First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
How do you feel about the Anime Fandom?
19605 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Osaka
Offline
Posted 3/25/14 , edited 3/25/14

TheGordianNot wrote:

Come on, that's hilarious .

Btw, on bronies: I have watched the first 3 seasons of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (dropped at season 4 as the quality was going down imho) and I don't see the issue. It's not especially different from watching, say, your typical cute-girls-doing-cute-things anime or something like that: it's pretty much the same, a fun (sometimes very witty, in fact) comedy but a pretty innocuous one - without the political/sex jokes of Futurama or South Park, for example.
I can see how people may consider it creepy if someone is, *ahem*, sexually attracted to the characters, but then again, isn't that creepy ANYWAY? Does it make much difference to be attracted to a highly stylized, completely unrealistic 2D portrayal of a little girl rather than a highly stylized, completely unrealistic 2D portrayal of a pony? If you accept one you may as well accept the other (in fact, considering that most moe girls are underage, in my book bestiality is still less harmful than paedophilia...), if you refuse both, they still don't constitute 100% of the fandom (luckily).






Hory s***, a man after my own heart. Only reason I didn't go into such details is because I want to stay faithful to the anime-fandom-centric topic.
84 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 3/25/14 , edited 3/25/14

TheGordianNot wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:




Man, I feel a little sad.


Come on, that's hilarious .

Btw, on bronies: I have watched the first 3 seasons of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (dropped at season 4 as the quality was going down imho) and I don't see the issue. It's not especially different from watching, say, your typical cute-girls-doing-cute-things anime or something like that: it's pretty much the same, a fun (sometimes very witty, in fact) comedy but a pretty innocuous one - without the political/sex jokes of Futurama or South Park, for example.
I can see how people may consider it creepy if someone is, *ahem*, sexually attracted to the characters, but then again, isn't that creepy ANYWAY? Does it make much difference to be attracted to a highly stylized, completely unrealistic 2D portrayal of a little girl rather than a highly stylized, completely unrealistic 2D portrayal of a pony? If you accept one you may as well accept the other (in fact, considering that most moe girls are underage, in my book bestiality is still less harmful than paedophilia...), if you refuse both, they still don't constitute 100% of the fandom (luckily).

On yaoi: I've been a fanfic writer some years ago and have always found it quite annoying when it messes with the characters. I can see that in some cases there are hints at homoerotic attraction/relationships in anime that aren't explored just cause, duh, anime, they don't even go much into heterosexual relationships, figures. However many yaoi pairings are completely pulled out of one's ass. If a character is clearly heterosexual, throwing him in a yaoi pairing is equivalent to going OOC. At that point you might as well write a homosexual porn story with your own characters, what's the point? So yeah, it strikes me as silly but not especially problematic, it's just one thing some fangirls do.

Or of course it can be played for laughs like the above case .


The best example I have to explain to compare the fandom would be someone who states they are an otaku constantly. To be more accurate, it would be as if I were to say I'm a shoujo otaku, yeah there might not be much wrong with that in itself, however it's so much more than that. The phenomenon I've noticed around brony isn't simply a love for the show, it becomes a creepy part of their life. I kid you not I will be talking about the most unassociated thing possible, and then SOMEHOW a brony will find a way to interject their love or a story. It's like the freaking Jehovas witnesses, after a while it gets annoying.

I am in no way telling people to keep things I don't agree with to themselves, but it has almost turned into some kind of creepy cult, and I'm openly expressing my dislike for said cult. It's like the "girl gamer" syndrome, they have to tell you 10x a day they are a brony. I've cut ties with some people over this crap.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 3/25/14
Honestly it doesn't really affect me much one way or the other. the most contact I have with this 'fandom' thing is here. and while some threads make me shake my head. ...

... I don't myself particularly upset, excited, moved in anyway by fandom. frankly they're no different from any other group of fans from trekkies to people idolize twilight, or beiber or whatever.
2115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/25/14 , edited 3/25/14

CoffeeGodEddy wrote:

How do you feel about the anime fandom in general?

Synopsis:
I for one find a growing population of hypocrites, band-wagoners, spiteful people, and "certified experts" in the anime fandom.

We have those who people who jump from bashing an upcoming English dub to praising it the next second *cough cough Attack on Titan dub*.

We also have those people who are too afraid to express their own opinions and jump on the bandwagon because they fear social criticism and the glorious barrage of downvotes. Embrace the downvotes. Downvotes give your comments pretty blue texts that read "Show Hidden Comment." Reverse effect really considering I love reading those comments.

Another addition to the lovely fandom are spiteful people who attack another person just to be mean or have the my way or highway mentality. They tend to intentionally start flame wars for sh*ts and giggles. In essence, they are close-minded too.

Last but not least we have our "certified experts" which are probably my favorite to come across. By "certified expert," I do not mean people with valid arguments or comments on a given topic, but people who are a-holes about it or are plain arrogant.

Those are my thoughts. What are yours?


I don't really care about your opinion on the anime fandom, but honestly your entire post seems like a description of the internet in general.
169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 3/25/14
I consider myself apart of the anime fandom though not on the super vocal side. To me, there will always be the loud and obnoxious elitists, the in-between fans who love anime but aren't going to bite your head off if you say you don't like a certain series, and the band wagoners. There isn't a way to keep them regulated nor is there a set standard to judge yourself by whether or not you are actually apart of the anime fandom or any fandom for that matter. Everyone has their own way of showing love for anime, just some more extreme than others and in ways I personally don't agree with. We just have to live with it like it is though.
699 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Britain
Offline
Posted 3/25/14


I have to admit I enjoyed that one haha. The Kuroko no Basket and Shingeki no Kyojin yaoi fangirls are the worst imo but they do make me laugh quite alot.
699 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Britain
Offline
Posted 3/25/14


I know that feel. It's the over obsessive bronies that creep me out like the middle aged men and some of the teenagers.

699 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Britain
Offline
Posted 3/25/14


Yeah I agree most the fans are great people but there's always one who thinks they are an anime elitist or are abit obsessive, I don't mind the obsessive fans aslong as they don't shove it in my face.
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 3/25/14 , edited 3/25/14
Could someone explain what the Anime fandom is supposed to be? Anime-related communities are too diverse for me to consider them just one fandom.
699 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Britain
Offline
Posted 3/25/14


Like I said I don't mean to cause offense so I hope I don't in what I say! I'm not hostile to bronies, I don't understand bronies in general but I won't bash a fandom because they have a passion for something I find a little weird, alot of people could say I'm weird for liking anime!

I don't hate bronies in general or anything like that, when I refered to the brony fandom I guess I was talking more about the over fanatical fans, I must admit there are some mlp fans which are over the top and odd to say the least but it's not up to me what people enjoy or do. I just find it a little strange when people do some strange things for example photoshopping themselves with ponies and saying "Applejack is being flirty with me" or "Rainbowdash is in a mood with me because I didn't give her any attention last night."

Just a few examples I've seen recently xD

19605 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Osaka
Offline
Posted 3/25/14 , edited 3/25/14


But that's where I find that the two fandoms are pretty much the same. Anime fans who are flamboyant with their love also abound on the internet. I've seen more than enough hentai sprays in my daily TF2 battles to support that claim! Plus most of us are posting anime gifs around the place or making anime versions of film scenes/memes online, and so-on.

Main difference? Anime is less new, less of a buzz, more accepted.


englishotaku wrote:



Like I said I don't mean to cause offense so I hope I don't in what I say! I'm not hostile to bronies, I don't understand bronies in general but I won't bash a fandom because they have a passion for something I find a little weird, alot of people could say I'm weird for liking anime!

I don't hate bronies in general or anything like that, when I refered to the brony fandom I guess I was talking more about the over fanatical fans, I must admit there are some mlp fans which are over the top and odd to say the least but it's not up to me what people enjoy or do. I just find it a little strange when people do some strange things for example photoshopping themselves with ponies and saying "Applejack is being flirty with me" or "Rainbowdash is in a mood with me because I didn't give her any attention last night."

Just a few examples I've seen recently xD



I agree 100% - my only point being that the two fandoms are literally identical in that regard. Just replace 'bronies' with 'anime fans' and the MLP characters there with Rei Ayanami, Haruhi Suzumiya, Mikasa Ackerman or w/e you fancy and suddenly you notice it :D

So really, to pull this back to the topic: This is one of the personal issues I have with the views of a large amount of anime fans, when in reality our fandoms should be pretty chill with each other by default.
699 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Britain
Offline
Posted 3/25/14 , edited 3/25/14



I don't exactly agree with you about the two being that similar but that's just my opinion! Anime is a huge fanbase with over 10,000 different anime, MLP is just 1 show! I think the basic structure of the fandom is similar, you have your quiet secretive watchers, the self proclaimed elitists, the crazy over the top fans etc.. but the fandoms aren't the same to me :p
19605 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Osaka
Offline
Posted 3/25/14 , edited 3/25/14
Oh yes, in the respect that it's one show vs all Japanese animation, that's different. But in essence I find that to be semantics, because as you say the structure and character-types encountered are all the same, and as TheGordianNot stated, there aren't really any conflicts you can naturally imagine arising when you look at the content of the majority of either. All it takes is for the fans of either thing (or both in my case) to put themselves in perspective and then bingo, more mutual acceptance
28332 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 3/25/14 , edited 3/25/14

Wolf1777 wrote:

The best example I have to explain to compare the fandom would be someone who states they are an otaku constantly. To be more accurate, it would be as if I were to say I'm a shoujo otaku, yeah there might not be much wrong with that in itself, however it's so much more than that. The phenomenon I've noticed around brony isn't simply a love for the show, it becomes a creepy part of their life. I kid you not I will be talking about the most unassociated thing possible, and then SOMEHOW a brony will find a way to interject their love or a story. It's like the freaking Jehovas witnesses, after a while it gets annoying.

I am in no way telling people to keep things I don't agree with to themselves, but it has almost turned into some kind of creepy cult, and I'm openly expressing my dislike for said cult. It's like the "girl gamer" syndrome, they have to tell you 10x a day they are a brony. I've cut ties with some people over this crap.


I guess the problem here is also that "brony" became more associated with that kind of extreme fan. I would define myself an anime fan but not a brony, yet my commitment to both fandoms is pretty much the same - I watch the shows and enjoy some fan art/parodies/abridgements (Friendship is Witchcraft ), the end. So basically everything that comes almost for free .

By the way, someone might be interested in this, it's an interesting analysis of some recent developments in the brony fandom:

http://stormingtheivorytower.blogspot.it/2014/01/heywoood-jabrony-or-notes-from-center.html
9781 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Online
Posted 3/25/14
We are a diverse and dynamic group. I don't put much thought into us beyond that.

I'm amused with how many people are talking as if they aren't a part of the fandom. We're all on CR, right? Or is only liking manga supposed to be vastly different, or something?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.