First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
How To Get Anyone Into Watching Anime
2308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/9/14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eqghJn6n2A

It's really that simple, don't hesitate because the series you were going to recommend is overhyped or overrated...

314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Nowhere Islands
Offline
Posted 3/9/14
This is a pretty solid strategy.
690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 3/9/14
Nice idea, it's true though. Firstly you need to give them patience and with that a good first episode.
5222 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 3/9/14
Or just force them to watch a Miyazaki movie. You've got to be heartless to dislike Spirited Away.
2308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/9/14

Dirk_McStride wrote:

Or just force them to watch a Miyazaki movie. You've got to be heartless to dislike Spirited Away.


I need to watch spirited away lol
79755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 3/9/14
While theoretically you could get anyone into anime, in reality is isn't the case. There will always be some people that just don't like animation as a storytelling medium. They will find it interferes to the point that they can't get into the story, even if it is a story they like.

For everyone else, it is just a matter of finding a story that they can get into.
2308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/9/14

deadpanditto wrote:

While theoretically you could get anyone into anime, in reality is isn't the case. There will always be some people that just don't like animation as a storytelling medium. They will find it interferes to the point that they can't get into the story, even if it is a story they like.

For everyone else, it is just a matter of finding a story that they can get into.


I disagree the individuals you are referring to are a really small group, it's not that complicated, there aren't stories someone can't get into lol, watch 20 minutes of something you like and you're sure to get hooked.
57034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 3/9/14
*shrugs*

I'll trot out the old saying:

Anime is like the priesthood. You either feel the call, or you don't.

(And, if you do, someone probably suspects you of being a pervert.)
79755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 3/9/14

badisglaid wrote:


deadpanditto wrote:

While theoretically you could get anyone into anime, in reality is isn't the case. There will always be some people that just don't like animation as a storytelling medium. They will find it interferes to the point that they can't get into the story, even if it is a story they like.

For everyone else, it is just a matter of finding a story that they can get into.


I disagree the individuals you are referring to are a really small group, it's not that complicated, there aren't stories someone can't get into lol, watch 20 minutes of something you like and you're sure to get hooked.


Not to be nitpicky but you did say "anyone". Even your video makes assumptions about the people that you would introduce to anime. I'm just pointing out some of your assumptions don't stand up to scrutiny. Also, I believe that "really small group" isn't nearly as small as you may think, especially if you consider older individuals. Just how much *practical* experience have you had in exposing other people to anime? What was the age range of those individuals? What was the diversity of their experience?

Anyway, like I said, I'm not trying to be nitpicky. I just think it is a little more involved than you let on.


rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:

*shrugs*

I'll trot out the old saying:

Anime is like the priesthood. You either feel the call, or you don't.

(And, if you do, someone probably suspects you of being a pervert.)


QFE.
So very true. lmao
2308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/9/14


You're over analyzing this lol.
104119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 3/9/14
Just show some 2D boobs and the dudes will come flocking in.

The gals can watch some Free! swimming, lol.
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 3/9/14
Juxt time them up and make them watch Karas and BINGO!
7198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / nortwoods
Offline
Posted 3/9/14
In high school i had some movie buff friends and just showed them some of the great movies like ghost in the shell and akira.
2308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/9/14

AnimeKami wrote:

Just show some 2D boobs and the dudes will come flocking in.

The gals can watch some Free! swimming, lol.


Well that's one way to go about it haha.
Posted 3/9/14
Getting into anime depends on the social group you are in. Being a geek (a real geek, not someone who played The Legend Of Zelda once...), it was only a matter of time until i watched anime. References being slung around and the amount of talk among my friends on the basis of anime really pushed it, but mainly, it was finishing school. I always found school was often rather narrow-minded. I had to wait until college till i was brave enough to watch anime (Yup. People are just that closed minded).

Oh, and given the fact that I find too much garbage on TV. There is a few gems to be found in the rough, but its pretty hard to find em sometimes.

If you want my opinion on getting someone into Anime, choose something that holds a lot of references to western cartoons. Avatar: The Last Airbender was my favourite show when i was young (might go back to watching it lol). But Rwby was my "entry" into Anime. The main thing is to give people a taste before you throw a load of anime shows at them. While i'm sure Death Note is great, if you're just trying out Anime, perhaps it's more of an acquired taste.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.