First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Can Americans create anime?
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 2/13/14

dragontackle wrote:

Americans can make anime. The Boondocks or the last airbender/legend of korra are pretty good examples.


These are terrible examples. Boondocks, airbender, and korra had all of the animation outsourced to South Korea and Japan while storyboards and script were done domestically.
6102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/13/14
I say maybe

It all depends on where the target audience is (america or japan), and which side of the hemisphere it's remembered more after it's long ended (though that can be debated)


And on I side note, am I the only who thinks crunchyroll should make a conner where people can post their animations, ranging from 4 to 5 minuet shorts to entire web series
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 2/13/14

HauAreWe wrote:


EspeoangeTieler wrote:

anime isnt actully just animation done in japan its the word japanese use to describe all forms of animation.


And cafe is literally the French word for coffee. So, you better not use it to describe a small restaurant. People would get mad
(sarcasm)

Honestly, do you want people to resurrect that Frankenstein of a word known as "Japanimation?"

Websites like MAL, Anime News Network, and Anime Network focus on animation from Japan. If the animation looks like Kill-la-Kill, a Ghibli film, Astro Boy, or Wooser, that obviously doesn't prevent people from calling it "anime" does it?

But then ontop of that, I'd like to see you try telling people on a forum for South Park, the Simpsons, or Phineus and Ferb that they're watching "anime."


On Topic: If you want to make an animation that's inspired by Japanese anime, that's perfectly fine. It worked out great for Air Bender (and very poorly for most everything else.) Personally, I like to consider "limited animation" as the primary form of Japanese anime (think about it like a refined Rocky and Bullwinkle.) As such, something created using a 3D program (not sure which you're using) will be very distinguishable from anime in general.

And so, you wouldn't have to worry about arguing whether or not the characters seem like anime, I wouldn't think.

Isn't it great that you don't have to worry at all about being a "pretender" or "not doing your own thing?" Using anime as springboard of inspiration is great.


if i was taking to someone from japan and said south park was an anime they would say "yes you are right" not "nope wasnt made in japan"
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 2/14/14 , edited 2/14/14

EspeoangeTieler wrote:

if i was taking to someone from japan and said south park was an anime they would say "yes you are right" not "nope wasnt made in japan"


Alright. Then all animation should be called "anime" if you're speaking English and talking to a non-Japanese person?

And by association, all comic books should be called "manga."

Very sound logic
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 2/14/14

HauAreWe wrote:


EspeoangeTieler wrote:

if i was taking to someone from japan and said south park was an anime they would say "yes you are right" not "nope wasnt made in japan"


Alright. Then all animation should be called "anime" if you're speaking English and talking to a non-Japanese person?

And by association, all comic books should be called "manga."

Very sound logic


whats even more logical is the fact that if any anime that already exist and is considered anime was made in america instead of japan and was exactly the same as it is now it wouldnt be considered anime
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 2/14/14 , edited 2/14/14

EspeoangeTieler wrote:

whats even more logical is the fact that if any anime that already exist and is considered anime was made in america instead of japan and was exactly the same as it is now it wouldnt be considered anime


Such as?
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 2/14/14

HauAreWe wrote:


EspeoangeTieler wrote:

whats even more logical is the fact that if any anime that already exist and is considered anime was made in america instead of japan and was exactly the same as it is now it wouldnt be considered anime


Such as?


what do you mean such as? im talking about ANY anime its stupid to think that if an anime that currently exists was actully made in america and was exactly as it is now it wouldnt be anime all of a sudden.........
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 2/14/14 , edited 2/14/14

EspeoangeTieler wrote:

what do you mean such as? im talking about ANY anime its stupid to think that if an anime that currently exists was actully made in america and was exactly as it is now it wouldnt be anime all of a sudden.........


Because anime by definition is

"anime (ˈænɪˌmeɪ)
n
1. (Film) a type of Japanese animated film with themes and styles similar to manga comics"

so.. because something is made in the US with characters that have pointy chins, it could be called a "type of Japanese animated film?"

I get that in Japan the word "anime" is used universally. But we don't use "manga" to describe all graphic novels or "manhwa" to describe comic books with Korean influence
29383 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / lala land!
Offline
Posted 2/14/14
gah.. So.. any one else see a major poo flinging fight in the works over this? yeah.. too much guys..
lets agree to disagree and it's Valentines! make love not war!
I'm of the 'I don't care as long as it's good' category. :P
speaking of Valentines day.. I'm heading out to grab Sushi for the family..
wait.. is sushi really sushi if its made by an American?!
what if it's a Japanese American?
but is sushi eaten by a Euro Native American REALLY sushi even if it looks and tastes the same?
OMG my world is destroyed.. I hate you all. *cries*
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 2/14/14

AzuresShade wrote:

gah.. So.. any one else see a major poo flinging fight in the works over this? yeah.. too much guys..
lets agree to disagree and it's Valentines! make love not war!
I'm of the 'I don't care as long as it's good' category. :P
speaking of Valentines day.. I'm heading out to grab Sushi for the family..
wait.. is sushi really sushi if its made by an American?!
what if it's a Japanese American?
but is sushi eaten by a Euro Native American REALLY sushi even if it looks and tastes the same?
OMG my world is destroyed.. I hate you all. *cries*


obviously since its not made in japan its just fish
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 2/14/14

EspeoangeTieler wrote:

obviously since its not made in japan its just fish


And obviously a Shogun is just a military general and a Samurai is just a knight.
259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / From Here on to T...
Offline
Posted 2/14/14
Yes. There IS American 'anime' but the plots aren't as deep. We CAN make anime, after all, manga was inspired by Donald Duck comic books. (Correct this if I'm wrong thanks)
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 2/14/14

HauAreWe wrote:


EspeoangeTieler wrote:

obviously since its not made in japan its just fish


And obviously a Shogun is just a military general and a Samurai is just a knight.


now youre getting it
xxJing 
37163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Online
Posted 2/14/14
I took this topic to mean, can an American create something animated that is as high of quality (story and character design-wise) as Japanese animation tends to be?

I answered, it is possible yes. However, what usually is the problem is that Americans tend to think of animation as a cartoon (something comedic to entertain children). Even when some American produces animation in a Japanese art style, it tends to retain a lot of these quirky or silly qualities that are usually found in more traditional American animations. In other words, American animators tend to not take animation seriously, because they know that their largest audience will be children. This is true, most Americans do not watch cartoons.

If you want some good examples of great American animations that had at best cult followings, consider Spawn, Gargoyles, Boondocks, (90's)Batman.
I'd be willing to bet that at this moment the vast majority of people who enjoy(ed) those are males between the ages of 22 and 35.

If you want to make a serious action/adventure Anime, pretend you are making a live action film. Don't think of it as animation.
If you want to make a comedy Anime, easily done, comedy is universal, just focus on getting character designs to look right.
If you want to make a romance anime, good luck, I have no advice for you on this.

Finally, if some kind of pun, gag, or any other quirky idea comes to mind. Consider whether it would ACTUALLY work in the mood and context of the scene, this is the one thing I have noticed that I hate the most about American animes, (looking at you Air Bender and RBWY) they force these friggin corny gags and puns in places that they definitely will not work and it totally ruins the mood of the scene. This also applies to more recent Pixar and Disney movies (earlier Disney did not have this problem), they seriously just keep fishing for laughs with these random puns and gags.
37906 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/14/14 , edited 2/14/14
In Japan, all animated things are called anime because it's the short form of animation in Japanese. However, are we going to start calling Family Guy anime? I would hope not. Back in the day, there was this word that left little ambiguity, and it was Japanimation. Anime has become a word to replace Japanimation. Therefore, I would have to say, for an anime to be called anime, it has to meet the requirements to be called Japanimation. Which are: Be originally Japanese, and be animation.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.