First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Spoilers
8515 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Illinois
Offline
Posted 2/5/14

dougeprofile wrote:

In reading through the comments of anime some people tend to get very upset over "spoilers", most of the time in reading these spoilers I have a "Huh? THAT was a spoiler?" reaction. Even clicking on the tag rarely reveals to me what I would consider a spoiler and it is pretty rare for something like that to bother me even if it is a genuine spoiler; sometimes I enjoy reading the comments before a video, but if you are really afraid of spoilers, why would you do that? Personally I think the spoiler tag is more overused than underused and some people need to chill a little and not get so "uptight".

What is a spoiler, and when should the spoiler tag be used? Should a person wary of spoilers even read the comments before watching?


I usually wait for a series to finish and then try to find spoilers to see how it ended. That determines if I feel the show is worth watching. I do the same thing with crunchy. Watch a few episodes, if it's REALLY good I'll go watch the last episode. If that passes the test I don't watch the rest and wait for a hopeful us release.

I prefer my first viewing experience be the glorious uncensored high def version rather than a butchered kiddy grade censored release.

But to answer your question, a spoiler is a major plot or story point given away that someone who has not watched said series or episode does not know about. For example: The 16th episode of Clannad after story just aired today. I can't believe
.

People sometimes go 'spoiler happy' to play it safe. Rather then deal with people whining over it, they will spoiler essentially anything that is not an opinion. Example: Wow, just watched episode 29348293489234 of naruto... can you believe that he's
.

Either way is fine. Personally I don't really care. If I absolutely had to choose one or the other though I'd rather have to highlight text from a spoiler than listen to the next 20 posts complaining about it.

75910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/5/14 , edited 2/5/14
I can be hypertensive about spoilers, even minor ones. In general I want to know nothing until the anime tells me.

That said, people read episode comments? What the hell for?
75442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/5/14
Think everyone else has got 'What a spoiler is' pretty much surrounded.

Of course there's different severity of spoiler and some people want you to spoiler speculation.
The big Secret denouement of 'The Crying Game' was a big deal in the early nineties. Now I doubt anyone remembers the movie

More recent was the efforts of the book readers of Game of Thrones not to spoil the TV watchers regarding an event labeled 'The Red Wedding"


As a general rule of thumb anything that I can reasonably expect other participants to the thread not to know, and to not want to know until they see it themselves. I will spoiler. Although for the most part I don't spoil easily. While I attempt to be courteous I'm less likely to worry about a humourous throwaway comment by a known character, or a predicted and predicable trope, than I am about a major plot twist.

I also use spoilers to cut down on spam. the spoiler tag allows me to leave another poster's entire post intact (something I like to do to avoid accusations of misquoting or cherry picking in a debate) while keeping the giant 'quote pyramid' (a violation of forum rules) in check.

9791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 2/5/14
75910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/5/14

EspeoangeTieler wrote:


Hopefully nobody reads that who hasn't finished Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. But bonus points for irony.
75442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/5/14 , edited 2/5/14
Indeed other side of a spoiler is to describe the contents in some way so that folk know what to expect beneath. otherwise people with either a) not open an innocent spoiler for fear of being spoiled b) open one that had something critical within and defeat the purpose of the tag.

I have a question for you all. What's the shelf life of a plot twist or serious spoiler? No one cares the Darth Vader is Luke's father anymore but what's the "sell by" date? is Eight years enough? Ten? When?

Personally, I figure the odds that someone will be exposed to a plot twist increase exponentially with every year. and don't really consider something anywhere from five to ten years old and/or has been well proliferated (I know about the 'Red Wedding' and have neither read Game of Thrones nor Watched the TV show of the same name)


Conversely, if a show is still airing. I think it's just about a guarentee you're going to spoil someone here if you talk about an episode before it's CR air date.

9791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 2/5/14

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

Indeed other side of a spoiler is to describe the contents in some way so that folk know what to expect beneath. otherwise people with either a) not open an innocent spoiler for fear of being spoiled b) open one that had something critical within and defeat the purpose of the tag.

I have a question for you all. What's the shelf life of a plot twist or serious spoiler? No one cares the Darth Vader is Luke's father anymore but what's the "sell by" date? is Eight years enough? Ten? When?


until ive watched it why do people have to ruin it for younger people who may not have been able to watch something?
75442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/5/14 , edited 2/5/14

EspeoangeTieler wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

Indeed other side of a spoiler is to describe the contents in some way so that folk know what to expect beneath. otherwise people with either a) not open an innocent spoiler for fear of being spoiled b) open one that had something critical within and defeat the purpose of the tag.

I have a question for you all. What's the shelf life of a plot twist or serious spoiler? No one cares the Darth Vader is Luke's father anymore but what's the "sell by" date? is Eight years enough? Ten? When?


until ive watched it why do people have to ruin it for younger people who may not have been able to watch something?


How long is reasonable to expect the person A) hasn't watched it or been spoiled by the general media/popular culture.

While I think it's unfair to talk about a current show half the active watchers of which probably haven't seen.
I also don't think it's fair to say I'm discourteous because I never mentioned a plot twist in a dumb tv show. until hit mandatory retirement.

I'm sorry I think is reasonable to set a time/exposure limit. before a spoiler becomes stale.


and you totally missed the point DIRECTED AT YOU about labeling your spoiler tags so that people know if it's wise to open them or not. Spoiler tags get used for more than spoilers.

... What about you ruining it for the people who haven't watched TTGL yet? Don't act like a hypocrite please.


Or does it only matter if YOU haven't watched it yet?



75910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/5/14 , edited 2/5/14

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

I have a question for you all. What's the shelf life of a plot twist or serious spoiler? No one cares the Darth Vader is Luke's father anymore but what's the "sell by" date? is Eight years enough? Ten? When?

Personally, I figure the odds that someone will be exposed to a plot twist increase exponentially with every year. and don't really consider something anywhere from five to ten years old and/or has been well proliferated (I know about the 'Red Wedding' and have neither read Game of Thrones nor Watched the TV show of the same name)

This is trickier for anime since it's a foreign cultural medium. If you grow up in the US you've had ample opportunity to figure out if you care about Star Wars spoilers or not, but if someone steps into anime a spoiler from a show 20 years ago could still be relevant. If Star Wars were an anime I'd still go out of my way not to spoil it in casual conversation.

If I did I could be reducing the capacity for innocent passersby to appreciate it fully.

Hell, someone was just posting here last week who didn't know that one special thing about School Days.
9791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 2/5/14

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


EspeoangeTieler wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

Indeed other side of a spoiler is to describe the contents in some way so that folk know what to expect beneath. otherwise people with either a) not open an innocent spoiler for fear of being spoiled b) open one that had something critical within and defeat the purpose of the tag.

I have a question for you all. What's the shelf life of a plot twist or serious spoiler? No one cares the Darth Vader is Luke's father anymore but what's the "sell by" date? is Eight years enough? Ten? When?


until ive watched it why do people have to ruin it for younger people who may not have been able to watch something?


How long is reasonable to expect the person A) hasn't watched it or been spoiled by the general media/popular culture.

While I think it's unfair to talk about a current show half the active watchers of which probably haven't seen.
I also don't think it's fair to say I'm discourteous because I never mentioned a plot twist in a dumb tv show. until hit mandatory retirement.

I'm sorry I think is reasonable to set a time/exposure limit. before a spoiler becomes stale.


and you totally missed the point DIRECTED AT YOU about labeling your spoiler tags so that people know if it's wise to open them or not. Spoiler tags get used for more than spoilers.

... What about you ruining it for the people who haven't watched TTGL yet? Don't act like a hypocrite please.


Or does it only matter if YOU haven't watched it yet?




how am i being a hypocrite? i used a spoiler tag because there is a spoiler in there that's what the tag is for. there is no reason to go around posting spoilers out in the open when this site specifically has something set up so it doesnt happen
75442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/5/14 , edited 2/5/14

EspeoangeTieler wrote:





how am i being a hypocrite? i used a spoiler tag because there is a spoiler in there that's what the tag is for. there is no reason to go around posting spoilers out in the open when this site specifically has something set up so it doesnt happen


It's like talking to a brick.

Anyone else care to try? I'm done.

I suggest sir that you reread the posts that followed yours. I understand reading comprehension is hard for you but...


75910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/5/14 , edited 2/5/14

EspeoangeTieler wrote:

how am i being a hypocrite? i used a spoiler tag because there is a spoiler in there that's what the tag is for. there is no reason to go around posting spoilers out in the open when this site specifically has something set up so it doesnt happen

But without knowing what your spoiler might spoil nobody could ever open it ever.

And personally I figured you were just spoiler tagging your whole post in a thread about spoilers to be a smart ass.

Just preface it with like "Spoiler for TTGL" or something.
9791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 2/5/14

Insomnist wrote:


EspeoangeTieler wrote:

how am i being a hypocrite? i used a spoiler tag because there is a spoiler in there that's what the tag is for. there is no reason to go around posting spoilers out in the open when this site specifically has something set up so it doesnt happen

But without knowing what your spoiler might spoil nobody could ever open it ever.

And personally I figured you were just spoiler tagging your whole post to be a smart ass.

Just preface it with like "Spoiler for TTGL" or something.


youre right i was doing it to be a smart ass
Posted 2/5/14 , edited 2/5/14
My thing is "better safe than sorry"

Spoilers are almost the bane of my existence. Its difficult to describe how much I hate them. I know some others don't mind, but I also know there are others like me who absolutely hate them. So the whole "do unto others" thing compels me to put something in spoilers if I might be upset that such a thing was spoiled. Even in video comments.

If I put a few things in spoilers that aren't that big of a deal, then who cares... It just means someone had to make one extra click to read it. If the alternative is possibly getting spoiled, then its not a risk i'm willing to take just for a very slight increase in convenience.

But who knows, maybe i'm the only one who hates spoilers so very much
75910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/5/14 , edited 2/5/14
You know what else is weird? "Major spoilers" that aren't true. As in, they're completely fabricated, but believable. So the whole time you're watching a show you're making assumptions based on knowing a spoiler that actually doesn't exist.

That can really screw you over too.


EspeoangeTieler wrote:

youre right i was doing it to be a smart ass

On behalf of the United Nations I accept your apology.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.