First  Prev  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next  Last
Post Reply The World is Still Beautiful Discussions
Koda89 
19231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Online
Posted 5/11/14

seekerperson7 wrote:

This show really is surprisingly good. Its turning out to be one of my favorites of the season.

I love the character's personalities and the development they've all undergone after such a short time. It really gives the show a sense of motion. Heck, Livius himself is progressing far more in these past few episodes than I expected him to in the whole season. This show just keeps surprising me.

However, I still can't get passed the age thing. It just feels rather uncomfortable. I'd have greatly preferred it if they were married in name, but Nike served more as a surrogate mother figure. At least they decided to go with a young boy, though. While I hate to admit it, i'd probably be much more uncomfortable if their genders were reversed.

Quite an odd sensation. Although the show itself is amazing, that one aspect gives me mixed feelings about it. i'm not saying its necessarily bad in this context, but I can't lie and say that i'm perfectly comfortable with it. Reminds me of Claymore all over again . . .


The age difference is only a problem because they physically look several years apart. They are only like 3 years apart, though.
15191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/11/14

Koda89 wrote:

The age difference is only a problem because they physically look several years apart. They are only like 3 years apart, though.


This is a very true and valid point which goes further to justify it - but the appearance is still important. After all, anime age is notorious for being deceptive, and similar arguments are made for the infamous "legal loli" characters and relationships. But admittedly, comparing Livius to something like that doesn't do him justice lol

I think I still have some small issues with it because early in the series, they even compared Nike to his mother. In fact, they're still making those comparisons now. Also, there are subtle character interactions that seem to reinforce this. Those combined with the appearance aspect make the whole thing a little awkward for me personally.

But, again, its just a mild degree of personal discomfort and doesn't detract from the quality of the show itself.

36147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/11/14 , edited 5/11/14

seekerperson7 wrote:
This is a very true and valid point which goes further to justify it - but the appearance is still important. After all, anime age is notorious for being deceptive, and similar arguments are made for the infamous "legal loli" characters and relationships. But admittedly, comparing Livius to something like that doesn't do him justice lol

I think I still have some small issues with it because early in the series, they even compared Nike to his mother. In fact, they're still making those comparisons now. Also, there are subtle character interactions that seem to reinforce this. Those combined with the appearance aspect make the whole thing a little awkward for me personally.

But, again, its just a mild degree of personal discomfort and doesn't detract from the quality of the show itself.

First, don't judge a book by its cover.

Secondly, I can name numerous instances where females are compared to mother figures which leads to physical attraction. For instance, when a girl cooks lunch for a boy, when a girl takes care of a boy when he gets sick, lap pillows, ect.

Now, Nike is a much needed strong female figure in his life. This spot can be filled with a mother figure, or a love interest. The point is not that he is sexually attracted to his mother. The point is that he can have someone in his life to lean on that happens to also be a woman. When his mother died, he found Nike was also able to fill the "lean on me" role he needed.
15191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/11/14

bathroom64 wrote:

First, don't judge a book by its cover.

Secondly, I can name numerous instances where females are compared to mother figures which leads to physical attraction. For instance, when a girl cooks lunch for a boy, when a girl takes care of a boy when he gets sick, lap pillows, ect.

Now, Nike is a much needed strong female figure in his life. This spot can be filled with a mother figure, or a love interest. The point is not that he is sexually attracted to his mother. The point is that he can have someone in his life to lean on that happens to also be a woman. When his mother died, he found Nike was also able to fill the "lean on me" role he needed.


True, caring for characters is common, but this show is juxtaposing it with flashbacks of his literal mother, which i'd argue is a bit different.

I agree, however, that Nike is fulfilling a nurturing, motherly, "lean on me" role as a love interest. I'm not arguing that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just saying that I personally found it jarring compared with what I mentioned in the sentence above.

Its just preference, really. I don't necessarily find fault with it. I myself would have preferred it if she did fulfill a motherly role, as that would make more sense to me personally and would probably leave me more satisfied with their appearances and the implications of the flashbacks. I suppose i'm just a bit let down since that's what I was expecting going in, which was my own mistake.

Sorry if I came across as confrontational, it was all opinion, really - though I probably didn't make that perfectly clear lol.
25963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/12/14
Yet another WTF moment in the PV. It's been a while since I've seen a show that tried to hard to make me drop it in between episodes.
7602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/12/14
Okay, I totally love this love story. But does anyone else wish for a three or four year time skip so the relationship wouldn't be as awkward?
23302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/12/14

seekerperson7 wrote:

This show really is surprisingly good. Its turning out to be one of my favorites of the season.

I love the character's personalities and the development they've all undergone after such a short time. It really gives the show a sense of motion. Heck, Livius himself is progressing far more in these past few episodes than I expected him to in the whole season. This show just keeps surprising me.

However, I still can't get passed the age thing. It just feels rather uncomfortable. I'd have greatly preferred it if they were married in name, but Nike served more as a surrogate mother figure. At least they decided to go with a young boy, though. While I hate to admit it, i'd probably be much more uncomfortable if their genders were reversed.

Quite an odd sensation. Although the show itself is amazing, that one aspect gives me mixed feelings about it. i'm not saying its necessarily bad in this context, but I can't lie and say that i'm perfectly comfortable with it. Reminds me of Claymore all over again . . .


This is exactly how I feel about it. 'Don't judge a book by it's cover' is something people do all the time regardless anyway, it seems rather unavoidable.

I think Nike herself is actually rather confused as to where she stands with Liv, they both feel the need to protect her. It's obviously going to grow into a love situation in the future, but for the moment I do think Nike is providing more of a motherly role. I mean, even in the opening (or the ending) where she's holding him in her arms, it seems to be more of a nurturing sort of pose.
36147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/13/14

OniFeeZ wrote:
I mean, even in the opening (or the ending) where she's holding him in her arms, it seems to be more of a nurturing sort of pose.

In the ending, they are naked in bed.
23302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/13/14
Yeah, but in the show she's always freaked out by it. I'm talking about the part where they're on the battlements
36147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/13/14

OniFeeZ wrote:
Yeah, but in the show she's always freaked out by it. I'm talking about the part where they're on the battlements

Don't just pick and choose which parts of the OP/ED to take in >_>

She learns to accept his naked self in the end. Deal with it.
23302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/13/14 , edited 5/13/14

bathroom64 wrote:


OniFeeZ wrote:
Yeah, but in the show she's always freaked out by it. I'm talking about the part where they're on the battlements

Don't just pick and choose which parts of the OP/ED to take in >_>

She learns to accept his naked self in the end. Deal with it.


'In the end' lol... It's supposed to be a love story, of course she does. I don't really care how she falls for him, all I ever said was that it was, for me, at this moment, a bit creepy. Which is amazing because I actually like the show. You're the one that's attacking everything I say, just like that other fellow who immediately declared I was boring, for what... having a different opinion?


40172 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 5/17/14 , edited 5/17/14
There is no new episode today. Episode 7 will be airing next week as the official website says. On the Nippon TV schedule, soccer is airing instead (which is Saturday at 2:55am).
1585 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/14 , edited 5/17/14

Bakaneer wrote:

There is no new episode today. Episode 7 will be airing next week as the official website says. On the Nippon TV schedule, soccer is airing instead (which is Saturday at 2:55am).


I wish Anime was nationally popular like Sports is in every country.

I could be arguing over my fantasy Harem instead of who's taking the cup.
36608 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S(Boston)
Offline
Posted 5/17/14

Bakaneer wrote:

There is no new episode today. Episode 7 will be airing next week as the official website says. On the Nippon TV schedule, soccer is airing instead (which is Saturday at 2:55am).


Whyyyy cruel world?!?! =[....but thanks for the info, wondered why I did not see it with a count down.
Sogno- 
26432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/17/14
ah dang :/ thanks for the info
First  Prev  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.