First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Why do people like slice of life shows?
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
Why do we love slice of life shows? Because we do. No more needs to be said.
19765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
Because they're like real life sometimes and people find that relateable and/or more engaging than shonen?

I watch plenty of shonen, I watch slice of life, I watch pretty much every genre (almost), but I believe this genre is well-liked when it accurately reflects the struggles people have in their lives and takes the time to develop relationships between characters carefully.

It's a nice experience to see. Paragons of such brilliant character development are Clannad Afterstory, GTO, and Bakuman, my three favorite slice of life shows. They're amazing. :lol:

Full Metal Panic is another good slice of life show that also has some hilarious action. It's one of the better anime out there.
40315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Free World Jail
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
Some are really good and fun to watch, but some bore the living crap out of me.
If the characters are really lively and funny then i also enjoy it...
But if the characters are barely doing anything and the pace is slow, that's an automatic from me.
*cough* *cough* Non Non Biyori... *cough* Man, i wanted to say that all day...enjoy the second season though guys! Christ
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
I didn't really like Non Non Biyori for the first episode or so, but then it started to get funny and I was hooked.
8414 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
people get excited because its dramatic its tension. adrenaline feelings. but you sympathize with naruto because of his struggle and root for him to win. naruto isnt really a pure action anime. there are plenty of shows where every episode is just a fight. but something like naruto every character is fleshed out and has a background so there's really a feeling for when things happen.
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14


You're mixing up sympathy and empathy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathy

I don't care if Naruto gets hurt. I just want him to win and get recognition (empathy)

I wish I could stop the main character of Watamote from making some serious social mistakes. (sympathy)
8414 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
its still the same. you feel a concern for them because you feel like you know them. and they get into these life or death fights so you feel concerned for them. thats why fanboys for these series are so emotional usually. but yeah. seems like you hate action anime though?
32403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / virginia
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
i also didnt watch slife at first, i only watched action shows, as that was really all i was exposed to, but for me the first show that made me fall in love with slife is lucky star, that show kicks butt.
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14

ShogunRay wrote:
thats why fanboys for these series are so emotional usually.

but yeah. seems like you hate action anime though?


Stockholm syndrome?

Hmm.. From recent seasons, I enjoyed Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Smile PreCure. Heartcatch PreCure, Black Rock Shooter, and A Certain Scientific Railgun
22406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 4/7/14

HauAreWe wrote:



You're mixing up sympathy and empathy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathy

I don't care if Naruto gets hurt. I just want him to win and get recognition (empathy)

I wish I could stop the main character of Watamote from making some serious social mistakes. (sympathy)


I don't like either of those things.

Empathy makes me cry waaaay too easily. Just remembering a moment from a really empathetic show or movie makes me cry.

That second one isn't actually a thing I acknowledge.
8414 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 4/7/14

HauAreWe wrote:


ShogunRay wrote:
thats why fanboys for these series are so emotional usually.

but yeah. seems like you hate action anime though?


Stockholm syndrome?

Hmm.. From recent seasons, I enjoyed Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Smile PreCure. Heartcatch PreCure, Black Rock Shooter, and A Certain Scientific Railgun


jojooooooooo
2037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14

ShogunRay wrote:

jojooooooooo


Speedwagon is the main character of parts 1 & 2. Everyone else is just filler.

His jealousy of Erina. His BL for Jonathan. His respect for Zeppeli's suave nature.
11916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Charlotte, NC
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
I used to associate Slice of life with exclusively highschool anime. It seems instead that if the community (read: this website or another) begins to refer to a series as such, then it is. The creators of these shows don't have the categories in their minds that American viewers do, that I can guarantee- so to them it's a "Show About _____". I strongly dislike high school cartoons.. but there have been series described by people as a Slice of life that I admired. In those instances, I didn't like the show because it was a 'slice of life', it just got named that by someone. Seeing what passes for a good plot to some people really makes me depressed at times anyway. A show that consists of 23 minutes of screeching schoolgirls in a classroom and then presents a bolt of lighting from the sky downward to one of the girls in the last 5 seconds is not a plot. It's called laziness.
A show that animates a role playing game and gives its characters some minimal clichéd motivation (for 'revenge', quest for a jewel or power) is also barely worth calling a story. There should be more complexity than a few silly tropes tossed around by rushed expository dialogue.
Lacking those things doesn't necessarily mean the show is about nothing- it might mean it's about <I>much more</I> on a deeper level.
8414 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 4/7/14

KingKaio wrote:

I used to associate Slice of life with exclusively highschool anime. It seems instead that if the community (read: this website or another) begins to refer to a series as such, then it is. The creators of these shows don't have the categories in their minds that American viewers do, that I can guarantee- so to them it's a "Show About _____". I strongly dislike high school cartoons.. but there have been series described by people as a Slice of life that I admired. In those instances, I didn't like the show because it was a 'slice of life', it just got named that by someone. Seeing what passes for a good plot to some people really makes me depressed at times anyway. A show that consists of 23 minutes of screeching schoolgirls in a classroom and then presents a bolt of lighting from the sky downward to one of the girls in the last 5 seconds is not a plot. It's called laziness.
A show that animates a role playing game and gives its characters some minimal clichéd motivation (for 'revenge', quest for a jewel or power) is also barely worth calling a story. There should be more complexity than a few silly tropes tossed around by rushed expository dialogue.
Lacking those things doesn't necessarily mean the show is about nothing- it might mean it's about <I>much more</I> on a deeper level.


we are definitely on the same page with that screeching high school girls thing. and thats why i started the forum but i understand its a broader genre then just that now.
6223 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
Because I can relate to the pain! Seriously though, I enjoy them because they're relate-able but they usually help me realize I'm missing something important in my life so I can't watch too many of them without spiraling into some great depression. Whaddayagonnado?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.