First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Why So Much "Hatred" For Shinji Ikari?
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 4/3/14

cay032692 wrote:


Haha basically showing what everyone keeps saying, he is too "real", and most anime watchers dont want to see "real" or be reminded of how pathetic their life can/is/ or will be


No need to flame.
Want me to get the mods?
81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 4/3/14 , edited 4/3/14
My answer is: Why not?
52873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 4/3/14 , edited 4/3/14

Des85 wrote:


cay032692 wrote:


Haha basically showing what everyone keeps saying, he is too "real", and most anime watchers dont want to see "real" or be reminded of how pathetic their life can/is/ or will be


No need to flame.
Want me to get the mods?


LOL what? flame? where was there flaming? you said you got enough of realism, i.e nonsense being real or annoying or insignificant, in RL, and that's why you do not need to watch anime, or any media for it, and I am saying yes, that is what most are getting at, people hate the guy for being just that, being pathetic, whinny and being a realistic insignificant being. But I guess feel free to call mods?
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 4/3/14 , edited 4/3/14

cay032692 wrote:


LOL what? flame? where was there flaming? you said you got enough of realism, i.e nonsense being real or annoying or insignificant, in RL, and that's why you do not need to watch anime, or any media for it, and I am saying yes, that is what most are getting at, people hate the guy for being just that, being pathetic, whinny and being a realistic insignificant being. But I guess feel free to call mods?


"how pathetic their life can/is/ or will be"

I didn't say anything about being pathetic. I just said I get enough of whining irl.

You don't say such things to people dammit!
How would you feel if someone called your life pathetic and such? When it's not that?
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 4/3/14

CoffeeGodEddy wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:

I don't see any validation in it if you take in the full aspect of his character and all that. Thoughts?


You have seen NGE right? ._.


Of course I have. I've also seen Death & Rebirth, End of Evangelion, the Rebuild films, and read the manga. Your point?
16095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Lake Elsinore, CA
Offline
Posted 4/3/14

sonic720 wrote:

People see their own human weaknesses in Shinji and crucify him over it... but that was the entire point of his character and the anime.


Pretty much what this person said, other than that he's a pretty realistic character to me. I mean who IRL would want to go through the things he did?
52873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 4/3/14

Des85 wrote:


cay032692 wrote:


LOL what? flame? where was there flaming? you said you got enough of realism, i.e nonsense being real or annoying or insignificant, in RL, and that's why you do not need to watch anime, or any media for it, and I am saying yes, that is what most are getting at, people hate the guy for being just that, being pathetic, whinny and being a realistic insignificant being. But I guess feel free to call mods?


"how pathetic their life can/is/ or will be"

I didn't say anything about being pathetic. I just said I get enough of whining irl.

You don't say such things to people dammit!
How would you feel if someone called your life pathetic and such? When it's not that?


First part I said "their" not "your" I don't know you nor do I have the right to assume anything about you....second "can/is/ or will be", I placed the CAN first beacuse life cant get pretty shitty at a moment notice so it can be pathetic? IS if they are already in that state, and Will be if they are already heading there and don't want to be reminded of it. As to being offended by it,
70040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/3/14 , edited 4/3/14
First, I respect the right of anyone to hate Shinji and NGE. That's fine. Perspective matters in these cases, as well as what the person wants to get out of their viewing experience (that's why I'll still recommend Code Geass to people who I think might enjoy it, even though personally it's my most-hated anime). NGE is a particularly specialized toolkit, if someone's just looking to enjoy an adolescent power fantasy and have a good time it's pretty obviously the wrong one.

However, I have little to no respect for anyone who damns the series for existing for that reason.

Related:

Insomnist wrote:

I've spoken against Shinji Hate before as well. He's a character that attacks the audience by not giving them a superficial, vicarious power fantasy like you'd get from nearly any other anime. That makes him great, not pathetic.

Shinji's a window, not a door; and that makes people uncomfortable because you can't avoid seeing part of your own reflection. I don't have a problem with escapist fantasy, I like Dog Days. But it's not the only thing fiction is capable of.

(My two cents in Shinji's defense.)


qualeshia3 wrote:

Pretty much these characters are Mary Sue, Gary Stu, Weak, Happy-go-lucky, Lack personality, Annoying, or etc.

Judging by some these comments, most of you want characters that feel human as possible. Even in the fictional world, you want someone to relate to.

I think it might be more appropriate to say we want characters who speak to us as individuals, so we'll all have different lists of who the best and worst characters out there are. Shinji, coincidentally, being an amazing example of this.

I could buy into an incredibly cheap character so long as they chime that one note I want to hear, but the more flawed a character is (or the more narrow their appeal in general), the fewer the people who will think they're good.

(I bet you could generate an accurate psychological profile based on which anime characters someone likes or hates.)


Insomnist wrote:

I don't understand Shinji-hate. I rewatched NGE last month and I still don't understand it. Shinji's a hard-pressed young man conscripted to experience horror over and over and over again, and every day on the internet he gets his balls busted because he won't let nerds vicariously enjoy some completely generic, adolescent power fantasy. As if there weren't THOUSANDS of other anime that can be watched for that. Sure, that makes him easy to hate. But inversely that just means I have that much less respect for the people who hate him. ESPECIALLY in 3.33, where he

...

It's a stupid hate train people have been riding on for close to two decades and I hope it wrecks.

So I can point and laugh at the fireball.

/end_rant
Vyrkin 
15564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/3/14
I don't hate shinji I just hate how he is the opposite of the type of main character I like. Where as I prefer and can more easily relate to the stoic type shinji is busy crying and whining.
11034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/3/14

Shin-Nrl wrote:


GoldTStar wrote:

^Lol there's your answer.


You don't need to finish a series to know that its main character is childish and crybaby


You obviously don't understand the concept of character development.
6607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/3/14
Either we were supposed to feel sympathy towards Shinji and that completely backfired, or Shinji was supposed to be a detestable character by being a really bad sympathetic character. Either way it didn't work for me, as I found him to be illogically passive and didn't feel anything for him. Even if the latter was true, it doesn't make him a good character.

(I'm omitting Rebuild because it's pretty clear that Khara doesn't want us to know what's going on at this point.)
70040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/3/14 , edited 4/3/14
Shinji isn't sympathetic or detestable, he's both, because he's human. And he spends a lot less time on screen bitching and whining than people think. Mostly he's just being a quiet introvert, which I hope we can agree is not a "bad" thing.

And something else, for close to half the series he's committed to the program. He has reservations, but he's working is ass off to fight the angels while putting up with Asuka. He breaks when his father forces him to kill his best friend.

If that's not a justified emotional breakdown, what the hell is.
29037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/3/14
Because he has no redeeming character development. He never changes. The proper word for that is a "static" character. These type of characters are at best boring. Considering he's so obnoxious explains why critics are so unforgiving towards his behavior. If he did develop and grow even a bit, he wouldn't be so hated. Example (and be perfectly honest) how many of you hated Sai (naruto) when he first appeared? He became tolerated fairly quickly because there is more to him than his insults and his "angst" didn't define him, it's how he dealt with his past define him.
50983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 4/3/14 , edited 4/3/14

GoldTStar wrote:

Someone once said it was because they see themselves in him...lol

I honestly don't know why people HATE Shinji though. I've seen characters that people should be up in arms for because of their cowardice, but a 14-year old kid thrown into a battle against angels by a father who never cared much for him gets hated on...

Personally, i love that shounen. I think him being afraid was great on a psychological aspect but even being afraid he toughed it out and got the job done most of the time.


I honestly think it's because he's the point character of a very divisive show.

To me personally, he fails both directions. He's not a pleasant self-insertion character, and the nature of his situation and his reactions make him utterly unbelievable. He seems relatable, but he's really not.

Still though, I think the hate is based on the general rage people have at NGE. He's just milquetoasty enough to easily misdirect the hate to.

(As to me, I'm not a fan, but he's not even on my 10 worst protagonists.)

edit:


Insomnist wrote:

He breaks when his father forces him to kill his best friend.
.
If that's not a justified emotional breakdown, what the hell is.


That to me is part of the problem (but maybe with the series not the character) something that absurdly overwrought pretty much kills any relatability a character might have.
70040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/3/14

windsagio wrote:

That to me is part of the problem (but maybe with the series not the character) something that absurdly overwrought pretty much kills any relatability a character might have.

I don't think it's any more overwrought than similar celebrated scenes in classical literature like Frankenstein, Ivanhoe, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Last of the Mohicans, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, etc.

Even the backstory of Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, who reminds me strikingly of Gendo.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.