First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Attack On Titan English Dub Voice Acting
42417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/21/14

Sogno- wrote:

why are there two threads about this



Who knows.
1651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Mor Dhona
Offline
Posted 3/21/14

qualeshia3 wrote:


Sogno- wrote:

why are there two threads about this



Who knows.


Because this one is basically a fan whining about how his favorite character isn't being portrayed the way he thinks he should be, rather than an open discussion 'bout the quality of the dub in general.
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 3/21/14

Genbu89 wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

Favor? I'm surprised since majority of YouTube comments on English dubs are from people that hate dubs. Yet they worship the original because the Japanese voice actors are gods in their eyes.


People are just more inclined to complain about bad stuff than praise good stuff.

Most of the comments putting the seiyuu up on a pedestal are from people who don't speak a lick of Japanese outside what they've picked up from anime (and, to a lesser extent, Persona 3/4). Weeaboos who worship the seiyuu without being able to understand what they're saying, as well as decry the performances of English VAs on the grounds they're speaking English and/or are not the original seiyuu, should not be taken seriously.

At. All.


I'd praise it if it was good, which it's not.
Samurai Champloo's eng dub is great.

To the rest of your post
42417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/21/14 , edited 3/21/14


I see.
42417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/21/14



I won't lie that Samurai Champloo's English dub is great. How many dubs have you watched instead of that?!
584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/21/14 , edited 3/21/14

Genbu89 wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


Sogno- wrote:

why are there two threads about this



Who knows.


Because this one is basically a fan whining about how his favorite character isn't being portrayed the way he thinks he should be, rather than an open discussion 'bout the quality of the dub in general.


This is an open discussion hence the first sentence in the topic " Even though it hasn't officially come out yet wanted to start the discussion by saying I'm very upset. "

And I started by giving an opinion on the topic. Yes my discussion is about the negatives but as you see from the past 4 pages, there are people discussing it. Not sure if you're capable of comprehending what you're reading with that statement.
1651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Mor Dhona
Offline
Posted 3/21/14

ContributorGuy wrote:

Because this one is basically a fan whining about how his favorite character isn't being portrayed the way he thinks he should be, rather than an open discussion 'bout the quality of the dub in general.


This is an open discussion hence the first sentence in the topic " Even though it hasn't officially come out yet wanted to start the discussion by saying I'm very upset. "

And I started by giving an opinion on the topic. Yes my discussion is about the negatives but as you see from the past 4 pages, there are people discussing it. Not sure if you're capable of comprehending what you're reading with that statement.

Well I do apologize; I will jump off my high horse now. I have a bad tendency to jump on him when people bash dubs without actually pointing out the flaws in the voice characterizations. Only human!

Anyways, to go more in-depth on your er... discussion... about the quality of Levi's voice, he's played by Matthew Mercer, who previously portrayed serious / brooding anti-heroes like him (e.g. Emiya Kiritsugu). While I've admittedly not watched the Fate/zero dub, I have not heard bad things about it either. The other "notable" character of his I know of is Alvin in Tales of Xillia, who was a wisecracking snake. Still, they would not have hired him to do Levi's voice if they weren't confident in his ability to play the character, and they do have to audition for voice roles just like live-action roles. Regardless, being able to play more than one role (so to speak) helps the VAs get experience, in turn letting them play a wider array of roles.

If Levi is supposed to be "lethargic in voice tone and dark inside," the best alternative I could think of would be Roger Craig Smith (Shinji in Bleach). The two seem somewhat similar in personality, although I've not watched much AoT to be honest.

Still, give it a little bit of time before making a judgment like that. What I've seen of the dub isn't spectacular, but it's good enough.

Point still remains: give VAs some time to settle into their roles and watch more than 2-minute clips before decrying performances.
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 3/21/14

qualeshia3 wrote:



I won't lie that Samurai Champloo's English dub is great. How many dubs have you watched instead of that?!


Cromantia High.

Gonna call me a weeboo because I prefer the japanese dubs?
42417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/21/14 , edited 3/21/14



Those are the only two dubs you've watched? How do you feel towards people who enjoy English dubs? Personally, I like subs and dubs both.
584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/21/14 , edited 3/21/14

Genbu89 wrote:


ContributorGuy wrote:

Because this one is basically a fan whining about how his favorite character isn't being portrayed the way he thinks he should be, rather than an open discussion 'bout the quality of the dub in general.


This is an open discussion hence the first sentence in the topic " Even though it hasn't officially come out yet wanted to start the discussion by saying I'm very upset. "

And I started by giving an opinion on the topic. Yes my discussion is about the negatives but as you see from the past 4 pages, there are people discussing it. Not sure if you're capable of comprehending what you're reading with that statement.



Genbu89Well I do apologize; I will jump off my high horse now. I have a bad tendency to jump on him when people bash dubs without actually pointing out the flaws in the voice characterizations. Only human!

Anyways, to go more in-depth on your er... discussion... about the quality of Levi's voice, he's played by Matthew Mercer, who previously portrayed serious / brooding anti-heroes like him (e.g. Emiya Kiritsugu). While I've admittedly not watched the Fate/zero dub, I have not heard bad things about it either. The other "notable" character of his I know of is Alvin in Tales of Xillia, who was a wisecracking snake. Still, they would not have hired him to do Levi's voice if they weren't confident in his ability to play the character, and they do have to audition for voice roles just like live-action roles. Regardless, being able to play more than one role (so to speak) helps the VAs get experience, in turn letting them play a wider array of roles.

If Levi is supposed to be "lethargic in voice tone and dark inside," the best alternative I could think of would be Roger Craig Smith (Shinji in Bleach). The two seem somewhat similar in personality, although I've not watched much AoT to be honest.

Still, give it a little bit of time before making a judgment like that. What I've seen of the dub isn't spectacular, but it's good enough.

Point still remains: give VAs some time to settle into their roles and watch more than 2-minute clips before decrying performances.


No problem.

And this is actually the very first time I complained about anything anime related. Or even anything entertainment related, like...ever. I feel it's a really big deal to get his voice correct. And I do have an understanding of how things work behind the scenes and the effort it takes into dubs so I'm not completely brushing it off.
Koda89 
33622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Offline
Posted 3/21/14
I fail to see the problem with Levi's voice.

Really no one's voice I actually dislike except for Hanji's. From the one clip of dub Hanji I've seen her voice is too hyper and high pitched. At the least it is the most drastic vocal difference between the Japanese and English voice tracks.

I think the real problem is the script. The voices themselves are overall pretty good and fine. What they are actually saying is another story......
584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/22/14 , edited 3/22/14
Just saw AOT Abridged Parody Series. Wow, how can the VA for that be better than Funi Dub?

1. To people saying the Japanese sub isn't supposed to sound exactly like the English dub, obviously I agree. That's basic logic. And I'm sure everyone else that's displeased with Funi's dub agrees too. But take this example of Mikasa in the Abridged Parody vs Japanese Sub. Mikasa is spot on because it fits her demeanor. The parody sounds different but the VA for both are really good because it fits the personalities. Armin, even for a parody voice is on point because it fits his character. Same for Eren. How can a bunch of amateur VA be that much better than Funi dub? Also to repeat my point in previous comments, past Funi dubs were good like Schemmel and Sabat for Goku and Vegeta.

2. Can the Funi dubs learn how to pronounce Mikasa properly? Holy crap. Do these people realize how much they're going to ruin the impact of this anime once its released? Little things like this do matter. Refer to The Last Airbender Ong vs Aang.

3. Lastly, I seen a comment somewhere regarding Levi's Funi Dub and it was the best way to describe it "Levi isn't supposed to sound like a radio talk show host but cool, calm, apathetic with hidden war scars".
42417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/22/14



Too bad Funimation won't hire them.
15201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Southern USA
Offline
Posted 3/22/14 , edited 3/22/14
If we're talking about the same abridgement/parody, then I can't take you seriously if you think Armin's voice fits him better in the parody. If it's a different parody, my apologies.

Anyhow, I think the voices fit each character pretty well overall (at least the short clips we've seen of them), but the biggest problem is the lines they're given. Just a little too cheesy.


Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiV_1HfmC0I
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 3/22/14 , edited 3/22/14

Des85 wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:



I won't lie that Samurai Champloo's English dub is great. How many dubs have you watched instead of that?!


Cromantia High.

Gonna call me a weeboo because I prefer the japanese dubs?


I just want to point out they're not "Japanese dubs" because that's the language the show (if we're speaking of most anime) was originally voiced in. Anything that replaces the original audio with another language is a dub. Hence... "English dub", "Spanish dub", "Martian dub".


ContributorGuy wrote:

Just saw AOT Abridged Parody Series. Wow, how can the VA for that be better than Funi Dub?

1. To people saying the Japanese sub isn't supposed to sound exactly like the English dub, obviously I agree. That's basic logic. And I'm sure everyone else that's displeased with Funi's dub agrees too. But take this example of Mikasa in the Abridged Parody vs Japanese Sub. Mikasa is spot on because it fits her demeanor. The parody sounds different but the VA for both are really good because it fits the personalities. Armin, even for a parody voice is on point because it fits his character. Same for Eren. How can a bunch of amateur VA be that much better than Funi dub? Also to repeat my point in previous comments, past Funi dubs were good like Schemmel and Sabat for Goku and Vegeta.

2. Can the Funi dubs learn how to pronounce Mikasa properly? Holy crap. Do these people realize how much they're going to ruin the impact of this anime once its released? Little things like this do matter. Refer to The Last Airbender Ong vs Aang.

3. Lastly, I seen a comment somewhere regarding Levi's Funi Dub and it was the best way to describe it "Levi isn't supposed to sound like a radio talk show host but cool, calm, apathetic with hidden war scars".


1. I wouldn't say they are.

2. They pronounce Mikasa correctly in the dub. You say it with no stress on any syllable. Mi ka sa.

3. Ok.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.