First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Pirating Entertainment
2064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 2/14/14 , edited 2/14/14
Do you Pirate any form of entertainment be it movies, games, music?

I have recorded songs on cassette tapes and et cetera, yes I have!

Do you think it's wrong to pirate entertainment?

It's a very grey issue thing to me. I've actually purchased several anime DVDs and sountracks that I've previously experienced through "methods", and apparently, I'm in the majority of piraters.

Do you think your government should invest more time into stopping this?

Yes! And, I think they should donate gobs of cash to places like Crunchyroll, and that they should also tell the music industry that they are not helping and to go away. Seriously, they did something as useless as shutting down Megaupload and congratulated themselves for it.

I doubt they preserved the files in Megaupload's databases either...
37906 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/14/14
I've downloaded some apps and watched some stuff from there. I've also downloaded this manga app. I thought, "If they have an app for it, it shouldn't be illegal." I...feel I was wrong. I also got this R4 card and downloaded some games, but then I found out it was illegal to keep it over 24 hours unless your copy was broken, so I stopped.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/14/14
Arrrrgh!
20834 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Space/Time
Offline
Posted 2/14/14 , edited 2/14/14
Yes if I am unable to get a hold of it by legal means.
38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 2/15/14
As mentioned earlier, it is no different than stealing any other piece of property owned by a person or group of people. So I wonder how you pirates would feel if someone stole something from you; or if your employer refused to pay you, because that is basically what you are doing to the people you are stealing from.
34282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 2/15/14

potemkinhr wrote:
On the other hand, we have something few other states in the world have - decriminalized media piracy. Yep, you heard that right, downloading media (music, video) for personal use is not penalized by law because the ZAMP agency (our equivalent of the US's RIAA/MPAA) added a tax on optical mediums (CD/DVD), flash drives (USB thumb drives, memory cards) and hard drives, which is included in the final price of the product sold for possible piracy use.


That seems like an interesting solution, but does this money ever actually reach the victims of the piracy or does it just line the government's or agency's pockets? I mean, how do they know who suffered how much loss to piracy so they can distribute the money properly? Also, what about e.g. piracy of foreign media, which I'm assuming is more common than piracy of domestic media? Do they get anything from this?
34282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 2/15/14

lordseth23 wrote:

As mentioned earlier, it is no different than stealing any other piece of property owned by a person or group of people. So I wonder how you pirates would feel if someone stole something from you; or if your employer refused to pay you, because that is basically what you are doing to the people you are stealing from.


It reminds me of a story I read years ago of this guy whose computer was hacked. The guy apparently knew his stuff and tracked the perpetrators down. Then he broke in and stole their computers, leaving a message along the lines of, "How do you like it?"
21128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/15/14
But lots of times, it's not being sold to you in the first place. Like the anime that aren't lisenced, and can't be found anywere on the legal sites. Then what? They still aren't making money.
14124 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Ottawa
Offline
Posted 2/15/14
As you can tell, I'm subbed to CR so I can watched licensed shows to ensure those that invested in and created the entertainment I consume get compensated. CR's a great service and it makes me feel good to do the right thing.

THAT SAID, some shows leave me no choice because they refuse to license to anyone who will broadcast/stream in Canada* (e.g. Coppelion anime, which I loved because my taste in anime is objectively superior to the unwashed masses who in their plebeian ignorance claimed to hate that show and/or Aoi). So I'll download their stuff and seed it so others in similar situations - those being denied that content because they too live on the wrong side of an imaginary line on a map - can enjoy it with the rest of the world.

BD/DVD imports are prohibitively expensive, but I'm cool with buying other licensed merch from shows I love (unfortunately the aforementioned Coppelion anime will never have merch because the show tanked hard). The two upcoming Gen'ei nendos in particular are absolute must buys.

* Hulu in particular can eat male genitals
11413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 2/15/14 , edited 2/15/14

lordseth23 wrote:

As mentioned earlier, it is no different than stealing any other piece of property owned by a person or group of people. So I wonder how you pirates would feel if someone stole something from you; or if your employer refused to pay you, because that is basically what you are doing to the people you are stealing from.


It's not exactly the same as stealing. When you pirate something, you download a copy, when you steal something from someone such as a piece of physical property, it's their job to spend the same amount of money again to replace it. Essentially, in one the developers suffer, in the other the developers and the person who's stolen from suffers. Your view is one I see a lot of people have but it's not always stealing. If I buy a digital game, and the host website goes down I can't use that game anymore despite having paid for it. Is it then wrong to go and download a crack to continue playing something which I spent money on and legally purchased? Because in that scenario it's technically more like them stealing from you 'you can have your item, but if/when we go down your money is still ours, and you don't keep the game anymore'.
Sogno- 
45631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/15/14

spectralMagician wrote:

Is OP a cop?


the OP's trying to dig up dirt on you guys watch what you say
38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 2/15/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


lordseth23 wrote:

As mentioned earlier, it is no different than stealing any other piece of property owned by a person or group of people. So I wonder how you pirates would feel if someone stole something from you; or if your employer refused to pay you, because that is basically what you are doing to the people you are stealing from.


It's not exactly the same as stealing. When you pirate something, you download a copy, when you steal something from someone such as a piece of physical property, it's their job to spend the same amount of money again to replace it. Essentially, in one the developers suffer, in the other the developers and the person who's stolen from suffers. Your view is one I see a lot of people have but it's not always stealing. If I buy a digital game, and the host website goes down I can't use that game anymore despite having paid for it. Is it then wrong to go and download a crack to continue playing something which I spent money on and legally purchased? Because in that scenario it's technically more like them stealing from you 'you can have your item, but if/when we go down your money is still ours, and you don't keep the game anymore'.


Yes, and that copy is a good that is the sole property of the people that produced it, making it no different than any other good that is up for sale. Whether the good is tangible or intangible makes no difference in the fact that it has been taken from a group of people without their consent, which is stealing.

If the download you are talking about is just offered for free by some random person, there isn't any problem with what you are doing because you legally purchased the game from a distributor. That is completely different from actually downloading a game without providing any compensation that is desired for it.
17179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 2/15/14
The angel above me, goddam it. Makes me want to strangle him with his halo
11413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 2/15/14

lordseth23 wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


lordseth23 wrote:

As mentioned earlier, it is no different than stealing any other piece of property owned by a person or group of people. So I wonder how you pirates would feel if someone stole something from you; or if your employer refused to pay you, because that is basically what you are doing to the people you are stealing from.


It's not exactly the same as stealing. When you pirate something, you download a copy, when you steal something from someone such as a piece of physical property, it's their job to spend the same amount of money again to replace it. Essentially, in one the developers suffer, in the other the developers and the person who's stolen from suffers. Your view is one I see a lot of people have but it's not always stealing. If I buy a digital game, and the host website goes down I can't use that game anymore despite having paid for it. Is it then wrong to go and download a crack to continue playing something which I spent money on and legally purchased? Because in that scenario it's technically more like them stealing from you 'you can have your item, but if/when we go down your money is still ours, and you don't keep the game anymore'.


Yes, and that copy is a good that is the sole property of the people that produced it, making it no different than any other good that is up for sale. Whether the good is tangible or intangible makes no difference in the fact that it has been taken from a group of people without their consent, which is stealing.

If the download you are talking about is just offered for free by some random person, there isn't any problem with what you are doing because you legally purchased the game from a distributor. That is completely different from actually downloading a game without providing any compensation that is desired for it.


Well I still disagree. While both are arguably bad, someone paying for the item twice is different from piracy because in piracy no-one has to buy the item again to replace that which was lost. It may still be stealing but the two are still different, if only slightly. I'll give you the point in the second paragraph, though. Then again I've played my part in piracy before so feel free to discard everything I'm saying as wrong.
1395 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / t h e v o i d
Offline
Posted 2/15/14 , edited 2/15/14
Do you Pirate any form of entertainment be it movies, games, music?

I'm guilty. I had downloaded anime movies to my mobile device that I wanted to watch, but then I deleted them after watching. I do download music, but then I also deleted those. The prices they make you pay...

Do you think it's wrong to pirate entertainment?

It can be right or wrong, depends on who you're asking. If you were asking someone like me- who can't just go and buy all the music I want because of hard times, I don't think it's wrong. These companies are asking for a lot of money, and they don't want to lower prices for anyone. Seriously, if one were to look on a phone or iPod, you'd probably see that free Mp3 app on there. The price for a single song on iTunes is more expensive than a full size candy bar.

Do you think your government should invest more time into stopping this?

No, that just causes more restrictions and higher taxes on our part. If they actually did their job, maybe we wouldn't be in such a horrible state right now, and people could enjoy their lives more. Thanks to how they run this country, most people have to worry about if we can even keep our jobs, or even find one the next day.

But then that's just my opinion.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.