First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14
Try to find the Ocean dub if possible, to me that was the best one. Or you could watch is video which compares all the dubs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAg5ffjikfw
36379 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14

dragontackle wrote:

Try to find the Ocean dub if possible, to me that was the best one. Or you could watch is video which compares all the dubs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAg5ffjikfw


LMFAO TEAM FOURSTAR FTW!!!!!!
28672 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14

Arsenette wrote:


I'd sum it up that way. I know honestly it goes with taste. A lot of people are partial to the first time they ever saw it and anyone under the age of 30 would have seen it dubbed on Cartoon Network and know it as a badass show where shit blows up every 10 seconds (and epicly). I watched it in Japanese in VHS pirated videos mailed from Japan and wanted to know wtf the main guy sounded like a girl (and why that was on purpose). Then it became instantly hilarious and added another layer to what was already visible on the screen. The show is just fun to watch even muted. Both sets of voices are good. But your question which one would I prefer. If you have access to both, switch between the voices and see which doesn't grate your nerves (some just can't get past the Japanese voices). Either way I think DBZ is fun mindless destruction of everything you know about the genre. Seeing your age I would say it's poking fun at the Naruto's and Bleach (of that time) and other shows of that ilk that went on for hundreds of episodes. I hope you like it. It's a fun show.


Hey thanks! I'm sure I will. I mean, I've watched DBZ Kai, but I want to get the feeling of the original. Though I did take the time and did a little switching between subbed and dubbed over on Funimation's website and my goodness...I'm not even sure if I can get through the subbed version. (even though I prefer subbed over dubbed anytime of the week). I might just have to go w/ the dubbed version. Even though Goku's voice as a kid dubbed sounds like he hit puberty at the age of 5, the voice they picked in Japanese is a little...how should I put it...underwhelming to say the least lol. Not to mention, the audio is way crisper in the dubbed version compared to the Japanese. So, I'll probably just roll w/ the dubbed version for Dragon Ball and DBZ. It's too bad too. I'm seriously a subbed type of guy to begin w/.
31327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
Go with english, there is a big debate between the Ocean dub and the funimation dub for DBZ. I say go with Funimations first dub WAY better than the Ocean dub, stay away from Kai though...
22326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / South Carolina
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
Am I allowed to say read the manga? The series' animation and filler can be downright atrocious. Not to mention it creates plot holes from time to time.

But if you still want to watch the anime I'd say go with the Japanese version. A lot of liberties were taken when writing the dub script and that too has created plot holes. This was also FUNimation's first dub so the voice acting can be hard to listen to without nostalgia goggles on. Not that they didn't get better though. If you ever watch Dragon Ball Kai, watch it dubbed. It's amazing how much they've improved.

So final verdict: Japanese version, also check out the manga if you can.
24760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/7/14

Falcon132 wrote:

Go with english, there is a big debate between the Ocean dub and the funimation dub for DBZ. I say go with Funimations first dub WAY better than the Ocean dub, stay away from Kai though...


I really don't get the hate for Kai. I honestly LOVED it compared to the original DBZ and rejoiced at the fact that 90% of crap had been cut from it (and a new soundtrack, too), but when it was localized it got flamed to hell and back twice.
28672 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14

AzureWind91 wrote:

Am I allowed to say read the manga? The series' animation and filler can be downright atrocious. Not to mention it creates plot holes from time to time.

But if you still want to watch the anime I'd say go with the Japanese version. A lot of liberties were taken when writing the dub script and that too has created plot holes. This was also FUNimation's first dub so the voice acting can be hard to listen to without nostalgia goggles on. Not that they didn't get better though. If you ever watch Dragon Ball Kai, watch it dubbed. It's amazing how much they've improved.

So final verdict: Japanese version, also check out the manga if you can.


I already did a little side by side comparison over on Funimation's website. I can't stand Goku's kid or adult voice in Japanese. It's so out of place. And even though I'm a subtitled guy to begin w/, DB and DBZ's JVA's are just awful for some reason (I don't know, it could just be me). Though if you know anything about Funi's dubbed versions, which dubbed version did they decide to go w/ on their website, do you know? It sounds alright to me, though I'm a little worried if they decided to censor anything in the dubbed version. I hate censoring w/ a passion.

P.S I don't read Manga. Tried it, hated it, moved on (I love to read books though, just not comics/manga).
22326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / South Carolina
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
29480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14
Dubbed! Vegeta's English voice rocks!
28672 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14

AzureWind91 wrote:


The dub that's on their website is uncut.


Thank you for clearing that up for me
Posted 4/7/14
Just listen to Dub.

Gokus voice in Sub is terrible imo.
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14

Felstalker wrote:

some additional knowledge this reminded me of.

DBZ and Dragonball have numerous dub's and redub's, the most popular "Funimation" dub has been done at least 3 times I believe.


If I remember correctly, the original sound for Dragon Ball and some early episodes of Dragonball Z have been lost over time. I think it had something to do with the recordings originally being done one way and having to be re-recorded later on due to troubles tranfering the old sound over. The result is that what there is of the original soundtrack has been re-recorded to the point that it suffers from heavy quality deterioration.
22406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 4/7/14

RX-0Unicorn wrote:


Falcon132 wrote:

Go with english, there is a big debate between the Ocean dub and the funimation dub for DBZ. I say go with Funimations first dub WAY better than the Ocean dub, stay away from Kai though...


I really don't get the hate for Kai. I honestly LOVED it compared to the original DBZ and rejoiced at the fact that 90% of crap had been cut from it (and a new soundtrack, too), but when it was localized it got flamed to hell and back twice.


Kai loses some nostalgia. Episodes and some glorioous world building fillers.

Gohan meeting robot-san and Goku&Piccolo driving are thing that make dbz great. Don't forget the bug planet!

Surrey garlic junior was lame... but we got characters like Picon in those seasons. Unlike Naruto who has met so many fake villages they stopped trying.

28672 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/7/14

Felstalker wrote:


Kai loses some nostalgia. Episodes and some glorioous world building fillers.

Gohan meeting robot-san and Goku&Piccolo driving are thing that make dbz great. Don't forget the bug planet!

Surrey garlic junior was lame... but we got characters like Picon in those seasons. Unlike Naruto who has met so many fake villages they stopped trying.



Land of birds, land of bean jam, land of bears, land of honey....it's truly hilarious, isn't it? :p
3026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / United Kingdom |...
Offline
Posted 4/10/14
Subbed and Dubbed are good.

I like the bit where they constantly scream for minutes long.


First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.