First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Attack On Titan English Dub Voice Acting
150 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 3/21/14
I am proud of Funimation. I knew they would do a good job. The voices are great for the most part. Levi's voice takes awhile to get used to, but it grew on me
22215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 3/21/14 , edited 3/21/14

slimsh4d3y wrote:

....It's in a different language and targeted toward a different cultural audience. OF COURSE the English dub is going to sound different from the original Japanese version!

Funimation is not ruining AoT. They did not ruin Levi's character. They did not ruin the pronunciation of Mikasa's name. In fact, the dub sounds pretty dang awesome from what I heard - you can tell they've been working really hard on it. The AoT Funimation dub is FAR from M. Night Shamalamadingdong's abomination The Last Airbender.

Funimation has produced some great dubs in the past, some of which I actually prefer over the original Japanese version. (See: Yu Yu Hakusho, Baccano!, Fairy Tail, FMA:B) That's right, I normally prefer the original VAs over dubs, but Funimation continues to provide great content that sometimes changes my perspectives on what sounds "right" in anime.

Is AoT going to sound different? Yes. Strange? Potentially, for some. Is the dub changing the story or characters? No.


So far the only FUNimation dub I don't like is Shana season 2 and beyond. They make amazing dubs that I prefer compared to the original voice actors. I don't find the Japanese voices bad I just like the dub. The people that bash on ALL dubs are annoying weaboos. I understand if one voice annoys you or one dub ruined the anime but, in general, there are some great dubs made by FUNimation and other companies. Any time a dub is announced by FUNimation I end up watching that instead of the subs, same goes for VIZ and on occasion Aniplex.

What people need to realize, as you mentioned, is that it's in a whole different language. They will never be the same as each other and they won't be perfect. If you don't like it fine don't like it but you can't get it to change. What's done is done and they can't just redo it for ONE person to be happy.
1651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Mor Dhona
Offline
Posted 3/21/14

ContributorGuy wrote:

What are people even saying on this thread I don't get it.

Has no one here seen how many negative reactions people have over Levi's voice? There's a massive gap between the people that like the VA versus people that don't.

Obviously it's meant to cater to an American audience and the VA is supposed to sound different. That doesn't excuse the VA to significantly not match his appearance. DBZ, Fairy Tail, Death Note, just to name a few have great dub actors that correspond to main charactors and their personalities and image. Levi's VA is just too far off. It doesn't matter that he's over the age of 35. It doesn't fit his image. It needs to significantly change.

I'm saying this because the reviews are tremendously negative. I'm just one person on the internet, they don't have to change it for me. They need to change it for the people who are loyal to the series and want this to translate well into America. Examples are Sean Schemmel for Goku and Sabat for Vegeta. Their VA is superb and matches the characters.


1. How does his voice not match his character?

2. Where is this massive fanbase raging over his voice?
22215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 3/21/14

ContributorGuy wrote:

What are people even saying on this thread I don't get it.

Has no one here seen how many negative reactions people have over Levi's voice? There's a massive gap between the people that like the VA versus people that don't.

Obviously it's meant to cater to an American audience and the VA is supposed to sound different. That doesn't excuse the VA to significantly not match his appearance. DBZ, Fairy Tail, Death Note, just to name a few have great dub actors that correspond to main charactors and their personalities and image. Levi's VA is just too far off. It doesn't matter that he's over the age of 35. It doesn't fit his image. It needs to significantly change.

I'm saying this because the reviews are tremendously negative. I'm just one person on the internet, they don't have to change it for me. They need to change it for the people who are loyal to the series and want this to translate well into America. Examples are Sean Schemmel for Goku and Sabat for Vegeta. Their VA is superb and matches the characters.


You are clearly blinded by something or are not viewing the dub videos on Crunchyroll, FUNimation, and YouTube (the big 3 for viewing anime). Most of the comments are saying that they like the dub. The small amount of people who want voices changed will not have it happen. The majority of the people like it and that's what FUNimation wants. A dub that more people will like than dislike. Levi is around his mid-thirties. People need to understand that he needs to sound around that age. He's not a teen like most characters in anime. He's a fully grown adult
Posted 3/21/14 , edited 3/21/14
The VA personally to me seems to do Levi's voice well. His voice in the orginal(Japanese) version is also deep and somewhat emotionless. So far I haven't seen many people complain about it.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 3/21/14

MonkeysxMoo35 wrote:

You are clearly blinded by something or are not viewing the dub videos on Crunchyroll, FUNimation, and YouTube (the big 3 for viewing anime). Most of the comments are saying that they like the dub. The small amount of people who want voices changed will not have it happen. The majority of the people like it and that's what FUNimation wants. A dub that more people will like than dislike. Levi is around his mid-thirties. People need to understand that he needs to sound around that age. He's not a teen like most characters in anime. He's a fully grown adult


To be fair adults can sound/look like teenagers and vice versa.
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 3/21/14



You don't get it. Who would you rather have voice Rivaille besides the voice actor that voices him now?
22215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 3/21/14 , edited 3/21/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:


MonkeysxMoo35 wrote:

You are clearly blinded by something or are not viewing the dub videos on Crunchyroll, FUNimation, and YouTube (the big 3 for viewing anime). Most of the comments are saying that they like the dub. The small amount of people who want voices changed will not have it happen. The majority of the people like it and that's what FUNimation wants. A dub that more people will like than dislike. Levi is around his mid-thirties. People need to understand that he needs to sound around that age. He's not a teen like most characters in anime. He's a fully grown adult


To be fair adults can sound/look like teenagers and vice versa.


I think every anime fan knows that most characters (both English & Japanese voices) are voiced by adults. But what I'm saying is he is an adult.
Posted 3/21/14
Where can I see a clip of the voice acting?
Posted 3/21/14
Most of the clips of the upcoming attack on titan dub (season 1) are on Funimation's YouTube channel.
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 3/21/14

ISeaDreamer wrote:

Most of the clips of the upcoming attack on titan dub (season 1) are on Funimation's YouTube channel.



I'm pretty sure the YouTube comments for the videos are worst.
Posted 3/21/14

qualeshia3 wrote:


ISeaDreamer wrote:

Most of the clips of the upcoming attack on titan dub (season 1) are on Funimation's YouTube channel.



I'm pretty sure the YouTube comments for the videos are worst.


Yeah I didn't even bother looking at them. XD
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 3/21/14


I wouldn't bother looking at the comments to be honest.
4034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Down the street
Offline
Posted 3/21/14 , edited 3/21/14
I think a majority of hate comes from people who just hate dub, and that these people were complaining ever since they figured out that AoT was probably going to get dubbed.

Although I admit Levi's VA is going to give off a different vibe... But the clean freak joke will be a little funnier
Posted 3/21/14
I went watch the clips and the only voice I didn't like was Mikasa's
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.