First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
ESL Forums.
Posted 3/29/14 , edited 3/29/14
As a native speaker of English I have no problem admitting that my grammar and word usage isn't always the best. Let's be honest, is there truly anyone that is a master at their own language? A few but not many. Mistakes happen especially when typing something out quickly without a lot of thought. When that happens, sometimes if not often, you can run into those who have the desire to correct you by pointing out your mistake; sometimes these people are referred to as Grammar Nazi's.

Crunchyroll is an international site and you have people from around the world who are not native English speakers yet they use the English based site. You're going to see a corruption of the English language no matter what when reading through the forums, it is unavoidable. My rhetorical question for the omnipotent corrector is; Do you feel special or better when you correct people in a non academic setting? I can see if the use of language has become so corrupted that it has become unreadable or cannot be understood but that is usually not the case.

To my real point now we bring in Western ideology and more specifically American ideology. There is the idea or misconception in the U.S.A. that the rest of the world speaks English. If it is not that thought process it is that the rest of the world should damn it. It's an elitist ideology I've encountered many times. It may not be American Elitism but it is definitely English Elitism. You better know English and know it well or shut up right? We're not talking about someone writing an academic paper for world reading, we're not talking about gaining citizenship in another country, and we're not talking about bettering the use and understanding of language as a whole. We are talking about single errors that pop up here and there.

I understand that it was possibly the Netherlands that told immigrant to learn Dutch or get out which is something I fully agree with. You move to a country, learn the language or don't come at all. The last time I checked Crunchyroll is not a sovereign state nor does it have a ratified constitution. People should pay attention and use their native languages properly but mistakes happen. Combine that with a site used by people who have varying native languages errors will happen. Don't be an English Elitist on a site that just doesn't need it.

Now, your thoughts on Grammar Nazi's

Please feel free to point out any errors above.

Let's be honest, American English is just British English with a lot of misspellings and grammar issues.
8398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / the internet
Offline
Posted 3/29/14 , edited 3/29/14
You can't blame ESL (english second language) people too much if they have some spelling and grammar mistakes.

But, if you're an English native and still don't know to differentiate your and youre, as well as their, there, theyre, then I have lost all hope for you.

With that a lot of people just say they are too lazy to type out a whole word or care for their grammar. "I'm not writing an essay, Idc if my grammar sux."

That just makes you look dumb frankly. If you're so lazy not to type a few extra letters then you have a problem.

As long as I see you trying, english native or not, I usually don't say anything. Unles u tlk like dis....

^ Brit talk < Murican speak
11523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Void
Offline
Posted 3/29/14
I'm a big Grammar Nazi, you screw up and I will correct you (though probably not on the forums). I do it not to feel better about myself, but to help the person who screwed up improve their grammar by making them feel bad. I'm a bit of a sadist, so it works out for me, and they get better grammar, it's a win win. I don't think you can get better at something without someone making you feel terrible about screwing it up, that's how I learn.
Posted 3/29/14
I never liked that condom brand much.
Posted 3/29/14 , edited 3/29/14

IndistinctCredence wrote:

I'm a bit of a sadist, so it works out for me


^ Loss of context in language.

I agree, there is a time and place to be critical of peoples use of language and writing. I also will correct people especially if they are fellow native English speakers. Your and You're or There, Their, and They're are pet peeves of mine. If I am being helpful to someone by correcting them then that's even better and worth it.
31952 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Iowa
Offline
Posted 3/29/14
(grammar swastika armband) Grammar nazis are a good thing. Lazy non-ESLs need to be corrected and have correct English grammar and spelling enforced.
9018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / SABER
Offline
Posted 3/29/14
English is a combination of every language around the world

English is the only language to take other words in other languages other than itself and give those words another meaning or the same meaning in that country
Posted 3/29/14 , edited 3/29/14

koji8123 wrote:

(grammar swastika armband) Grammar nazis are a good thing. Lazy non-ESLs need to be corrected and have correct English grammar and spelling enforced.


Why are you doing it though? Are you doing it for yourself because you feel agitated when others make errors or purposefully corrupt language? Is it that or are you truly helping the person understand the errors and to be more respectful and educated of their own language. If that point isn't reaching them then it doesn't matter how much you correct them.


Anamalous wrote:

English is a combination of every language around the world

English is the only language to take other words in other languages other than itself and give those words another meaning or the same meaning in that country


That's not really true and English is a Germanic language. Listen to very old English, it sounds a lot like German. All languages borrow words from others, it's part of living in a society with a globalizing nature. Many Japanese love using English words and remember there is an entire segment in the Japanese language of Japanese-English terms.
31952 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Iowa
Offline
Posted 3/29/14

-Gothique- wrote:


koji8123 wrote:

(grammar swastika armband) Grammar nazis are a good thing. Lazy non-ESLs need to be corrected and have correct English grammar and spelling enforced.


Why are you doing it though? Are you doing it for yourself because you feel agitated when others make errors or purposefully corrupt language? Is it that or are you truly helping the person understand the errors and to be more respectful and educated of their own language. If that point isn't reaching them then it doesn't matter how much you correct them.


More for myself, I'd have to say. Little errors like "I didn't enjyo the fox show." isn't all that bad, because you can clearly see from their use of didn't that they're trying to use correct grammar, and must have mistyped. When it's on purpose such as "sup gurrrrl, wanna hang? 2 bad u aint got swag" for example, then it's pure anger and contempt. When English is a second language, I'd like to help them improve, if they're trying, because last thing I'd want is for them to learn off the inbred stupid lazy little people who shouldn't be typing the way they type. Hopefully that clarifies a little bit.
2551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / space
Offline
Posted 3/29/14
TL;DR
Posted 3/29/14

koji8123 wrote:


-Gothique- wrote:


koji8123 wrote:

(grammar swastika armband) Grammar nazis are a good thing. Lazy non-ESLs need to be corrected and have correct English grammar and spelling enforced.


Why are you doing it though? Are you doing it for yourself because you feel agitated when others make errors or purposefully corrupt language? Is it that or are you truly helping the person understand the errors and to be more respectful and educated of their own language. If that point isn't reaching them then it doesn't matter how much you correct them.


More for myself, I'd have to say. Little errors like "I didn't enjyo the fox show." isn't all that bad, because you can clearly see from their use of didn't that they're trying to use correct grammar, and must have mistyped. When it's on purpose such as "sup gurrrrl, wanna hang? 2 bad u aint got swag" for example, then it's pure anger and contempt. When English is a second language, I'd like to help them improve, if they're trying, because last thing I'd want is for them to learn off the inbred stupid lazy little people who shouldn't be typing the way they type. Hopefully that clarifies a little bit.


I h8 that 2 and yes it clarifies thank you.
Posted 3/29/14 , edited 3/29/14
Sorry for the double post. Wanted to keep this separate.

Old English - All native English speakers, this is what your modern language was born from.

The Wanderer (In Old-English) Anglo-Saxon

Parts sound a little German don't they? Just a little.
1299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 3/29/14 , edited 3/29/14
I don't mind grammatical errors much, especially when it's apparently unintentional. However, when people start using words that sound alike but actually mean something else entirely different, then I start having problems.

For example, when using 'brake' instead of 'break', the context of the entire sentence could be seen as something else entirely.

    "I can't break this." - When one cannot dismantle something.
    "I can't brake this." - When one cannot stop a moving object.

There are many other examples of this but this is the first thing that came to mind.

Also, another thing that annoys me is seeing grammatical errors (mostly spelling) in a professional landscape. Like seeing 'receive' misspelled as 'recieve'. You would think that the editor would have at least corrected it before putting the ads out into the public.
552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 3/29/14
I love Grammar Nazi. They're the best people in this world. I love it when they correct my grammar mistake because I'm an ESL. Certainly, I don't care as along they found my grammar mistake and fixed it, so in the future, I will know that grammar mistake and improve my writing skills better.
Gets It.
24767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Raleigh, North Ca...
Online
Posted 3/29/14 , edited 3/29/14
When I was younger, I found myself going through the adversity of being a self-proclaimed "Grammar Nazi". Why, you ask? Mostly because I felt, at the time, that it was required that people should be fully capable of speaking their native language ("Mother Tongue"). Some would argue that you're educating the masses by doing so; however, you're actually causing more strife and confusion for the individual by attempting to do so. As you've stated, Gothique: There are very few who are masters of their own language. I could, quite easily, pick out flaws in every, single, response that's been posted thus far. Hell, I can even find fault in my own post (and I haven't even finished posting it yet!).

If you attempt to follow the grammar usage that you're taught within the school system, you're going to make mistakes. The English language, in and of itself, is a redundancy. We've already addressed that it's an Anglo-Saxon, Germanic language - to make things more annoying, we've decided that there are branches of our own language based on location. Obviously, that's the progression of many languages. You start with one form and, because people have relocated and developed their own words/rules, it becomes another language. "American" English versus "British" English both have mistakes in them. For example, English is a context clue-driven language (for the most part); yet, at the same time, "British" English has the word "tyre" in it (for wheels on a vehicle). At the same time, "American" English simply has "tire/s" for differentiating of meaning, as well as allowing for flexibility with context clues.

What I'm trying to say is:

TL;DR Mode:
--- Your English is horrible. My English is horrible.
--- Don't moan about the grammar or spelling of other people online, as it has become acceptable (by all means) to type "howeva u wnt 2".
--- Yeah.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.