First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Fred phelps founder of the westboro baptist chruch died
Gets It.
24763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Raleigh, North Ca...
Online
Posted 3/24/14 , edited 3/24/14

kinga750 wrote:I believe people should be judged on their actions. This was a hateful person, and he harmed many people indirectly. Life does not have to be about forgiveness. That is a cheap line usually spouted by idealists who have no real reason to hold a grudge. Sometimes people do NOT deserve forgiveness, particularly when they have never repented or been punished for their crimes. Some people deserve our hatred, even in death.


Nobody has a "real reason" to hold onto a grudge, or even to create one in general. I'll never understand the idea of a person not "deserving" forgiveness. It isn't something that should be earned; but an action you should hold in your heart to do. I agree that actions speak more than words; nor will you find me arguing that statement. You will, however, find that I will pick out that word judge. I don't believe in judging another person. You may develop reservations about allowing a person to be around you or your loved ones, for they poison or attack those around them. However, to judge a person seems to be harsh - and never necessary. That's just my own "idealistic" perspective on things. But you are right, I have no real reason to hold a grudge - never did, never will. Even those who have harmed me directly (the woman who killed my mother, for instance), I have forgiven and accepted them for who they are. I may not associate with some of them, but that doesn't mean that I do not feel that they deserve a happy life (or death).
37158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/24/14

ninjitsuko wrote:

Nobody has a "real reason" to hold onto a grudge, or even to create one in general. I'll never understand the idea of a person not "deserving" forgiveness. It isn't something that should be earned; but an action you should hold in your heart to do. I agree that actions speak more than words; nor will you find me arguing that statement. You will, however, find that I will pick out that word judge. I don't believe in judging another person. You may develop reservations about allowing a person to be around you or your loved ones, for they poison or attack those around them. However, to judge a person seems to be harsh - and never necessary. That's just my own "idealistic" perspective on things. But you are right, I have no real reason to hold a grudge - never did, never will. Even those who have harmed me directly (the woman who killed my mother, for instance), I have forgiven and accepted them for who they are. I may not associate with some of them, but that doesn't mean that I do not feel that they deserve a happy life (or death).


What you believe is your business, but do not try to tell others what they must do. You speak in absolutes like you already know everything you say is correct. Like it is simply everybody else's responsibility to recognize your superior wisdom; even if instinct says otherwise. I do not care for that.
27500 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 3/24/14

Stonewolfe wrote:
I won't be throwing a homosexual orgy in memory of Phelps


Awh.
Gets It.
24763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Raleigh, North Ca...
Online
Posted 3/24/14 , edited 3/24/14

kinga750 wrote:
What you believe is your business, but do not try to tell others what they must do. You speak in absolutes like you already know everything you say is correct. Like it is simply everybody else's responsibility to recognize your superior wisdom; even if instinct says otherwise. I do not care for that.


You're mis-reading me; as such, I apologise for the miscommunication/confusion. I only speak on my own behalf and explain why I see things as they do. You attempted to state that my comments are similar to "idealists who have no reason to hold a grudge" - which, may (in its own way), be correct; but, it seemed more like an attack than means of understanding my perspective. That's why I've spoken in absolutes, as they are - for me. There's nothing about "superior wisdom" from me. I feel that no human is better or worse than the person next to them.

Essentially, you seemed to wanted to know why I've said what I've said. I explained to the best of my ability. Yet, you're still attempting to state that I'm showing egotism in my comments. This is why I'm a bit confused myself

:)
17191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / The OC
Offline
Posted 3/24/14
And thus the world shines a little brighter than before
37158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/24/14

ninjitsuko wrote:

You're mis-reading me; as such, I apologise for the miscommunication/confusion. I only speak on my own behalf and explain why I see things as they do. You attempted to state that my comments are similar to "idealists who have no reason to hold a grudge" - which, may (in its own way), be correct; but, it seemed more like an attack than means of understanding my perspective. That's why I've spoken in absolutes, as they are - for me. There's nothing about "superior wisdom" from me. I feel that no human is better or worse than the person next to them.

Essentially, you seemed to wanted to know why I've said what I've said. I explained to the best of my ability. Yet, you're still attempting to state that I'm showing egotism in my comments. This is why I'm a bit confused myself

:)


Most people do have difficulty recognizing their own egotism. I was not hoping for you to further explain your own opinion, but rather to acknowledge the legitimacy of others. I take issue with these comments above all else:

"We all need to learn to not reciprocate hatred with more hatred and bias against them. It doesn't really work like that. Life is about forgiveness; not about blame."
This is just irritating.

"Nobody has a "real reason" to hold onto a grudge, or even to create one in general."
This is offensive.
Gets It.
24763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Raleigh, North Ca...
Online
Posted 3/24/14 , edited 3/24/14

kinga750 wrote:
Most people do have difficulty recognizing their own egotism. I was not hoping for you to further explain your own opinion, but rather to acknowledge the legitimacy of others. I take issue with these comments above all else:

"We all need to learn to not reciprocate hatred with more hatred and bias against them. It doesn't really work like that. Life is about forgiveness; not about blame."
This is just irritating.

"Nobody has a "real reason" to hold onto a grudge, or even to create one in general."
This is offensive.


I'm usually fine with acknowledging when I'm allowing my ego to show (especially in regards to programming and design). Here, I felt that I wasn't really being as such.

First comment: That's good that it's irritating.

Second comment:
I fail to understand how that's offensive. That's how I see things. Grudges do not better you nor the person you're holding a grudge against. Nor do they help improve the situation that led to you feeling such negativity. Or am I wrong in that assessment? That's why I say there's never a real reason to hold/develop one; it just doesn't get you anywhere. It won't help you resolve the issues you have with that situation/person. It won't help that person understand what they did had harmed/upset you. That's not me stating an opinion; that's a well-known fact.
Jikkle 
39194 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / SoCal
Offline
Posted 3/24/14

Funny I saw this thread earlier then came across this.

Makes you wonder what could've possibly happened to make someone's views become so twisted so badly.




37158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/24/14

ninjitsuko wrote:


kinga750 wrote:
Most people do have difficulty recognizing their own egotism. I was not hoping for you to further explain your own opinion, but rather to acknowledge the legitimacy of others. I take issue with these comments above all else:

"We all need to learn to not reciprocate hatred with more hatred and bias against them. It doesn't really work like that. Life is about forgiveness; not about blame."
This is just irritating.

"Nobody has a "real reason" to hold onto a grudge, or even to create one in general."
This is offensive.


I'm usually fine with acknowledging when I'm allowing my ego to show (especially in regards to programming and design). Here, I felt that I wasn't really being as such.

First comment: That's good that it's irritating.

Second comment:
I fail to understand how that's offensive. That's how I see things. Grudges do not better you nor the person you're holding a grudge against. Nor do they help improve the situation that led to you feeling such negativity. Or am I wrong in that assessment? That's why I say there's never a real reason to hold/develop one; it just doesn't get you anywhere. It won't help you resolve the issues you have with that situation/person. It won't help that person understand what they did had harmed/upset you. That's not me stating an opinion; that's a well-known fact.


It is offensive because you are marginalizing the thoughts, emotions and opinions of many righteously angry people. Sometimes the only response to a person is absolute contempt. I think we feel that way for a reason. Attempting to humanize people who devote their lives to the oppression of others is not automatically the best choice, in my opinion. Certainly not just because you said so.

Anyway I am not so concerned with your beliefs, which you continue to defend and explain unrequested. Is it so much to ask that you acknowledge the legitimacy of other people's hatred? If someone kills my mother, I should forgive him? Just because you did? Get real.
Gets It.
24763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Raleigh, North Ca...
Online
Posted 3/24/14

kinga750 wrote:It is offensive because you are marginalizing the thoughts, emotions and opinions of many righteously angry people. Sometimes the only response to a person is absolute contempt. I think we feel that way for a reason. Attempting to humanize people who devote their lives to the oppression of others is not automatically the best choice, in my opinion. Certainly not just because you said so.

Anyway I am not so concerned with your beliefs, which you continue to defend and explain unrequested. Is it so much to ask that you acknowledge the legitimacy of other people's hatred? If someone kills my mother, I should forgive him? Just because you did? Get real.


I will agree to disagree. That's really as far as I can go with that. "Attempting to humanize people" ... how can anyone attempt to humanize a human? It's their right as soon as they're born within our species. Perhaps, at this stage, the "agreeing to disagree" should be best. As you're really losing the plot of the entire statements I've made and just want to defend hatred and negativity.
37158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/24/14 , edited 3/24/14

ninjitsuko wrote:

I will agree to disagree. That's really as far as I can go with that. "Attempting to humanize people" ... how can anyone attempt to humanize a human? It's their right as soon as they're born within our species. Perhaps, at this stage, the "agreeing to disagree" should be best. As you're really losing the plot of the entire statements I've made and just want to defend hatred and negativity.


Exactly. I defend hatred as a righteous emotion. There is a reason we hate,and I don't care for the overwhelmingly politically correct sentiment that we should all just forgive and forget. Particularly since it is most often espoused by those who most benefit from forgiveness and forgetfulness. But we can agree to disagree.
21580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Reston, Virginia
Offline
Posted 3/24/14
I feel the world is a better place without him, but I'm sure they are many still around who feel like he did and just don't openly flaunt it. I'm also sure there will be someone else who will take up his mantle of hate.

786 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / new york
Offline
Posted 3/24/14
when i found out, i couldn't help but have a huge grin on my face for a whole day. to bad hell isn't real, because i would love for him to burn for eternity.
Sailor Candy Moderator
200577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/28/15
"Year-end cleanup. Closing threads with no activity since 2014."
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.