First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply Why do people hate Sakura?
27100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/10/14 , edited 2/10/14

galdris wrote:

Why do people hate her? I can think of one big reason.

She has no backstory at all! Her whole life revolves around Sasuke and Naruto. Kiba's dog Akamaru has more backstory and she is the main heroine! Yet all we know is that she is strong and she can heal she also has this unstoppable need to get Sasuke back because of that one time he showed emotion for her.


Cause every character needs a depressing backstory? Truthfully, Sakura is a more relatable character than almost anyone else. She is normal in a sense, and that is fine with me. She grew as her own character later on. Oh, and really, she wasn't that obsessed about getting Sasuke back. At least not compared to Naruto, where it is border-line psychotic. The longer Shippuden went on, the less she seemed to be interested in bringing Sasuke back.


xxJing
Laugh it up buddy. Laugh it up. I'll send you a bottle of my tears for your collection.


lol. Really? I do appreciate that. My collection IS shrinking lately... XD

But, all joking aside, you will see when it happens. It will be all okay.
bhl88 
75203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/10/14
But they did. In the latest chapter. She's saying that he must live :p
55581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/10/14 , edited 2/10/14
No, no she's been a bitch to Naruto through almost this entire series. Even in the last Naruto movie that came out (which the author wrote) she was a huge bitch to Naruto. Even during that fake confession she was kind of bitchy. That's personally why I never liked her.
103947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 2/10/14
How come the hate is not directed towards Sasuke?

I have not been irritated in the slightest with Sakura as a character as she is a... (supporting) main character, rather than the "main" characters who is annoying.
xxJing 
37169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Online
Posted 2/10/14 , edited 2/10/14

Orga777 wrote:


xxJing
Laugh it up buddy. Laugh it up. I'll send you a bottle of my tears for your collection.


lol. Really? I do appreciate that. My collection IS shrinking lately... XD

But, all joking aside, you will see when it happens. It will be all okay.


I went ahead and read it lol. That was actually pretty cool of her. Damnit Kishimoto! You can't do that. You can't make her be useless for like the entire series then just out of no where try to redeem her character. I want to hate her. Don't you understand!? YOU BUILT UP THIS HATRED! and now I need an outlet for it, otherwise it is just going to explode inside me.
1651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Mor Dhona
Offline
Posted 2/10/14
I don't hate Sakura, but I don't really like her.

Personally, my beef is that she's not written well and doesn't get to do much.

Pre-timeskip, she only did a few things. She showed up Naruto and Sasuke by being better at chakra control and actually got a few fights in during the Chuunin exams, but other than that she was just an obsessive Sasuke fangirl. She gets over this for the most part post-timeskip.

Post-timeskip, despite training under Tsunade and getting medical skills and physical combat abilities approximately on par with her teachers, she's in only a small handful of fights. She does useful / important stuff on-screen in the Gaara and Sai arcs, then promptly disappears into the background save as a motivating force for Naruto (except that time she almost got herself killed by Sasuke) until the War arc. Then she spends umpteen chapters / episodes doing important and valuable stuff, but mostly offscreen.



Basically, she doesn't really do much of importance, but she's supposed to be a main character. It's kind of contradictory, not to mention the fact that without her Sasuke obsession she has almost no personality.

Then there's the shippers, and well, I'd rather not get into that because it's not a concern of mine.
27100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/10/14 , edited 2/10/14

Genbu89 wrote:

I don't hate Sakura, but I don't really like her.

Personally, my beef is that she's not written well and doesn't get to do much.

Pre-timeskip, she only did a few things. She showed up Naruto and Sasuke by being better at chakra control and actually got a few fights in during the Chuunin exams, but other than that she was just an obsessive Sasuke fangirl. She gets over this for the most part post-timeskip.

Post-timeskip, despite training under Tsunade and getting medical skills and physical combat abilities approximately on par with her teachers, she's in only a small handful of fights. She does useful / important stuff on-screen in the Gaara and Sai arcs, then promptly disappears into the background save as a motivating force for Naruto (except that time she almost got herself killed by Sasuke) until the War arc. Then she spends umpteen chapters / episodes doing important and valuable stuff, but mostly offscreen.



Basically, she doesn't really do much of importance, but she's supposed to be a main character. It's kind of contradictory, not to mention the fact that without her Sasuke obsession she has almost no personality.

Then there's the shippers, and well, I'd rather not get into that because it's not a concern of mine.


This is the main problem with the series as a whole, and Sakura is not the only character to suffer this horrid writing failure, either. Kishimoto is just AWFUL at writing characters. ESPECIALLY female characters. It is also obvious from his writing style the last six+ years that he heavily favors the Uchiha over pretty much anything else he created, Naruto included. It got so bad for a while that it was hard to even recognize the series, and the title should have been changed to Sasuke, or Uchiha, or Sharingan Shenanigans.

Personally, I think Sakura is better without the Sasuke obsession. Her true, more fun personality comes out. So does her drive and her own conviction. Every time Sasuke is on screen with her, her character suffers so much (actually, every time ANY character is on screen with Sasuke their character tends to suffer almost irreversible harm.) This was exceedingly bad during the Pre-Skip. Him leaving was the best thing that could have happened to her character, personally (and in turn the worst thing that could happen to Naruto's character...) She became one of my favorite characters, despite how badly Kishimoto handled her character. I see the dropped potential. I see what she does and I understand her convictions. There is nothing bad there. Kishimoto tried to go back on her character development so harshly that it gives me whiplash. However, her character was not damaged enough for me to dislike her. Maybe it is me being difficult on that field, or maybe it is because I have been defending Sakura's character for so long that it just became second nature at this point, but I will never not like her. If only because everyone else has suffered just as much shitty writing as she has. I still think Kishimoto may have just taken ALL the cocaine in Japan (and I mean ALL of it...) some time after the Pain Arc and said "fuck it!" and just stopped giving a damn. :/

mdz09 
26209 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / tempe az
Offline
Posted 2/11/14
shes uber lame and bitches all the time. plus those early episodes where a total tool towards naruto. forever hated the slag after that.
22406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 2/11/14 , edited 2/11/14

Deadstarwebseries wrote:




There....are a lot of factors to consider here.

For the majority of American/Japanese fans alike, watching episode by episode changes how we feel about Anime. I was around 7th Grade back when Naruto started airing, and I had one hell of a prejudice against it during it's opening episode. I remember making fun of them using the phrase "Mortal Kombat" in the opening shot for the English Dub.

To get on point, Naruto as a show has some faults. The major faults are personified in characters like Sakura. While other characters might be bad, she's a major character. We see her. Her initial character was designated "Girl he has a crush on, but likes the hot guy and dislikes you" Naruto was openly admitting he liker her from episode 1, and that was just fine. But who likes a Girl who just shoots down our hero? Sakura doesn't simply say no, she consistently insults him. This is her introduction. Characters who mock and insult our heroes tend to be villains, because we fucking hate those bitches.

Now, she did get some good character development during that Chunin Exam. It was rather cool character development too, had the whole bad-ass haircut thing, she tried her damn best to do something awesome. It really worked with me. Her entire gimmick of being the hot chick gone, she became the "I want to catch up to them" girl.

And, a few episodes later STILL in the same Arc, she goes through the entire process again. We see her fight another girl in the most cliche and absurdly unprofessional fight of the arc, and hear the same cliche lines of dialogue. She also won that fight with her bitchy personality, which...isn't as funny when you say it aloud.

In the same arc she had a cliche fight, we get several of the most memorable fights in Naruto. Specifically Rock Lee vs Gaara and Hinata vs Neji. Can you compare Sakura's character development fights to either of these? Both of these fights set up future antagonists, AND involved someone Audiences REALLY REALLY REALLY LIKED being beat the fuck up. As a central character, she's shafted here. She's become a secondary character at this point.

The next few arc's put her on the back-burner, which is never something a central character should be used for. He next major accomplishment involved unrequited romance, followed by womanly swooning, followed by letting a man take charge of the situation.

Now, I'm not saying female characters used as romantic leads and being "women in waiting" are a horrible horrible thing. Fist of the North Star's Female lead Yuria spends her entire life AND ENTIRE ANIME waiting for Kenshiro. But Sakura's character development focused on not being left behind.....and that happened again and again.

The opening of Naruto showed the audience how much Naruto was the victim, make us care for his struggles. It painted Sakura as one of those bullies, and it left a sour taste in our mouths. She's a poorly written character, and was given a role someone more disposable, like Ino, should have occupied on her own. Ergo, later down the line no matter how badass she acts, we remember her as the whiny bitch who treated our hero like garbage.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 2/11/14
The author has stated that he doesn't know how to write "heroines", so to speak, all that well.
Posted 2/11/14
Because she's about as useful as a secondhand pocket pussy.
27486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 2/11/14 , edited 2/11/14
Because she will be with Naruto instead of Hinata and is also one of the most useful shinobi in all of Konoha.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 2/11/14

saksiss wrote:

Because she will be with Naruto instead of Hinata.


Nah, it's totally going the Naruto and Sasuke route.
27486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 2/11/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:


saksiss wrote:

Because she will be with Naruto instead of Hinata.


Nah, it's totally going the Naruto and Sasuke route.


I actually wouldn't mind that if it were to be like this.

9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 2/11/14
probably becasue ppl hate how useless she used to be and fail to see that she could break a mountain to pieces now with a single punch
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.