First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Should I Keep Watching [...]?
47860 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/14

AnimeKami wrote:

There is a notion that I keep behind my head.

"Only those who finish a show can complain about it."

So... I have never come across this the idea of: "dropping a show." It has always been I either watch or I do not.




There is a sense in which I agree with you. It's why I don't rate shows I haven't finished, don't tell people not to watch a show until I've gotten to the end, and never say that a dropped show is terrible (Although saying the first few episodes are terrible is probably fair game).

However, there's also a sense in which a find myself watching Naruto filler, and thinking "how many better things could I be doing right now?" I could be learning a new language, playing video games, staring at the ceiling, etc. "Dropping" a show is just an extension of that. I can't know for sure whether a show will be worth my time, but if I assume that the part of the show tells me what to expect from the whole, then I can make decisions on how to use my time. My assumptions won't always be correct though. So basically, dropping a show is just my way of saying "I've seen some of the show, and if the rest of the show is like this, then there's better ways of using my time." I look at all the things I could be doing, and if there are better things to do then watching the show, then I drop it.
____________________________________

For those of you that replied, thanks for the heads up. I'll give Hamatora another shot. As for Magical Warfare, it seems I had the right idea -- I'll stay away from it.
98384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 3/18/14
Hamatora episode 11 makes it all worth it in my eyes.
47860 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/14 , edited 3/19/14

aceplayer237 wrote:

Should I continue Acchi Kocchi? I've only watched the first episode, but it already seems boring and predictable.


Not sure what to say given your avatar. It's predictable and adorable. Since I assume you're alright with slice of life shows, whether it's boring will depend on whether you like the characters. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember really liking the interactions between the two main characters, and I think the rest of the cast got better as the show went on. With that said, if I remember correctly, it does pretty much keep with the same formula all the way through, so if you're not fond of two mains, then it might be good to drop it. I'm glad I watched it, but to be fair, you're not missing anything awesome if you drop it.

Edit: Also, if it means anything, after almost two years, I found myself singing the opening theme song last week -- weird.
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 3/18/14

aidenraine wrote:

ok, my list for this season:

Buddy Complex (7 episodes): I dropped this one because... well, it was so typical and generic that it almost hurt to watch. I really want a new Gundam, and I was hoping this would at least fill the void.

Nisekoi (5 episodes): this show started out decently enough, but by the time I got to episode 5, the magic had just worn off. I felt nothing but deja vu all over the place, and not in a good way.

Sakura Trick (2 episodes): it was cute... but it was slow and somewhat boring....

Wizard Barristers (5 episodes): I wanted to like it, but there wasn't enough action/comedy, and there was too much courtroom drama.

Chuunibyou 2 (4 episodes): I really wanted to like this one, seeing how much I loved the first season, but.. this just felt like another typical KyoAni moeblob, where the first season had an interesting story and drama.


Nisekoi I'm in the same boat. I stopped 7 episodes in, however I plan to keep watching. I just get really burnt out on "misunderstandings" over-used as a plot device.

Sakura Trick I think gets better as it goes. If it were just a yuri moe blob I might be in the same boat, but it's also pretty amusing a lot of the time as well.

Chuunibyou I'm watching for the same reason as Sakura Trick- though I'm also heavily invested with the characters at this point having loved the first season as much as I do. If you don't like kyoani moe blobs then I guess it won't be for you but it still has a lot of the same good qualities of the first season even if the drama is a bit less meaningful.
27486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 3/19/14
Must be hell for you guys, being unable to just watch a show from start to finish without needing to consult others first.
6607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/19/14
Should I continue Kyousogiga? I'm at about episode 4 and it's really hard to follow. Would it help if I go back and watch episode 0?
61488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/19/14 , edited 3/19/14

Angerudusto wrote:

Should I continue Kyousogiga? I'm at about episode 4 and it's really hard to follow. Would it help if I go back and watch episode 0?


unfortunately, Kyousougiga is a little hard to follow until the last few episodes. it's sorta episodic and focuses on fleshing out the character's stories. the last few episodes tie everything together, though. don't bother with episode 0, it's even harder to follow and isn't really necessary to understand the series.


saksiss wrote:

Must be hell for you guys, being unable to just watch a show from start to finish without needing to consult others first.


hey, if I'm not enjoying a show, I'll drop it. if I was reluctant to drop it, or if I'm curious about whether the show actually turns out to be worth slogging through the parts I don't like, then it would be nice to find out without wandering into one of the discussion threads and wind up getting spoiled about something. if you don't have anything worthwhile to say, why did you come in here? there's no need to be an ass.
47860 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/19/14 , edited 3/19/14

Angerudusto wrote:

Should I continue Kyousogiga? I'm at about episode 4 and it's really hard to follow. Would it help if I go back and watch episode 0?


Originally, Kyousougiga aired as a single episode online -- in the TV show, that's episode 0. It's essentially Kyousougiga the TV show packed into a single episode, and you don't need to watch it. Just think of it like it doesn't exist, and it will be a bit more understandable. As aidenraine pointed out, it does clear up later in the series. I might be a bit biased, because this is probably my favorite show of the year, but 6 more episodes isn't too much, and the story should start to come together pretty soon (I think episode 5, if my memory serves me). I really like the aesthetic style and overall feel of the show, so maybe I'm not the one to ask, but there's also a ton of depth to the characters, and you should start to see things fall into place pretty soon here. I'd recommend watching it, but truth be told, it's hard for me to see past my own biases -- I really, really, really like this show.


saksiss wrote:

Must be hell for you guys, being unable to just watch a show from start to finish without needing to consult others first.


Haha, yeah, that would indeed be hell. Luckily, it's only the shitty/semi-shitty ones that I consult for. Do you really watch every show from start to finish? Must be hell to have nothing better to do than watch shitty shows. Or do you claim to know which shows will be shitty before you watch them?
29327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 3/19/14

saksiss wrote:

Must be hell for you guys, being unable to just watch a show from start to finish without needing to consult others first.


Not everyone has a lot of time to devote to anime, so asking here seems at least informative. I know I can rely on a few people's opinions here with confidence, and if they said an anime wasn't worth the time, I'd look for another anime to watch.

With nice weather approaching, I'll be looking for those opinions very soon. Spring/summer are my least watched anime seasons mainly because I hate being indoors when it's nice out and I have free time. When I do watch, I at least want to increase my chances of seeing something I'll enjoy a lot.
37909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/19/14

Angerudusto wrote:

Should I continue Kyousogiga? I'm at about episode 4 and it's really hard to follow. Would it help if I go back and watch episode 0?

Episode 00 won't help you understand the show any better, but it is, IMHO, the single greatest episode of anime I've ever watched.

Now, with that bit of gushing out of the way, here are my thoughts about Kyousougiga. It's somewhat hard to follow all the way through, because it is not your traditional start to finish sort of anime. It's a delicately, artistically rendered piece of art. I'd say finish it, because it is great. But don't expect to fully grasp everything on your first watch. As soon as I finished it, I put it in my re-watch cue for a couple of months down the line, because I wanted to understand better.

I don't know if that helps you, but my tl;dr recommendation is to finish it. It might not be your thing, but the sheer weight of the artistry behind it merits a recommendation anyways.
11293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Wyoming
Offline
Posted 3/19/14
TBH, there are a few shows that I have kinda done the meh for the story lines. Then there are those shows that I can't get enough of. I think that shows (or series) that I go meh on I usually watch it through to completion because that way I know how the story ended and then I can actually discuss that particular show intelligently with my friends IRL that watch what I watch and here on the forums.

But, it really boils down to what your tastes are for shows that you like to watch. There are some shows that the ending don't make any sense at all and leave you . Then the shows that you are not to sure on sometimes watching the show to the end will sometimes give you that "Ah ha" moment and tie everything together and then give you a better understanding what what you watched.

But, to each their own, but even if a show that really started out slow or not what you expected it's sometimes best that you give it a few more episodes and go from there!

Cheers!
103925 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 3/19/14
If the case is to consult others on, if I should keep watching.

Would it not be better to have not watched it at all, wait, ask for a recommendation on the anime. If dropping shows is something you often do, perhaps it is best to reevaluate which shows you might like.

It seems counter-intuitive to invest in something if you were unsure of in the first place.
8121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / qtπ
Offline
Posted 3/19/14

aidenraine wrote:

Wizard Barristers (5 episodes): I wanted to like it, but there wasn't enough action/comedy, and there was too much courtroom drama.


>too much courtroom drama
>show is literally called Wizard Barristers

I laughed pretty hard at this. Not to say I disagree, as I dropped it after 1 or 2 episodes, but I just got this picture in my head of some guy saying "Yeah, I wanted to like Judge Judy, but there was too much courtroom drama and not enough car chases."

It amused me.
61488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/19/14

AnimeKami wrote:

If the case is to consult others on, if I should keep watching.

Would it not be better to have not watched it at all, wait, ask for a recommendation on the anime. If dropping shows is something you often do, perhaps it is best to reevaluate which shows you might like.

It seems counter-intuitive to invest in something if you were unsure of in the first place.


if I did this, I'd never actually watch any anime until I could get solid reviews on the series. I start watching anime because either:

1) I'm curious about the series
2) it's a sequel/second season for an anime I enjoyed
3) it sounds like something I would enjoy

sometimes, the shows I start watching either don't lick with me (wizard barristers, chuunibyou 2), or just turn out to be downright horrible (mahou sensou, buddy complex) so I drop them.
61488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/19/14

kdroberts wrote:


aidenraine wrote:

Wizard Barristers (5 episodes): I wanted to like it, but there wasn't enough action/comedy, and there was too much courtroom drama.


>too much courtroom drama
>show is literally called Wizard Barristers

I laughed pretty hard at this. Not to say I disagree, as I dropped it after 1 or 2 episodes, but I just got this picture in my head of some guy saying "Yeah, I wanted to like Judge Judy, but there was too much courtroom drama and not enough car chases."

It amused me.


I love Phoenix Wright. I hate Law & Order. just because something's based around the justice system doesn't mean I'm going to immediately disregard it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.