First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Thoughts About Our Current Generation
10950 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/23/14
Everybody has choices just cause someone swears to much or dresses differently or plays M rated games before being M rated themselves doesn't mean anything. As long as your choices don't land you in jail who cares what people do or how they grew up. Theres no rule that says you have to play it by the book to be successful. I love my generation.
15074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/23/14
Actually, I'd say this generation has to one of the best ones in history. Think about it everyone, even with all the minor annoyances in society, nothing compares to the daily pillaging that went on during the time of the Mongol Horde, or the complete devastation of life that came with the Black Plague. The world is much more connected now, and if one country is acting out of line, the majority of the world is there to stop them in the form of the UN and the threat of nuclear warfare. That is why I don't see another mass genocide like the holocaust happening ever again in a developed country, as if the world smells even a whiff of someone as evil as Adolf Hitler ever again, that would be a non-political question to go help those people.

That's not to say that our generation is perfect, but unlike previous illiterate generations, we have more access to public education than ever before, and most of us even have a smart phone that can look up anything in human history given a few key words. Society will never be perfect, but as the age of technology advances, I can see a brighter future ahead for the human race. I just hope that we find the solution to eternal life before I die, since I want to remain on this plane of existence until we start colonizing the solar system :D.
4127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Texas ya'll
Offline
Posted 3/23/14 , edited 3/23/14
Exactly! People hundreds of years ago lived in fear of living simply day to day from some blood-lusting son of a bitch who would destroy their village, kill their family, and steal all their shit. Like the Sino-Chinese wars? Especially the second one? and I guess America for example? My homeland became America through nothing other than mass genocide. They didn't get that idea from modern society. They got it from being human
8404 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 3/23/14 , edited 3/23/14

Vapovile wrote:

Actually, I'd say this generation has to one of the best ones in history. Think about it everyone, even with all the minor annoyances in society, nothing compares to the daily pillaging that went on during the time of the Mongol Horde, or the complete devastation of life that came with the Black Plague. The world is much more connected now, and if one country is acting out of line, the majority of the world is there to stop them in the form of the UN and the threat of nuclear warfare. That is why I don't see another mass genocide like the holocaust happening ever again in a developed country, as if the world smells even a whiff of someone as evil as Adolf Hitler ever again, that would be a non-political question to go help those people.

That's not to say that our generation is perfect, but unlike previous illiterate generations, we have more access to public education than ever before, and most of us even have a smart phone that can look up anything in human history given a few key words. Society will never be perfect, but as the age of technology advances, I can see a brighter future ahead for the human race. I just hope that we find the solution to eternal life before I die, since I want to remain on this plane of existence until we start colonizing the solar system :D.


Not to mention, countries nowadays are becoming more interconnected and economically dependent on each other because of globalization (trade between different countries). This leads to greater prosperity for everyone (since there will be more specialization and division of labor), and it also leads to peace. Just think of it, if every country is economically dependent on others, then no country will start a war because it will screw up the economy.
Posted 3/23/14

zachariakhan wrote:

Our generation is filled with puppets that are self-absorbed and ignorant. Everyone's judgemental. The word "individuality" doesn't exist anymore. Also, our generation doesn't acknowledge real music, instead they turn to mainstream entertainers who call themselves musicians.


Exactly. That's what I mean in this forum and these so-called "musicians" are just puppets. Same with the actors, well some of them. Their fans are so absorbed in their traits and they think following them is the right thing to do.
Posted 3/23/14

dragontackle wrote:

Kids these days are total douchebag swagfags. Seriously, go eavesdrop on a conversation these kids are having


Most of them live in my town and it really sucks, but there is nothing I can do about it. My school is completely filled with them and most of them sag their pants or have a snapback attached to their pants. -.- They also have piercings all over their faces.
27254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/23/14 , edited 3/23/14
Our current generation is senseless and unreliable. I think we're not trained in practical job skills enough like the youngsters in other countries and the people in our previous generation. Life has never been easier and we've never really known war (most of us). There was an Asian term that translates into 'Strawberry Generation' and it alludes to how strawberries bruise easily and do not stand up well to pressure. Young people now are so easily offended and angered by practically anything. It's kind of pathetic. The change was obvious when I visited my old Chinese school.

The teachers used to have us firmly under control and we were almost afraid of them. Their discipline was strict but fair. I came to appreciate their efforts years after I stopped going because I figured out that discipline is a keystone in life. Now, they all look so weary, tired and old. The kids walked all over them and they did things in class we would never dream of back when we were their age. I was genuinely sad when I went back to bring them some food and to play with the kids. I asked my old teachers what happened and they told me that kids just don't endure it or listen anymore. They are impossible to discipline. They think they are just as understanding and skilled as the adults and they are raised to be so hyper-aware of themselves that they retaliate almost aggressively if something happens in a way they do not like or if they are told that they are wrong. They will argue and fight before accepting and learning. And the worst part is their parents will back them up if they complain to them.
6607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/23/14
I think it's interesting how the current generation exposes the selfishness of the previous generation while still being entitled brats themselves.
585 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Center-of-US
Offline
Posted 3/23/14
I think some amount of weariness is healthy. I'll acknowledge the positives of our younger generations such as increased tolerance; I might also agree that humanity itself may not have changed much. Still, I think we should stay vigilant against humanity's potential for enslaving itself, either by technology, or economic systems, or whatever else. Thus, I think it's fair for OP to be concerned, not so much because that his generation might be better or worse in terms of their traits, but because the landscape is different today.

I don't have many specific thoughts about the OP's generation, as I don't talk to young folks... best way to not feel old From what I can tell, my generation went through similar stuff regarding the social media though.

One thing I wonder about is if the younger generations still "tinker" with stuff as much. So many objects today have microchips, so the best you can do sometimes is open a case, look at a part number, and try to order a replacement if necessary. Things like pliers, duct tape, or a hammer won't work on an iPhone (well, in a way, the hammer would work).
9897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / San Diego, CA
Online
Posted 3/23/14
The worst generation ever.....or at least until the next one.
8404 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 3/23/14 , edited 3/24/14

wisdomwearsprada wrote:


zachariakhan wrote:

Our generation is filled with puppets that are self-absorbed and ignorant. Everyone's judgemental. The word "individuality" doesn't exist anymore. Also, our generation doesn't acknowledge real music, instead they turn to mainstream entertainers who call themselves musicians.


Exactly. That's what I mean in this forum and these so-called "musicians" are just puppets. Same with the actors, well some of them. Their fans are so absorbed in their traits and they think following them is the right thing to do.


I get the temptation to reject things which are "mainstream" because it feels like you are only liking what you truly like without being affected by others. However, what if you find something that you consider "mainstream" and you actually genuinely like it? In that case, being in denial about the fact that you like it would mean that you are actually doing the opposite of what you are trying to do; it would mean that you are not liking what you truly like.

I for one do not usually listen to what most people would consider to be pop music in America, but I try to keep an open mind about all kinds of music, including what is considered to be "mainstream." Personally, I don't think anything can really be considered "mainstream." Tastes and preferences that people are too different for anything to be considered mainstream.

Also, I'm quite certain that this generation is not any better or worse than previous ones. Sure, people are mean, arrogant, and overly macho or pretentious, but that has always been the case. There are still people who are genuinely cool out there.
4215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Waterloo, Ontario
Offline
Posted 3/24/14
The current generation has to burden a large amount of student loan debt, at least in Canada and the USA.
6166 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/24/14
We need better education, but censorship isn't the answer to our problems.
12453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F
Offline
Posted 3/24/14
At least in the US Millennials are the first generation to have a lower life expectancy than their parents. It makes me feel super good. Also, frankly, the job market is much worse, and career prospects are not so good. Major in engineering, kids! There is less upward mobility, higher costs of education, living expenses, housing, etc... Our parents' generation really went on a hedonistic binge and failed to implement procedures to protect the planet, so now it is probably to late (though we should still act). Basically, things are not so good, and everyone likes to hate on young people.

But actually, I think the future is bright. Frankly, people have always been idiots. It's part of our charm. But bear in mind, Millennials are only just beginning to have political and economic power. The reins are still being held by our parents. We are not getting a very good inheritance, but I think we can do it. We are the most openminded, globally aware, and technically capable generation ever. We have all the knowledge of the ages at our fingertips, and the power to share it. And the little kids growing up now will grow up even more empowered by information than we did. I think that is a good thing.

As for the world being doomed by crappy pop music or porn or whatever. Umm, yeah. Pretty sure it would have ended a long time ago if that really mattered. Rock and roll was evil, jazz was evil, pants on ladies were evil, the list goes on. I'm pretty sure if everyone on earth decided to only wear underwear from now on, and there were orgies in the streets, the world would not end, though a number of people might get frostbite or sunburn. There are things going on in the world today that really matter. Getting distracted by this kind of thing is the truly destructive thing.
9062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/24/14

wisdomwearsprada wrote:


dragontackle wrote:

Kids these days are total douchebag swagfags. Seriously, go eavesdrop on a conversation these kids are having


Most of them live in my town and it really sucks, but there is nothing I can do about it. My school is completely filled with them and most of them sag their pants or have a snapback attached to their pants. -.- They also have piercings all over their faces.


I was going to genuinely reply to your thread till I got to this post. I've come to realize what type person you are just by these words. I grew up in a country town with old people who wear cowboy hats and deem anyone who isn't like this a threat and I'm willing to bet you fall into this same bigoted category. Not to say old people that wear cowboy hats are bigots, but I don't feel it necessary to explain myself.


So with that I bid you farewell. Good luck in all your future ventures.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.