to give good reviews on bad stuff.
22557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 2/4/14 , edited 2/4/14
5 pages of IGN to read that list. FIVE. PAGES. I would rather go through hell on my fat belly than go back to that horrible site! *cries in the corner*
47764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 2/4/14

flamingboar wrote:

5 pages of IGN to read that list. FIVE. PAGES. I would rather go through hell on my fat belly than go back to that horrible site! *cries in the corner*


I just looked at the pictures...who needs reading
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/4/14

mahoshojo03 wrote:


GoldTStar wrote:

Wait, where's Kirito?



Um, no. Kirito does not belong in lists like these. He's one of the worst protagonists of all time simply because he's a textbook example of a Deus Ex Machina-spamming Mary Sue/Gary Stu. Don't even suggest crap like that.


But really now, judging by this list, it seems the one who made it is a casual simply because his knowledge of anime is limited mostly to those 90s or early 2000s shonen anime that aired in Toonami. I mean, Naruto? FLCL? DBZ? Trigun? Cowboy Bebop?! Berserk? And friggin' Afro Samurai?! Many of those are just entry-level generic shonen/seinen anime meant for new anime fans! Oh, and don't even get me started on Cowboy Bebop. Spike DOES NOT deserve to be top 2 on that list. Cowboy Bebop is just an overrated generic sci-fi anime that's very episodic and forgettable in nature. The only reason why Westerners bow down to this thing like sheep is because they saw it on Toonami as kids, back during the days when the US was still anime-deprived. The fact that a generic Hollywood protagonist like Spike scored way higher than a masterfully-written character like Lelouch just astounds me. In Japan and parts of Asia, where anime is much more common, Cowboy Bebop actually tanked hard. Go figure why.


Where are the REAL masterpieces at? Where are the Utena characters? Where's Stein's Gate? Where's Madoka Magica? Where are the AIR characters? Kanon? Or Angel Beats? Where are the AnoHana characters? Or hell, where's Gundam Unicorn? Where's .hack//SIGN and .hack//Liminality? Where the hell are Gurren Lagann characters? Where are the UtaKata girls? Where are the lovable cast of OreImo? Hell, where is Cardcaptor Sakura? All of these shows I listed have much better and more complex characters than most of the Toonami/Shonen Jump garbage that IGN listed!

To their credit though, at least IGN listed characters from Evangelion, Death Note, and Code Geass on their list. At least I also agree that those shows had awesome characters.



Sorry, Lelouche was just a Bryonic Hero, (invented in around the 1800's in the west) 'ported into a typical anime world with tropes we've seen from all the classics:

Mecha, Occupied Japan, Evil Imperiallistic Americans/Europeans, Katana trumping guns, sexual deviants...

Other than that, I have to agree. Especially if they left out Utena. (she and her cohort have been around for ages)

Mind you the IGNorant don't get my clicks so I have no idea who they actually picked. I'm sure it was horrible though.

104095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 2/4/14

uncletim wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

The list is SO mainstream it is... well, bad for anime.

"What anime have you watched"?

Answer: EVA

...

Oh, anything else?

naw, EVA is the best anime EVA!

...


*mainstream anime is bad for anime*


How is EVA even close to being mainstream? When I think Mainstream I think the big three and SAO and AoT even pokimon not EVA



replace mainstream with classic
Rohzek 
15004 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 2/4/14 , edited 2/4/14

mahoshojo03 wrote:


GoldTStar wrote:

Wait, where's Kirito?



Um, no. Kirito does not belong in lists like these. He's one of the worst protagonists of all time simply because he's a textbook example of a Deus Ex Machina-spamming Mary Sue/Gary Stu. Don't even suggest crap like that.


But really now, judging by this list, it seems the one who made it is a casual simply because his knowledge of anime is limited mostly to those 90s or early 2000s shonen anime that aired in Toonami. I mean, Naruto? FLCL? DBZ? Trigun? Cowboy Bebop?! Berserk? And friggin' Afro Samurai?! Many of those are just entry-level generic shonen/seinen anime meant for new anime fans! Oh, and don't even get me started on Cowboy Bebop. Spike DOES NOT deserve to be top 2 on that list. Cowboy Bebop is just an overrated generic sci-fi anime that's very episodic and forgettable in nature. The only reason why Westerners bow down to this thing like sheep is because they saw it on Toonami as kids, back during the days when the US was still anime-deprived. The fact that a generic Hollywood protagonist like Spike scored way higher than a masterfully-written character like Lelouch just astounds me. In Japan and parts of Asia, where anime is much more common, Cowboy Bebop actually tanked hard. Go figure why.


Where are the REAL masterpieces at? Where are the Utena characters? Where's Stein's Gate? Where's Madoka Magica? Where are the AIR characters? Kanon? Or Angel Beats? Where are the AnoHana characters? Or hell, where's Gundam Unicorn? Where's .hack//SIGN and .hack//Liminality? Where the hell are Gurren Lagann characters? Where are the UtaKata girls? Where are the lovable cast of OreImo? Hell, where is Cardcaptor Sakura? All of these shows I listed have much better and more complex characters than most of the Toonami/Shonen Jump garbage that IGN listed!

To their credit though, at least IGN listed characters from Evangelion, Death Note, and Code Geass on their list. At least I also agree that those shows had awesome characters.



I wasn't ever aware Beserk was considered casual. Maybe I just have downs though.

I'ma go ahead and defend Cowboy Bebop briefly. It has some really cool themes regarding the past, and I for one enjoy that (maybe it's because I am a historian). For sure, it is pretty episodic, but it does have a very real over-arching theme as each character comes to grip with their past in their own unique way. Some confront it and lose, some confront it and win/move on, and some run away from it and build a new life. I think it captured the beauty of humanity and the "to-each-their-own" way of solving deep personal problems that many people tend to encounter in their lives (being haunted by their past in some way). And because of that, Cowboy Bebop struck a cord that many animes tend not to do for me.

Now allow me to make myself very unpopular here and issue my own critiques about some of the anime you say should be on the list.

Cardcaptors? Child's play. I'd be more entertained watching a documentary on Terri Schiavo and her gurgling noises.

.hack//SIGN? It was a decent anime, but honestly nothing came across to me as really deep. I can't say anything bad about it. It was good and very enjoyable. But none of the characters really struck me as memorable.

Gundam Unicorn? I'm gonna go throw up.

Gurren Lagann? The first half of Gurren Lagann was FANTASTIC! But after that, it was like watching a horse get beaten with cliché after cliché. It lasted way too long, and quite frankly was painful to finish.

314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Nowhere Islands
Offline
Posted 2/4/14
This list could've been way worse coming from IGN you know but to me, it's pretty decent.
3294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Australia
Offline
Posted 2/4/14
That list isn't half bad and I agree with quite alot of them...... just not number1... I mean come on really.
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 2/5/14 , edited 2/5/14
Minus the character from monster, Lain, and Haruhi from Ouran, it seems to be a list of popular characters from some of the most mainstream shounen action anime that they could have possibly added.

No. They're not the "greatest" anime characters, and they're certainly not ground-breaking.

To be honest, I was surprised not to find the list crammed full of nothing but the Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bebop, and Evangelion characters.
71056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/5/14 , edited 2/5/14
I'll also throw my weight (such as it is) behind Shinji.

I don't know if I would've made him #1, but I don't find it strange for him to be in the top 5.


seekerperson7 wrote:

Interesting.

I guess i'm quite the oddball anime fan because I don't really care for any of those characters except Kenshin, Haruhi, and Lain.

As a matter of fact, the list seems very... I don't know how to put it... maybe "shoneny?" or "seineny?" I feel like they just threw Haruhi in there as a token shoujo character or something...

It's very mainstream American. Although I was also quite happy to see Lain.


happy-pizza-face wrote:

Sakura and Sausage




Felstalker wrote:

Did anybody else read this?
Guts
First anime series: Berserk: Legendary Wind Sword, 1997


Whaaaaaaaaat? I'm still laughing at that one.




papagolfwhiskey wrote:

Sorry, Lelouche was just a Bryonic Hero

I learned a thing!


kotomikun wrote:

Main thing I couldn't help noticing:

25: Woman (dressed like a man)
24-15: Men
14-9: Women, plus Vegeta
8-1: Men

From this we can conclude that a) IGN almost forgot to include female characters at all in their list of sociopathic badass dudes, and b) Vegeta is a trap.

Alright, I'll put my foot in the beartrap.

Do you think that, given this list's criteria for selection (particularly the heavy bent towards big-name characters in the American market, who've been around for several years if not several decades and have high/near-instantaneous name recognition) that it would be possible to populate a list equally with members of both sexes? With a list this small, 24% representation doesn't seem like a bad thing, and they were stretching to get that (Asuka surprised me a lot).

Who could arguably be on this list, that have that "snap-of-the-fingers" recognition factor in America, and are female, have been around awhile, and who have a stronger presence than the male characters they share the screen with?

Because I don't think there are many. Although I also suck at making these kinds of lists.
Posted 2/5/14
You can't spell IGNORANCE without IGN
38909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/5/14 , edited 2/5/14
Pretty bland list from my perspective. I also agree that women were dramatically underrepresented, EVEN by IGN's standards.


There are many factors involved here: legacy, impact, recognition. But for this list, the most important factor was artistic greatness. We were looking for characters who were something special for their time; unique and powerful in their own way. But, most importantly, we selected characters who changed what we thought anime could be. Characters who weren't so special didn't make the cut, even if they're famous. Sure, there are many anime characters who are wildly famous and provide the engine for a commercial machine, but sales and marketing don't make a character great. Skillful writing, design, and ingenuity make a character great.


^That's what they wrote. Read through it and take a look at the blatant (and hilarious) contradictions that are there.

Red: FREAKING LOL. They have criteria that is more important than their "most important factor." Just smh over here...

Blue: So having wide-spread recognition isn't enough? Okay, I buy that. Still, seems like a double standard, given some of the characters they chose.

Green: Oooo they are sneaky, adding conditions AFTER all the qualifiers, instead of putting them up with the rest of their criteria.

Also, Death Note is the most recent anime on the list? Suspicious. Did recognizable, good characters just stop being created after Death Note?


EDIT: I do also have to laugh at all the "mainstream list" comments. Man, we are such hipsters over at CR...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.