First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Watching subbed anime in Japan?
15022 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/31/14
I'll be living in Japan for a year pretty soon here and I'd like to watch anime while I'm there. I know I can't watch Crunchyroll while in Japan so I'm wondering where I can watch subbed anime while I'm there! Yes, I do know Japanese but it'd be a lot easier and natural for me to have it subbed. I don't know Japanese nearly as well as I know my native language, English. I don't want to torrent/download because the downloading laws are so scary in Japan and I'd really rather not take the risk. If anyone knows where I can watch some high quality subbed anime while I'm in Japan it'd help soooo much! Thanks!
104119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 3/31/14
My stop in Akihabara allowed me to find this in one of its stores.

How they got this? I do not know. You can always ask them.
8319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 3/31/14
Just torrent. The laws are there to be seen, not to be used.

Alternatively you could buy DVDs and download subs, but DVDs in Japan are disgustingly expensive. 2 episodes and no extras on a single DVD can go for $80.
32346 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 3/31/14
TV anime isn't subbed in Japan your best bet is to use Ebay and buy DVD's from the UK since they have the same region as Japan you can watch them over there but you are screwed if you want anime showing on TV currently or stuff that is brand new. Anime is a huge niche in Japan and to make a profit they sell their DVD's at hugely inflated prices which make them really not worth it. Blu Ray boxed sets sell for like $1000
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/31/14
I say watch without subs! If you're there for a year it will only help your Japanese, right? You want to be able to speak to people, right???

I don't need subs but I'll do an experiment when I'm next there to see if Daisuki works from Japan. That won't get you many shows but it would be something if it works.

They are really cracking down on uploaders in Japan right now so I certainly wouldn't upload anything to torrents if I were you. Downloads they probably don't really care yet but ... who knows.
51832 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 3/31/14 , edited 3/31/14
Try a vpn.
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/31/14

hpulley wrote:

I say watch without subs! If you're there for a year it will only help your Japanese, right? You want to be able to speak to people, right???

I don't need subs but I'll do an experiment when I'm next there to see if Daisuki works from Japan. That won't get you many shows but it would be something if it works.

They are really cracking down on uploaders in Japan right now so I certainly wouldn't upload anything to torrents if I were you. Downloads they probably don't really care yet but ... who knows.



You lucky SOB!!!
16267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 3/31/14 , edited 3/31/14
Yea get smartdns and access content from another location.
The Wise Wizard
100969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 3/31/14

qualeshia3 wrote:

You lucky SOB!!!

I envy his ability, but when I think about the time it would take to learn Japanese well enough to do that, I think "Nope, I'm good".

11742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 3/31/14
I don't know, It only takes 2.5years to be fluent at listening to anime without rushing according to some estimates from JALUP. That is, if your procedure is solid.
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/31/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

You lucky SOB!!!

I envy his ability, but when I think about the time it would take to learn Japanese well enough to do that, I think "Nope, I'm good".



It requires an obsession IMO. I certainly qualify as obsessed with Japanese. Years and thousands of hours but all very enjoyable time. Using it for work inside and outside of Japan. Reading manga and novels. Watching anime and live action. Almost every waking moment for years is all you need...
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/31/14


I know right! I mean I still want to learn Japanese but German comes first..........................before Russian.
38743 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 3/31/14
If all else fails you could always take some DVDs/Blu-rays with you?

And a player of course.
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/31/14

kuuderes_shadow wrote:

If all else fails you could always take some DVDs/Blu-rays with you?

And a player of course.


Or buy some while you're there !
11742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 3/31/14

hpulley wrote:


TheAncientOne wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

You lucky SOB!!!

I envy his ability, but when I think about the time it would take to learn Japanese well enough to do that, I think "Nope, I'm good".



It requires an obsession IMO. I certainly qualify as obsessed with Japanese. Years and thousands of hours but all very enjoyable time. Using it for work inside and outside of Japan. Reading manga and novels. Watching anime and live action. Almost every waking moment for years is all you need...


Well, I certainly don't know how to obsess myself with a language lol.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.