First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply American, Korean, and Chinese anime
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 2/18/14
I will never view anime as a style, and I think there's a large portion of the community who are in the same boat. I think stuff like RWBY is as much an anime as Cow and Chicken or Dexter's Laboratory.
11801 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Ontario
Offline
Posted 2/18/14
I was at a test screening (when i was 18) for sky blue here in Canada. Had a lot of bits that got cut out. The producers and everything were there to answer questions. Most of which had actually nothing to do with the animation or the story, we were just curious why they would test the film at a film festival and why this one. Oh, also had the north american premier of the third patlabor movie.. i couldn't get tickets though.

On a particularly odd note, they made damn sure to tell us it was the first purely Korean feature length animated film.
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 2/18/14

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

anime is not Cartoons!! RAR! don't you dare sully my great art with that word for american garbage RAR! (/Mockery)


But it is.
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/18/14

Des85 wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

anime is not Cartoons!! RAR! don't you dare sully my great art with that word for american garbage RAR! (/Mockery)


But it is.


I know and agree. I was being a smartass.


9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 2/18/14

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


I know and agree. I was being a smartass.




Write [sarcasme] --- [/sarcasme] around your sarcasme from now on XD
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/18/14

Des85 wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


I know and agree. I was being a smartass.




Write [sarcasme] --- [/sarcasme] around your sarcasme from now on XD


That's what the [/mockery] was meant to imply but anyway. yeah.


27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 2/19/14 , edited 2/19/14

EspeoangeTieler wrote:

lol saying its not a debate thread is not going to work the hipsters are gonna come flaming soon enough i agree with you tho i dont care where it was made if its anime its anime


I think as long as I only explain myself and not just disagree with what someone else says, it won't get to be a debate.


Felstalker wrote:

The animation styles of different countries are far more vast than simply "art style" so much as cultural values and story telling in general.



The reason I focused on art style is because everything else about different animation works are even harder to generalize and place a focus on. I agree there are grand narratives but it's not always the case. Yakitate Japan, one of my favorite anime series, is about... baking bread. There was no grand story, yet it manages to be very engaging somehow. Some animes are also very episodic and their stoy lines almost nonexistent (a very recent example being Lucky Star, another being Minami-ke). Some people like to focus on the non-visual elements, but I chose the visual elements. After all, if an anime is based on a novel or a manga (and vice versa) then there is little to distinguish between them other than visual elements (or lack thereof) because they are more or less the same story.


Balzack wrote:

I will never view anime as a style, and I think there's a large portion of the community who are in the same boat. I think stuff like RWBY is as much an anime as Cow and Chicken or Dexter's Laboratory.


We'll just have to agree to disagree. There is a reason that RWBY is still aired on Crunchyroll while something like Dexter (regardless of stuff like licensing) wouldn't be. One is designed to stylistically imitate Japanese animation while the latter isn't.


Ghostxi wrote:

On a particularly odd note, they made damn sure to tell us it was the first purely Korean feature length animated film.


It was probably first and foremost a point of pride. Secondarily, it's a minor selling point.
22406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 2/19/14

nanikore2 wrote:


The reason I focused on art style is because everything else about different animation works are even harder to generalize and place a focus on. I agree there are grand narratives but it's not always the case. Yakitate Japan, one of my favorite anime series, is about... baking bread. There was no grand story, yet it manages to be very engaging somehow. Some animes are also very episodic and their stoy lines almost nonexistent (a very recent example being Lucky Star, another being Minami-ke). Some people like to focus on the non-visual elements, but I chose the visual elements. After all, if an anime is based on a novel or a manga (and vice versa) then there is little to distinguish between them other than visual elements (or lack thereof) because they are more or less the same story.



Partial disagreement. Even when an Anime is not based upon a grand narrative, it tends to follow Japanese culture.

Slice of Life anime don't tend to have grand stories to tell, but focus on day to day life... of a Japanese person. There are a few exceptions, but they follow or defy cultural rules, and are wholly based upon said societal norms. Take GTO for example, the entire show preaches the moral that "kids arn't bad people, they're kids. You're an adult? Stop being an ass and help the kids out!" GTO is about a delinquent turned teacher in an attempt to help kids out. He defies the normal conventions of a teacher(Specifically teachers of the 80's) and cares for his students far more than his position.

Lucky Star parodies Otaku culture, Yakitate Japan is STRONGLY rooted in the cultural drive to "do ones best", a huge Japanese thing. You don't simply learn to become a great Pokemon trainer, you aim to become THE GREATEST MASTER THEIR EVER WAS. Being the best is something to shoot for, and this kid is trying to make some awesome-as-hell bread here, something to be proud of. Not something half-baked like "earn a day to day living"

compare this to Western Cartoons with western cultural norms. We go for episodic episodes because we'd rather focus on characters over narrative. The idea is to relate to the people, not the events. Ed, Edd, and Eddy has you meet a bunch of kids in a stereotypical suburbia, and has them do crazy weird things no kid could possibly have done. You don't relate to creating a giant roller-coaster and scamming the local kids out of their money, you relate to the greedy conman, the flustered nerd, and the lovable oaf. The entire focus of the show is different! This is far far greater a different than Art.

Art is a single piece of Animation. Animation includes cinematography, choreography, voice acting... It's far more than the style of Art it represents, and as Art fluctuates far far more than anything else, it's the most difficult to label as an identifier.

Don't even get me started on Animation Directors taking influence from each other! (Avatar/Panty and Stocking/Samurai Champloo/Space Dandy/Ect.)


The lines blur way too easily when it comes to Art. A single artist can influence so much, from his own work to those of others.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 2/19/14

Felstalker wrote:

Lucky Star parodies Otaku culture, Yakitate Japan is STRONGLY rooted in the cultural drive to "do ones best", a huge Japanese thing. You don't simply learn to become a great Pokemon trainer, you aim to become THE GREATEST MASTER THEIR EVER WAS. Being the best is something to shoot for, and this kid is trying to make some awesome-as-hell bread here, something to be proud of. Not something half-baked like "earn a day to day living"



Well, I have to agree that using culture to define anime as an art form (e.g. "Anime is animation imbued with Japanese culture" or variations- Just a short sentence off the top of my head) is a very good way to define what anime is. Its a whole lot better than saying something prosaic and non-descriptive like "it's animation" that's for sure.

Interestingly (lame, but interesting nevertheless), anime has been viewed antagonistically in various places of the world because it's seen as some kind of cultural incursion (same as American movies and music in other countries, et cetera). On the flip side, if someone tries really hard to imitate something and actually succeeds to an extent then it could be viewed as some kind of cultural absorption (e.g. the "British invasion" of British rock bands such as The Beatles and The Who. I know they're supposed to be sources of influences and not sources of imitation- Just examples of sources of absorption). You can see this in some of the Chinese samples. Some of them don't really possess their own sensibility because they are stylistic imitations. When you see values displayed inside them, often they are imitated artifacts (memes and tropes). If those imitations do not derive some kind of local identity, then they get it from what they're trying to imitate...
Sogno- 
45646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/19/14
i thought this was a thread about watching other countries's animations

i've only watched one Korean animation, it was a movie... i don't remember what it was called, but it was cute.

I actually own The Last Unicorn. A friend talked me into buying it, but after I watched it I really didn't think it was all that great haha. Music was good though.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 9/12/15 , edited 9/12/15

Felstalker wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:


The reason I focused on art style is because everything else about different animation works are even harder to generalize and place a focus on. I agree there are grand narratives but it's not always the case. Yakitate Japan, one of my favorite anime series, is about... baking bread. There was no grand story, yet it manages to be very engaging somehow. Some animes are also very episodic and their stoy lines almost nonexistent (a very recent example being Lucky Star, another being Minami-ke). Some people like to focus on the non-visual elements, but I chose the visual elements. After all, if an anime is based on a novel or a manga (and vice versa) then there is little to distinguish between them other than visual elements (or lack thereof) because they are more or less the same story.



Partial disagreement. Even when an Anime is not based upon a grand narrative, it tends to follow Japanese culture.



I am revisiting this thread because of the following reason:

After trying to adopt your way of viewing what an anime is, I have ultimately found the viewpoint to be impractical. It simply does not stand to practice.

According to the "cultural definition" of anime, a work such as SiN couldn't be considered an anime since it ostensibly follows some kind of American sensibility (it being a story by Americans) even though the animation was done by a Japanese animation studio.

...Neither could the anime series Winter Sonata, because Winter Sonata was originally a Korean drama serial.

...Neither could the anime series Return of Condor Heroes, because the original material was a Chinese martial arts fantasy novel.

...Neither could this following anime http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-876411/chu-feng-bee-tv-anime?pg=0 (better have the production company change that offending poster of theirs because it says A NI ME , clear as day).

Sorry but your theory, while sounded good is not workable in practice and thus practically false. I am returning to my previous standpoint.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 9/12/15 , edited 9/12/15

MegaMoto_ wrote:

Anime is not an art style. There are multiple art styles in anime so to call all of anime an art style doesn't work.


They all branched from the style influenced by "big eyes little nose" e.g. Betty Boop and others.

Let's dispense with empty theory or even history for a moment and look at practical usage. See for yourself by searching for the term "anime" on online versions of Merriam Webster and Oxford English dictionaries. What is the usage?

You will find, as I have, that the most useful distinction is the aesthetic one.
70020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 9/12/15
For the fucking love of hamburgers.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 9/12/15

Insomnist wrote:

For the fucking love of hamburgers.


I don't understand that comment, please elaborate.
70020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 9/12/15

nanikore2 wrote:


Insomnist wrote:

For the fucking love of hamburgers.


I don't understand that comment, please elaborate.

Just expressing consternation. How your evening going?
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.