First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Engrish
11738 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 4/3/14 , edited 4/3/14
I find Engrish funnier than it is embarrassing. I can't take Engrish songs though.
5992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/3/14 , edited 4/3/14
At first it was totally confusing.
After years of constant use and practice (and lots of eiken tests), I've learned that English is the enemy of mankind.
I am forced to use it because I moved to America.
45489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/3/14 , edited 4/3/14

tsun wrote:

At first it was totally confusing.
After years of constant use and practice (and lots of eiken tests), I've learned that English is the enemy of mankind.
I am forced to use it because I moved to America.


All your base are belong to us.
11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Online
Posted 4/3/14
Living in Yorkshire everyday, where the English language is already butchered beyond belief, I honestly don't mind it. Though I do find it funny in anime where a character claims to be from somewhere like England or somewhere in America, but due to having a Japanese voice actor speaks English with a very strong Japanese accent anyway.

Also, because reasons:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exyMAumtgt8
Sogno- 
45736 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/3/14
well i don't really care about people mocking the language or having difficulties because it's not their first language, or even dialect differences (I'm from the US South) but the "ghetto" or "street", whatever it's technically called, way of talking really bugs me. Just the other day at work a girl pulled up and said, "Iz people n'dere?" I had to ask her twice to repeat, and I finally I asked, "Do you mean, 'Are there people in there' ?" ... took all my brain power to figure out that one haha

although i WILL say the redneck and the mountain ways of talking are hilarious to hear
5992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/3/14 , edited 4/3/14

Phersu wrote:


tsun wrote:

At first it was totally confusing.
After years of constant use and practice (and lots of eiken tests), I've learned that English is the enemy of mankind.
I am forced to use it because I moved to America.


All your base are belong to us.


You're lucky you don't have eyes. That was terribly painful to look at.
4551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Canada eh
Offline
Posted 4/3/14
It's so annoying when people can't tell the difference between your and you're. I can understand if the English language is your second language, but if it's your first, you should be slapped with a brick. It drives me nuts.
45025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 4/3/14
As long as they are not deliberately speaking Engrish I dont see a problem.
After all Japanese sounds completely different from the English sounds. so twisting and turning your mouth to try and imitate English is easier said that done.

Furthtermore I dont really find it fair to criticise their attempts, English speakers trying to speaks Japanese sounds far more cringeworthy in my opinion.

Just to clarify, I am not a native english speaker, but I'm pretty sure my Japanese pronouncitaion is quite cringeworthy as well
45489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/3/14

tsun wrote:


Phersu wrote:


tsun wrote:

At first it was totally confusing.
After years of constant use and practice (and lots of eiken tests), I've learned that English is the enemy of mankind.
I am forced to use it because I moved to America.


All your base are belong to us.


You're lucky you don't have eyes. That was terribly painful to look at.


Just having fun at your expense.
9805 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 4/3/14
As long as I understand what's being said, I usually don't mind it and/or I find it amusing. I do possess some Grammar-Nazi tendencies, but they seldom extend beyond myself. I sometimes accidentally slip into speaking Engrish if I hear it long enough, though that also applies to many other accents and dialects. I try to catch myself in public, because I don't want to unintentionally mock anyone. Fortunately, it nearly always occurs when I'm watching shows in the privacy of my own home.
20813 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / California
Offline
Posted 4/3/14
If you are a foriegner/non-native english speaker, It's fine at least they are trying. However if you have been speaking English for most of your life and it is your primary language, I would hope you could at least put together an intelligent sentence.
5992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/3/14

Din0cheap wrote:

As long as they are not deliberately speaking Engrish I dont see a problem.
After all Japanese sounds completely different from the English sounds. so twisting and turning your mouth to try and imitate English is easier said that done.

Furthtermore I dont really find it fair to criticise their attempts, English speakers trying to speaks Japanese sounds far more cringeworthy in my opinion.

Just to clarify, I am not a native english speaker, but I'm pretty sure my Japanese pronouncitaion is quite cringeworthy as well


A couple of my American buddies pick up Japanese pretty well, even though I bet they just imitate what I say in terms of speaking..with the exception of their mispronunciation of "manga."

As for trying to imitate English, I just don't try anymore lol. I do try, however, to copy my girlfriend's accent. Of all the hours I've clocked in speaking English, 99% of it has either been to my girlfriend or for tests. 99% and decreasing..

It's not a grammar problem, more an accent problem..
Posted 4/3/14 , edited 4/3/14
personally tired of people making fun of other people's English accent...




Unless you can learn a second language and get the accent perfect... then you don't really have a ground to stand on... without sounding hypocritical... (and it's even worse from people who are monolingual).


at least I can brag that I'm bilingual... even though my English is far from perfect

5992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/3/14 , edited 4/3/14


love this gif
Posted 4/3/14 , edited 4/12/14
Iz sexy, no?

^ what?

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.