First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Anime with annoying teenagers as main cast needs to stop.
13131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/16/14 , edited 2/16/14

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


sundin13 wrote:

try watching Honey and Clover (college age!) or dabbing in Josei shows. They typically have more realistic characterizations and often use non-High School aged protagonists.

EDIT: A few more I can think of that don't use HS aged protagonists:

PlanetES, Baccano!, Stein's;gate, The Big O, GitS, Monster, Ergo Proxy, Arakawa, Hellsing, Wandering Son (if younger counts), Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Rec, Texhnolyze, Paranoia Agent, Polar Bear Cafe (do animals count?)


there are Josei shows? Where? please?




Err, not sure if you are kidding? (Genre classifications from Wiki so don't argue with me)

Honey and Clover, Usagi Drop, Nodame Cantabile, Chihayafuru, Nana
2924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Somewhere
Offline
Posted 2/16/14

klote2314 wrote:

Since everything is about teenagers kicking ass or having love troubles its getting boring...

Why cant we have Adults for once

i cant even remember a good anime where adults are the main cast...

Why are all the anime based up on annoying flat chested teenagers with their stupid problems!!!!


And yes Hatsune Miku is annoying to!

heck i even like grandma's and grandpa's kicking ass just stop it with them stupid teenagers -.-


Well log horizon has college kids in a videogame, if that makes you feel better. There's also Space Brothers which has grown up guys in space.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/16/14

sundin13 wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


sundin13 wrote:

try watching Honey and Clover (college age!) or dabbing in Josei shows. They typically have more realistic characterizations and often use non-High School aged protagonists.

EDIT: A few more I can think of that don't use HS aged protagonists:

PlanetES, Baccano!, Stein's;gate, The Big O, GitS, Monster, Ergo Proxy, Arakawa, Hellsing, Wandering Son (if younger counts), Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Rec, Texhnolyze, Paranoia Agent, Polar Bear Cafe (do animals count?)


there are Josei shows? Where? please?




Err, not sure if you are kidding? (Genre classifications from Wiki so don't argue with me)

Honey and Clover, Usagi Drop, Nodame Cantabile, Chihayafuru, Nana


I'll check up on the ones I haven't seen but so far, but.... I think I'm proof positive that Age+Gender is not a guarantor of actual appeal. Apparently I'm not Josei is there a -basan anime genre? Careful how you pronounce that.


-jisan/-basan
Literally refers to one's uncle or aunt respectively, but also used to refer to middle-aged adults with whom the speaker is already acquainted. Changing it to -jichan or -bachan is like saying Aunty. Not seen as insulting unless the person is sensitive about their age. (A woman under 30 is likely to be insulted, though.) Be careful with how long you draw out the i and a sounds, lest this suffix become...

-jiisan/-baasan
Literally refers to one's grandfather and grandmother, but also used to refer to much older adults with whom the speaker is already acquainted. Changing it to -jiichan or -baachan is like saying Grampy or Granny. Not seen as insulting unless the person is sensitive about their age.




12157 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/16/14 , edited 2/16/14
To rehash what most people in this thread have been saying, companies are obviously going to try to appeal to the most profitable target market possible, which just so happens to be teens in the case of anime.

I wish there were more anime out there in production that focused around adult characters instead of teenagers, but I know that's not going to happen. You just sort of have to dig around, then you can find some stuff out there that will suit your needs. There's generally one or two anime that get released each season that don't have their leads in highschool, but I will admit that I'd prefer to have more of a selection.
Posted 2/16/14

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

Immortality for the most part changes age into a meaningless number. The Queen Vampire from dance in the Vampire Bund is still a loli so really who cares about that number (as long as it's over 18)

Most middle aged people want to be able to see SOMETHING of themselves or people they know in a character to which they wish to relate.

So I would say NO.

Your better off selling me on a teenager, I can remember being one of those.


So, you're saying, that in Bleach: Since Ichigo gained superpowers, and I don't have superpowers, then I can't relate to Ichigo's battle with depression, and his monster within, and to keep moving forward, no matter what it takes, no matter how crippled one are, and no matter how impossible one may think it is, and that I can't relate to how he interacts with the other characters?

...
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/16/14 , edited 2/16/14

dankuuwut wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

Immortality for the most part changes age into a meaningless number. The Queen Vampire from dance in the Vampire Bund is still a loli so really who cares about that number (as long as it's over 18)

Most middle aged people want to be able to see SOMETHING of themselves or people they know in a character to which they wish to relate.

So I would say NO.

Your better off selling me on a teenager, I can remember being one of those.


So, you're saying, that in Bleach: Since Ichigo gained superpowers, and I don't have superpowers, then I can't relate to Ichigo's battle with depression, and his monster within, and to keep moving forward, no matter what it takes, no matter how crippled one are, and no matter how impossible one may think it is, and that I can't relate to how he interacts with the other characters?

...


I don't watch bleach.

but age and experience are something you have to Live through. it's not a matter of just watching the calendar tick by. If you are really self aware and really smart you might be able to imagine yourself in an older person's shoes but you have no reference. An older person looking back at a younger character has a the ready reference of what they and their friends were like at that age. That's all I'm saying.

Edit
I lie. I'm also saying that imortality makes 'age' (typically) an irrevelvant number. Not because I don't have super powers but a forever teen or forever loli, doesn't get wrinkles doesn't worry about her 'biological clock' doesn't contend with the youth worship of our culture etc. and if they don't deal with all that how can they be relatable as to age. (I can think of few ways, but even those are underused in most anime )



Posted 2/16/14

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

I don't watch bleach.

but age and experience are something you have to Live through. it's not a matter of just watching the calendar tick by. If you are really self aware and really smart you might be able to imagine yourself in an older person's shoes but you have no reference. An older person looking back at a younger character has a the ready reference of what they and their friends were like at that age. That's all I'm saying.

Edit
I lie. I'm also saying that imortality makes 'age' (typically) an irrevelvant number. Not because I don't have super powers but a forever teen or forever loli, doesn't get wrinkles doesn't worry about her 'biological clock' doesn't contend with the youth worship of our culture etc. and if they don't deal with all that how can they be relatable as to age. (I can think of few ways, but even those are underused in most anime )

I don't think that I would ever want to watch an anime based on "How my time is running out, and how I need to get laid, quick, so that I can sense some form of purpose in an otherwise meaningless existence, by pouring my delusions into newer generations, and then proceed to moan about my responsibilities, and bitch about how the world is changing." It doesn't matter how much it's twisted and turned, there is no realistic way to solve this cruel predicament that our nature has set for us, other than how I've described it, by breeding a bunch bastards and deluding oneself, but there is a realistic way to opt out, which I'm sorry to say, is suicide. And it's not that it would be a sad anime; it's that it would be a boring anime, based not on "what something could be like" but on "well, my life is crap, and it will not get any better from hereon out". The closest you will get to the latter, is a comedy show, because otherwise nobody would want to watch it, not even you (I bet). "Oh, my hair is falling out, ha-ha." Ha-ha, is the only way to cure it. And if you think I haven't been in those shoes, or am, because I'm "only" 30 years old, then I believe that you might think too highly of how many experiences you've actually accumulated over the course of your years, which for all you know could be but a fraction of my own.

Now, I wouldn't expect you to have watched the same animes that I have, e.g. Bleach, but I can say this: That I've been in a romantic relationship with someone whose age-gap from mine was roughly that of yours and mine. She was a business woman who owned about half a city (I'm a bum), so you could tell that she needed to maintain a certain facade (and kept me under the wraps), but in private she was more like a teenager than any teenager that I have ever met, and she had far more stamina-- and a craving for life than I ever did; she was flirtatious, and optimistic, she was a hipster (particularly when it came to music), and everything was "kawaii" to her. So, it goes without saying, that even though menopause is creeping in, it doesn't mean that you have to be a brood. Yoruichi, for instance, the character that I referred to, is similar to her, in a trope. Of course, there are many aspects of her [Yoruichi] that we do not get to see, because she's not a main character, I'll give you that, but given my experiences, I still fail to see how your point on irrelevance is relevant.
63430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 2/16/14 , edited 2/16/14
I guess asian people are just a bunch of pedo's then if they like that type of people

im 24 my self and rather not want to be remembered from the teenage time its horrid


Bleach was fine btw not to many annoying teenagers being hyper active
Posted 2/16/14 , edited 2/16/14

klote2314 wrote:

I guess asian people are just a bunch of pedo's then if they like that type of people

im 24 my self and rather not want to be remembered from the teenage time its horrid


Bleach was fine btw not to many annoying teenagers being hyper active




you made a thread about annoying teenagers, and then went on to praise bleach? what kind of self-contradiction?

bleach has one of the most annoying main teen characters i've seen
Sogno- 
45684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/16/14
you can always try Gintama it is very popular in Japan~
2599 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / California, USA
Offline
Posted 2/16/14
There are many based on college students who are young adults.......try watching white album 1...
12872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/16/14 , edited 2/16/14
Maybe you should watch some historical animes? Like Samurai 7 or Samurai Champloo? Or animes that aren't always set in high schools? Or watch Yuri animes. Trust me, you won't be complaining much
22656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 2/16/14
The way I see it, it's not just about characters being teenagers or adults. There are adult characters who act like teenagers, and there are teenage characters who act like adults (albeit, usually not at first). I can think of a decent number of anime that feature main characters who, in my opinion, fall into the latter group. I think how old a character is on the inside is more important than how many years that character has been alive.
70040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/16/14 , edited 2/16/14
The anime we get now that have college-age or older casts are either romance, outrageous comedy, or have largely niche appeal. They don't radiate nearly as much unrestrained creativity as the rest of the industry, despite arguably being creative. AND STOP DEAD BEFORE YOU HIT ME WITH A LIST SAYING HOW CREATIVE ALL THOSE SHOWS ARE. I know they're creative, I'm just saying their creativity feels constrained by arbitrarily evolved industry conventions.

I'll praise The Eccentric Family for laughing itself right out of that straightjacket, but not enough other series do.

The industry is stereotyping itself and it's both depressing and ludicrously stupid.
2924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Somewhere
Offline
Posted 2/16/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:


klote2314 wrote:

I guess asian people are just a bunch of pedo's then if they like that type of people

im 24 my self and rather not want to be remembered from the teenage time its horrid


Bleach was fine btw not to many annoying teenagers being hyper active




you made a thread about annoying teenagers, and then went on to praise bleach? what kind of self-contradiction?

bleach has one of the most annoying main teen characters i've seen


Least the annoying teenager boy is booked by JYB. Naruto on the other hand is really obnoxious, so is Luffy loo
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.