First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Tanning to cosplay black characters is blackface?
Posted 2/14/14

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

The other thing to remember is that if you don't live in the skin of someone who has been discriminated against. you are in a difficult position to pass judgement one when someone else is being treated in a racist fashion.

Some people use the concept of White Privilege (or any other factor, tall, thin, male, cis-gendered) to defend their own equally racist positions. But that doesn't change the fact that the circle of priviledge exists and that if you live within it you have no idea what abuse the other person has taken before your 'innocent action' plants the final straw on the camel's back.




Okay sempai~
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/14/14
Or TL;DR

Be gentler than you have to be, because everyone is fighting some kind of battle.
45489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 2/14/14
Solution to racism - hate everybody equally. If all are equally hated, then there is no inequality to be called racist.

Ultimately, I don't care. I don't care about racism because it doesn't enter my mind when I evaluate a person. Ultimately, if I dislike you, it is not because of your skin color. It is because of who you are.

And you're a horrible person.
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 2/14/14

WeevilsWobble wrote:

was waiting for White Chicks to be pulled out of someones ass.



Posted 2/14/14 , edited 2/14/14
Blackface is offensive because its very existence is birthed out of racism, stereotypes, and poor taste. Cosplay on the other hand is an entirely aesthetic enterprise. Its a form of mimesis - not base caricature. If a cosplayer is portraying a darker character with the intention of mocking them or the fictional (or perhaps real) ethnicity they represent, then yes, one could consider it blackface. But how often are people doing such a thing? I don't cosplay myself, but that seems to fly in the face of what it represents. I'd imagine one cosplays a character because they admire them and desire to emulate them mimetically, not because they want to mock them.

Its good that people don't want to offend - I don't want to trample on that sentiment. But sometimes being overly sensitive to these types of things can come across as somewhat suspicious in its own right. Its an interesting balance we all walk these days to maintain a posture of political correctness. This sort of problem stems from the fact that we can't look into someone's heart and see their true intentions if all we have is a picture or a video which represents their actions.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/14/14
I've seen Cosplayers tinted blue/orange.Is this a racially charged dehumanizing reference to the ancient Celtics that suffered under Roman oppression?
29383 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / lala land!
Offline
Posted 2/14/14

FlyinDumpling wrote:

Some say tanning to cosplay characters of darker skin color is dehumanizing because it's considered black face...and by tanning to fit a cosplay character, people are treating skin color of the oppressed as a costume that can be put on or off. What do you think?

there is also "yellow face" where people use makeup to look or dress like an asian person


I think someone was seriously stretching to consider tanning to be racist.

If a person goes to such lengths to portray an anime character, it's because they love that character.

this reminds me of something that happened to my daughter when she was 4.
she was at daycare and she was so confused and bewildered because her best friend was told by other girls she couldn't be a princess because she was black. (and just so everyone understands, the girls in question were White, Asian, and Native American)

Angel: "momma.. why can't she be a princess?"
me: "she is already a princess baby, those girls just don't understand that"
Angel: "oh. I think she's a princess too. can I give her my princess hat tomorrow?"
me: "of course, if that's what you want to do"
Angel nods.

Angel and her friend ignored the other girls the next day and played Disney princesses together. Eventually the other girls, joined in and no one made those kind of comments again.

end of issue.

so.. my point.. everyone has the right to be a Disney princess if they want to be. Or in this case, any anime character they want to be. Anyone who says differently should be ignored until they get over themselves.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/14/14

AzuresShade wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

Some say tanning to cosplay characters of darker skin color is dehumanizing because it's considered black face...and by tanning to fit a cosplay character, people are treating skin color of the oppressed as a costume that can be put on or off. What do you think?

there is also "yellow face" where people use makeup to look or dress like an asian person


I think someone was seriously stretching to consider tanning to be racist.

If a person goes to such lengths to portray an anime character, it's because they love that character.

this reminds me of something that happened to my daughter when she was 4.
she was at daycare and she was so confused and bewildered because her best friend was told by other girls she couldn't be a princess because she was black. (and just so everyone understands, the girls in question were White, Asian, and Native American)

Angel: "momma.. why can't she be a princess?"
me: "she is already a princess baby, those girls just don't understand that"
Angel: "oh. I think she's a princess too. can I give her my princess hat tomorrow?"
me: "of course, if that's what you want to do"
Angel nods.

Angel and her friend ignored the other girls the next day and played Disney princesses together. Eventually the other girls, joined in and no one made those kind of comments again.

end of issue.

so.. my point.. everyone has the right to be a Disney princess if they want to be. Or in this case, any anime character they want to be. Anyone who says differently should be ignored until they get over themselves.


I like you!


29383 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / lala land!
Offline
Posted 2/14/14 , edited 2/14/14


Thank you!
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/14/14 , edited 2/14/14

seekerperson7 wrote:


I think however Black Face is a red herring or straw man or whatever.

Deflecting the arguement onto what blackface is, and whether or not it's racist is a cheap and easy away of avoiding the true question. There are few who can argue that specific exaggerated makeup style referred to as blackface is anything other than a mockery or that it comes from anywhere other than a place of racism.

The REAL question however:

IS tanning an example of black face?

If you are actually trying to honour someone whose skin colour is different from your own. Loyally applying dyes or make up (or tanning) doesn't seem to be a stretch. Removing the baggage associated with blackface. How is it any different than dying your hair Cyan to look like Rei Ayanami, or growing (or pasting on if you don't have the hormones for facial hair) a chinstrap beard to look like Gendo Ikari?

What's the other option? Go as a pale skinned version of the character? (I bet you MONEY someone is going to say "you're too white for that costume")

Not go at all?... You can't be the anime character you want because you were born with the wrong skin? wow that sounds a lot like the story told to us just a post or so above.

anyhow that's my opinion

Your Mileage May Vary.



31009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Tórshavn
Offline
Posted 2/14/14

AnimeTenchou wrote:

That's BS. Cosplay is cosplay. Cosplay is not racism.


This... Cosplay is all about trying to be something you're not -.- If you wanna look tanned using that costume, so be it -.-
Posted 2/14/14

AzuresShade wrote:



Thank you!


Omg stop lying, don't take my sempai from me.

42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/14/14 , edited 2/14/14
If anyone has ever watched an episode from The Dave Chapelle Show you'll remember a few episodes where posed as a Caucasian anchorman. Shouldn't that apply as well?

Posted 2/14/14

qualeshia3 wrote:

If anyone has ever watched an episode from The Dave Chapelle Show you'll remember a few episodes where posed as a Caucasian anchorman.



Oh yeah. Which reminds me of Chamillionaire when he did that Evening News song.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/14/14



I know! So, shouldn't that matter even if a little?

Back on to the topic, I remember seeing a Ukrainian cosplayer cosplaying Afro from Afro Samurai. I thought the person did a pretty good job though but s/he wasn't black face. Just my opinion.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.