First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Should I Keep Watching [...]?
47864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/19/14 , edited 3/19/14

AnimeKami wrote:

If the case is to consult others on, if I should keep watching.

Would it not be better to have not watched it at all, wait, ask for a recommendation on the anime. If dropping shows is something you often do, perhaps it is best to reevaluate which shows you might like.

It seems counter-intuitive to invest in something if you were unsure of in the first place.


I might be wrong about what you mean by "invest," but I'd argue the exact opposite. In fact, every anime, book, relationship, and career is an investment in something we are unsure of. SCIENCE ITSELF is an investment in things we are unsure of. Assurance of success alone actually seems like a pretty foolish way to decide on how to act, given the extremely small number of things that we are sure of.

Although I'm not entirely opposed I'd also disagree on waiting for recommendations. Watching a bit of the show, more often than not, gives you a pretty good idea for what to expect from it. I will admit that recommendations also do a pretty good job as well if you have enough variety and detail with them. However, it's often hard to tell just what shows you will like from recommendations -- it's often hard to explain what it is you like about shows, and even harder to tell someone what they might like about the show. Watching a show in its entirety is incredibly more effective than asking other people, but it's also incredibly more inefficient.

Given an infinite amount of time, the best course of action is to watch all anime all the way through -- this gives you the most accurate judgments possible. However, time is quite finite, and there is often much less of it than is required for filling all desires. Thus, I'd say that the best option is to to watch a few episodes. From this, you can get a pretty good idea of a show's potential. If a show is not to your liking, then there's no reason to watch it. However, you might also be wrong. If someone can explain whether the episodes you saw were indicative of the series as a whole, then you can come to a fairly accurate judgment in a fairly short amount of time. I'll put it this way:

If time is not important to you, then don't ask anyone else about the show at all -- watch everything. If accuracy is not important to you, then only watch what people tell you to watch. If you want to look for a balance between time and accuracy, watch a bit of it. If you like it, continue. If you don't, then just verify that what you've seen is pretty much what there is to see. It's not as accurate, but it gives you a bit of information to fit into the picture you already have. If you just wait for recommendations, then you have no picture to begin with. You will need to build your picture of the show from other's observations.
104095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 3/19/14

aidenraine wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

If the case is to consult others on, if I should keep watching.

Would it not be better to have not watched it at all, wait, ask for a recommendation on the anime. If dropping shows is something you often do, perhaps it is best to reevaluate which shows you might like.

It seems counter-intuitive to invest in something if you were unsure of in the first place.


if I did this, I'd never actually watch any anime until I could get solid reviews on the series. I start watching anime because either:

1) I'm curious about the series
2) it's a sequel/second season for an anime I enjoyed
3) it sounds like something I would enjoy

sometimes, the shows I start watching either don't lick with me (wizard barristers, chuunibyou 2), or just turn out to be downright horrible (mahou sensou, buddy complex) so I drop them.


I suppose.
63290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 3/19/14

Angerudusto wrote:

Should I continue Kyousogiga? I'm at about episode 4 and it's really hard to follow. Would it help if I go back and watch episode 0?


You should've watched episode 0 first. Then as you watch every other episode, you will get that lightbulb epiphany moment of "ohhhhh...OHHHHH holy sh!t it all makes sense now!"

Then again, there were some changes from episode 0 to the rest of the anime (those changes were minor but necessary).
42866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 3/19/14 , edited 3/19/14
This has been a pretty lousy season for me--I think I've probably dropped more series this season than any before. That list includes:

Wake Up, Girls! (Couldn't even finish ep 2)
Wizard Barristers (Great idea, terrible writing--dropped at ep 3)
Sakura Trick (Uninspired storyline that quickly became boring--dropped after ep 3)
Magical Warfare (Decent idea but poor writing, worse execution, and cardboard cut-out characters--couldn't finish ep 4)
Nobunaga the Fool (Was like drinking sour milk--their reinterpretation of historical figures was too, well, demeaning. Dropped at ep 4)
Nobunagun (Might try to pick this one back up, as it isn't actually bad--just incredibly predictable. Paused at ep 8)

On the plus side, one show managed to save itself--Recently, My Sister is Unusual. I had given up on the show by ep 3, but then it suddenly improved. I always felt that it would have made a better story without the ghost, focusing instead on the earnest efforts of an "instant family" trying to accommodate each member while building a whole. The ghost remains, but her role has been toned down to the point that she almost contributes to the storyline now. Good save!

Also, I don't want my saying "lousy season" to detract from some great offerings:

Robot Girls Z
World Conquest Zvezda Plot
Engaged to the Unidentified
Hozuki no Reitetsu



63290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 3/19/14

moonhawk81 wrote:

This has been a pretty lousy season for me--I think I've probably dropped more series this season than any before. That list includes:

Wake Up, Girls! (Couldn't even finish ep 2)
Wizard Barristers (Great idea, terrible writing--dropped at ep 3)
Sakura Trick (Uninspired storyline that quickly became boring--dropped after ep 3)
Magical Warfare (Decent idea but poor writing, worse execution, and cardboard cut-out characters--couldn't finish ep 4)
Nobunaga the Fool (Was like drinking sour milk--their reinterpretation of historical figures was too, well, demeaning. Dropped at ep 4)
Nobunagun (Might try to pick this one back up, as it isn't actually bad--just incredibly predictable. Paused at ep 8)

On the plus side, one show managed to save itself--Recently, My Sister is Unusual. I had given up on the show by ep 3, but then it suddenly improved. I always felt that it would have made a better story without the ghost, focusing instead on the earnest efforts of an "instant family" trying to accommodate each member while building a whole. The ghost remains, but her role has been toned down to the point that she almost contributes to the storyline now. Good save!

Also, I don't want my saying "lousy season" to detract from some great offerings:

Robot Girls Z
World Conquest Zvezda Plot
Engaged to the Unidentified
Hozuki no Reitetsu





Wake Up Girls gets...the girls are likable and the plot is more serious than your usual idol anime offering but the rest of the support cast suck @ss
Wizard Barristers...its ok but at times I feel like the director is a fan of Michael Bay and has to shove in an explosion scene somehow
Sakura Trick...no comment, haven't watched it
Magical Warfare...does not get any better
Nobunaga the Fool...I personally don't like the show because I don't like any of the main cast, some good mech designs though (mostly the enemy mech designs)
Nobunagun...first 2 episodes were the best, then it just became "meh"
Recently My Sister is Unusual...its good but I feel like each show is too separate (like unrelated filler episodes) though they try to push the main plot (see my previous post about Hamatora suffering from the same thing)


104095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 3/19/14

Rito2Ru wrote:

Magical Warfare...does not get any better



yes it does.

you get a better and better reason to drop it.
63290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 3/19/14

AnimeKami wrote:


Rito2Ru wrote:

Magical Warfare...does not get any better



yes it does.

you get a better and better reason to drop it.


You almost got me there with the first line
27498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 3/19/14 , edited 3/19/14


Nope, I've got a permanent part-time job, also volunteering once a week, but that's more on the fun side so it's like spending time with friends for 5 hours. So every second I devote to anime, which is a LOT, is justified. As for each individual show, I don't believe any of them to be shitty, well except for Hunter x Hunter. Even if other people would not touch a certain anime with a ten foot pole, I'd just watch it any way because I hate leaving anything in life unfinished.
98 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/19/14
Should I keep watching Black Butler? Watched the first three episodes awhile back. Is there a story coming or just more random episodes with recurring characters? I'm not really into the latter.
47864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/14

saksiss wrote:



Nope, I've got a permanent part-time job, also volunteering once a week, but that's more on the fun side so it's like spending time with friends for 5 hours. So every second I devote to anime, which is a LOT, is justified. As for each individual show, I don't believe any of them to be shitty, well except for Hunter x Hunter. Even if other people would not touch a certain anime with a ten foot pole, I'd just watch it any way because I hate leaving anything in life unfinished.


Oh? This might actually turn out to be an interesting conversation. I hadn't considered that you might think that no anime is unenjoyable. You just don't have any aesthetic preferences, or are you convinced that all anime is a better use of your time than playing a video game, or learning another language, or studying quantum mechanics, or writing a book, or whatever? There exists no activity that could possibly be better than the very worst of shows? What is it that you see in anime, that it makes any show the best possible use of your time? Do you actually believe that the best possible version of yourself is the one that's watching every show? I mean, you say you hate leaving anything unfinished, but is your knowledge of physics finished? Have you determined the nature of reality? Have you finished your life yet? Completing something because it's not complete seems like a pretty poor way to act. Why not just decide what you should do based on which result is preferred?

I'm also not quite sure how a part-time job and volunteer work justifies the rest of your time. You could have instead said, "I have a part-time job and volunteer once a week, so every second I devote to killing babies, which is a lot, is justified." Alternatively, you could have also said, "I established world peace, solved world hunger, and cured cancer, so every second that I watch anime is justified" -- I'm still not convinced. Because once you're done curing cancer, there are a number of different things you could do with your time. To say that one alternative is justified over another is to say that, in some sense, it is better than the given alternative.

Do you disagree, or do you think that watching, say, any Hentai anime, is the best possible alternative? I'm not quite sure what a job and volunteer work has to do with anime. How you spend time when you're not doing something doesn't justify doing that thing. What you're doing is only justified by what you could be doing instead of that thing. It's only justified if it's the best possible thing you could be doing, which means that if you want to be sure that the thing is justified, you need to show that it's the best alternative. If you believe otherwise, I'll need an explanation to understand.
27498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14


After reading your reply, I noticed that I should have clarified certain parts of my previous comment. But first.

As I'm sure you're aware, each person has something that they care about more than anything else in this world, that's common knowledge. Some may care about certain things more than others do. That's fine, that's personal preference. As for me, I care about anime more than ANYTHING else in this world. This is clear to me and 100% absolute. I can't explain exactly WHY I worship anime over everything else, it's just something I know. Some may condemn me for putting anime above say, the welfare of my fellow human beings but I'm not really concerned about others judging me for that as I'm being true to myself. So long as I'm earning money for anime, I couldn't care less about perfecting myself in other ways. Some people live their lives and try to figure out what the meaning of life is, I've found MY answer: We live.. to die. Death is our destiny. So I'm not interested in prolonging anyone's life, including my own and while EVERYBODY fears death, I fear having my life extended more and more. This is my philosophy regardless of whether anybody agrees or not.

Now, we all know that everybody needs a break every now and again, so this is where my aforementioned job and other activities come in. Also at the beginning of this comment I stated that I should have clarified on certain things, this is part of it. My other activities don't include killing babies, sorry, just smaller things that I enjoy doing. (going for walks, photography, drawing, mowing the lawn and keeping the property clean and other things too) So because I do my part and bring in an income by working (which in turn, helps the employer), I find that my other activities are justified BECAUSE I've done my part for them and for myself.

So as for how you're unsure what working and volunteering has to do with watching anime, it's summed up like so:
I work and earn money, as well as donating some of my free time volunteering, so once I'm done with both, I have nobody on my case for watching loads of anime, because they KNOW I've made my contribution to the world.

So yeah.. to me, everything I'm doing is justified because in my eyes, they ARE the best things I could be doing, and that's all that matters.

Anyway I hope I was clear enough, if I failed to address anything, let me know.
47864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/14

saksiss wrote:



After reading your reply, I noticed that I should have clarified certain parts of my previous comment. But first.

As I'm sure you're aware, each person has something that they care about more than anything else in this world, that's common knowledge. Some may care about certain things more than others do. That's fine, that's personal preference. As for me, I care about anime more than ANYTHING else in this world. This is clear to me and 100% absolute. I can't explain exactly WHY I worship anime over everything else, it's just something I know. Some may condemn me for putting anime above say, the welfare of my fellow human beings but I'm not really concerned about others judging me for that as I'm being true to myself. So long as I'm earning money for anime, I couldn't care less about perfecting myself in other ways. Some people live their lives and try to figure out what the meaning of life is, I've found MY answer: We live.. to die. Death is our destiny. So I'm not interested in prolonging anyone's life, including my own and while EVERYBODY fears death, I fear having my life extended more and more. This is my philosophy regardless of whether anybody agrees or not.

Now, we all know that everybody needs a break every now and again, so this is where my aforementioned job and other activities come in. Also at the beginning of this comment I stated that I should have clarified on certain things, this is part of it. My other activities don't include killing babies, sorry, just smaller things that I enjoy doing. (going for walks, photography, drawing, mowing the lawn and keeping the property clean and other things too) So because I do my part and bring in an income by working (which in turn, helps the employer), I find that my other activities are justified BECAUSE I've done my part for them and for myself.

So as for how you're unsure what working and volunteering has to do with watching anime, it's summed up like so:
I work and earn money, as well as donating some of my free time volunteering, so once I'm done with both, I have nobody on my case for watching loads of anime, because they KNOW I've made my contribution to the world.

So yeah.. to me, everything I'm doing is justified because in my eyes, they ARE the best things I could be doing, and that's all that matters.

Anyway I hope I was clear enough, if I failed to address anything, let me know.



Exactly the answer I was hoping for. For the most part, I'm in agreement. In fact, my opinions are so close to yours it's almost scary. I'll give my ideas a little later, but for now, I'll ask you one thing. Your position actually runs into much the same problems as mine. Basically, it boils down to this: You've said that you don't worry about others because you're being true to yourself. Are you convinced that "yourself" is somebody that's justified in existing? That is, if "anime above all" turns out, somehow, to be unjustified, and that is who you are, do you voluntarily cease your existence? Do you try to change who you are? How do you decide whether "being true to yourself" is even the best course of action for your well-being?

I make my decisions based on one principle: "do not be someone that I dislike." It's different, but it runs into the same problem -- what if the person that I like is, in itself, wrong? And further, how do I decide whether the principle itself is sound? Would I be okay with using that principle if I liked serial killers? For now I say: yeah, no problem, I'll just go murder people if that becomes the case. But really, I'm still working on it. For you, breaking down all distractions and purifying your choices down to a single principle (I guess I'll just call it the "principle of anime") is completely fine with me, and further, I couldn't be happier with it. It tends to minimize bullshit. I'd question whether or not you actually can justify the principle, and whether or not it's something you can maintain. However, if you can actually live by it, it's probably as close to perfect morality as humans can get. I mean this with zero sarcasm: you've got a really good position.
27498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 3/20/14


Well in my honest opinion, I am truly convinced that the person I am IS in fact justified in existing because I'm being 100% true to myself about who I am, inside and out. I can look in the mirror and see myself, not someone who lies to them self to feel better.

If SOMEHOW my views/beliefs turned out to be unjustified as you say, then unfortunately I'd be forced to re-evaluate everything I know and find another path. Again, that'd be very unfortunate, but it'd be inevitable. I couldn't necessarily cease my existence because in my vocabulary, that would mean suicide. Only way I'm going out is by natural selection, but you know, live fast die young, but yeah.

Most people would think that you couldn't live worshiping anime on this level for a lifestyle, but it's served me well over the past 15 or so years, so it's very promising!
47864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14

saksiss wrote:



Well in my honest opinion, I am truly convinced that the person I am IS in fact justified in existing because I'm being 100% true to myself about who I am, inside and out. I can look in the mirror and see myself, not someone who lies to them self to feel better.

If SOMEHOW my views/beliefs turned out to be unjustified as you say, then unfortunately I'd be forced to re-evaluate everything I know and find another path. Again, that'd be very unfortunate, but it'd be inevitable. I couldn't necessarily cease my existence because in my vocabulary, that would mean suicide. Only way I'm going out is by natural selection, but you know, live fast die young, but yeah.

Most people would think that you couldn't live worshiping anime on this level for a lifestyle, but it's served me well over the past 15 or so years, so it's very promising!


And you were doing so well too... Let me put it this way: You can be 100% true to yourself, but if who "you" are isn't the best possible "you" available, then aren't you being true to the wrong ideas? In order for "being true to yourself" to be the best course of action, who you are needs to be the best possible person. In essence, I've asked you why you're a person worth "being true to," and you've responded that it's because you're true to yourself. You're sort of arguing in circles here (although I'm willing to admit that perhaps my questions weren't all that clear). Plus, is there something inherently wrong with being someone else? If so, then I'd ask why your ideals are preferred to theirs. If not, then I'd ask why you pick yourself over them. Further, what if "who you are" is someone you dislike? I would claim that changing who you are is more justified in this case than being true to who you are. In the first place, being true to who you are requires that you know who you are at any given moment, and further, it requires that who you are is preferred to the alternatives. Why do you prefer "you" over what you could be?

Edit: Right, so we're pretty far off topic right now. We should probably try to close things out pretty soon here.
27498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14


This is honestly making my head spin. It's 1am and I've already forgotten how we even got to this point. How about we just leave it at, I'm satisfied with how I live and also that I love anime more than anything?
P.S.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.