First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Should I Watch Kill la Kill?
93 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/14
I don't think Shrrg was asking permission to watch the show so much as asking people's opinions on the show.
17953 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/14 , edited 3/12/14
I'm sure you have a premium membership so you can watch anime here.

So just do that.
5817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Vancouver, BC.
Offline
Posted 3/12/14
Umm, yes! That shit is cray.
6553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/12/14

Shrrg wrote:

Kill la Kill's a pretty big show right now, but I'm waiting for it to finish airing before I decide whether or not to jump onto it (along with Nagi no Asukara and Golden Time). I'm already planning to watch the last two, as they're in my preferred taste. Kill la Kill however is, from what I've heard, a fantastically entertaining action show provided I can turn my brain off while watching it. Because seriously, I've heard some major bashes against its writing.



You should watch it, and join us in our legion of enlightened and anatomically comfortable comrades.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-820559/kill-la-kill-discussion
38276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/14 , edited 3/12/14
I would say watch it, but depending on your preferences, you may need to be patient. I was barely hanging on through the first half -- you can tell that the writers are building towards something interesting, but if the style isn't to your liking, then the entire first half may not be enjoyable. I tend to keep my patience when I can see that there's something interesting in the making, and at this point in the show, I think it was worth it to hang on. On the other hand, there was a lot going on in the first half that just didn't click with me, and I typically really enjoy the more eccentric kinds of shows. Depending on your character, it may not be worth it. At any rate, watch the first few episodes to see if it fits your aesthetic preferences. If it doesn't, then keep in mind that what you're seeing is pretty much what you'll be seeing until approximately episode 9, and by episode 12 or 13 you will have an idea for what to expect from the rest of the show.
106166 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/12/14
I approach watching anime in the exact same way. I read a lot of reviews and listen to friends' recommendations before starting something, but after enough time it's ultimately up to you to decide whether to watch something or not.

I've seen the first episode of KLK and thought it definitely had promise but because I prefer to watch something all in one go, I chose to wait until it's nearly done or finished entirely to begin viewing it.

Choosing what to watch and when can be a reward all its own. Sometimes an anime can hit you at the perfect time in life or in your journey through anime. Not saying KLK will be anything that profound but it can be the case with any good anime.
20536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 3/12/14
Hmmmm, I was never the biggest fan of the first 13 episodes and I even dropped it twice, but after that I began getting into it. My biggest problems were the main characters and the fans who overhyped the show. After I changed my mindset and decided to just have fun with it, it's pretty fun. Pretty good even, not to mention the later episodes got much better. I say give it a shot. It's one of those anime you should be apart of it when it's in it's time since it will be remembered.
15321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 3/12/14

Shrrg wrote:

Kill la Kill's a pretty big show right now, but I'm waiting for it to finish airing before I decide whether or not to jump onto it (along with Nagi no Asukara and Golden Time). I'm already planning to watch the last two, as they're in my preferred taste. Kill la Kill however is, from what I've heard, a fantastically entertaining action show provided I can turn my brain off while watching it. Because seriously, I've heard some major bashes against its writing.


I'm going to be mean and say something about the brain comment.

Unless it's porn, If you're told to "turn your brain off while watching something" the person who told you to do such is stupid, and I would avoid association with them. You got to think and digest things for yourself man! This ain't no KyoAni Free! Here!

When suggesting a show, I like to start with the studio, and move to the director. Studio Trigger is brand new, and has only 3 works attributed to them. One is a government funded OVA titled "Little Witch Academia" which is up on Youtube and Crunchyroll. You should watch this, and it'll only take half an hour of your time. Hell, if you havn't seen it GO NOW, STOP READING AND WATCH IT.

The second is "Inferno Cop", also posted upon youtube(Officially if I remember right) and has the lowest production values of any anime I've ever seen, it's fucking hilarious. The episodes are much shorter at like 3 or 5 minutes, go watch it on Youtube.

Now, this is where you look at the Director, and this guy has a few big works up his sleeve. Hiroyuki Imaishi is a former Gainax Director, and has handled 2 Series and a Movie, and is commonly associated with something he's worked on in a smaller capacity(A key-animator for FLCL)

Gurren Lagann - as far as I remember, his Directorial Debut. It's well known, highly popular, and celebrated Mecha Anime(And a celebration/tribute to the works of Ken Ishikawa and Go Nagi, Ken died a year before Gurren Lagann was introduced, and he is famous for the art-style that Gurren Lagann reproduced)

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt - a hilaroius gag-anime based upon Western Cartoons. With an Art style mimicing Powerpuff Girls and a 2-shorts episode format. The show is amazing in English, I highly suggest you check it out. From the Dawn of the Dead episode, Saving Private Ryan reenacted with Semen, Transformers episode, and Phoenix Wright episode this show has too many references to count.

He's also directed the movie Dead Leaves, which I suggest you check out in your free time as well!

So, if you like or have seen any of those, you'll understand the general style Kill la Kill is going for.

To give you a general background check, Kill la Kill is a homage to 80's Anime, with a lot of themes, references, and styles reminicent of them. The show and plot itself is more absurd and hilarious, a homage isn't a copy but....a tribute. It's just celebrating the cool things of the past. From character designs based upon 80's Characters, references to shows like Devil Man, Getter Robo, Ideon, Gundam, Fist of the North Star, and a load of Go Nagi's designs. To episode names all based upon famous 80's songs!

Kill la Kill has far too many references, far too complex characters, and far far too crazy a plot to be seen without your Brain on. Keep your brain on, and keep asking it questions. Ask things like "Was that a reference to something? Are they making fun of the Genre? Was that purely for action's sake or did it have a reason?"

Satsuki's far too amazing a character, far too amazing a Female character, to skip this show! Comparatively, I found Golden Time to be extremely well written piece of generic Anime(which is a good thing!) and Nagi...well, the same thing!

Also keep in mind, Trigger is a small, and very very new, studio. You shouldn't expect the animation given to shows from the bigger companies....but Trigger has managed to fool a lot of people so far, you might be as well. They cut corners in the most epic of ways.

So....you should probably see Kill la Kill. I wrote a long post to try and convince you to. But you can wait a week ,as new episodes are still coming out for the next 3.
76525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/12/14
Kill la Kill is a pure action driven rush

a lot of it is fairly predictable but even when you see something coming a mile away they still manage to do it in a way that you didn't see coming.

Fantastic Eye candy with equal opportunity fanservice.

(frankly near the end the girls people accused of having skimpy costumes are wearing more clothing than the guys.)
Mazzzz 
13180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/14

Felstalker wrote:


Shrrg wrote:

Kill la Kill's a pretty big show right now, but I'm waiting for it to finish airing before I decide whether or not to jump onto it (along with Nagi no Asukara and Golden Time). I'm already planning to watch the last two, as they're in my preferred taste. Kill la Kill however is, from what I've heard, a fantastically entertaining action show provided I can turn my brain off while watching it. Because seriously, I've heard some major bashes against its writing.


I'm going to be mean and say something about the brain comment.

Unless it's porn, If you're told to "turn your brain off while watching something" the person who told you to do such is stupid, and I would avoid association with them. You got to think and digest things for yourself man! This ain't no KyoAni Free! Here!

When suggesting a show, I like to start with the studio, and move to the director. Studio Trigger is brand new, and has only 3 works attributed to them. One is a government funded OVA titled "Little Witch Academia" which is up on Youtube and Crunchyroll. You should watch this, and it'll only take half an hour of your time. Hell, if you havn't seen it GO NOW, STOP READING AND WATCH IT.

The second is "Inferno Cop", also posted upon youtube(Officially if I remember right) and has the lowest production values of any anime I've ever seen, it's fucking hilarious. The episodes are much shorter at like 3 or 5 minutes, go watch it on Youtube.

Now, this is where you look at the Director, and this guy has a few big works up his sleeve. Hiroyuki Imaishi is a former Gainax Director, and has handled 2 Series and a Movie, and is commonly associated with something he's worked on in a smaller capacity(A key-animator for FLCL)

Gurren Lagann - as far as I remember, his Directorial Debut. It's well known, highly popular, and celebrated Mecha Anime(And a celebration/tribute to the works of Ken Ishikawa and Go Nagi, Ken died a year before Gurren Lagann was introduced, and he is famous for the art-style that Gurren Lagann reproduced)

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt - a hilaroius gag-anime based upon Western Cartoons. With an Art style mimicing Powerpuff Girls and a 2-shorts episode format. The show is amazing in English, I highly suggest you check it out. From the Dawn of the Dead episode, Saving Private Ryan reenacted with Semen, Transformers episode, and Phoenix Wright episode this show has too many references to count.

He's also directed the movie Dead Leaves, which I suggest you check out in your free time as well!

So, if you like or have seen any of those, you'll understand the general style Kill la Kill is going for.

To give you a general background check, Kill la Kill is a homage to 80's Anime, with a lot of themes, references, and styles reminicent of them. The show and plot itself is more absurd and hilarious, a homage isn't a copy but....a tribute. It's just celebrating the cool things of the past. From character designs based upon 80's Characters, references to shows like Devil Man, Getter Robo, Ideon, Gundam, Fist of the North Star, and a load of Go Nagi's designs. To episode names all based upon famous 80's songs!

Kill la Kill has far too many references, far too complex characters, and far far too crazy a plot to be seen without your Brain on. Keep your brain on, and keep asking it questions. Ask things like "Was that a reference to something? Are they making fun of the Genre? Was that purely for action's sake or did it have a reason?"

Satsuki's far too amazing a character, far too amazing a Female character, to skip this show! Comparatively, I found Golden Time to be extremely well written piece of generic Anime(which is a good thing!) and Nagi...well, the same thing!

Also keep in mind, Trigger is a small, and very very new, studio. You shouldn't expect the animation given to shows from the bigger companies....but Trigger has managed to fool a lot of people so far, you might be as well. They cut corners in the most epic of ways.

So....you should probably see Kill la Kill. I wrote a long post to try and convince you to. But you can wait a week ,as new episodes are still coming out for the next 3.


This guy is pretty spot on, though perhaps a bit too biased. My liking of Kill la Kill is a completely shallow one, I haven't see much 80s anime or movies, and I'm not the most familiar with the genre at hand (maybe not genre, but the whole student council trope). But even with all that said, it is still a fantastically enjoyable show. The fight scenes are great, it's over the top in all kinds of ways, and just an overall fun watch. I guess what people mean when they say turn your brain off when watching it is more along the lines of not expecting a Serial Experiments Lain or Evangelion kind of show, that is exploring all these themes and whatnot. It isn't a thought provoking anime, and that isn't bad. But where I disagree with Felstalker is that the plot isn't very complex; it's fairly simple to understand, though at points later on in the show it can get a bit confusing. The same is with the characters, with the exception of maybe Satsuki, none of them are really complex, and even saying she is is going pretty far. ost of the characters are pretty one or two dimensional, but again for this kind of show that isn't bad. All and all I'm saying its a really good watch (certainly better than the other two, one of which gets really annoying and the other I dropped halfway through), just don't expect a show like Evangelion out of it where you can write term papers on it's plot and characters.
16045 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 3/12/14

CheeseKaiser wrote:

I never really understood the TTGL comparisons. I realize its because of the director, but to me the shows aren't even close to similar.


The animation style and the odd humor is similar. I do see a resemblance but yea they are still very different.
15321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 3/12/14

Mazzzz wrote:


This guy is pretty spot on, though perhaps a bit too biased. My liking of Kill la Kill is a completely shallow one, I haven't see much 80s anime or movies, and I'm not the most familiar with the genre at hand (maybe not genre, but the whole student council trope). But even with all that said, it is still a fantastically enjoyable show. The fight scenes are great, it's over the top in all kinds of ways, and just an overall fun watch. I guess what people mean when they say turn your brain off when watching it is more along the lines of not expecting a Serial Experiments Lain or Evangelion kind of show, that is exploring all these themes and whatnot. It isn't a thought provoking anime, and that isn't bad. But where I disagree with Felstalker is that the plot isn't very complex; it's fairly simple to understand, though at points later on in the show it can get a bit confusing. The same is with the characters, with the exception of maybe Satsuki, none of them are really complex, and even saying she is is going pretty far. ost of the characters are pretty one or two dimensional, but again for this kind of show that isn't bad. All and all I'm saying its a really good watch (certainly better than the other two, one of which gets really annoying and the other I dropped halfway through), just don't expect a show like Evangelion out of it where you can write term papers on it's plot and characters.


I've already done that on Gamagoori! The dude has layers, like a Shrek. They managed to make a character with a personality and core beliefs influenced by his upbringing, an upbringing they tell us about OUTSIDE the show itself. His uniform speaks volumes about his character, WHILE giving them a S&M joke to play with, even if it's more complicated than that.

That's the kind of complexity's they got!

And yeah, I'm heavily bias.... I was biased the day I heard about Trigger becoming a studio.
Mazzzz 
13180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/14

Felstalker wrote:


Mazzzz wrote:


This guy is pretty spot on, though perhaps a bit too biased. My liking of Kill la Kill is a completely shallow one, I haven't see much 80s anime or movies, and I'm not the most familiar with the genre at hand (maybe not genre, but the whole student council trope). But even with all that said, it is still a fantastically enjoyable show. The fight scenes are great, it's over the top in all kinds of ways, and just an overall fun watch. I guess what people mean when they say turn your brain off when watching it is more along the lines of not expecting a Serial Experiments Lain or Evangelion kind of show, that is exploring all these themes and whatnot. It isn't a thought provoking anime, and that isn't bad. But where I disagree with Felstalker is that the plot isn't very complex; it's fairly simple to understand, though at points later on in the show it can get a bit confusing. The same is with the characters, with the exception of maybe Satsuki, none of them are really complex, and even saying she is is going pretty far. ost of the characters are pretty one or two dimensional, but again for this kind of show that isn't bad. All and all I'm saying its a really good watch (certainly better than the other two, one of which gets really annoying and the other I dropped halfway through), just don't expect a show like Evangelion out of it where you can write term papers on it's plot and characters.


I've already done that on Gamagoori! The dude has layers, like a Shrek. They managed to make a character with a personality and core beliefs influenced by his upbringing, an upbringing they tell us about OUTSIDE the show itself. His uniform speaks volumes about his character, WHILE giving them a S&M joke to play with, even if it's more complicated than that.

That's the kind of complexity's they got!

And yeah, I'm heavily bias.... I was biased the day I heard about Trigger becoming a studio.


I admit I hardly remember all the points of Gama's episode, but what did they tell us about his upbringing outside the episode exactly? I'm also curious about what his uniform speaks about him.
7500 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/12/14
If you liked Gurren Lagann than you'll enjoy Kill la Kill. I like It because the story is good, love the characters and it's funny, but that's just my opinion.
4169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/14
WHERE IS THE NUDIST BEACH?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.