First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Oculus Rift sold to the wrong company
7096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/26/14
I can't say I'm too happy to learn of Oculus's new daddy.

Posted 3/26/14
I bet they plan to use it for VR meeting spaces.. for business's and socializing.. so many years from the type of VR people are hoping for the more money in the game the better.
30952 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Iowa
Offline
Posted 3/26/14 , edited 3/26/14

Shavark wrote:


koji8123 wrote:


Shavark wrote:
The Oculus rift won't change. If anything it will get better.


And that's where you're wrong. I kind of wish that I was that optimistic about Facebook though.


I just don't know. what could they POSSIBLY do.

They just blew 2 Billion dollars on this. This is a lot of money to give to the oculus rift team who are still working on the project even after being bought out.


Facebook could only do so much. IF there is ever any sort of intergration with facebook There would be so much commotion that there will be an On/Off option.


a few years down the line (5-10) I could possibly see facebook allowing VR connection just like they did with webcams.

But, I mean. Really, what could that possibly do to make it worse, Shove the rift dev team more money?

Honestly, I wouldn't mind talking about it.

What would be some MAJOR cons, and some MAJOR pros.


Look at Facebook as a publisher, and the OR team as the developers. Thats how I see it anyways.


Think of Facebook like EA or Activsion. You know how money-grubby they are. You don't think Facebook will want every cent back plus profit? Facebook has Adverts ALL the time. Only reason they might not show up as much is because of adblocker plus or something. Facebook is wealthy enough to spend all those billions because of sponsors, who I can assure you will make it anything Oculus-Rift related will somehow end up with DRM's and advertisements. And worse case scenario it'll be pushed for release sooner than it's ready, and customers will pay more than it could be worth.

But just because I fear the worst doesn't mean anything bad will actually happen to it. Facebook games suck, but maybe all Facebook wants out of Oculus is a large-kickstarter like grant, to help them along and pay what they can back. And everything will be great since Oculus can hire on people that they would need with skills (which cost money) and can afford the better hardware to put into the Rift. Maybe Facebook is the misunderstood good guy here. Only time will tell.
16438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 3/26/14
What the hell is Facebook going to do with the Oculus Rift anyway?
11523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Void
Offline
Posted 3/26/14

tsun wrote:

Saw it on Roosterteeth's "Know" YouTube, and found that ti's possibly going to be used for education... I kinda resent this for some reason lol.


I agree, for some reason that concept disgusts me. I guess I just want to be able to go live in SAO or Elder Tale already.
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 3/26/14 , edited 3/26/14

pandrasb wrote:

look on the bright side, Farmville... in VR

lmao


It's like you can touch grass as it grows in real time O.O
And then get charged to watch it grow faster or grow something else
552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 3/26/14
Who knows.
508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Australier
Offline
Posted 3/26/14
The kickstarters should of been aware of the fact that the 21 year old would obviously sell the OR if they were offered a large enough sum of money. The problem here though is that it's facebook.
17297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/26/14
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDDING MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE



GG NO RE to the people who bought the dev kits....
9018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / SABER
Offline
Posted 3/26/14 , edited 3/26/14
OCULUS RIFT PORN FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


omg just imagine a Fate/ series novel game for the Rift VR or Naruto or or mass effect or star wars or something epic

i dont want it to happen but yet at the same it would be entertaining for an SAO or log horizon thing to happen



EDIT
====


FACEBOOK WOULD MAKES US PAY THOUSAND FOR US TO GET IT
9018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / SABER
Offline
Posted 3/26/14

FrostyWalrus wrote:

The kickstarters should of been aware of the fact that the 21 year old would obviously sell the OR if they were offered a large enough sum of money. The problem here though is that it's facebook.


actually if he was smart he would have made more money than he would have gotten from face book by selling it to actual consumers


508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Australier
Offline
Posted 3/26/14

Anamalous wrote:


FrostyWalrus wrote:

The kickstarters should of been aware of the fact that the 21 year old would obviously sell the OR if they were offered a large enough sum of money. The problem here though is that it's facebook.


actually if he was smart he would have made more money than he would have gotten from face book by selling it to actual consumers




He probably wasnt looking that far, although its true he would of made more. The instant 2 Billion probably seemed so good at the time though.
9018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / SABER
Offline
Posted 3/26/14

FrostyWalrus wrote:


Anamalous wrote:


FrostyWalrus wrote:

The kickstarters should of been aware of the fact that the 21 year old would obviously sell the OR if they were offered a large enough sum of money. The problem here though is that it's facebook.


actually if he was smart he would have made more money than he would have gotten from face book by selling it to actual consumers




He probably wasnt looking that far, although its true he would of made more. The instant 2 Billion probably seemed so good at the time though.


he probably didn't want to put up with the development any more

but sense he has knowledge of it now

he might make money off that somehow

maybe a spinoff machine of the rift
3156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Not a place you n...
Offline
Posted 3/27/14 , edited 3/27/14
Honestly, I never got into the Occulus Rift. One reason is because first person games tend to make me nauseous. Not when I'm just watching them, mind, but when I'm actually playing them. I don't know, I guess it's just because I know a real first person view is supposed to be showing me real things, and when I'm seeing anything less than real while trying to manipulate the environment it just sort of makes me sick (I'm looking at you, first-person shooter stages in Banjo Tooie). I also in general just prefer third-person games with characters i can actually see and have more developed personalities, ones that I can have a more vicarious experience through.

Oh, and this Retsupurae video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdQaplOI_Gg
eos 
43696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 3/27/14
If I was offered two billion for my invention I'd sell in a heartbeat too.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.