First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
What makes a Fight Good in Anime?
The Wise Wizard
100935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 3/23/14 , edited 3/23/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

Well sorry for making you have to exert an inane amount of effort. Seriously, it takes all of 3 seconds to copy and paste. If you can't be bothered nor have the time to do that, god knows you don't have time to watch the video.

The same could be said for either putting url tags at the beginning and end of each link, or simply highlighting each and clicking the hyperlink button.

You are a single person posting a message. How many people did you hope would follow your links?
11417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 3/24/14 , edited 3/24/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

Well sorry for making you have to exert an inane amount of effort. Seriously, it takes all of 3 seconds to copy and paste. If you can't be bothered nor have the time to do that, god knows you don't have time to watch the video.

The same could be said for either putting url tags at the beginning and end of each link, or simply highlighting each and clicking the hyperlink button.

You are a single person posting a message. How many people did you hope would follow your links?


I didn't hope anyone would follow them. Whether they do that or not is their own choice. But you can hardly say I didn't exert any effort after making as lengthy-a-post as that. Anyway, if you read ahead you'd notice we resolved the whole thing, me and him. Why are you bringing it back up? For the sake of re-igniting a resolved argument?
The Wise Wizard
100935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 3/24/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I didn't hope anyone would follow them. Whether they do that or not is their own choice. But you can hardly say I didn't exert any effort after making as lengthy-a-post as that. Anyway, if you read ahead you'd notice we resolved the whole thing, me and him. Why are you bringing it back up? For the sake of re-igniting a resolved argument?

You apologized to Hairbelly for misinterpreting his intentions, but that didn't alter the meaning of your earlier statement. That is why I was "bringing it back up".

It is hypocritical for you to call someone else lazy in this instance ("Well sorry for making you have to exert an inane amount of effort"). Unless, of course, you simply didn't know how to create clickable links, which I'll assume isn't the case since you've never even hinted at such.

As for your claim that, "I didn't hope anyone would follow them", for what other reason would you have posted them? Do you also post messages here with no hope that someone will read them? Perhaps you would have understood better if I had used "desire" or "expectation" instead of "hope".

11417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 3/24/14 , edited 3/24/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I didn't hope anyone would follow them. Whether they do that or not is their own choice. But you can hardly say I didn't exert any effort after making as lengthy-a-post as that. Anyway, if you read ahead you'd notice we resolved the whole thing, me and him. Why are you bringing it back up? For the sake of re-igniting a resolved argument?

You apologized to Hairbelly for misinterpreting his intentions, but that didn't alter the meaning of your earlier statement. That is why I was "bringing it back up".

It is hypocritical for you to call someone else lazy in this instance ("Well sorry for making you have to exert an inane amount of effort"). Unless, of course, you simply didn't know how to create clickable links, which I'll assume isn't the case since you've never even hinted at such.

As for your claim that, "I didn't hope anyone would follow them", for what other reason would you have posted them? Do you also post messages here with no hope that someone will read them? Perhaps you would have understood better if I had used "desire" or "expectation" instead of "hope".



I seriously don't care if anyone clicks them or not, they're just there to save people even more effort. The reason it got me miffed is because I'd gone to the hassle of trying to find the videos and had written that large chunk of text only to be told what I interpreted as 'you didn't try hard enough'. That annoyed me. But in the end, contradiction or not, you're just trying to start up an argument and I don't see why you can't just let it go. Why should I remove that comment just to personally appeal to your expectations? Don't you have something more productive to do, than start looking for trouble by pointing out errors in what some stranger says? In the end I added hyperlinks. You literally have nothing that you're fighting for instead of the satisfaction of telling me 'Ha, you're wrong and I'm right'.
28332 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 3/24/14
For me there are two types of fights that work well - those that talk to the brain and those that talk to the heart.

Fights that talk to the brain would be those where all the rules (albeit incredibly complex ones, sometimes) are laid down and everything that happens is a consequence of those rules. There is a perfect flow of thought to be followed; like a chess match, every move and counter move follows a specific logic. The best example of this would be fights in HunterXHunter. Other good examples could be Fullmetal Alchemist or Girls und Panzer tank fights.

Fights that talk to the heart don't necessarily have logic - sometimes the less they have, the better! They're just awesome romps of epicness, either gut-wrenching, fist-pump inducing, or plain amazing to watch. They're just there to REPRESENT a conflict, they're not meant to be understood, just enjoyed and appreciated for what they mean rather than what they literally are. These are more common and relatively easier to pull off. Power of Friendship and Power of Love make frequent appearances. The typical examples would be Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and on the sad/thoughtful end of the spectrum Puella Magi Madoka Magica or Revolutionary Girl Utena's duels. A non-anime (but anime inspired) example are the fights in Scott Pilgrim.

Shonen series usually tend to do both, leaning towards one of the two ends - Naruto used to lean more towards the brainy side, Bleach definitely the heart one, One Piece is somewhere in the middle. Jojo's are more brainy, Dragonball's more heart-felt. Of course they can still be done well or badly, and that goes down to planning, music, voice acting, animation, and all that jazz.
The Wise Wizard
100935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 3/24/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I seriously don't care if anyone clicks them or not, they're just there to save people even more effort. The reason it got me miffed is because I'd gone to the hassle of trying to find the videos and had written that large chunk of text only to be told what I interpreted as 'you didn't try hard enough'. That annoyed me. But in the end, contradiction or not, you're just trying to start up an argument and I don't see why you can't just let it go. Why should I remove that comment just to personally appeal to your expectations? Don't you have something more productive to do, than start looking for trouble by pointing out errors in what some stranger says? In the end I added hyperlinks. You literally have nothing that you're fighting for instead of the satisfaction of telling me 'Ha, you're wrong and I'm right'.

You either don't get it or don't want to, so I won't pursue this further.

11417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 3/24/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I seriously don't care if anyone clicks them or not, they're just there to save people even more effort. The reason it got me miffed is because I'd gone to the hassle of trying to find the videos and had written that large chunk of text only to be told what I interpreted as 'you didn't try hard enough'. That annoyed me. But in the end, contradiction or not, you're just trying to start up an argument and I don't see why you can't just let it go. Why should I remove that comment just to personally appeal to your expectations? Don't you have something more productive to do, than start looking for trouble by pointing out errors in what some stranger says? In the end I added hyperlinks. You literally have nothing that you're fighting for instead of the satisfaction of telling me 'Ha, you're wrong and I'm right'.

You either don't get it or don't want to, so I won't pursue this further.



It would be easier if you hadn't bothered starting in the first place.
2308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/24/14


Totally agree and I love the way you classified the fights into those two criteria, for me personally, like I said in the video, strategy all the way but I would never turn down an emotional tear jerking fight if done right, those are epic as well.
1620 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/24/14 , edited 3/24/14
When characters have powers that are not firing beams.
Sogno- 
45722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/24/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:We're getting mad at people because they agree with us now?




"don't you dare agree with me or we will fight "

that would make a good fight indeed
14990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 3/24/14
A well thought out layer of powerups and a cheesy speach of idealism should do it.
55 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 3/24/14
For a fight to be great, I really need at least most of these. 1: Badass smack talk from epic characters, even if they aren't very strong. 2: Nothing that involves loads of battles with bright lights, I like my fight scenes with fists, kicks, gun or incredible unique powers. 3. Insanity. That's mostly it, there's also the music and I like verbal as well as psychical battles.
61159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Online
Posted 3/24/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


HauAreWe wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:
Finally, the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP also annoys me. Just because you have something worth protecting doesn't strike me as a valid reason to receive a massive power boost. If anything, it's taught me that maybe if villains had more friends they'd win more.


Reminds me of Robot Girls Z where the villains are certainly a large group of friends, but they get trumped by the cold heartless Mazinger girls because they're not the protagonists XD.


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HOAuiY5XFQ (Koyomi vs Araragi in Bakemonogatari albeit more of a beatdown to showcase the strength of the demon in question)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y41FCMkOFnQ (Spike Spiegel vs Vincent Volaju from the end of Cowboy Bebop Knockin' on Heaven's Door, also some fantastic choreography)


I've been repeated -.-


And? We wrote similar things. Last I checked your post didn't have any more superiority or entitlement to exist over mine. The fact you're getting annoyed at how I agree with you just convinces me more and more that humans are stupid.


"I've been repeated" is not equivalent to "shut up and get off my forum." The irony is here overwhelming. If you weren't going around picking fights with everyone, I might have thought you were just being facetious.
69120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hawaii
Offline
Posted 3/24/14


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlsBphNXzTc

This is probably one of the best fight scenes I've watched, and it's from Gintama. These moments are rare in the anime, but when Gintama does action, it's done surprisingly well.
11417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 3/25/14 , edited 3/25/14

staphen wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


HauAreWe wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:
Finally, the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP also annoys me. Just because you have something worth protecting doesn't strike me as a valid reason to receive a massive power boost. If anything, it's taught me that maybe if villains had more friends they'd win more.


Reminds me of Robot Girls Z where the villains are certainly a large group of friends, but they get trumped by the cold heartless Mazinger girls because they're not the protagonists XD.


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HOAuiY5XFQ (Koyomi vs Araragi in Bakemonogatari albeit more of a beatdown to showcase the strength of the demon in question)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y41FCMkOFnQ (Spike Spiegel vs Vincent Volaju from the end of Cowboy Bebop Knockin' on Heaven's Door, also some fantastic choreography)


I've been repeated -.-


And? We wrote similar things. Last I checked your post didn't have any more superiority or entitlement to exist over mine. The fact you're getting annoyed at how I agree with you just convinces me more and more that humans are stupid.


"I've been repeated" is not equivalent to "shut up and get off my forum." The irony is here overwhelming. If you weren't going around picking fights with everyone, I might have thought you were just being facetious.


Well maybe I wouldn't have thought you were telling me to shut up and get off if you dropped that '-.-' face. I always interpreted that as a 'are you fucking serious?' kind of face.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.