WEEKEND TICKETS GOING FAST!

PRICES GO UP AT THE GATE

PURCHASE TICKET
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Should I Keep Watching [...]?
48108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/14

saksiss wrote:



This is honestly making my head spin. It's 1am and I've already forgotten how we even got to this point. How about we just leave it at, I'm satisfied with how I live and also that I love anime more than anything?
P.S.


Yep, sounds good, this isn't even close to relevant to the topic anymore.
39936 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 3/20/14

saksiss wrote:
As for each individual show, I don't believe any of them to be shitty, well except for Hunter x Hunter.

Wut.
18059 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/14
Should I keep watching WItch Craft Works? I went into it thinking it'd be similar to Devil is a Part-Timer, but one episode in it doesn't seem that great. I'd rather pick up Durarara instead from all the great things I've heard about that anime.
27290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14
Should I keep watching Speed Grapher?

Ive tried to watch it twice but only got to episode 3 and 4 before dropping it.... Is it worth seeing through to the end, should I give it another watch?
19765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/14

theYchromosome wrote:


Exactly the answer I was hoping for. For the most part, I'm in agreement. In fact, my opinions are so close to yours it's almost scary. I'll give my ideas a little later, but for now, I'll ask you one thing. Your position actually runs into much the same problems as mine. Basically, it boils down to this: You've said that you don't worry about others because you're being true to yourself. Are you convinced that "yourself" is somebody that's justified in existing? That is, if "anime above all" turns out, somehow, to be unjustified, and that is who you are, do you voluntarily cease your existence? Do you try to change who you are? How do you decide whether "being true to yourself" is even the best course of action for your well-being?

I make my decisions based on one principle: "do not be someone that I dislike." It's different, but it runs into the same problem -- what if the person that I like is, in itself, wrong? And further, how do I decide whether the principle itself is sound? Would I be okay with using that principle if I liked serial killers? For now I say: yeah, no problem, I'll just go murder people if that becomes the case. But really, I'm still working on it. For you, breaking down all distractions and purifying your choices down to a single principle (I guess I'll just call it the "principle of anime") is completely fine with me, and further, I couldn't be happier with it. It tends to minimize bullshit. I'd question whether or not you actually can justify the principle, and whether or not it's something you can maintain. However, if you can actually live by it, it's probably as close to perfect morality as humans can get. I mean this with zero sarcasm: you've got a really good position.


So I want to bring up a few things:

1. You should look into Nihilism/Anti-nihilism. In my opinion, the second one is a more realistic viewpoint of reality.

Anyway, you should choose for yourself what you want to do and why you do what you want to do. For this reason, when I watch long shows like Detective Conan and Naruto, I like the filler, but then I begin to ask myself if it is worth it.

The main plot is extremely enjoyable, but there tends to be a lot of filler in these shows. In thinking about the filler, I watch anime because it's a tool to interesting experiences and perceptions of the world that I wouldn't find otherwise. And anime tends to be much less reserved about the crazy ideologies people/characters/worlds have because their fanbase is more accepting of situations different from the norm. They can feature some particularly unique idea that could describe how a society might be in some metaphorical sense and explore it without people going "ok... what the hell was that..." and skipping it. (that might happen a little, but probably not as much in anime).

Creative series that explore some fascinating aspect of society and have something really meaningful to say about it move me and make me want to watch more. One aspect of "filler" in a series is meant to provide a better understanding of the characters or the world in a series that you like so that you can feel more attached to it. Most filler I have seen is sub-standard, and some of it is okay. In exceptional cases, there are some amazing filler arcs (like the newest Naruto anime arc), and some other filler arcs in other series, but they usually feel like a waste of time, especially in Detective Conan unless you're the sort of person that enjoys seeing a certain type of situation/genre play out.

For me, this is why the best sort of series I have ever seen and will probably ever find is the To aru series/raildex/A certain series/ whatever you call it. Having no fillers, this series constantly explores a lot of very interesting philosophical topics and dystopian themes to an absurd extent. The creative and absolutely amazing scenarios and ideas are myriad. That's the sort of series I like.

So when I see something with filler and I want to drop it, I eventually just make the decision that I've already gotten enough of a taste of this certain type of animation to be sure that I don't want to see it. This is because of my second point.

2. Every anime that is made is made because people think it has something to offer (well this is true in almost all cases). Anime are supposed to appeal to people, and their creators usually think that they are good, and intend them to be so. There are series I will not watch and series that I will drop eventually, but I always try to figure out what audience the series is supposed to appeal to first and what it's trying to say before I stop watching it. Even with comedic series like Nisekoi, there is a story, and you get to see characters (who the viewers are supposed to see as real people) think and act and see the interesting scenarios that occur and that don't occur because of misunderstandings between them. It's informative and interesting. This is why if I drop a series, I first make sure I try to figure out what it's trying to offer. In some cases, I don't agree with it, and this affects how careful I am in doing this, but I usually try to understand where the series is coming from because it's useful. It not only expands my understanding of reality in a way I could never get by seeing everyday things happening, but it also gives me creative ideas not just for stories, but for other things.

One example, of a skill I learned from Anime is this skill I obtained from To aru series. One of the major assumptions by the characters in the novel series is that people act rationally, but have fundamentally different assumptions/ideas/information/knowledge that leads to people disagreeing about things, doing different things, being a villain or a hero in a certain circumstance. And after seeing how characters use this idea to pinpoint what motives people have for doing something, I've gotten reasonably good at doing it in real life.

For example, when I'm seeing an anime, seeing someone doing something in real life, seeing something else happening, I've been able to overcome the bias for assuming the most simple and straightforward reason for why whoever or whatever is doing something, or why something is happening, and I've been able to reason about exactly what is going on. This is a skill I gained from anime, and it's probably one of the most important cognitive biases to be able to overcome for people, so it's interesting. It's not the only thing I've gained, but it's a good example. I.e. if I see someone doing something "stupid, and instead of assuming "oh they're stupid" like many people do, I realize that they have a good reason for doing whatever they are doing, but I just can't tell exactly why immediately. It's a useful skill, and it's helped me make more friends then I would have if I were a person who thought that people with different views than me were stupid...

3. Now about your second point. There are always subconscious assumptions that people make that they don't know about. We can't do much about that. But we can try to believe in what we believe in. People have different reasons for watching anime, and it gives them different benefits, but all that matters is ultimately how they feel about it. It's good hearing from other people because it can help you understand why you feel the way you do and maybe slightly alter it in light of the way other people feel. It can give you new ideas because more people can come up with more ideas. I think it's fine to drop a series if you watch anime purely for enjoyment and just don't want to waste time on something you find boring. That would make sense. Personally, I'm only offended when people say that a series sucks. I don't care if they don't like it, but I am annoyed if they say it is bad. This is why I feel like recommending against an anime to someone is bad unless you know how that person feels about that specific type of anime and you're sure. Haters of anime just seem to think they're terrible and people are "wrong" in liking them. I find it strange and annoying, but I might be able to see why some people could feel that way if they don't think about it like this.

I hope this helped illustrate my opinion.
39936 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 3/20/14

jojamon wrote:
Should I keep watching WItch Craft Works? I went into it thinking it'd be similar to Devil is a Part-Timer, but one episode in it doesn't seem that great. I'd rather pick up Durarara instead from all the great things I've heard about that anime.

Existential discussions going on in this thread aside, here's my thoughts on Witchcraft Works.

I personally love The Devil is a Part-Timer! and enjoy Witchcraft Works quite a lot. I think the three-episode rule will serve you well for this show. By the end of the third episode, you've pretty much seen the range of what the show has to offer both in terms of comedy (the humor is great, imo) and action/plot (action is great, plot is on and off). Overall, I think the show is worth the watch and not a waste of time, but if you aren't engaged by episode three, you probably will never be.

However, I'm currently on episode 5 of Durarara! and am intrigued (in a good way) by it, so I don't think it would be a terrible idea to switch over.

They are very different shows, though. Best case scenario would to be watch both.
48108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14

jojamon wrote:

Should I keep watching WItch Craft Works? I went into it thinking it'd be similar to Devil is a Part-Timer, but one episode in it doesn't seem that great. I'd rather pick up Durarara instead from all the great things I've heard about that anime.


Durarara!! was much more interesting to me, and I would certainly watch it again if I didn't have so much other stuff I'd like to do. Being that Durarara!! is getting a second season, and it's pretty good anyway, I'd recommend watching it at some point. Witch Craft Works, on the other hand, is pretty enjoyable, but nothing special. iblessal's advice is pretty good on this one.


Rito2Ru wrote:

All 3 shows you mentioned are great shows. On the other hand, they are vastly different in genre / how the plot and characters are handled.
Do not compare them, they're all aiming for something different. Judge them as they are, not as they are to others.


That too.
64770 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 3/20/14

OccultLimetree wrote:

Should I keep watching Speed Grapher?

Ive tried to watch it twice but only got to episode 3 and 4 before dropping it.... Is it worth seeing through to the end, should I give it another watch?


What was it about the series that made you want to watch it in the first place and why did you drop it? If I know these things I can help you decide if it will be worth your time. I've seen it all and think the subjects it deals with are more compelling than the story line itself. The story is pretty average and straight forward, however, the characters and what motivates them is interesting. It is more a character study of the seven deadly sins in man than a plot driven narrative in my view.
63294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 3/20/14

jojamon wrote:

Should I keep watching WItch Craft Works? I went into it thinking it'd be similar to Devil is a Part-Timer, but one episode in it doesn't seem that great. I'd rather pick up Durarara instead from all the great things I've heard about that anime.


All 3 shows you mentioned are great shows. On the other hand, they are vastly different in genre / how the plot and characters are handled.
Do not compare them, they're all aiming for something different. Judge them as they are, not as they are to others.
48108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/14

dniv wrote:



Let's just say that I've had this conversation a lot. That, along with the fact that it's so far off topic that I'm a little embarrassed it got as far as it did, means that I'd rather leave it be for now. Plus, I think we're in agreement, although I came to most of my conclusions through books (mostly philosophy of logic/mathematics) rather than anime. To keep it short, I'll just say two things: 1) I am far too satisfied with your conclusions to keep arguing on things I disagree with, and 2) One of my favorite pastimes is to play around with different assumptions to see where they end up -- it has little to do with what assumptions are best, but rather, with which ones are most interesting. And yeah, it's far easier to understand others when you can do that. It's kind of nice to hear that anime can do for someone what took me a few years in the university library.
18059 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/14

iblessall wrote:


Existential discussions going on in this thread aside, here's my thoughts on Witchcraft Works.

I personally love The Devil is a Part-Timer! and enjoy Witchcraft Works quite a lot. I think the three-episode rule will serve you well for this show. By the end of the third episode, you've pretty much seen the range of what the show has to offer both in terms of comedy (the humor is great, imo) and action/plot (action is great, plot is on and off). Overall, I think the show is worth the watch and not a waste of time, but if you aren't engaged by episode three, you probably will never be.

However, I'm currently on episode 5 of Durarara! and am intrigued (in a good way) by it, so I don't think it would be a terrible idea to switch over.

They are very different shows, though. Best case scenario would to be watch both.


Thank you, I guess I'll keep going for now haha.
1580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Academy City
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14
Should I keep watching Diabolik Lovers? I've watched 2 episodes so far, and I'm not really liking it.
Sailor Candy Moderator
215389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/27/15
"Year-end cleanup. Closing threads with no activity since 2014."
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.