First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Post Reply Wanting to be a race outside of your own.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 3/20/14
I want to be an elf.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 3/20/14



I just often wonder if we do become the races we always wanted to be, how would we treat the race we left behind? I see you want to be white only to fit into a white community. But would you ever want to be white only because that race is superior to all other races? Thats where I'm getting with this thread.

Now, I feel bad for not properly explaining things. Sorry.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 3/20/14

Sir_jamesalot wrote:

I want to be an elf.


Okay.
Posted 3/20/14
You sure bring some interesting Topics...
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 3/20/14

Shin-Nrl wrote:

You sure bring some interesting Topics...


Thank you.
Posted 3/20/14
No prob : )
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 3/20/14

Shin-Nrl wrote:

No prob : )



16041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / somehwere in the...
Offline
Posted 3/20/14
Honestly I don't hate my race. I like being Filipino, the only downside is when people ask if you're pinoy and if you can make that amazing chicken dish (adobo), eggrolls (lumpia), or those really good noodles (pansit) THEN IT GETS ANNOYING AS HELL. I'm 3/4 pinoy, 1/4 Mexican. I'm really not into my Mexican heritage, only because I was raised mainly on the pinoy traditions (being a catholic is traditional in both races though). What my non-pinoy friends say is that we are good cooks and we are in a sense Asian, so they get really jealous of that. That we're nice and feed people who come over to our house (although I always thought that was common courtesy). This came mainly from my Mexican and white friends. I only wish I knew how to make the amazing Mexican style beans, those are soooooooooo good!


Bonus Questions:

1. Should you be proud of your heritage?
This honestly depends on how you were raised and if you were willing to embrace it. My sister isn't really proud of being a pinoy, then again she didn't want to learn to cook all the traditional foods when my mom wanted to show her. I accepted in learning how to make those dishes because I knew someday I was going to have to do it on my own when my mom is no longer there to cook for me.

2. Is choosing a different race over your own self-racism?
Each to their own, but I really do wish people were more accepting of themselves (including their race). I run into a lot of people today who aren't happy with themselves because of their race. Why? (following are legit answers people have told me)
-because we're so poor
-we're dumb
-I want to be Asian smart!
-Mexican women are rude and stingy

3. Ever met someone who dislike/hated their own race and longing to be another race?
Everyone has something they dislike about their own race. I dislike how pinoy men get very cocky and full of themselves, but that goes along with the parents letting them get anything they want. My best friend dated a pinoy like that, they ended up ending the relationship in a violent way where I had to step in and save her. Also dislike how some pinoy women marry a white guy and they look down on other pinoys and act all high and mighty and turn their nose up on their own traditions. My boyfriend is half Mexican and half pinoy, and he doesn't like Mexican girls because where we live they are mainly going after a guy's money and except their man to pamper them with all the name-brand stuff.
*note: this is from my personal experience. I live an hour north of the Mexican border and have personally seen all of these things happen*
Posted 3/20/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:

I live in a white country, so of course i want to be white.


No you do not live in a white country. You live in Australia which has never been, nor ever will be a white country. It has always been (just like America and Canada) a multicultural country. People outside these countries (especially from certain parts of the world) love to think these countries are "white countries" - they're not. They have a thriving mixture of people. They always have, they always will. And that multiculturalism is growing, not shrinking.

Australia started off with the Aborigines whose land was stolen from them, and they were treated very badly.

America and Canada started off with the Natives (they themselves a mix of races) whose lands were also stolen from them and who were also treated very badly.

I have no idea why you, especially as an immigrant, would say Australia is a white country, and you want to look white when your country of residence is a mixture of people, and a mixture of people who all look different.




42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 3/20/14



In all honesty, I'm not proud of my heritage yet I'm not disappointed in it either. We're not perfect though I won't knock the things we are capable of. I share love and hate feelings towards my race overall. Still, I would love to be mixed though.

I don't think I ever ate Mexican beans. I had some other type of Spanish food though.
11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Online
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14
I'm honestly fine as I am (a white Englishman). I've always been white, all I've ever known is being white, and I'm perfectly happy with my life as it is. Regardless of my race, the person I am is who I am and I don't want to change that, nor do I think a race change would change much anyway. Though it kind of depends on what you're asking. Do you mean the race change would happen in a way that I have all my memories up to this day, and I'm still the same age and everything, or would I be reborn into a different family and such, because technically that's wanting to completely change as a person as well? In the end I don't mind my race. They've done some dick things in the past such as slavery and so on, but I had nothing to do with that, and none of the people I know have had anything to do with that sort of stuff. I look at the person for who they are, their race doesn't mean shit.

1. Should you be proud of your heritage?

Well it kind of helps since that's what race you're going to be for the rest of your life. It's okay to realise if your people have done some dickish shit in the past, but generalising everyone via their race and hating all of them would be stupid.

2. Is choosing a different race over your own self-racism?


Only if you were choosing whatever race over your own because you felt the one you currently are is inferior. I always took racism as being derogatory towards another race BECAUSE of their race, or claiming one race is inferior to another. Some people take it too far like 'Oh, you're choosing white chocolate over dark? Racist' I hope those people are joking.
Also, I don't think saying something like 'Asians are smart' would be racist because, again, while it's a generalisation, I'd take that as a compliment over an offence. Even England in general is usually stereotyped overseas as being a bunch of posh people with monocles, moustaches and copious amounts of tea, but I don't really care.

3. Ever met someone who dislike/hated their own race and longing to be another race?

Maybe, but if I have I never asked them, and they never told me. Though I must say I do dislike it when people act like their race is flawless. That's not true for anyone. I'm not saying you have to waltz around ranting on about how shit and depressing the past has been, just don't rub your superiority in everyone's face, infact that applies to most things. In the end, it's not the race that solely determines who you are. You're formed from your experiences and your genes, how you're raised, where you live. If you were a different race that wouldn't neccessarily guarantee a better or worse quality of life. People are treated drastically differently all over the place.
11702 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Online
Posted 3/20/14
I used to think I wanted to be white rather than asian back in elementary school due to the racists there. Now I don't really care and tend to forget that I even have a race.

Cultural heritage>gene heritage imo
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 3/20/14



I mainly meant people who are racist towards their race due to finding someone else's race ten times greater. I won't hate being African-American though I find no glamour in it as well. I support diversity so much that I would love to be mix with a few races I like along with keeping my African heritage. It sounds silly though thats' just how I feel.

11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Online
Posted 3/20/14

qualeshia3 wrote:




I mainly meant people who are racist towards their race due to finding someone else's race ten times greater. I won't hate being African-American though I find no glamour in it as well. I support diversity so much that I would love to be mix with a few races I like along with keeping my African heritage. It sounds silly though thats' just how I feel.



No problem, if you want to have a little diversity that's fine, but the most important thing is that you're happy. There's nothing silly about it. At the end of the day, if you're a good person you're all right with me (It sounds like some really corny crap I'm saying but it's true).
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 3/20/14



No. Its' not corny at all. Thank you though.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.