First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Xenophobia
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14

Khaltazar wrote:

Countries like Japan for example could show some hatred because we did bomb them during WWII even though they started it, some people probably still hold hatred to all Americans for that.


Japan needs to fess up , admit and teach their horrendous War Crimes first and foremost before anything else.

50394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Balmer, Murlin
Offline
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14
There's never any justifiable reason to hate someone purely because of where they came from. You can hate a particular government all you want, or a particular action of that government, but don't hate an entire nationality.

Saying "Americans are stupid" is very general and off base. Saying "the American government's decision to go to war in Iraq was stupid because..." or "the American education system is stupid because..." is much more precise and doesn't discriminate. It's also always a good idea to explain yourself as clearly as possible so as not to be misunderstood.
11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
I don't like it when used seriously, but it does make for some pretty funny jokes.
28029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
? / ? / ?
Offline
Posted 4/7/14

SoldierSangria wrote:


Khaltazar wrote:

Countries like Japan for example could show some hatred because we did bomb them during WWII even though they started it, some people probably still hold hatred to all Americans for that.


Japan needs to fess up , admit and teach their horrendous War Crimes first and foremost before anything else.



Japan is a country, not a person, it cant fess up to anything because it has many different types of people living there, so some of those people may understand what they did was wrong, and they want to repent, and others may not feel that way. And if you say that because the government of Japan represents Japan so they are the ones who should admit their wrongs I would agree to you to a point, except for the fact that the government doesnt always accurately portrays its people, one reason being that no politician ever wins unanimously, and other being that the government will always have corruption in it, so the representation itself becomes corrupt and doesnt righteously represents the country it is supposed to.

Just noticing now, but you're saying teach their war crimes. No offense, but NO COUNTRY (that I know of) does that, why would a country want to (metaphorically) wipe sh** all of their own face? Also its not like Japan has prevented their civilians of looking up the war crimes, so if the Japanese wanted to they could easily look up their war crimes and look reality in the face. Not only that but what would teaching these war crimes to anyone do? It wouldn't help anything at all, its not like Japan has its own military anyway, so even being taught their own crimes wouldnt prevent them from committing anymore, they cant anyways. Honestly I believe that people should just stop bringing up these types of topics about how countrys are so bad because of their previous crimes, the people who were in charge have already been taken out and theyre not doing anything bad right now, so why not just forgive and forget about the things those people didnt even do? Basically I dont think its fair if someone is blamed for when their grandparents do something bad, if my grandpa was a murder that doesnt make me a murder, and I wouldnt want to be treated that way, but if I was treating other people bad for what their grandparents did I dont think it would be fair to judge my brothers and sisters and call them hypocrites because of something I said.
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14

KarasuEL wrote:


SoldierSangria wrote:


Khaltazar wrote:

Countries like Japan for example could show some hatred because we did bomb them during WWII even though they started it, some people probably still hold hatred to all Americans for that.


Japan needs to fess up , admit and teach their horrendous War Crimes first and foremost before anything else.



Japan is a country, not a person, it cant fess up to anything because it has many different types of people living there, so some of those people may understand what they did was wrong, and they want to repent, and others may not feel that way. And if you say that because the government of Japan represents Japan so they are the ones who should admit their wrongs I would agree to you to a point, except for the fact that the government doesnt always accurately portrays its people, one reason being that no politician ever wins unanimously, and other being that the government will always have corruption in it, so the representation itself becomes corrupt and doesnt righteously represents the country it is supposed to.

Just noticing now, but you're saying teach their war crimes. No offense, but NO COUNTRY (that I know of) does that, why would a country want to (metaphorically) wipe sh** all of their own face? Also its not like Japan has prevented their civilians of looking up the war crimes, so if the Japanese wanted to they could easily look up their war crimes and look reality in the face. Not only that but what would teaching these war crimes to anyone do? It wouldn't help anything at all, its not like Japan has its own military anyway, so even being taught their own crimes wouldnt prevent them from committing anymore, they cant anyways. Honestly I believe that people should just stop bringing up these types of topics about how countrys are so bad because of their previous crimes, the people who were in charge have already been taken out and theyre not doing anything bad right now, so why not just forgive and forget about the things those people didnt even do? Basically I dont think its fair if someone is blamed for when their grandparents do something bad, if my grandpa was a murder that doesnt make me a murder, and I wouldnt want to be treated that way, but if I was treating other people bad for what their grandparents did I dont think it would be fair to judge my brothers and sisters and call them hypocrites because of something I said.


Japan is a different case. For instance, Japan does not allow any movie that shows even a little of their war crimes to be shown in Japan. An example would be The Last Emperor - a scene alluding to The Rape of Nanking was cut without the director's consent. But of course, Japan wants movies like Grave of the Fireflies to be available everywhere.

There are countries that teach a bit of their crimes in their schools, but even if they don't (or not enough) there are books available, movies made, etc. about these issues that their own country has made. Germany's made movies about their treatment of Jews, WW2, Nazism. America's made movies against their war in Vietnam, their oppression of Natives, Slavery, etc. Australia has made movies about their treatment of the Aborigines. A ton of countries have made movies, written books, have information and admittance about how they did wrong to others.

When has Japan ever made a movie about what they did during the war? When has Japan ever written a book about what they did? No, all Japan has done was make books and movies and mangas about how they suffered during the war - not an inkling about what cruelties they inflicted upon others. They always play the innocent card - which is a big joke.

American and other foreign teachers in Japan have all remarked upon the lack of information pertaining to these events being available to the public in Japan. These can be watched on Youtube if you do not believe me.

All countries hurt and harm each other. No country is innocent whatsoever. But Japan is the only country where they've tried to hide such a massive event of cruelty to this day. Today's Japanese people shouldn't be blamed of course. But they should be taught. They should know.

If Japan can go on and on about what others did to them, and make sure their students are taught that - then they should also teach what they did. Because what Japan did to others (China, Korea, Asia, treatment of POW's from all over the world, human experimentation, rapes, cruel killings, millions of murders) would make Nazi Germany look like child's play.

If Japan can keep going on and on about how they suffered and allude to it in mangas, anime, etc. , if Japan's important leaders can go visit their war dead, if Japan can still bring up Hiroshima, Nagasaki and the firebombings of Tokyo - then we have to keep going on and on about their War Crimes.

Japan has no excuse.
3156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Not a place you n...
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
Xenophobia is just an excuse to act like a jerk to a large number people you hold irrational hatred for. Generalizing a whole group based upon the actions of a relatively few amount of people is never right.
9897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / San Diego, CA
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” - Mark Twain
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14
I don't blame xenophobic people/countries. We're all ass holes at war.

But to blame a whole country of people for only few powerful peoples decisions is pretty horrendous.
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14
Everyone's an asshole.
28029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
? / ? / ?
Offline
Posted 4/8/14


First I have to say that if you think you can change anything at all related to Japan's denial of war crimes on this website you are wrong. If you think complaining about their war crimes on this website will somehow affect any of the history text books in Japan you are wrong. If you want to complain so badly go into politics become a world leader and tell Japan's prime minister to their face, if you dont want to do that then send a letter to Japan, you wont get anywhere by posting your complaints on English-speaking websites, go to a Japanese blog and post your opinion there, because you posting your complaint here wont do anything at all so there's almost no point to doing it at all. Honestly Im a bit grateful because I didnt know about the Nanjing massacre before you posted that annoying photo on this forum, but I have relatives in Japan, and Ive met a couple Japanese people who are all great people, but yet Ive never heard any of them complain about the bombings of Japan, in fact they like America, my grandma even moved here regardless of the fact that America bombed them. When you keep saying Japan is denying war crimes and bitching about America I am inclined to disagree because not all of Japan is like that. The person who denied the war crimes is Shinzo Abe and some of the other top executives in the Japanese government, to judge an entire country because of a few figureheads is downright wrong. Also unless you were really in Korea or China during Japans occupation then I dont believe you have the right to talk about Japan's wrongdoings, you dont know what they did, you didnt experience the pain that those people did, but you have the right to talk about the pain those people felt as if it was your own? If you dont know there pain dont talk about as if you do, thats disrespectful in its own right, and besides hate only creates hate, right? Im sorry if I am disrespectful in any way but I dont think you have any right to speak of anyone's pain but your own.

Germany has a law that stops them from the denial of the Holocaust and not just the denial of the Holocaust but many other things related to the Holocaust because of what Hitler had done. If you honestly believe that if Germany wouldnt make any attempts to deny the Holocaust if they didnt have those laws in place then you are mistaken. Also Im sure you noticed this but how is any Japanese person supposed to talk about the warcrimes of Japan if they were never taught it, they are ignorant of it they dont try to ignore it they were never taught it, so when they make movies about Hiroshima, and the Tokyo Firebombings, and dont make movies about Nanjing thats because they dont know about Nanjing, they dont know about those war crimes, right? Because the government was allowed to they completely denied the existence of those war crimes, and as long as there is no proof you can shove in Abe's face, he will continue to deny the existence of those war crimes. Who knows maybe Abe doesnt even know about the war crimes, and to his knowledge Nanjing didnt happen, a long long time ago Egypt used to keep record of all of their wars except for all their losses, so when a historian found information from other countries writing about the defeat of Egypt they were unable to find any records of their loss in Egypts own database, so perhaps Japan never kept track of their war crimes, so Abe may not have any records pertaining to the war crimes (although I highly doubt that and hes probably just taking advantage of the fact that he can deny those crimes).

Japan's People do have an excuse, you said it yourself.
28244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 4/8/14
I think Xenophobia is a word often used to label people with legitimate concerns. However, true xenophobia is the same as any other phobia; which are, by definition, unreasonable and not based on any factual information. For example, I'm afraid of spiders. There's no legitimate reason and I know that over 90% of spiders on earth are completely harmless to humans. They're still scary as crap though.
17761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 4/8/14
as far as japan fessing up, arnt most of that generation dead?

and nuking japan acutally saved lives.

look at saipan and the mass citizen suicides. it was not just the military that held death over capture, it was the entire nation.

as for wars, no one wins, no one is really 'good'. operation paperclip? can you imagine what the world what would have thought?

unit 731 was pretty evil. but then again most nation have done simular things at one point or another. (tho the scale varies greatly, as well as the ammount of backing.)

im just saying there really is no good in war, its all bad.
21016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32
Offline
Posted 4/8/14
"fear" could be to keep peace(and if so it's good thing), but "dislike" could be caused by weak personality, like being jealous or something like that
18972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/8/14 , edited 4/8/14


Clearly the poster aimed the 'fessing' up towards the nation of Japan, as in the government of Japan. And yes, no country bashes their civilians over the head with their war crimes. However, Japan is pretty great (their government) at pointing fingers at barbaric acts other countries commit while thinking of their crimes as a 'bad dream'. Not all Japan citizens do this. For one, the famed animator Hayao Miyazaki is very critical on the government of Japan not admitting to war crimes. So you and your butthurt post can quit being butthurt.

Also (not aimed at the above poster), to just add, it is very easy (and cowardly) for anyone to look back and sneer at the atom bombs the US invented and eventually dropped. Of course, the people who do this sit safe at home in their computer chairs weighing 600 pounds. The reason they can do that is in part to those atom bombs.

Edit: To add even further, America does discuss (and even has month) detailing our national shame: slavery. We were the idiot country who preached independence and enslaved a race. And from what I studied, my history book at least covered two or three chapters of that abomination of an idiotic period.
21016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32
Offline
Posted 4/8/14

chao_mein wrote:

Everyone's an asshole.


"Everyone have something to fear and something to dislike." FTFY
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.