First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Ben Stein's "confession"
Member
1283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Everywhere you wa...
Offline
Posted 1/31/08 , edited 4/18/08

clearwateralchemist wrote:

You fail worse than I do. If Jefferson wanted complete seperation of Church and state, he wouldn't have phrased the First Ammendment the way he did. He did write the Constitution. He could have put the words seperation of Church and State into the Constitution, but he didn't. Don't you find that a little odd? Now Jefferson's letter does use the phrase, "Seperation of Church and State." What that phrase refers to is protecting the rights of the Citizen to exercise religion, and preventing the government from interfering in such a manner. Oh wait, that's exactly what the government is doing these days. Also, this was a letter, mentioning the first ammendment. If every letter written between friends were treated as law, no one would be left alive in the world.

Did you know that even though the phrase, "Seperation of Church and state." never turns up in the US constitution, it turned up in the Soviet Union's Constitution? I ask again, if Jefferson wanted seperation of Church and State, wouldn't he have put it into the constitution? Did he 'overlook' such a simple problem, while the soviets didn't?

Did you know, that after he wrote the "seperation of Church and state" letter, he attended church in the largest congregation in North America at the time? This church held its weekly worship services on government property, in the House Chambers of the U.S. Capital Building. If he believed in seperation of church and state so strongly, would he really attend a church on government grounds?

lastly, you say that no one is preventing people from doing those things in public places, right? Let's start with the public school teachers. If the teachers start talking about the Bible, or praying in school, they 'violate' the "speration of church and state," ammnendment. Then, they are promptly fired. I know teachers who have been such fired for their actions. People are fighting to not say the pledge of allegiance in school because it uses the words, "Under God." which they find offensive. Countless lawyers have fought toothe and nail to put an end to Christmas, and countless others have fought to keep Christmas.

Hey, I should thank you. I'm getting more knowledgeable about the current issues because your always challenging me to look deeper into the issues.


Jefferson was a deist though. Not a Christan. http://www.nobeliefs.com/jefferson.htm So you did not look into it enough. He was a strong advocate of the separation. Just because he attended a church service you cant change his writings. Sorry religious people! I support those teachers being fired and hope they never get jobs again anywhere. I also support taking under god out of the pledge as it was added in the 50s and that was stupid. Learn one thing public schools are not a place for your outdated nonsensical garbage. Some of us do not want to deal with it. It annoys us and violates our rights to have the bible taught in schools. Again I hope those teachers lives were ruined throughly. You have to look at the intent of the constitution and how it is interpreted by the supreme court. who has FAR more knowledge on constitutional law than you. Finally even if we were a theocracy it would still be wrong to mix religion and politics as its immoral idiot.

Member
70 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/31/08 , edited 4/18/08
Geez, you're such an angry person. I assume you are referring to yourself when you say you don't want to deal with it in schools or whatever, but you love to deal with it here. Do you hate Christians because you resent people who have found the happiness that you haven't been able to find or what?
Member
1283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Everywhere you wa...
Offline
Posted 1/31/08 , edited 4/18/08

Pep1223 wrote:

Geez, you're such an angry person. I assume you are referring to yourself when you say you don't want to deal with it in schools or whatever, but you love to deal with it here. Do you hate Christians because you resent people who have found the happiness that you haven't been able to find or what?


No its not exactly that I hate you. Its that I hate things that are false such as your religion. I also hate things which put mankind in danger. Its awful that your religion is till here after we have learned so much about the universe. I am happy
Member
23685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 1/31/08 , edited 4/18/08
^ Of course they hate christians! Christians are delusional. Right? We're so delusional, but we're happy. So they dislike Christians. Because dominant trait of hate is something they know, dominant trait of joy is something we know. People are supposed to hate, because it's there, all the time. People who are happy aren't happy for long, cos then emos won't appear. CD covers that show darkness are more enticing cos black is a cool colour, whatever that means. It doesn't make sense to be always so happy, cos it's tiring. Smiling is stupid cos it uses your muscles. Gravity will prevail in future, so frown more! Don't fight the flow, take the path of least resistance. Lie on the ground all day. Plus, only loonies look happy all the time, which is retarded.

And loonies are dangerous! O_O

You need a bit of dark, shadow and gloom to look attractive. Because then we all stand in the dark, and even if you're not great looking, you look mysterious, which is good. Sun shows all your facial flaws, and it's stupid cos it makes you squint, which is not cool. Cool is cold. Leather jackets. Hot is for girls and guys. When you're hot, you take off clothes. Therefore, if you're clothed and in the sun, you're stupid.

Santa is red and fat, and dumb, cos it's red. He smiles, which is more retarded, cos he's red and smiling, for god's sake! Whatever that means. His presents are dumb, cos when we receive presents we have to smile, which is dumb, cos smiling fights gravity. and smiling is so unglam. Only hollywood stars should show their teeth. They're paid.
Member
2697 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / at the computer
Offline
Posted 1/31/08 , edited 4/18/08

YouAreDumb wrote:

Jefferson was a deist though. Not a Christan. http://www.nobeliefs.com/jefferson.htm So you did not look into it enough. He was a strong advocate of the separation. Just because he attended a church service you cant change his writings. Sorry religious people! I support those teachers being fired and hope they never get jobs again anywhere. I also support taking under god out of the pledge as it was added in the 50s and that was stupid. Learn one thing public schools are not a place for your outdated nonsensical garbage. Some of us do not want to deal with it. It annoys us and violates our rights to have the bible taught in schools. Again I hope those teachers lives were ruined throughly. You have to look at the intent of the constitution and how it is interpreted by the supreme court. who has FAR more knowledge on constitutional law than you. Finally even if we were a theocracy it would still be wrong to mix religion and politics as its immoral idiot.



I wonder...what did Christians do to make you so angry with them? Well, you've called me, those teachers, and just about every Christian either an idiot or immoral. True, I don't have a degree in constitutional law, but neither do you. Besides, our founding fathers wrote the constitution so that anyone could be able to read and undestand it.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Seems fairly straightforward to me. Congress shall not have a national religion, but will not prevent its citizens from practicing whatever religion they wanted. Why did it take over 50 years for seperation of Church and state to rise up? It was because those who supported seperation waited till all the founding fathers were long dead. Then the 'seperationists' could set up their beliefs without opposition.

Jefferson may very well have been a diest, but he did attend a church that took place on Government grounds 3 days after he wrote and sent the letter. One who believes completely in complete seperation of Church and State would not attend a church that violates his own words. I know that no one here on this site would do something to violate their own beliefs.

Oh, Don't call anyone an idiot anymore. This is supposed to be a levelheaded debate. We will have no more mudslinging or flaming here, please. By the way, I'll be praying for you, that you come to know God as your Savior, OK.
Member
1283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Everywhere you wa...
Offline
Posted 1/31/08 , edited 4/18/08

Faeleia wrote:

^ Of course they hate christians! Christians are delusional. Right? We're so delusional, but we're happy. So they dislike Christians. Because dominant trait of hate is something they know, dominant trait of joy is something we know. People are supposed to hate, because it's there, all the time. People who are happy aren't happy for long, cos then emos won't appear. CD covers that show darkness are more enticing cos black is a cool colour, whatever that means. It doesn't make sense to be always so happy, cos it's tiring. Smiling is stupid cos it uses your muscles. Gravity will prevail in future, so frown more! Don't fight the flow, take the path of least resistance. Lie on the ground all day. Plus, only loonies look happy all the time, which is retarded.



The fact that a believer is happier than a sceptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.
-- George Bernard Shaw, Androcles and the Lion, Preface (1916) Far more eloquent than I could be


Faeleia wrote:


And loonies are dangerous! O_O



Agreed! Darn Loonies




Faeleia wrote:


Santa is red and fat, and dumb, cos it's red. He smiles, which is more retarded, cos he's red and smiling, for god's sake! Whatever that means. His presents are dumb, cos when we receive presents we have to smile, which is dumb, cos smiling fights gravity. and smiling is so unglam. Only hollywood stars should show their teeth. They're paid.


MY DAD DRESSED UP AS SANTA ONCE. HE BROUGHT ME TOYS AND I WOULD HAVE CREAMED MY JEANS IF HAD NOT BEEN 7. We atheists like to smile as well!
Member
23685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 1/31/08 , edited 4/18/08
K, I needa start moderating this topic too, since it goes outta of topic. Talking about Santa was great, cos he doesn't mind, but poor Ben doesn't get much airtime. Let's just talk about his 'confession' and nothing off track.
Member
2535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F
Offline
Posted 3/5/08 , edited 4/18/08

soon_doo_bu wrote:

Magnus, I appreciate your comments, but please refrain from using curse words. I know it might be a way of expressing your anger, but don't do it here. Thank :D


it's in here: http://www.khouse.org/articles/2004/555/ from a Christian author
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.