First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
The UK and anime (and what little of it there is).
38909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/2/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:
I'm not really surprised, not if it's anything like over here anyway. It's just I know there are quite a lot of people saying stuff like 'Oh the UK has tons of anime and manga for purchase there's this place in London-' when the thing is I don't live in one of the big rich cities like London. I mostly access my anime through the internet, but this what I'm saying. The US has more access to anime on places like here, Crunchyroll, while we're more limited with licensing and all that. A small American town will be able to stream more stuff than a small one in England. becuase England has more restrictions, at least from my experience and what I've heard. It's why I'm not a Premium Member. Despite paying money rather than streaming for free which is more affordable, I'm still not getting the large amount that the US gets which seems pretty unfair. Surely small American towns aren't as limited in the streaming aspect due to most anime being licensed in America?

I guess I was responding to your initial post about anime and manga being so limited that they were basically non-existent in the UK.

No matter what country you're in, if you're out in the boonies, it's going to be difficult to get physical access to anime/mange. But that's par for the course, not something that's unique to the UK. Heck, back in the US I live in a city of over half a million people and I STILL have never heard of any place in my hometown that I could buy anime/manga.

As for streaming, I'm already worn out on that discussion from other threads, so I'm not going to discuss it here. I'm sure someone will pop in to say something about it, though. I will mention, though, that CR does the best it can to license shows for as many places as it can and that it is not always necessarily their fault when a show gets only US streaming.
38743 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 3/2/14
Just out of interest, how good is the Waterstones in Hull? There have been plenty of times when their website has listed it as the only place in the country to stock various semi-rare books that I've been after, so I have always got the impression that it's a rather large one, but Hull's really inconvenient for me to get to so I've never actually been there (going by Wikipedia it's the only place in the UK with a 6 digit population that I've never been to, although Mansfield is close).
27705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / London, UK
Offline
Posted 3/2/14

kuuderes_shadow wrote:


Strahfobiya wrote:


Itachi4Life794 wrote:

One word....
Amazon!

I've given up trying to find shops that sell animes and mangas!


Have you seen the place in Picadilly? Tokyotoys or something like that, they have some manga/anime among other things. It's not that good but it's okk.

http://www.otakunews.com/uk/article.php?story=1457


Tokyo Toys is a merchandise shop. Yes they have some manga, but their selection is awful. If you are in the area there are so many better places to go to (Waterstones, Forbidden Planet, Orbit Comics) that there's no reason to bother even checking Tokyo Toys if you're just after manga.


I'll check it out when I have the time, Thanks!
27405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Surrey, UK
Offline
Posted 3/2/14
I've usually found comic shops a good place for manga. Although, these days, I mainly consume mine via Kindle or by online shopping.

Anime, I mostly buy from Amazon or watch here. And... via the "dark side" depending on availability. But I also look into things simply because they're out, and have discovered a few gems that way. And over the past year i have consumed a hell of a lot via my premium account here.

Now, yes, it does bug me that the Uk catalogue is smaller than the US one, but catalogue size isn't really the main reason I pay. I get it for the TV/mobile apps. I sit down and marathon a crap-ton on a weekend of during time off work.

Now i think some of the problem we get over here is the sheer size of the market. In that the UK is comparatively small anyway so a niche market in the UK is pretty damned tiny. So Anime and manga can't get quite as many releases out there as other countries might get.
(Seriously. Last September I visited Lille in France. They had an entertainment megastore there whether the manga subsection of the book section was almost as large as a complete small Waterstones)
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 3/2/14
So how's that going to work out? is like everyone north of Glasgow going to have to decide weather they want a Scottish or British Passport? Is Scotland going to enact it's own currency?

27405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Surrey, UK
Offline
Posted 3/2/14

kuuderes_shadow wrote:

Just out of interest, how good is the Waterstones in Hull? There have been plenty of times when their website has listed it as the only place in the country to stock various semi-rare books that I've been after, so I have always got the impression that it's a rather large one, but Hull's really inconvenient for me to get to so I've never actually been there (going by Wikipedia it's the only place in the UK with a 6 digit population that I've never been to, although Mansfield is close).


I find that, outside of London, Waterstones can be rather hit-and-miss with regards to the size of the manga section.

In fact, in Guildford this afternoon, i saw one of the larger manga sections outside of London in a WH Smiths of all places!
38743 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 3/2/14

TiggsPanther wrote:


kuuderes_shadow wrote:

Just out of interest, how good is the Waterstones in Hull? There have been plenty of times when their website has listed it as the only place in the country to stock various semi-rare books that I've been after, so I have always got the impression that it's a rather large one, but Hull's really inconvenient for me to get to so I've never actually been there (going by Wikipedia it's the only place in the UK with a 6 digit population that I've never been to, although Mansfield is close).


I find that, outside of London, Waterstones can be rather hit-and-miss with regards to the size of the manga section.

In fact, in Guildford this afternoon, i saw one of the larger manga sections outside of London in a WH Smiths of all places!


Yes, it does vary a lot. And not just from place to place - over time any given store can fluctuate a surprisingly large amount in how much it has. And it's not just outside of London either - Waterstones Oxford Street Plaza has a very small selection (or at least did the last time I was in there) but does have a habit of getting hold of things that aren't in any of the larger nearby stores.

WHSmiths I see as a place of last resort. Yes, the larger ones can have reasonable sized manga selections, but there's no way of getting any sort of discount on them (unless you have one of those gift voucher things they give out with receipts sometimes which just happens to cover what you want to buy), and they're generally volumes that are easy to find elsewhere.
38909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/2/14
If you can read Japanese, there is a Japanese-only bookstore called Adanami in Soho in London that has a very nice selection of manga.

I picked up the first volume of Attack on Titan and the 26th volume of Hunter x Hunter there.
27405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Surrey, UK
Offline
Posted 3/2/14

kuuderes_shadow wrote:
Yes, it does vary a lot. And not just from place to place - over time any given store can fluctuate a surprisingly large amount in how much it has. And it's not just outside of London either - Waterstones Oxford Street Plaza has a very small selection (or at least did the last time I was in there) but does have a habit of getting hold of things that aren't in any of the larger nearby stores.


I imagien part of that would be down to that being a relatively small store, as I recall. (Unless I have my mental directions mixed up). And there are seveal really big bookstores and a Forbinned Planet nearby. So having a large section wouldn't make sense. but having a different selection would.


WHSmiths I see as a place of last resort. Yes, the larger ones can have reasonable sized manga selections, but there's no way of getting any sort of discount on them (unless you have one of those gift voucher things they give out with receipts sometimes which just happens to cover what you want to buy), and they're generally volumes that are easy to find elsewhere.


I only went in because I had a £10 gift card kicking around from Christmas. And I was looking at the Graphic novel section, and saw a fair chunk of Anime. Would've been great use for the card if i still bought physical copies, or if they had the older series I'm still collecting.

Was still nice to see, though.
One Punch Mod
85944 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 12/27/15
Year-end cleaning. Closing threads with no new posts since 2014.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.