First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Golden Time light novel Discussion
8010 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/15/14 , edited 3/15/14
Thanks so much for your willingness to translate all that, hpulley.

72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14
First, sorry I didn't reply sooner! I didn't get any forum notices and forgot to just drop by the thread so I assumed that people were trying to stay away from spoilers...


MacMeaties wrote:


hpulley wrote:]



If you watched episode 23... you can see... that episode 24 will be interesting indeed.

GoldTStar wrote:

hpulley

It is more surprising than just them breaking up. I leave it up to you to read it or wait another week.

smijca wrote:

Thanks so much for your willingness to translate all that, hpulley.


25026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 3/20/14
Just thought I'd drop this by for everyone. I came across another translation of the last few pages.



What I find interesting about this is there are some slight differences in this translation compared to hpulley's that give a slightly different spin to the events.
Due to these differences I'd like to know what hpulluy's thoughs on this particular translation is.
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14

MacMeaties wrote:

Just thought I'd drop this by for everyone. I came across another translation of the last few pages.



What I find interesting about this is there are some slight differences in this translation compared to hpulley's that give a slightly different spin to the events.
Due to these differences I'd like to know what hpulluy's thoughs on this particular translation is.
My translation is my quick translation. I'm not a native speaker so I can get things wrong. They are similar but as you noted there are differences too. That one seems a little more hopeful in the end, who could that person be? While in mine he seems very confused again. Guess we'll see how the anime does it!

I was sure he said he was not happy in the present but perhaps I mistranslated the "beyond compare" portion, I thought for sure it meant he couldn't be happy then, not that his happiness couldn't be compared.
25026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 3/20/14

hpulley wrote:My translation is my quick translation. I'm not a native speaker so I can get things wrong. They are similar but as you noted there are differences too. That one seems a little more hopeful in the end, who could that person be? While in mine he seems very confused again. Guess we'll see how the anime does it!

I was sure he said he was not happy in the present but perhaps I mistranslated the "beyond compare" portion, I thought for sure it meant he couldn't be happy then, not that his happiness couldn't be compared.


Not being able to read or speak a word of Japanese and not having the source material I'm in no position to say which translation is right and that wasn't my intention with posting that alternative translation. I was just posting it to get your take on it.

As for who that person at the end could be the theory on the forum in which that translation was posted is that it was mirroring the start of the novel where ghost Banri was watching new Banri going to uni; basically implying that both old and new Banri finally reach out to each other.

Obviously we won't know until the anime ending whether or not this is true or just wishful thinking on behave of that particular translator.
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14

MacMeaties wrote:


hpulley wrote:My translation is my quick translation. I'm not a native speaker so I can get things wrong. They are similar but as you noted there are differences too. That one seems a little more hopeful in the end, who could that person be? While in mine he seems very confused again. Guess we'll see how the anime does it!

I was sure he said he was not happy in the present but perhaps I mistranslated the "beyond compare" portion, I thought for sure it meant he couldn't be happy then, not that his happiness couldn't be compared.


Not being able to read or speak a word of Japanese and not having the source material I'm in no position to say which translation is right and that wasn't my intention with posting that alternative translation. I was just posting it to get your take on it.

As for who that person at the end could be the theory on the forum in which that translation was posted is that it was mirroring the start of the novel where ghost Banri was watching new Banri going to uni; basically implying that both old and new Banri finally reach out to each other.

Obviously we won't know until the anime ending whether or not this is true or just wishful thinking on behave of that particular translator.
Unless the author says what they really intended or they tell the anime team what to do, all we have it that, and we can only take it at 'face value' (hardy har har). He said like a mirror which does make it sound like it is himself but seeing his ghost self in the street still makes me pessimistic about his mental health at the end. He still seems to be not all there. I'm not sure how he can attend university like that but... that's what he seems to be doing.

I just found it odd that Kouko wasn't there in the end. If he was happy with her in the second-last scene like the other translator wrote, then why isn't she there 4 months later? Why wasn't he with Kouko to see the new baby instead? That still makes me pessimistic about the happy ending but perhaps it is happier than I think it is. We shall see.
25026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 3/20/14

hpulley wrote:Unless the author says what they really intended or they tell the anime team what to do, all we have it that, and we can only take it at 'face value' (hardy har har). He said like a mirror which does make it sound like it is himself but seeing his ghost self in the street still makes me pessimistic about his mental health at the end. He still seems to be not all there. I'm not sure how he can attend university like that but... that's what he seems to be doing.

I just found it odd that Kouko wasn't there in the end. If he was happy with her in the second-last scene like the other translator wrote, then why isn't she there 4 months later? Why wasn't he with Kouko to see the new baby instead? That still makes me pessimistic about the happy ending but perhaps it is happier than I think it is. We shall see.


lol yeah no matter what way you look at it Banri is still pretty screwed up. I think we may just have to keep an eye out for interviews with the author to see if she ever explains what the ending is meant to mean. Is it being left intentionally vague in hopes of releasing a surprise epilogue with the final bluray volume or some other sinister ploy?! lol *dons tinfoil hat*

We may never know! It might just be irritatingly ambiguous and nothing more nothing less. Just a meh ending.
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/20/14

MacMeaties wrote:


hpulley wrote:Unless the author says what they really intended or they tell the anime team what to do, all we have it that, and we can only take it at 'face value' (hardy har har). He said like a mirror which does make it sound like it is himself but seeing his ghost self in the street still makes me pessimistic about his mental health at the end. He still seems to be not all there. I'm not sure how he can attend university like that but... that's what he seems to be doing.

I just found it odd that Kouko wasn't there in the end. If he was happy with her in the second-last scene like the other translator wrote, then why isn't she there 4 months later? Why wasn't he with Kouko to see the new baby instead? That still makes me pessimistic about the happy ending but perhaps it is happier than I think it is. We shall see.


lol yeah no matter what way you look at it Banri is still pretty screwed up. I think we may just have to keep an eye out for interviews with the author to see if she ever explains what the ending is meant to mean. Is it being left intentionally vague in hopes of releasing a surprise epilogue with the final bluray volume or some other sinister ploy?! lol *dons tinfoil hat*

We may never know! It might just be irritatingly ambiguous and nothing more nothing less. Just a meh ending.
That is why I like Sakurasou. It is happy and fun, with tough spots, sad places but I loved the ending. Others did not, I guess they were shipping the other girl but they should read 10.5 where that other girl gets....

25026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 3/20/14

hpulley wrote:

That is why I like Sakurasou. It is happy and fun, with tough spots, sad places but I loved the ending. Others did not, I guess they were shipping the other girl but they should read 10.5 where that other girl gets....



Agreed sir. You can give me clichés, tropes, time skips or any other plot device you want but as long as the ending is happy I will be too even if my ship doesn't "win" (because my ships almost never win so I'm just used to it lol) although in this instance she did. Hopefully we'll see a season two of that once JC Staff aren't up to their tits in Golden Time and Little Busters.
52885 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 3/20/14
Welp....by the looks of both ending you both gave...Looks like this was a bit, lackluster. Well guess the writer wanted to truly give "life", you don't get what you want that is for sure. Well atleast if it does end this way I can be able to add golden time to the do not buy list, and aleast my wallet will be happy.
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/20/14

MacMeaties wrote:
... Hopefully we'll see a season two of that once JC Staff aren't up to their tits in Golden Time and Little Busters.

Be shocked if we got more Sakurasou. They've got Love Stage and Fuuun Ishin Dai☆Shogun coming up.
25026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 3/20/14
Stranger things have happened. Not going to hold my breath though
18097 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/20/14


First forum comment! But this show so overwhelmed me with the feels I had to come looking for more. Thank you hpulley and all for your translations, which might allow me to actually get some sleep after episode 23.
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/21/14

Anairellan wrote:



First forum comment! But this show so overwhelmed me with the feels I had to come looking for more. Thank you hpulley and all for your translations, which might allow me to actually get some sleep after episode 23.
You're welcome. Episode 23 really ended on a cliffhanger, didn't it!?! Seemed like the last one but there is still more to come.
30480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/24/14
Thank You, Hpulley! I have myself braced for the last episode. Thanks Again!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.