First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
What is your opinion of "closet otakus"?
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 4/6/14

Biscuithime wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

A non-japanese otaku is just another way of labeling a weeaboo


Are you implying that I am a weeaboo?

If you call yourself an otaku for having an interest in anime, yes. Using a japanese word to describe your hobby takes the meaning out of context. You liking anime and being treated differently is not the same as how an actual otaku is socially ostracized in japan. The way you define otaku might not even be the same as how japanese people define otaku.
25306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Washington
Offline
Posted 4/6/14
My friends know I like anime, but they think I like watching naruto and it irritates me that they think that!
My family watches anime thanks to me converting them. seriously when we have cousins come over I pretty much convert them and they start to see anime as a source of entertainment.

It makes me happy that they enjoy my interest and it helps the anime community grow bigger with many different types of people enjoying it. If you saw my family you wouldn't think we watch anime but we all do!

My friends don't make fun of me or anything, just that they don't find interest in it.
Especially my best friend, Shes's very outgoing and likes to go clubbing.
We are very close but she finds anime to be weird and perverted.
Its sad cause when it comes to anime I keep that to myself and try to act like it doesn't interest me in front of her.
As she fears that iI might be consumed by it or something.
But one of these days Im gonna force her to watch some with me, rather she likes it or not!
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 4/6/14 , edited 4/6/14

FlyinDumpling wrote:


Biscuithime wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

A non-japanese otaku is just another way of labeling a weeaboo


Are you implying that I am a weeaboo?

If you call yourself an otaku for having an interest in anime, yes. Using a japanese word to describe your hobby takes the meaning out of context. You liking anime and being treated differently is not the same as how an actual otaku is socially ostracized in japan. The way you define otaku might not even be the same as how japanese people define otaku.


That is not how I define the word "otaku." You've misunderstood. That is how I am defining myself.

My social isolation has nothing to do with me considering myself an otaku. I consider myself an otaku because I indulge in otaku culture, not because of my social status. I would even go as far as to say that social isolation and otaku culture would be a false dichotomy, and that is one of the main reasons why I made this topic to begin with.
13034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/6/14
Try not to think of your self as an Otaku But rather of an Anime Enthusiast
Since the word Otaku has a Stigma connected to it.
After all "Weeaboos" are usually wanna be Otaku, which isn't very much to begin with.
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 4/6/14

Biscuithime wrote:

That is not how I define the word "otaku." You've misunderstood. That is how I am defining myself.

My social isolation has nothing to do with me considering myself an otaku. I consider myself an otaku because I indulge in otaku culture, not because of my social status. I would even go as far as to say that social isolation and otaku culture would be a false dichotomy, and that is one of the main reasons why I made this topic to begin with.
It seems like the original post was trying to convey that people call themselves otaku because they indulge in anime culture, which is wrong. Sorry if this is not what you are trying to say.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 4/6/14

FlyinDumpling wrote:


Biscuithime wrote:

That is not how I define the word "otaku." You've misunderstood. That is how I am defining myself.

My social isolation has nothing to do with me considering myself an otaku. I consider myself an otaku because I indulge in otaku culture, not because of my social status. I would even go as far as to say that social isolation and otaku culture would be a false dichotomy, and that is one of the main reasons why I made this topic to begin with.
It seems like the original post was trying to convey that people call themselves otaku because they indulge in anime culture, which is wrong. Sorry if this is not what you are trying to say.


I was simply saying that people shouldn't be in the closet about their hobbies because they assume social condemnation will arise if anyone finds out. People shouldn't hide their interests if they consider it a part of themselves. I never said that people should enthuses to others about their interests like you're saying. To reiterate, I'm simply saying that people shouldn't assume that social condemnation comes with openly expressing their interest. Again, I'm not saying that they must obnoxiously express their interest, but they ought to be nonchalant about it and they certainly shouldn't treat it like a deep dark secret.

My social condemnation has nothing to do with my interest in anime. Those two aspects of my life are entirely disconnected.

Understand?
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 4/6/14

ChristianG13 wrote:

Try not to think of your self as an Otaku But rather of an Anime Enthusiast
Since the word Otaku has a Stigma connected to it.
After all "Weeaboos" are usually wanna be Otaku, which isn't very much to begin with.


Ah, but that's for people who actually care about the stigma. I, for one, do not.
5734 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / US
Offline
Posted 4/6/14

FlyinDumpling wrote:

A non-japanese otaku is just another way of labeling a weeaboo


Hm, I will have to completely disagree with your statement. From my understanding, being called an Otaku in Japan isn't something you should necessarily be proud of (I could be wrong, I suppose), but since we're not in Japan, we don't have to worry about that... Of course that also depends on how you define an Otaku outside of Japan. Also, a weeaboo, going strictly off of what I personally believe a weeaboo is, is a person extremely fixated on Japan simply because of Anime. They believe Anime defines true Japanese culture and say Japan is the best place simply because of Anime. Some even take it a step further and begin to act Japanese simply because they know words like "kawaii." Whereas an Otaku (not talking about using it in Japan) can simply be defined as a person that has a deep interest in Anime and/or Manga. When you actually think about it, it can be compared to someone that's a sports fanatic.


Sorry for the OT reply...

Anyway, I don't really care about "closet otakus." Like others have said, I spend my time thinking about other things to honestly have an opinion. As for myself, my friends know I like Anime... My family... it's a bit difficult to actually explain to them what it is. My twin brother referred to it once as "stupid Japanese sh*t," so I guess getting him into Anime is out of the question
16267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 4/6/14
Some people don't care if they are fully accepted socially. I for one actually do. In your late teens it's very looked down upon if you watch anime, thus i simply keep it to myself. I won't lie through my teeth to deny i watch it, but i don't see any reason to bring it up when my social group doesn't share the same interest. The question here is the reason why you are a closet otaku. Is it because you don't want to be a social outcast, or is it because you are ashamed of your hobby?
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 4/6/14

Biscuithime wrote:

I was simply saying that people shouldn't be in the closet about their hobbies because they assume social condemnation will arise if anyone finds out. People shouldn't hide their interests if they consider it a part of themselves. I never said that people should enthuses to others about their interests like you're saying. To reiterate, I'm simply saying that people shouldn't assume that social condemnation comes with openly expressing their interest. Again, I'm not saying that they must obnoxiously express their interest, but they ought to be nonchalant about it and they certainly shouldn't treat it like a deep dark secret.

My social condemnation has nothing to do with my interest in anime. Those two aspects of my life are entirely disconnected.

Understand?
I think you are misunderstanding. I was pointing out the misuse of the word otaku to describe oneself. When I mentioned the part about being treated like an outcast, I was trying to show cultural difference between how the word is used. I do see why some people might be reluctant to talk about their interest in anime because they might be treated differently, but those are the people who you don't want to be talking about anime with anyways.
13034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/6/14
Well if you identify with Otakus then by all means, to each their own.

But then addressing your original statement people shouldn't be ashamed of enjoying Anime regardless if they are a Otaku or Anime Enthusiast such as my self. People should be proud of being such a Sub Culture such as Anime. Yet their are time and places to display your love for anime and things of that sort, so take that into consideration.
Posted 4/6/14
I see your point, but i'm inclined to disagree.

This is just my personal opinion, but I think a fan can be a true fan irrespective of if they're open about it. If there are requirements for openness, then as you said, they are likely self-imposed by the community - which is quite common, actually.

Basically, if you're arguing that an anime fan needs to be open to be a part of the community, then I won't argue that (since I can't speak for said community).

If, however, you're arguing that an anime fan can't be a true fan if they aren't open about their interests, then I will argue such a claim is a tad bit presumptuous. But again, that's just me. I've always had some degree of disdain for fandoms with "membership requirements" aside from mutual interest and respect.

For example, I've often read comments and seen posts written by people who are "closet" classical music fans, which to me doesn't make any sense, since I consider interest in classical music to be a point of pride. Nevertheless, I don't feel offended by said fans. In fact, I may even feel a stronger sensation of kinship since the implication is that they're in an environment where those around them find such tastes rather odd. Even if they were embarrassed, i'd probably blame it more on their surrounding culture than on them, and would applaud them for liking it despite that fact.

But, as I said, that's just my take on it. It may just be because I see it more as being modest, demure, or shy - almost "cute" in a sense. Now, i'm not defending traitors who watch anime yet mock it in public or deny it when questioned, but if they're just secretive about it, then I don't believe that excludes them from the fandom, and I don't want to believe that it excludes them from the community, but that decision isn't up to me.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 4/6/14

FlyinDumpling wrote:


Biscuithime wrote:

I was simply saying that people shouldn't be in the closet about their hobbies because they assume social condemnation will arise if anyone finds out. People shouldn't hide their interests if they consider it a part of themselves. I never said that people should enthuses to others about their interests like you're saying. To reiterate, I'm simply saying that people shouldn't assume that social condemnation comes with openly expressing their interest. Again, I'm not saying that they must obnoxiously express their interest, but they ought to be nonchalant about it and they certainly shouldn't treat it like a deep dark secret.

My social condemnation has nothing to do with my interest in anime. Those two aspects of my life are entirely disconnected.

Understand?
I think you are misunderstanding. I was pointing out the misuse of the word otaku to describe oneself. When I mentioned the part about being treated like an outcast, I was trying to show cultural difference between how the word is used. I do see why some people might be reluctant to talk about their interest in anime because they might be treated differently, but those are the people who you don't want to be talking about anime with anyways.


If there's a cultural difference, then according to you, I am using the word correctly in Western culture. I am using the word "otaku" under the most widely accepted definition. I am not saying that social isolation is guaranteed if you're interested in otaku culture and consider yourself an otaku.

Apparently you have not understood, so now I must blatantly spell things out.

I am saying that if a person (maybe even someone who would stupidly socially condemn you for you hobbies) were to come to you and blatantly ask you, "Do you indulge in anime or otaku culture?" you should not flat out lie and tell them "No." You should not go through excessive lengths to hide your hobbies from other people, because most people do not care one way or the other. Most people I know are fairly accepting of otaku culture.

Those few people who will condemn you for your hobbies/interests (regardless of what they are) are not people anyone should worry about appeasing to begin with, like I've already said.

I do not obnoxious berate my knowledge of anime upon others who are uninterested; however, if someone who is interested were to come to me and ask me about my interest in anime, I would not shy away or act as if I know nothing of the sort (which is how I would define a closet otaku).

Understand finally?
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 4/6/14 , edited 4/6/14

seekerperson7 wrote:

I see your point, but i'm inclined to disagree.

This is just my personal opinion, but I think a fan can be a true fan irrespective of if they're open about it. If there are requirements for openness, then as you said, they are likely self-imposed by the community - which is quite common, actually.

Basically, if you're arguing that an anime fan needs to be open to be a part of the community, then I won't argue that (since I can't speak for said community).

If, however, you're arguing that an anime fan can't be a true fan if they aren't open about their interests, then I will argue such a claim is a tad bit presumptuous. But again, that's just me. I've always had some degree of disdain for fandoms with "membership requirements" aside from mutual interest and respect.

For example, I've often read comments and seen posts written by people who are "closet" classical music fans, which to me doesn't make any sense, since I consider interest in classical music to be a point of pride. Nevertheless, I don't feel offended by said fans. In fact, I may even feel a stronger sensation of kinship since the implication is that they're in an environment where those around them find such tastes rather odd. Even if they were embarrassed, i'd probably blame it more on their surrounding culture than on them, and would applaud them for liking it despite that fact.

But, as I said, that's just my take on it. It may just be because I see it more as being modest, demure, or shy - almost "cute" in a sense. Now, i'm not defending traitors who watch anime yet mock it in public or deny it when questioned, but if they're just secretive about it, then I don't believe that excludes them from the fandom, and I don't want to believe that it excludes them from the community, but that decision isn't up to me.


I am not saying that closet otakus cannot be "true fans" and I do not see being open about an interest in anime as a rite of passage at all. I am simply saying that people shouldn't go through excessive lengths to hide their interests and that they shouldn't assume that social condemnation will intrinsically come from voicing said interests.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 4/6/14

ChristianG13 wrote:

Well if you identify with Otakus then by all means, to each their own.

But then addressing your original statement people shouldn't be ashamed of enjoying Anime regardless if they are a Otaku or Anime Enthusiast such as my self. People should be proud of being such a Sub Culture such as Anime. Yet their are time and places to display your love for anime and things of that sort, so take that into consideration.


But of course. It is obnoxious to incessantly voice your interest in anime to an audience who is uninterested; however, if you come across people who are mutually interested, then you shouldn't hesitate to converse with them about said interests.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.