First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Tanning to cosplay black characters is blackface?
354 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 2/14/14
Its okay if you I ask me, as long as your doing it for Cosplay and not racism.
29387 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / lala land!
Offline
Posted 2/14/14

Sornette wrote:


AzuresShade wrote:



Thank you!


Omg stop lying, don't take my sempai from me.



what? can't share even a little? *cries*
Posted 2/14/14

qualeshia3 wrote:




I know! So, shouldn't that matter even if a little?

Back on to the topic, I remember seeing a Ukrainian cosplayer cosplaying Afro from Afro Samurai. I thought the person did a pretty good job though but s/he wasn't black face. Just my opinion.


Lol yeah, it's a full circle of shit if you try to find something wrong with anything. You can't outrun prejudice, you are unwittingly commiting one by even turning your nose up to a stereotype.
42439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/14/14


True. Though the cosplayer was tanned but not black-face. Racism/prejudice work both way and it's not one-sided because it never really was.
13735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Inglewood,CA
Offline
Posted 2/14/14
@aeb0717 LoL
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 2/14/14

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

Some people use the concept of White Privilege (or any other factor, tall, thin, male, cis-gendered) to defend their own equally racist positions. But that doesn't change the fact that the circle of priviledge exists and that if you live within it you have no idea what abuse the other person has taken before your 'innocent action' plants the final straw on the camel's back.
We both have been on tumblr way too much, I'm starting to feel like I'm being brainwashed
Posted 2/14/14 , edited 2/14/14

qualeshia3 wrote:



True. Though the cosplayer was tanned but not black-face. Racism/prejudice work both way and it's not one-sided because it never really was.


Missing the point here, it's only he intention of that person cosplaying that makes the difference. Could say that the intention of someone finding a cosplayer who has tanned their skin a problem being exclusive to that someone even if they think that others agree with them. When you have a lot of people actually agreeing to something then something went wrong somewhere and you don't have to follow their way of thinking but keep it to yourself really lol. Like my ex (if I can't have her i don't want lol) -sempai put it, you don't know what someone has been through so don't regard/disregard their feelings.
Posted 2/14/14

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

I think however Black Face is a red herring or straw man or whatever.

Deflecting the arguement onto what blackface is, and whether or not it's racist is a cheap and easy away of avoiding the true question. There are few who can argue that specific exaggerated makeup style referred to as blackface is anything other than a mockery or that it comes from anywhere other than a place of racism.

The REAL question however:

IS tanning an example of black face?

If you are actually trying to honour someone whose skin colour is different from your own. Loyally applying dyes or make up (or tanning) doesn't seem to be a stretch. Removing the baggage associated with blackface. How is it any different than dying your hair Cyan to look like Rei Ayanami, or growing (or pasting on if you don't have the hormones for facial hair) a chinstrap beard to look like Gendo Ikari?

What's the other option? Go as a pale skinned version of the character? (I bet you MONEY someone is going to say "you're too white for that costume")

Not go at all?... You can't be the anime character you want because you were born with the wrong skin? wow that sounds a lot like the story told to us just a post or so above.

anyhow that's my opinion

Your Mileage May Vary.


I don't quite understand where it is you disagree with me, or perhaps i'm just misinterpreting your position.I did indeed acknowledge that it seems fine for one to alter their skin color for the purpose of respectful imitation. I didn't say tanning specifically but that was my implication. Furthermore, I also expressed my belief that blackface and cosplay are fundamentally different in nature, purpose, and attitude - thus implying that tanning in this scenario most certainly isn't an example of blackface. I agree with you on a number of points, so perhaps I didn't make myself as clear as I would have wanted.... Or did you disagree somewhere else?
42439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/14/14


Okay then.
28646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/14/14 , edited 2/14/14
so youre saying sir ben kingsley is racist for playing gandhi. lol
585 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Center-of-US
Offline
Posted 2/14/14
I'd like it if it were simply an issue of what was the person's intention, but unfortunately, mind reading is impossible, and people aren't 100% truthful. Thus, we make assumptions, and negative history makes it hard to assume innocence. Scientific? Of course not. Such is the folly of man.

Um... I don't know what that was about either. Anyway, I'd like to support all cosplayers, including those who would modify skin tone, but history is a factor. Well, not just history - prejudice and all that stuff isn't a thing of the past, so that also makes it hard to view things innocently, even though I'd like to.

In the end, I'm one who'd go "oh my" if my hair was ablaze, so I probably wouldn't make a fuss over someone in blackface. I would likely harbor suspicions, though.
Sogno- 
45726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/14/14

AnimeTenchou wrote:

That's BS. Cosplay is cosplay. Cosplay is not racism.


seriously, why people always gotta get their panties in a bunch
60992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Alaska
Online
Posted 2/14/14 , edited 2/14/14
All I gotta say is NOOBS BE LIKE DIS AND I BE LIKE DAT, stop complaining about every d*** thing you can for f**** sake
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/15/14 , edited 2/15/14

FlyinDumpling wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

We both have been on tumblr way too much, I'm starting to feel like I'm being brainwashed

This is going to make me sound really old and unhip... but... What's tumblr?


seekerperson7 wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

I think however Black Face is a red herring or straw man or whatever.

Deflecting the arguement onto what blackface is, and whether or not it's racist is a cheap and easy away of avoiding the true question. There are few who can argue that specific exaggerated makeup style referred to as blackface is anything other than a mockery or that it comes from anywhere other than a place of racism.

The REAL question however:

IS tanning an example of black face?

If you are actually trying to honour someone whose skin colour is different from your own. Loyally applying dyes or make up (or tanning) doesn't seem to be a stretch. Removing the baggage associated with blackface. How is it any different than dying your hair Cyan to look like Rei Ayanami, or growing (or pasting on if you don't have the hormones for facial hair) a chinstrap beard to look like Gendo Ikari?

What's the other option? Go as a pale skinned version of the character? (I bet you MONEY someone is going to say "you're too white for that costume")

Not go at all?... You can't be the anime character you want because you were born with the wrong skin? wow that sounds a lot like the story told to us just a post or so above.

anyhow that's my opinion

Your Mileage May Vary.



I don't quite understand where it is you disagree with me, or perhaps i'm just misinterpreting your position.I did indeed acknowledge that it seems fine for one to alter their skin color for the purpose of respectful imitation. I didn't say tanning specifically but that was my implication. Furthermore, I also expressed my belief that blackface and cosplay are fundamentally different in nature, purpose, and attitude - thus implying that tanning in this scenario most certainly isn't an example of blackface. I agree with you on a number of points, so perhaps I didn't make myself as clear as I would have wanted.... Or did you disagree somewhere else?


I did not quote you because I disagreed with you. Sorry if I gave you that impression. Qualifying your position with my own. Was my way of weighing on my topic.

The TL;DR version (which I'm affraid might offend some because it limits my ability to express complex thoughts and shades of meaning)

- YES blackface (proper noun) is an expression of racism.
- No altering your skin tone (or hair colour etc.) to honour a respectful cartoon character is not blackface.

of all the issues to get worked up about, I think this one weakens the cause.


Quaternion wrote:

.


Well we can't know what's in people's hearts. And I find the idea of legislation of thought to so repugnant as to defend all kinds of assholes in their right to express themselves as assholes (and then get called on it I hope).

I don't how it works for you. To the extent that labels matter, I'm a mixed race, native Canadian, Transgendered woman. I've seen the circle of privilege with my own eyes, having voluntarily stepped in my high heeled shoes away from one level of it's protection.

I honestly don't care, if people THINK I'm a freak or a 'shemale' or just don't understand the difference between sex and gender. I've argued freedom of expression on other forums where the OP wanted to ban Lolis and was painting them as child porn.

If someone expresses innocent ignorance I will try to gently educate them. If someone expresses hatred or bigotry I will refute them with logic or patience or simply laughter and mockery when they prove that they have neither facts nor logic on their side.

If someone behaves in a way that actively threatens my right to exist, as an equal discrimination free citizen of my country ... You bet sparks will fly.

The person in question. As I understand the presentation, was not getting into everyone's face wearing a vaudeville costume and singing "Mammy!"

The circle of privilege exists, trotting it out as an excuse for reciprocal Racism/Sexism/Heightism just weakens the concept for when it's really needed.

I really don't see, As I understand this case, where the people being accused of racism are A) doing any harm can be proven to have malice in their hearts. Perhaps we need to save our energy for something more ... tangible?


10546 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fuyuki City
Offline
Posted 2/15/14 , edited 2/15/14

JayVeeDees wrote:


AnimeTenchou wrote:

That's BS. Cosplay is cosplay. Cosplay is not racism.


This... Cosplay is all about trying to be something you're not -.- If you wanna look tanned using that costume, so be it -.-


Agreed.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.