First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Xenophobia
28029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
? / ? / ?
Offline
Posted 4/8/14 , edited 4/8/14


Right, I grew up in America learning that, but I forgot, it was in my head but... Oops? But about that, America has no ability to deny that, if they did every single African American could easily vouch for it happening, plus America is a relatively new country so because of the more modern morals we have not really done as bad actions as other countries. Japan, on the other hand, did not commit war crimes on their own citizens. I was butt hurt but according to the person I was quoting they mentioned Isao Takahata's animation Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies) and how Takahata had been whining and trying to emphasize the pain of WWII for Japanese, which as far as I know Takahata is not a government official. Also I hope I dont stir up any bad emotions but really slavery was not at all idiotic, it was an abominaton, but it was not stupid, in the same way Hitler was smart, but he was a repugnant annoying person. Slavery boosted the economy by making prices cheaper, without raising taxes, this way people could spend their money and get a lot out of it. I dont support slavery (or Hitler) in any way, shape or form, but I cant consider it idiotic.
I will be butt hurt if I want to be.

Also thanks for telling me that, I think I might have had the wrong idea about their post now, so thanks for correcting me.
18972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/8/14 , edited 4/8/14


I, in all honesty, gave up on your post when you said slavery wasn't idiotic. I could put you in lock and chains, keep you in the basement of my house, and make you cut my grass for free every month. Technically, it is a smart business decision. But considering I stand for justice, equality, and freedom, I am an idiot if I do that. I did like your funny pic but no cookie for you or your post. No reply/debate either, your post doesn't deserve one. Good day.
4038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 4/8/14
Personally, I think it's rather sad. When you think about it, countries are just pieces of land you build your house on, and work. So, all that stuff is pretty meaningless. So what if your house is on this piece of land or that! We're all human; we're all capable of emotion, thought, reason, and creativity. Regardless of how we look.
Posted 4/8/14 , edited 4/8/14

KarasuEL wrote:



First I have to say that if you think you can change anything at all related to Japan's denial of war crimes on this website you are wrong. If you think complaining about their war crimes on this website will somehow affect any of the history text books in Japan you are wrong. If you want to complain so badly go into politics become a world leader and tell Japan's prime minister to their face, if you dont want to do that then send a letter to Japan, you wont get anywhere by posting your complaints on English-speaking websites, go to a Japanese blog and post your opinion there, because you posting your complaint here wont do anything at all so there's almost no point to doing it at all. Honestly Im a bit grateful because I didnt know about the Nanjing massacre before you posted that annoying photo on this forum, but I have relatives in Japan, and Ive met a couple Japanese people who are all great people, but yet Ive never heard any of them complain about the bombings of Japan, in fact they like America, my grandma even moved here regardless of the fact that America bombed them. When you keep saying Japan is denying war crimes and bitching about America I am inclined to disagree because not all of Japan is like that. The person who denied the war crimes is Shinzo Abe and some of the other top executives in the Japanese government, to judge an entire country because of a few figureheads is downright wrong. Also unless you were really in Korea or China during Japans occupation then I dont believe you have the right to talk about Japan's wrongdoings, you dont know what they did, you didnt experience the pain that those people did, but you have the right to talk about the pain those people felt as if it was your own? If you dont know there pain dont talk about as if you do, thats disrespectful in its own right, and besides hate only creates hate, right? Im sorry if I am disrespectful in any way but I dont think you have any right to speak of anyone's pain but your own.

Germany has a law that stops them from the denial of the Holocaust and not just the denial of the Holocaust but many other things related to the Holocaust because of what Hitler had done. If you honestly believe that if Germany wouldnt make any attempts to deny the Holocaust if they didnt have those laws in place then you are mistaken. Also Im sure you noticed this but how is any Japanese person supposed to talk about the warcrimes of Japan if they were never taught it, they are ignorant of it they dont try to ignore it they were never taught it, so when they make movies about Hiroshima, and the Tokyo Firebombings, and dont make movies about Nanjing thats because they dont know about Nanjing, they dont know about those war crimes, right? Because the government was allowed to they completely denied the existence of those war crimes, and as long as there is no proof you can shove in Abe's face, he will continue to deny the existence of those war crimes. Who knows maybe Abe doesnt even know about the war crimes, and to his knowledge Nanjing didnt happen, a long long time ago Egypt used to keep record of all of their wars except for all their losses, so when a historian found information from other countries writing about the defeat of Egypt they were unable to find any records of their loss in Egypts own database, so perhaps Japan never kept track of their war crimes, so Abe may not have any records pertaining to the war crimes (although I highly doubt that and hes probably just taking advantage of the fact that he can deny those crimes).

Japan's People do have an excuse, you said it yourself.


Many people have tried to get Japan to admit what they have done over the years but to no proper avail. Movies about their War Crimes (and not just Nanking) have been refused to play and air there. People's protests have fallen on deaf ears. Books and articles have been denied the same way Holocaust deniers pretend the Holocaust either did not happen, or not to the extent it did happen.

The Japanese government and many of their people know full well what happened, but they just don't want to admit it.

I don't have the right to talk about Japan's wrongdoings? I feel everyone has a right to talk about things that interest them, and in my case - I actually know people who suffered under Japan's conquest of Asia. Those people are my family, and they have the scars of their skin and the torment to remember, so yes I will talk about it and I will inform people of Japan's coverups because it hits too close to home for me, and their blatant lies sicken me. Does this mean I hate Japan? No, I like many aspects of their culture. But their denial is a serious problem, and it is sickening. People who have relatives or history that has suffered from Japan during WW2 long to hear Japan accept what they have done and admit it.

I think you just don't want to talk about it or don't want to know about such things. If that is so, why do you keep replying to me? You're not going to change my opinion, and nor am I going to change yours. I think what is annoying you more than the "annoying picture" I posted is (perhaps) the fact that you yourself may be Japanese and hate to see your country slighted.

Anyway, that is exactly why those laws are in place in Germany - for that very reason. And besides, it has been dinned in the world's heads what Germany has done, it is taught, referenced and brought up continually so no one can forget. Japan does not have that done to them however.

My entire point is that these things should be taught and known in Japan. And I am not only talking about Nanking. I am talking about the entirety of their War Crimes. Like I said, if Japan can make movies/books/etc about what happened to them, and how they suffered - they should return the favor and not be so onesided.

You are an absolute imbecile, and discussing this with you is pointless. You're not worth any time.


35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 4/8/14
They are very sad people, that's all I can think about them.
Posted 4/8/14
To fear a foreign influence blocks the way to so much cultural education.
54 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 4/9/14
For years I thought Xenophobia was something to do with extraterrestrials.

Okay, that's all I wanted to say.
26727 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Tokyo, Japan
Online
Posted 4/9/14 , edited 4/9/14
Having lived in japan for the last 2-3 years now as a "native american/Lebanese" American/Canadian dual citizen, I feel well versed in this type of behavior. However, its not what you'd think it would be. In japan, xenophobia is not as prevalent as in the United States of America or a place like Saudi Arabia. At first, I thought this was reversed but then I realized that it was I who didn't understand and it was my fault for bringing such negative "racism" onto my self by disrespecting the culture simply by saying it was "different". From a Japanese persons point of view, our culture is the different one and when we say theirs is different even in a good way, its like saying its strange and they get offended. I also realized as I was slowly building my language skills that rather then having tons of people tell me to "learn the language" or "go back to my country" because I speak pretty broken Japanese, I would get strangers telling me to keep trying to learn it and encouraging me. Hell, I get people who come up to me because I am "white" so much so now that I actually have a card i hand them when they walk up to me on the train or bus because its annoying to try to explain where I'm from and what I'm doing there when I just want to be left in peace. (Though its not as bad as when i was in Shanghai and I had people outright staring at me.) Now though, even with the few people who do come up to me on the train or in areas I don't often frequent, I mostly am treated as any other would be because i do speak the language in a semi-coherent fashion and i do respect the culture.

On the other hand, in the United States it wasn't uncommon for me to hear people say things like "go back to your own country" or "learn our language before living here" to people of other cultures despite the US having a huge Hispanic population and tons of Asians as well. I also remember in middle/high school having people give me crap because I would eat Lebanese food for lunch. Though here's the thing, had I lived in NYC or LA for example I doubt this would have been as prevalent as it was because of how culturally diverse those cities are, but living in a small town area its very common to have those issues. In the end, in all countries you will find people who will be racist towards you if you are different, this is just human nature.

The end result is basically this, if you respect the people you are dealing with they will for the most part respect you, but you will also always find those people who are ignorant and will treat you like shit simply because you are different. Though it is also curious that being a dual citizen of Canada and the US, that when im in Canada in from the US and when im in the US im from Canada, at least thats how people treat me
26727 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Tokyo, Japan
Online
Posted 4/9/14

SoldierSangria wrote:


KarasuEL wrote:



First I have to say that if you think you can change anything at all related to Japan's denial of war crimes on this website you are wrong. If you think complaining about their war crimes on this website will somehow affect any of the history text books in Japan you are wrong. If you want to complain so badly go into politics become a world leader and tell Japan's prime minister to their face, if you dont want to do that then send a letter to Japan, you wont get anywhere by posting your complaints on English-speaking websites, go to a Japanese blog and post your opinion there, because you posting your complaint here wont do anything at all so there's almost no point to doing it at all. Honestly Im a bit grateful because I didnt know about the Nanjing massacre before you posted that annoying photo on this forum, but I have relatives in Japan, and Ive met a couple Japanese people who are all great people, but yet Ive never heard any of them complain about the bombings of Japan, in fact they like America, my grandma even moved here regardless of the fact that America bombed them. When you keep saying Japan is denying war crimes and bitching about America I am inclined to disagree because not all of Japan is like that. The person who denied the war crimes is Shinzo Abe and some of the other top executives in the Japanese government, to judge an entire country because of a few figureheads is downright wrong. Also unless you were really in Korea or China during Japans occupation then I dont believe you have the right to talk about Japan's wrongdoings, you dont know what they did, you didnt experience the pain that those people did, but you have the right to talk about the pain those people felt as if it was your own? If you dont know there pain dont talk about as if you do, thats disrespectful in its own right, and besides hate only creates hate, right? Im sorry if I am disrespectful in any way but I dont think you have any right to speak of anyone's pain but your own.

Germany has a law that stops them from the denial of the Holocaust and not just the denial of the Holocaust but many other things related to the Holocaust because of what Hitler had done. If you honestly believe that if Germany wouldnt make any attempts to deny the Holocaust if they didnt have those laws in place then you are mistaken. Also Im sure you noticed this but how is any Japanese person supposed to talk about the warcrimes of Japan if they were never taught it, they are ignorant of it they dont try to ignore it they were never taught it, so when they make movies about Hiroshima, and the Tokyo Firebombings, and dont make movies about Nanjing thats because they dont know about Nanjing, they dont know about those war crimes, right? Because the government was allowed to they completely denied the existence of those war crimes, and as long as there is no proof you can shove in Abe's face, he will continue to deny the existence of those war crimes. Who knows maybe Abe doesnt even know about the war crimes, and to his knowledge Nanjing didnt happen, a long long time ago Egypt used to keep record of all of their wars except for all their losses, so when a historian found information from other countries writing about the defeat of Egypt they were unable to find any records of their loss in Egypts own database, so perhaps Japan never kept track of their war crimes, so Abe may not have any records pertaining to the war crimes (although I highly doubt that and hes probably just taking advantage of the fact that he can deny those crimes).

Japan's People do have an excuse, you said it yourself.


Many people have tried to get Japan to admit what they have done over the years but to no proper avail. Movies about their War Crimes (and not just Nanking) have been refused to play and air there. People's protests have fallen on deaf ears. Books and articles have been denied the same way Holocaust deniers pretend the Holocaust either did not happen, or not to the extent it did happen.

The Japanese government and many of their people know full well what happened, but they just don't want to admit it.

I don't have the right to talk about Japan's wrongdoings? I feel everyone has a right to talk about things that interest them, and in my case - I actually know people who suffered under Japan's conquest of Asia. Those people are my family, and they have the scars of their skin and the torment to remember, so yes I will talk about it and I will inform people of Japan's coverups because it hits too close to home for me, and their blatant lies sicken me. Does this mean I hate Japan? No, I like many aspects of their culture. But their denial is a serious problem, and it is sickening. People who have relatives or history that has suffered from Japan during WW2 long to hear Japan accept what they have done and admit it.

I think you just don't want to talk about it or don't want to know about such things. If that is so, why do you keep replying to me? You're not going to change my opinion, and nor am I going to change yours. I think what is annoying you more than the "annoying picture" I posted is (perhaps) the fact that you yourself may be Japanese and hate to see your country slighted.

Anyway, that is exactly why those laws are in place in Germany - for that very reason. And besides, it has been dinned in the world's heads what Germany has done, it is taught, referenced and brought up continually so no one can forget. Japan does not have that done to them however.

My entire point is that these things should be taught and known in Japan. And I am not only talking about Nanking. I am talking about the entirety of their War Crimes. Like I said, if Japan can make movies/books/etc about what happened to them, and how they suffered - they should return the favor and not be so onesided.

You are an absolute imbecile, and discussing this with you is pointless. You're not worth any time.




Part of the issue here has to do with education. Im sure youve noticed that even in the United States we have a very biased view of the history that we our selves have taken part in. Its the same in Japan and in Germany, while they do teach the newer generations about these events, they hold less meaning to them because of the way they are taught. Hell, the US is the only country in the world to ever drop an atomic weapon on another country and yet this isn't something we love to talk about. We also had the Japanese labor camps during WW2 as well as many other extremely brutal and bloody events in our history. Our entire country is based on the genocide of the Native Americans and while we admit this, it isn't a huge cause of outrage in our own culture or country, we even have a holiday that celebrates it basically (thanksgiving). Japanese culture is such that they just don't really talk about those parts of their history and not even among themselves. Japanese people dont bring their emotions to work, nor do they bring them outside their own houses, This is just the way they do things. Im not saying its right to not admit to these horrible atrocities, but if you really want to get technical, then our last president should be brought up for war crimes against his own people as well as the people in Iraq and Afghanistan but in reality how many people are pushing for such action? None. This is just the way of the world, unfortunately, people do shitty things and they don't like to admit it. And even more so, education and information are biased and manipulated in such a way to make it so that the people involved dont feel as bad about the events that they took part in.

Posted 4/9/14

abeltensro wrote:

Part of the issue here has to do with education. Im sure youve noticed that even in the United States we have a very biased view of the history that we our selves have taken part in. Its the same in Japan and in Germany, while they do teach the newer generations about these events, they hold less meaning to them because of the way they are taught. Hell, the US is the only country in the world to ever drop an atomic weapon on another country and yet this isn't something we love to talk about. We also had the Japanese labor camps during WW2 as well as many other extremely brutal and bloody events in our history. Our entire country is based on the genocide of the Native Americans and while we admit this, it isn't a huge cause of outrage in our own culture or country, we even have a holiday that celebrates it basically (thanksgiving). Japanese culture is such that they just don't really talk about those parts of their history and not even among themselves. Japanese people dont bring their emotions to work, nor do they bring them outside their own houses, This is just the way they do things. Im not saying its right to not admit to these horrible atrocities, but if you really want to get technical, then our last president should be brought up for war crimes against his own people as well as the people in Iraq and Afghanistan but in reality how many people are pushing for such action? None. This is just the way of the world, unfortunately, people do shitty things and they don't like to admit it. And even more so, education and information are biased and manipulated in such a way to make it so that the people involved dont feel as bad about the events that they took part in.


You are right about the biased views of history in the States that many times (majority of times) are taught in schools. Difference is, there is plenty of other information beyond school that is easily available, sold, seen and publicly talked about. Should there be more taught in schools? Absolutely 100%! And more should be done on the whole to teach people. But still, there is plenty of information out there.

For example, the atom bombs may not be the choice for conversation but there is a lot of info about it. There are books, documentaries, etc. that is shown on TV, and known. It is accessible. It is known well even if it is not discussed all the time. Japanese Interment Camps, Native American genocide, etc. - I fully agree that more should be taught and known. And yet, again - there is information about it. People have written stories, made books with detailed information, made movies, plays etc about these things. MORE should be done, but there is still stuff out there and easily available.

When does Japan do ANY of these things? When have they made books, movies, plays, writings, TV shows, documentaries about what they have done?

As you say, Japanese culture doesn't like to talk about these things. And yet - the moment they have been on the receiving end of something, there are books, mangas, animes, etc made and distributed not only in Japan but globally. Grave of the Fireflies, Town of Cherry Blossoms, Barefoot Gen - all these things for example have to do with how Japan suffered.

But there is nothing, NOTHING about the horrors they committed.

Other countries should say more about things they did to others as well. But at least they HAVE plenty of sources to gain information.

Japan does not whatsoever.
Posted 4/9/14

SoldierSangria wrote:

Many people have tried to get Japan to admit what they have done over the years but to no proper avail. Movies about their War Crimes (and not just Nanking) have been refused to play and air there. People's protests have fallen on deaf ears. Books and articles have been denied the same way Holocaust deniers pretend the Holocaust either did not happen, or not to the extent it did happen.

The Japanese government and many of their people know full well what happened, but they just don't want to admit it.

I don't have the right to talk about Japan's wrongdoings? I feel everyone has a right to talk about things that interest them, and in my case - I actually know people who suffered under Japan's conquest of Asia. Those people are my family, and they have the scars of their skin and the torment to remember, so yes I will talk about it and I will inform people of Japan's coverups because it hits too close to home for me, and their blatant lies sicken me. Does this mean I hate Japan? No, I like many aspects of their culture. But their denial is a serious problem, and it is sickening. People who have relatives or history that has suffered from Japan during WW2 long to hear Japan accept what they have done and admit it.

I think you just don't want to talk about it or don't want to know about such things. If that is so, why do you keep replying to me? You're not going to change my opinion, and nor am I going to change yours. I think what is annoying you more than the "annoying picture" I posted is (perhaps) the fact that you yourself may be Japanese and hate to see your country slighted.

Anyway, that is exactly why those laws are in place in Germany - for that very reason. And besides, it has been dinned in the world's heads what Germany has done, it is taught, referenced and brought up continually so no one can forget. Japan does not have that done to them however.

My entire point is that these things should be taught and known in Japan. And I am not only talking about Nanking. I am talking about the entirety of their War Crimes. Like I said, if Japan can make movies/books/etc about what happened to them, and how they suffered - they should return the favor and not be so onesided.

You are an absolute imbecile, and discussing this with you is pointless. You're not worth any time.




I fully agree with you; it is saddening, and infuriating that, to this day, the denial hasn't subsided yet, and doesn't appear to be - infact, it's getting worse. It is a huge letdown to the whole nation and all of it's people (even though some actively take part in this lettening down), whether they realise it or not. There is just too much historical whitewash, and too few people (in Japan) know about the full stories of the Warcrimes. Some people just full on deny that Nanking happened, which is absurd, and really makes me feel exasperated. I just hope those people were trolls.

Of course a few people have had the ability to find out themselves about the atrocities that Japan, unfortunately, pointlessly commited, but I believe that if an official apology isn't made to all of the victims, then Japan may be left behind in the world, and will stop 'evolving' completely. I don't see why the J government can't genuinely apologise (or even, they're actively denying it! >.<), but it's really going to restrain the country and its people, and just piss the rest of the world off. The things that the victims had to endure won't heal easily at all. Those events that your people had to go through is just sick, and I'm just ashamed, and sorry that anything like that ever had to happen. Those people must have horribly hard lives now, after going through that. But the perpetrator of the act not acknowledging it - never mind apologising for it - just adds insult to injury.

I really hope that in this century, if it can't be within the next decade, that the whole situation will improve, otherwise everything will just escallate dangerously, and things won't look too pleasant. Abe is a psychopath looking for trouble. Why would anyone pay tributes to murderers? He is either inhumanely evil, or just a complete dolt. He makes the whole country look worse than it already did.

The thing that annoys me the most byfar, is that I'm part Japanese, and this will get reflected onto me as well, despite that I got off my arse and acknowledged the truth, unlike many - including Abe. I'm just glad that I wasn't born there, but I wish that, for the well being for Japan, the government would for once do the correct thing, and apologise because they truly MEAN it.
87895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / South Yorkshire,...
Offline
Posted 4/9/14
xenophobia, n.

Pronunciation:
/zɛnəˈfəʊbɪə/
Forms: Also ˈxenophoby, zenophobia (both rare).

Etymology: < xeno- comb. form + Greek ϕόβος fear + -ia suffix1, -y suffix3.

A deep antipathy to foreigners.
21016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32
Offline
Posted 4/10/14

admiral1983 wrote:

xenophobia, n.

Pronunciation:
/zɛnəˈfəʊbɪə/
Forms: Also ˈxenophoby, zenophobia (both rare).

Etymology: < xeno- comb. form + Greek ϕόβος fear + -ia suffix1, -y suffix3.

A deep antipathy to foreigners.


xen·o·pho·bi·a ˌzēnəˈfōbēə ˌzenə-
noun
noun xenophobia
intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries.
© 2014 Google Dictionary

A much better explanation.
Posted 4/10/14 , edited 4/10/14

KarasuEL wrote:

Also I hope I dont stir up any bad emotions but really slavery was not at all idiotic, it was an abominaton, but it was not stupid, in the same way Hitler was smart, but he was a repugnant annoying person. Slavery boosted the economy by making prices cheaper, without raising taxes, this way people could spend their money and get a lot out of it. I dont support slavery (or Hitler) in any way, shape or form, but I cant consider it idiotic.


Racism was not stupid and mainly existed because of consequent economic power, I agree. It's ridiculous how they'd then try to deny that (referring those enslaved as savages and openly spreading a lot of stigma). Even if owning people is wrong (which more or less still exists lol) If slave owners and advocates of that kind of practice were more honest, I don't think racism would still exist today because the "you're less than me" was merely an illusion to hide the "I'm using you because you are at the moment expendable and hold little to no influence".
87895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / South Yorkshire,...
Offline
Posted 4/10/14

Thfelese wrote:


admiral1983 wrote:

xenophobia, n.

Pronunciation:
/zɛnəˈfəʊbɪə/
Forms: Also ˈxenophoby, zenophobia (both rare).

Etymology: < xeno- comb. form + Greek ϕόβος fear + -ia suffix1, -y suffix3.

A deep antipathy to foreigners.


xen·o·pho·bi·a ˌzēnəˈfōbēə ˌzenə-
noun
noun xenophobia
intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries.
© 2014 Google Dictionary

A much better explanation.


I prefer the Oxford dictionary
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.