First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Inspiration to Watch.
17380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/14
And here I thought index was good because of the settings, symbolism, side characters, and the dichotomy between its utopian surface and dystopian underbelly. It also happens to be flashy.

Anyways, I'm drawn to anime by the thought and care I think the creators put in.
I like the tension and catharsis of it all.
19765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/14

Nobodyofimportance wrote:

And here I thought index was good because of the settings, symbolism, side characters, and the dichotomy between its utopian surface and dystopian underbelly. It also happens to be flashy.

Anyways, I'm drawn to anime by the thought and care I think the creators put in.
I like the tension and catharsis of it all.


Thank you. I needed that. Exams made my analysis skills really terrible today.
17380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/14


Thank you. I needed that. Exams made my analysis skills really terrible today.



You're welcome!
Always glad to lend people hands.
22406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 3/19/14

dniv wrote:

Having seen a ton of anime, more than 100, I can say that the series does everything with a very unique and original flavor.


I had this long awesome post about stuff, and I took yours and edited it to remove repetitiveness, and I had all these nifty pictures and graphs..... it was going to be awesome.

Then I accidently hit the shut-off button on my laptop, and everything went away. All that work, gone. I put so much work into it, trying to be careful about insulting the show that I've not seen yet, and other stuff that's probably super important.

To sum it all up very quickly, without muss.

I really liked your post, and I can see how much you like Index as a show. I can't see why you do, as you were very vague and repetitive. Everyone else has told me the same thing, "Go watch Railgun, ignore Index"
Railgun is essentially Index without the worst two characters in it. That is what I'm told.

Why is Touma so awesome? What makes his power so unique and special?

Luffy of One Piece fame has quite the interesting power. He's made of rubber, and can do things related to that. Why is that? Why did the author go with such a specific and odd power? Apparently, he wanted Luffy to be a bit unique. Often times, the most popular or powerful characters have something simple. Such as shooting fire or manipulating gravity or whatever. The more vague the power, the more powerful it tends to be. He wanted Luffy's strength to generally rely on his(the author) own imagination. It was creative and fun, and has little bearing on the shows storytelling on it's own.
Luffy is on a quest to become King of the Pirates. As the show has gone on, that has never changed. From episode 1 ALL THE WAY today, 4Kid's Dub or Original Japanese, each episode has the same narration.
"Gold Roger was Pirate King, He had a-lot-a-treasure. Go get it to become King"(Paraphrased)
This never changes.

The original Dragonball was about Goku's journey to obtain 7 Magical balls that grant any with. As the show went on, Goku's journey to become the strongest martial artist, then to save the world from a great evil. Even as the show changed, until Dragonball z it was about Goku's journey.

J.C. Staff I'm not very fond of, so the Anime adaptation might not be up to par with the LN's. But I'll ask again. Why is Touma so awesome? What makes him such a character to devote my time and energy into liking?

I might not look it, but I've seen a lot of anime. I've sat down and taken apart show after show, and seen things that do and do not work. From what I'm told, The thing that doesn't work about Index, is it's characters. And that can ruin a show really damn quick.

And no, this post was not long! I miss my graphs and lengthy analysis of what makes a character or story good and interesting.
Index currently sounds like the plot from Kingdom of Amalur. So much plot, lore, characters, and things. Yet so very very very little fucks to give, because your so disconnected from the story. Fail to engage the viewer? Well, that story doesn't mean nothing anymore!
19765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/19/14 , edited 3/19/14

Felstalker wrote:


dniv wrote:

Having seen a ton of anime, more than 100, I can say that the series does everything with a very unique and original flavor.


I had this long awesome post about stuff, and I took yours and edited it to remove repetitiveness, and I had all these nifty pictures and graphs..... it was going to be awesome.

Then I accidently hit the shut-off button on my laptop, and everything went away. All that work, gone. I put so much work into it, trying to be careful about insulting the show that I've not seen yet, and other stuff that's probably super important.

To sum it all up very quickly, without muss.

I really liked your post, and I can see how much you like Index as a show. I can't see why you do, as you were very vague and repetitive. Everyone else has told me the same thing, "Go watch Railgun, ignore Index"
Railgun is essentially Index without the worst two characters in it. That is what I'm told.

Why is Touma so awesome? What makes his power so unique and special?

Luffy of One Piece fame has quite the interesting power. He's made of rubber, and can do things related to that. Why is that? Why did the author go with such a specific and odd power? Apparently, he wanted Luffy to be a bit unique. Often times, the most popular or powerful characters have something simple. Such as shooting fire or manipulating gravity or whatever. The more vague the power, the more powerful it tends to be. He wanted Luffy's strength to generally rely on his(the author) own imagination. It was creative and fun, and has little bearing on the shows storytelling on it's own.
Luffy is on a quest to become King of the Pirates. As the show has gone on, that has never changed. From episode 1 ALL THE WAY today, 4Kid's Dub or Original Japanese, each episode has the same narration.
"Gold Roger was Pirate King, He had a-lot-a-treasure. Go get it to become King"(Paraphrased)
This never changes.

The original Dragonball was about Goku's journey to obtain 7 Magical balls that grant any with. As the show went on, Goku's journey to become the strongest martial artist, then to save the world from a great evil. Even as the show changed, until Dragonball z it was about Goku's journey.

J.C. Staff I'm not very fond of, so the Anime adaptation might not be up to par with the LN's. But I'll ask again. Why is Touma so awesome? What makes him such a character to devote my time and energy into liking?

I might not look it, but I've seen a lot of anime. I've sat down and taken apart show after show, and seen things that do and do not work. From what I'm told, The thing that doesn't work about Index, is it's characters. And that can ruin a show really damn quick.

And no, this post was not long! I miss my graphs and lengthy analysis of what makes a character or story good and interesting.
Index currently sounds like the plot from Kingdom of Amalur. So much plot, lore, characters, and things. Yet so very very very little fucks to give, because your so disconnected from the story. Fail to engage the viewer? Well, that story doesn't mean nothing anymore!


You asked for analysis. Well I took my final exam and finished it so I had time to write this. I have another one tomorrow, but I wanted to write this first so I actually gave a proper analysis like you asked for. I was literally just repeating myself beforehand. This time I'm not doing that so please read everything I said.

By the way, before I start I want to make one thing clear. It is the characters that make me love this show. They are all extremely strong and well-thought out. I have never seen any other show with a character cast that was even half of what this show has. There is no comparison.

Fine, let me give you a real analysis.

Furthermore, Kamijou Touma is by far the best character in Index. The other main character is the best character in Index. The reason people say to watch Railgun and Index is because they don't actually like the series, they only like Misaka Mikoto. The series actually has a very good storytelling feel to it. The characters are very deep and engaging. The premise is dystopian. The world is huge. But here are some reasons you should definitely not pass on Index. Not watching Index is like watching a side-story and skipping the main story. But here is my analysis that I'll spoiler because there are too many important things in there.

Analysis:



That was a preliminary one.

Also, before I say this, I want to point out that I think there are definitely not any bad characters in Index. Every single character in this series is one of my favorite characters in fiction/anime. Anyone who watches this series and thinks otherwise either wasn't paying that much attention because they were saying "oh Touma's personality sucks" when it is actually very invigorating and unique, or it is because they don't really identify with somebody that likes saving other people without getting something in return. It isn't that weird, and that's really what the true definition of a hero should be. And heck he doesn't even consider himself a hero.

Anyone who badmouths this show wasn't watching it closely at all. I love every episode, especially knowing all of the foreshadowing happening all of the time. You say there is a lot of myth and lore, but you are not emotionally invested. I'm sorry, but I disagree. Like I said, the show makes me cry, it is very emotional all of the damn fricking time. From the very first arc it was already emotional if you understood the full premise of what was happening. The next arc is much more emotional and it is a rollercoaster ride from then on. The series was made to be very interesting, but to also have really deep characters who change a lot over the course of the series.

Saying Touma and the other character aren't worth it is literally just insulting. That just means these people didn't see the show or they already had bad perceptions going into it. They are definitely not written badly. THE ONLY THING YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE ABOUT THEM is that you might not understand why they act the way they do. I mean, you'll be shown very emotionally why they choose to do what they choose to do, but you may not believe in someone like Touma Kamijou. However, his personality is amazing just because it is so unique. In my opinion, it makes Luffy/ Naruto/Goku look bland, and they were some of my favorite characters once upon a time. I wouldn't dare compare any of them to the complicated, endearing cast of To aru Majutsu no Index.

On Index forums in another site I go to, it is a common complaint people have that in the US people prefer Railgun and don't even watch Index or read the novels, and this is why they might like much more shallow but well-marketed characters like Mikoto Misaka than the truly deep characters like Kamijou Touma and " " and " " who appear fully in the light novels, but also in the anime. People like Railgun S because they say the characters that were bland in Index were done much better there, but even if they were done somewhat better there, it's because they had so much more room for exposition and because that was the fourth season of the show that was adapted. It was their fourth and final try and they already had a good idea of how the city looked, so it was much easier to get it right. Index is amazing as an anime, but moreso as a novel series. The novels are so good I feel like I'm literally watching anime when I'm reading them. Railgun is much more shallow, and I'm saying this having seen both and enjoying both of them. Index and Railgun still have more future season that are coming out. The Index light novel series gets amazing next season. and Railgun got amazing this past season, so people have been saying that. But in the end, all of the railgun characters are just characters from Index that the same author wrote, and by chance the animation staff managed to do it better. That's all. I really liked Index seasons 1 and 2. And yes, maybe I appreciate it more because of the references to stuff in the better written novels that I've read, but it is still really good. You just can't understand until you see both of them together. That's just how it works. Though I can give you more analysis, and here it is:



Also, what you're doing is basically saying you want to watch Naruto, but since you don't like Naruto, you just decide to watch Rock Lee's chibi-spin-off. That's what happens when you watch a series only for happy fan-servicey sort of things rather than main plot. Railgun S which is the season most people like a lot out of the animated To aru series so far is just like what the material for Index III is going to be, and it's not as good. So I know that the people who say they love railgun, would love Index III for similar reasons. If you ignore the plot of a series with an amazing plot, then it's not going to be as good. That's all I can say. Index has one of the best written plots I have ever seen. It is really good. It's not just epic fighting, but an emotionally touching story, and you always have no clue what's going to happen next and it's really exciting. The characters are very interesting and unique, and they make everything more likeable and have its own feel to it. A lot of people don't like Kamijou Touma because they think people are evil or stupid and he doesn't. He tends to think people have reasons for acting the way that they do and he thinks that people are actually kind in their hearts and not evil. He isn't afraid of running away from fights (i.e. he won't fight unnecessarily which is a really cool aspect of a shonen protagonist) and he doesn't even know any of the girls like him. He thinks they're trying to kill him and it's hilarious. This isn't really a harem anime even though he has a lot of girls who at least have a crush on him because he saved their lives in really emotionally charged arcs.

Touma's power is one of the best powers in fiction for the following reasons. The reason I wasn't telling you anything before was simply that I couldn't tell you anything without spoiling a lot. Because that is how this series is. It builds up on things. So I'l give you a few spoilers on Touma's special power and to why it is extremely interesting. I won't spoil too much, but here are some very interesting facts about his right arm.



A better aspect of this series is that villains can change and become heroes eventually. People are never one-dimensional or simple. They always have very complicated character motivations detailing what they are doing, and the best thing about this series is that people always have a reason for doing something and the characters in this series believe that. In other series you see people just being evil or doing some random thing all of a sudden, but in this series you always have people doing something that makes sense. Why did he do X oh because he was thinking either A, B, or C. This series is really nice because it examines a lot of interesting moral questions through the use of science fiction and magic.

Is good luck actually a good thing, or can you feel really guilty about it if you have too much of it?

Does justice really exist, and can it be manipulated in people?

Should beings that aren't human be protected and treated respectfully or should they be experimented on?

Are people good or evil inside, and are they shallow or complicated?

Can people change or atone for their evil deeds of the past?

Is it right to sacrifice yourself to make the rest of the world happy? Should you be obligated to do this?

What is humanity and how much of it is just advanced science in our brains talking?

What does it mean to be a hero?

What does it mean to be a first-class villain?

What is life like in a true Dystopia?

There's a lot more where that came from and it's all really interesting.



To be frank: Mikoto Misaka is a great character, Kamijou Touma is better. You can have your opinions on it, but I think it is ridiculous for anyone not to think he has an amazing character. Maybe you don't like his personality, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't love his character. It is extremely well-done and fascinating. You just have to think about it. This show is like Neon Genesis Evangelion. There are a lot of questions you have while seeing/reading it. Then you have to piece things together. It's like a giant puzzle which does have a complicated answer.

I really disagree with anyone that told you this show sucks and said to just go and watch Railgun. These are the people that avid fans of the series are annoyed at. It's the reason this series hasn't been getting nearly enough exposure in the US. Yes, Railgun is good. Yes, season 2 is slightly better than the Index anime so far. So what. They're made by the same author. The Index anime has a really good storyline. The Index anime has a really interesting plot and set of characters. I said it gets really amazing by episode 15 for a reason. The storyline completely changes and gets very emotional as you go along it.

It really pisses me off to hear you say that you're going to disregard what I'm saying just because you heard otherwise. Yes, I understand not everyone has the same opinion about these things, but it isn't like I don't think deeply about what I watch or anything. I watch intellectual, engaging, interesting anime. This is my favorite one because it's really creative and has a lot of wonderful characters and an even better premise. I'm never bored.

It isn't bad. I don't know how you could watch it and think it's bad. If you watch more of season one you will love it period. Please just give it a try. If you like it, then you have more enjoyment than all of Detective Conan. The benefits outweigh the time you might lose while watching it.

IF YOU READ ONE THING I SAID READ THIS (but please read everything else as well):

If you do end up liking this series, then you'll be enjoying a series full of amazing stuff longer than Detective Conan, but with no fillers at all.

If you don't end up liking this series, which I find to be extremely unlikely once you see it, then you'll have only lost a little time because you have an entire life to watch these things and enjoy the anime you like. You'll always be able to go back to them because you know what they are. You'll just forget about the things you don't enjoy, and this is why I'm telling you to please try this anime out. You have everything to lose and nothing to gain except brief satisfaction if you don't watch it, but if you do watch it you could be really happy all of the time watching something super long. The rational choice is to hope it's good and to watch it. I'm telling you it is and I don't care what anyone else says. They can think the best character I have read sucks, but that's only because they might not like his personality, and because they don't like complicated people, they only like people that do things because they feel like it 100% of the time without thinking about moral consequences. That got boring to me eventually. I can't stand it anymore. I watch it for fun, but when I want to watch a masterpiece I watch this series about an idealist who tries to protect the people around him, and other people fighting to regain the dear things that they have lost in a bitter struggle to find a place in the world and people that will acknowledge them and see them as more than just tools.

And because I can't stand it anymore I have to also tell you another reason why the series is amazing. The characters. The big 4.




I don't think I've said this before, but I'll say this to clarify and make the most important point clear.

KAMACHI KAZUMA, the author of INDEX/RAILGUN writes plot based on his character's personalities/emotions. He doesn't write his story based on some plot, but rather how his characters would act in X situation or in Y event. The personalities shape everything that happens, that is the one thing he is good at, and when I say plot, I'm talking about a plot built on this fact. The plot is built on how his characters act and think. This is why I love this show. He has such a deep and amazing understand of his characters, it is marvelous. The characters are so deep that they make my heard hurt sometimes.

THAT IS WHY I LOVE THE SHOW. The STORY IS CHARACTER-DRIVEN. This is what I love about it. Yes, there is an overarching plot, but it progresses while making the characters shine. That's why I showed you a huge list of 100 + characters. NONE OF THEM ARE SIDE-CHARACTERS. They are all recurring and are some of the best characters I have ever seen in any show, series, fictional universe, whatever. They're amazing. For the Big 4 there is so much exposition by now that they almost feel like real people, like I could have a normal conversation with them and I'd know exactly what they'd say to every question I'd ask them. That's how realistic they feel to the reader/viewer. That's amazing. In this series with ridiculously powerful characters, fights are not won by brute force. They are always won with intelligence and skill. People who are much weaker can win if they come up with a brilliant strategy, and I'd say this is the biggest difference in terms of battles that this has with other shonen series. I find the powers here much more interesting, and creative, and consistent. There are no sudden asspulls of things that are going to happen. If anything is going to happen in the books, it is foreshadowed at least 3 books ahead of time. That means that in the anime it'll have been foreshadowed around at least 12 episodes beforehand multiple times in clever ways. I like this because in Shonen series characters just randomly get stronger. That doesn't happen in this series. It's all planed out and foreshadowed. You just don't see it coming until you're watching it the second time which is what makes it so awesome.

Please, just believe what I'm saying, there are a lot of people in Japan who love this series and who only love it because of the characters. I am one of them. And please do not call Touma Kamijou bland. He is the most interesting fictional character I have seen, so is Accelerator.

A character who runs away when he doesn't need to fight because he doesn't want to have pointless violence. A character who can defeat very powerful people, but lose to normal thugs. A character who has a weak but extremely creative power, because how it is used changes drastically as he fights different people. A character who has his luck negated for some very hilarious and sometimes serious gags/developments. A character who has saved many other people, but who thinks anyone else would do the same thing if they were in his position and he still considers himself to be a normal high school boy. That's the sort of character that I can relate to and love. He is believable, interesting, and considerate. However, he values other people's lives more than their feelings. This is the sort of person that I think is a great and believable character. He fights with all of his heart to protect his friends and to preserve his every-day life where he can be happy with his friends. He doesn't want more and he is content with what he has now, but when he has a goal he will do everything he can to save the day and keep his promises to other people, no matter the toll on his body, and the suffering he has to go through. Kamijou Touma, an infinitely interesting character is not a bad character, and is definitely my favorite character of all time. And more importantly, the big factor that makes him better to me than any shonen manga protagonist is that unlike any of them, he doesn't think people are evil. He thinks that there are reasons for why they've become who they've become, and over the course of the series he learns that there are different types of heroes, different types of justice than just his own and that they may all be equally right. THOUGH THE ONE most important aspect of Touma's personality is this. He doesn't fight to save the human race. He doesn't fight for an ideal. He fights to save the person in front of him that he reached out to. He doesn't care about some huge grand ideal like humanity. He cares about people suffering in front of him. He won't ignore individuals for some grand ideal that ignores the people that are hurt in front of him, and this one aspect of him is what really makes him believable as a hero character. He cares about the individual, to the point where he is pretty much real.


I hope that this time you can tell that I like the show and have good reason to like it. I thought about it and gave some actual analysis even when I'm pressured for time, because this is important for other people to know in my eyes.
22406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 3/19/14 , edited 3/19/14

dniv wrote:


In many Shonen manga, they just have a life goal, and this goal is seen as an amazing thing, and the story shows how this endeavor/pursuit is something that should be appreciated



So you know, I will quote and respond to this in parts. As I'm rather tiered, and I love discussion in general. I however do ask you put the lengthy quotes within additional spoilers, as that saves space. You don't have to, I just think it looks nice myself. I'm a little O.C.D about it.

I don't believe you've given much thought to Shounen protagonists. I'll argue with Luffy, altho Goku is nice and fun I'll have to put different arguments for Z and Dragonball.


Touma sounds similar to Bleach's Ichigo. A character who is thrust into a role/quest from outside forces, and just kinda wings it from there on in. This is not a bad way to start a story however, many a show has done this. Fate/Stay Night, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Mobile Suit Gundam all do the same thing.

Gundam specifically, one hell of a "Thrust into the role/Gundam" plot. The primary theme being "War sucks, everybody dies", the emotional burden given to Protagonist Amuro Ray is a focal point of the show. On one hand, he, his friends and family are being hunted down by an opposing Government/Military. On the other, the opposing military is made up of regular people who simply belong to another country/government. If he wasn't a civilian who lived on a military base(Living with a dad who works in the military tends to put you there), the events of the show would never have happened. Many of the episodes focused upon showcasing how human each side was. After helping relocate a bunch of refuges, our Heroes run back into hiding. Just as they get to cover, they notice the opposing forces heading towards the recently relocated refuges.
Thinking they intended to kill/hurt the refuges, our heroes rush back to the scene. Only to catch the opposing forces delivering food to the refugees, as they felt bad for them and had supplies to share.
Unfortunately, rushing back had them get caught, and they had to shoot down the helpful men who delivered food, or be shot down themselves.
This all takes it's emotional toll upon our Protagonist Amuro, who eventually runs away from he military in a fit of wangst. Leading to the famous "Bright Slap"

I like thinking about characters like this...ok? Typing is actually something I really enjoy doing, and having these arguments inspire me to watch things. But don't tell anybody that.

I will read the rest, and more than likely comment on it, at a later time. I'm going to watch Scrapped Princess. I bought the first 20 Episodes at a Movies Trading Co. on sale for 20 Bucks a few months back, but I only got a single disk into it. I need to finish it.

Jeez, now MY post is too too long.
24760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/19/14

Felstalker wrote:

Luffy is a childish character. His primary characteristics are self centered and a bit greedy. Luffy wants gold, fame, and food. That's why he became a pirate. He really dislikes being a hero, as heroes tend to put others before themselves. The Marines, primary/secondary/??? Villain/Antagonists of One Piece, are depicted as both a proper upstanding and a corrupt Military Government. Luffy has problems with the former. Entirely emotionally driven, Luffy does what he wants to do, and disregards what he doesn't. From protecting his friends to taking someones things, morals are specifically ignored here. A primary theme of the show is taking your life in your own hands, and doing what you want with it. Very shounen and very classic.
HunterxHunter's Gon is rather similar, altho Gon is both younger, and was written as a bit more destructive character. Gon will actively hurt those who anger him, which is rather uncommon in younger protagonists. Otherwise, very much a wide-eyed child character, on a journey to see the Father he never met.


Also consider that Luffy was raised around pirates since he was a kid. Although Monkey D. Garp took care of him from time to time, he spent much of his childhood getting in to trouble with his brothers Ace and Sabo and grew up to admire Shanks (especially after Shanks sacrificed his arm to save his life). The constant exposure to pirates who treated him like one of their own (and the potential "big brother/father figure" Shanks) makes it obvious as to why to be a pirate instead of become either a Marine or just stay an ordinary guy.


Gundam specifically, one hell of a "Thrust into the role/Gundam" plot. The primary theme being "War sucks, everybody dies", the emotional burden given to Protagonist Amuro Ray is a focal point of the show. On one hand, he, his friends and family are being hunted down by an opposing Government/Military. On the other, the opposing military is made up of regular people who simply belong to another country/government. If he wasn't a civilian who lived on a military base(Living with a dad who works in the military tends to put you there), the events of the show would never have happened. Many of the episodes focused upon showcasing how human each side was. After helping relocate a bunch of refuges, our Heroes run back into hiding. Just as they get to cover, they notice the opposing forces heading towards the recently relocated refuges.
Thinking they intended to kill/hurt the refuges, our heroes rush back to the scene. Only to catch the opposing forces delivering food to the refugees, as they felt bad for them and had supplies to share.
Unfortunately, rushing back had them get caught, and they had to shoot down the helpful men who delivered food, or be shot down themselves.
This all takes it's emotional toll upon our Protagonist Amuro, who eventually runs away from he military in a fit of wangst. Leading to the famous "Bright Slap"


I give this a fair analysis; though, if you didn't know:



However, consider that Amuro was social shut-in (or NEET, if you will) who would likely have been labeled as Autistic, and the ONLY reason he got into the Gundam in the first place was to save his friend Frau Bow from being killed along with her mother and grandfather (who were just killed after Amuro and Frau left the underground shelter in the first episode). Fight-or-Flight Response drove him into the Gundam, and then to the White Base, and then to Earth/Odessa/Dublin/Jaburo/Solomon/A Boa Qu. Amuro experiences in ONE YEAR what most people take years, if not decades, to experience. It's no wonder he has his wangsty moments (he's 16 and piloting the most advanced weapon the Earth Federation has and he's NOT a soldier--what would you expect?!) He endures moments that would break most people (his mother disowns him and his father becomes a certifiably-insane drifter; ALL of his love interests (except Sayla) die sacrificing themselves to either save him or stop him) and yet he presses on. It's only when Ghiren Zabi gives his infamous speech at Garma's funeral that Amuro sees the TRUE face of Zeon, the enemy that he's been running from all this time.

It's no wonder that Amuro suffers from PTSD in Zeta Gundam (while also being placed on House Arrest...after saving the entire Federation almost single-handedly seven years prior because they're afraid of his newtype powers).

Anyhow, massive props on Scrapped Princess! It's one of my biggest favorites and I'm certain you'll enjoy it. I had no expectations when I started watching it, but it really impressed me by the end.
19765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/19/14 , edited 3/19/14


Don't misunderstand. Shonen characters are some of my favorite characters. I think they are well-done, I just don't like the moral irresponsibility sometimes.

Kamijou Touma is really a mix between Ichigo and Natsu Dragneel. Though he has some very different character aspects. I basically listed all of them near the end of my massive reply to you, and you should read that when you wake up, because the good part was basically just that. Also read my description of his powers because I think you'll like that. The first thing I wrote to you wasn't from today and it was something I wrote a while ago when comparing Touma to more standard Shonen heroes. When you read the last part I said, you'll see my entire list of traits Touma has. He's very different from Ichigo and Natsu in some ways, so please read it, I gave a lot of analysis. :lol:, but thanks for reading that so far. (I'd say the big difference between Touma and others as you'll read eventually is his unique personality which I described above, and his extremely unique power (the most interesting power I've seen created by anyone which I also described above)).

Anyway, I love Naruto's character. Natsu is also very well done. Luffy I like less because he's a little too stupid for my liking. :lol:

Anyway, I think I see what you're looking for:

Kamijou Touma is a certain high school student. That's all he sees in himself. No matter how many people he saves, no matter how many great things he does, he just thinks that everyone else would have done the same thing if they were in the same place, he doesn't think he's special.

This is some background about his character (it's not spoilers. This is some information about his backstory).



There are other main characters with their own interesting and tragic backstories, but those should be a surprise for later.

Anyway, I love Kamijou Touma for those reasons and others, but he grows a lot as a character throughout the work so I can't just tell you everything now. But I ask you to think about what I just wrote, and the other things that I wrote earlier.

For now, I'm going to study for my Japanese Final Exam.

Edit:

Scrapped Princess is one of my favorite anime so I recommend you finish it and watch it all the way to the end. It's really good, and it's also of the same genre as Index (sci-fi magic) which is part of the reason I like it. :lol:
2063 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / West Virginia
Offline
Posted 3/19/14
For me, I go by the synopses, animation style, and recommendations based on previous anime I've seen
Sailor Candy Moderator
200584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/27/15
"Year-end cleanup. Closing threads with no activity since 2014."
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.