First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Anime Fans Are Intolerant of New People Joining the Base
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 4/7/14

kokorowohiraite wrote:


TsunLemon wrote:

I have no problems with people joining the fandom. As long as they truly love Anime I believe is fine.

As for children Anime: Who the hell has a problem with children Anime!? Children Anime are great!!!

Also I don't get the part about mainstream, can someone explain what he's trying to say? (forgive me for my stupidity.)


No stupidity on your behalf, what he wrote was barely coherent.


Really? Glad to hear so then. I seriously felt stupid since I couldn't understand most of what he was trying to say. While everyone else seem to be replying in all seriousness to him.
552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
I know that I am not intolerant of new people joining the base. They're welcome to join as along we all love anime.
13372 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
When you introduce someone new to anime, you have to introduce them to something that they might like. So I think adding kids shows is a good thing for anime. I recently introduced my 22 year old brother to anime, starting with Hunter X Hunter. I almost lost him in the first 5 episodes but he made it through that and loved the rest of the series.. Then he watched all of the Attack on Titan episodes in 2 days. When he was done he immediately asked if there was another season. Now I'm having him go through Kill la Kill (which he considered porn after the first episode, but we got that misunderstanding out the way).
60992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14
I actually enjoy a wide range of shows and the first anime i remember watching was dragon ball z, pokemon, inuyasha, death note, but I also like things like nyarko-san and whatnot, I also like a bit of slice of life like non non biyori for example, I try to give about any anime a chance. I like crunchy roll's range of shows although it'd be nice if they had tons more, some older stuff and newer things we don't already have, but that would cost them lots of money, maybe someday when we get enough support for the site. I mean theres only 6 or 7 thousand paying members am I right? I think everyone should give an anime they might not be sure a try and if they don't like it then don't watch it and don't complain about it.

I don't have a problem letting kids watch as long as they aren't watching things like Afro Samurai
60992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 4/7/14

TheGreatHoneyBun wrote:

When you introduce someone new to anime, you have to introduce them to something that they might like. So I think adding kids shows is a good thing for anime. I recently introduced my 22 year old brother to anime, starting with Hunter X Hunter. I almost lost him in the first 5 episodes but he made it through that and loved the rest of the series.. Then he watched all of the Attack on Titan episodes in 2 days. When he was done he immediately asked if there was another season. Now I'm having him go through Kill la Kill (which he considered porn after the first episode, but we got that misunderstanding out the way).


LOL yea I agree with that too,you have to give them something they are interested in and then maybe they will try more
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 4/7/14
The anime fandom is always looking for new fans regardless of the age group.
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 4/7/14
OP, you went from "anime fans are intolerant" to "quite a few anime fans are pretty intolerant" awfully quick, and then you drench the rest of your post with more ill-disguised generalizations. It appears to me that you witnessed jerks and decided to take your frustration out on every body else with a rant. Although you bring up some good points, you also sound rather churlish.

I'm not interested in contributing significantly more useful input, due to how aggravating the tone and title of this thread are.
22267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Australia
Offline
Posted 4/7/14 , edited 4/7/14

TsunLemon wrote:


kokorowohiraite wrote:


TsunLemon wrote:

I have no problems with people joining the fandom. As long as they truly love Anime I believe is fine.

As for children Anime: Who the hell has a problem with children Anime!? Children Anime are great!!!

Also I don't get the part about mainstream, can someone explain what he's trying to say? (forgive me for my stupidity.)


No stupidity on your behalf, what he wrote was barely coherent.


Really? Glad to hear so then. I seriously felt stupid since I couldn't understand most of what he was trying to say. While everyone else seem to be replying in all seriousness to him.


They're not really addressing that part of the post, imo.


thewanderingforce wrote:
Oh, and to anyone who says Anime is immune to mainstream stuff: Ha! How do people honestly believe that? Are you telling me that Anime like SAO, Attack on Titan, or Kill la Kill are in the same bracket as stuff like Saki, Skip Beat, or Nisekoi? Every medium has its own heavy hitters that are way more popular and well-known than most of the other stuff, even if the other stuff is worth checking out. Our Mainstream is just different from the "Main"-Mainstream.


@TsunLemon Are they trying to say that anime like Saki, Skip Beat and Nisekoi are on another level compared to the latter or simply a different type of anime? I'm not sure. Maybe they can clear that up later.

@OP I think you need to take a moment to realize how kids get into anime. Unless those kids have actually played Hero Bank, how would they know an anime is being released? Sure, parents on Crunchyroll can introduce their children but with their experience of anime, I doubt they would be on the lookout for anything to introduce their young children to. Furthermore, most kids get into anime watching what is dubbed and aired on TV such as DBZ, One Piece and so on. If kids decide to look these up, they will generally find their selves on sites such as watchcartoononline that has a variety of anime and cartoons that are aimed at a younger audience (but they also have other anime - and dubbed, which is anime noob friendly - for young adolescents and above which they may explore once they're old enough). So, don't trap yourself in the mind set that just because it's being simulcast on Crunchyroll they can't access it else where, in an environment that is safe and appropriate for them. Nobody wants a mature (although I question this often) community as such to suddenly be filled with 13 year olds, or younger. It does not necessarily mean people are intolerant, as they may just feel like their territory is being overtaken or may be in the future. Naturally, some people are just trolling, rude or immature themselves. Don't let such petty things get to you.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 4/8/14
I watched the first few minutes of Dragon Collection and Oreca Battle... And removed them instantly from my quote.

But if I'm honest, I don't care if there's anime targeted towards children available.
Posted 4/8/14
I don't understand the point of this rant... how does saying "Something is for kids" = not letting new fans join the anime base... ????




Finding Nemo is for kids, but most adults enjoyed it, so was Harry Potter.


And what does non-mainstream opinions have to do with the original thread title... im totally confused
Cross0 
23134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Illinois
Offline
Posted 4/8/14
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say OP, so I'll take my best guess.

Any fandom has members who expect everyone to know everything and have the same opinion as them. Unfortunately, these people also tend to be rather vocal about their own self-importance. Sure, it can be off-putting, and quite frankly, I'll agree that it may drive people away from anime. I've seen people get looked down for for only having seen especially popular anime or for not having seen a particular anime, and it's disheartening. Some individuals who try to get into anime and are met with that kind of reaction become reluctant to try and discuss anime or even continue watching anime at all.

That being said, I find that the vast majority of anime fans are very open to prospective fans. They love to offer up suggestions, discuss shows, and get people excited about anime. The community is ultimately what we make it.

At one point, OP, I believe you mentioned something about certain anime being targeted to children and others being angry about that. If that's correct, then I believe that you're misinterpreting their frustration. I can't imagine anyone is unhappy that there are anime intended for a younger audience. The reason some CR members were upset is because a show they had no interest in was picked up while a show they were interested in has yet to be announced. Is it the most appropriate response? Certainly not. Regardless, keep in mind that this is only a vocal minority. Looking at the other posts in this thread, I don't see any intolerance.
16267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 4/8/14
I don't see why it should bother me. If i don't enjoy it i will simply not watch it. It really is as easy as that.
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 4/8/14

kokorowohiraite wrote:


TsunLemon wrote:


kokorowohiraite wrote:


TsunLemon wrote:

I have no problems with people joining the fandom. As long as they truly love Anime I believe is fine.

As for children Anime: Who the hell has a problem with children Anime!? Children Anime are great!!!

Also I don't get the part about mainstream, can someone explain what he's trying to say? (forgive me for my stupidity.)


No stupidity on your behalf, what he wrote was barely coherent.


Really? Glad to hear so then. I seriously felt stupid since I couldn't understand most of what he was trying to say. While everyone else seem to be replying in all seriousness to him.


They're not really addressing that part of the post, imo.


thewanderingforce wrote:
Oh, and to anyone who says Anime is immune to mainstream stuff: Ha! How do people honestly believe that? Are you telling me that Anime like SAO, Attack on Titan, or Kill la Kill are in the same bracket as stuff like Saki, Skip Beat, or Nisekoi? Every medium has its own heavy hitters that are way more popular and well-known than most of the other stuff, even if the other stuff is worth checking out. Our Mainstream is just different from the "Main"-Mainstream.


@TsunLemon Are they trying to say that anime like Saki, Skip Beat and Nisekoi are on another level compared to the latter or simply a different type of anime? I'm not sure. Maybe they can clear that up later.


I see. Then I hope they do so. I just can't understand the meaning of his words at all. ),:
Posted 4/8/14
What I'm intolerant of are people who confuse me because they have no clue what they're talking about or trying to say for that matter.
28685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/8/14

stoner789 wrote:

I actually enjoy a wide range of shows and the first anime i remember watching was dragon ball z, pokemon, inuyasha, death note, but I also like things like nyarko-san and whatnot, I also like a bit of slice of life like non non biyori for example, I try to give about any anime a chance. I like crunchy roll's range of shows although it'd be nice if they had tons more, some older stuff and newer things we don't already have, but that would cost them lots of money, maybe someday when we get enough support for the site. I mean theres only 6 or 7 thousand paying members am I right? I think everyone should give an anime they might not be sure a try and if they don't like it then don't watch it and don't complain about it.

I don't have a problem letting kids watch as long as they aren't watching things like Afro Samurai


Or Samurai Champloo ^.^
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.