First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
I think I bought a bootleg AOT Necklace
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 4/12/14 , edited 4/12/14
Seems like a rip-off to me, at the very least from how the box, or however you call it, looks. Happened to me all the time as a kid, bought so many counterfeit Pokemon and YuGiOh cards back then. T^T


Greenhousegirl wrote:


Onii-tan wrote:

But the real thing might be expensive so yeah
Like a Hatsune Miku Nendoroid
That's expensive so get the bootleg....


It says you are 13. I am going to assume you are 13, obviously you've never had a job and never had to truly earn money (sorry baby sitting does not count, chores does not count) and don't seem to understand that someone has to work very very hard to make the anime/manga you like, they spend alot of time creating a concept and predrawing and outlining a series... this person then works their 455 off to get a publisher to pick up their work. Then they might get paid for all their hard work and royalties will slowly trickle in (they probably make less than 10% on each item sold).
As someone who works very hard to support myself, I know the value not only of money but one's intellectual property.
It may make more sense one day when you are working to support your own self, pay for bills, own a house/rent an apartment, go off to college, etc.




I mostly agree with the greatness of supporting the original creator (the sole reason I have a CR account), but you make it sound like only people of a young age don't have to work, and that only people that have had a job can understand how tough it is to work. Can't agree with that. =.=
20422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 4/12/14
Legally the minimum age for working in the US is 14. So yes, 13year olds don't have to work. "and that only people that have had a job can understand how tough it is to work. Can't agree with that. =.= " - yeah, some people might be able to understand it, but this one does not seem to understand what it is like to have a job, particularly one in which you create things that are very easily stolen (with no compensation to the original creator) nor how frustrating it is to try and protect yourself or track down the thieves.
8989 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Buttermilk
Offline
Posted 4/12/14 , edited 4/12/14
Why does this remind me of monogatari's Kaiki?
540 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / texas
Offline
Posted 4/12/14

Onii-tan wrote:

Does it matter that it's a bootleg?
As long as the product looks like an official thing
then it doesn't really matter.



There are two different types of people

- Those who don't care, as long as it looks like something they want they'll buy it

And

- Those who do care because they bought something someone else was selling selfishly and their money didn't go to the creators which should have.

It's like buying band merchandise. If the band sells it they get money for a meal or for another show. But if someone else is selling merchandise with their logos, the band doesn't get the money, only the selfish person. Therefore the band doesn't get the money for food/rent/another show and it builds after a while.
Posted 4/12/14 , edited 4/12/14
some of you don't understand

it's like buying a bootlegged holographic charizard; it just isn't cool
61253 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Online
Posted 4/12/14
For me, the fact that my money didn't go to supporting the creators isn't even the biggest issue. It's also the fact that the money is going to support the bootleggers. It's like adding salt to the wound.
28783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/12/14

staphen wrote:

For me, the fact that my money didn't go to supporting the creators isn't even the biggest issue. It's also the fact that the money is going to support the bootleggers. It's like adding salt to the wound.


Supports the bootleggers, doesn't go to creators, YOU get ripped off. Three peas in a pod...LOL
17216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Seattle
Offline
Posted 4/12/14 , edited 4/12/14
You always gotta be careful buying merch, and especially so for popular series. They count on people snapping it up like candy without questioning it. Almost all legit merchandise has a good quality to it. If something looks "off" it's probably not legit merch.

Something you might consider is contacting the authorities. Most fake merch is designed and made in China. China has a very poor track record when it comes to allowing toxic chemicals into their products. For metal products, lead is a real concern. So even if the fact that it's a fake is only a small worry to you, I'd be very concerned about the health risks for yourself and other future buyers (think of the children!).

Here's a resource that I haven't used, but might be useful: http://www.stopfakes.gov/contact(If you don't live in the US, you can look into your local government avenues).



Prices on ebay are determined by the individual seller; they'll price their stuff higher than the MSRP if they think they can get away with it, because either 1) They think people will see their listing first and buy on impulse rather than look around, 2) It's generally only sold in foreign stores, and buyers in another country can't read the language on the site or 3) It's sold out in most stores worldwide, and is now considered a rare item.
508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Australier
Offline
Posted 4/13/14
You should eat it, maybe its a chocolate necklace like those chocolate coins.
20422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 4/13/14

TheCoolAlchemist wrote:

You always gotta be careful buying merch, and especially so for popular series. They count on people snapping it up like candy without questioning it. Almost all legit merchandise has a good quality to it. If something looks "off" it's probably not legit merch.

Something you might consider is contacting the authorities. Most fake merch is designed and made in China. China has a very poor track record when it comes to allowing toxic chemicals into their products. For metal products, lead is a real concern. So even if the fact that it's a fake is only a small worry to you, I'd be very concerned about the health risks for yourself and other future buyers (think of the children!).

Here's a resource that I haven't used, but might be useful: http://www.stopfakes.gov/contact(If you don't live in the US, you can look into your local government avenues).



Prices on ebay are determined by the individual seller; they'll price their stuff higher than the MSRP if they think they can get away with it, because either 1) They think people will see their listing first and buy on impulse rather than look around, 2) It's generally only sold in foreign stores, and buyers in another country can't read the language on the site or 3) It's sold out in most stores worldwide, and is now considered a rare item.

Now I'm going to be paranoid. The charm it's self if heavy for its size. Heavier than other jewelry of a similar size and thickness. How does one test a metal charm for lead without destroying it?
30446 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 4/13/14 , edited 4/13/14

Mariox777 wrote:

I would try to find a legit store online and check the price. If its higher, then its a bootleg.

@OtakuKoala. It does matter. Its not just about showing support for something, it is buying something where the money goes to the company/people who make the show.


Agreed.
Bootlegs don't support good business.


Greenhousegirl wrote:
Now I'm going to be paranoid. The charm it's self if heavy for its size. Heavier than other jewelry of a similar size and thickness. How does one test a metal charm for lead without destroying it?



*AHEM*
You can't really.
If you wanted to try Archimedes principle you need to know what the legit was made from,
if it were bootleg it wouldn't just be a pure metal, it would be w/e was lying around and mixed together but it would have a different density to the proper model.

If you were worried about it being safe to handle then just coat it in varnish or something.
20422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 4/13/14
Why didnt i think about that! I could coat it in a thin layer of clear nail polish.
30446 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 4/13/14
But I would change the chain.
26464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Iwatobi!!
Offline
Posted 4/13/14 , edited 4/13/14

Onii-tan wrote:


UnlimitedEnergy wrote:


Onii-tan wrote:

A nendoroid for like 65$ that's just a piece of plastic
Is basicly a rip-off


Pretty sure I've never paid 65 for a nendoroid. Sounds like you're pulling random stuff out of the air to support a (poor) stance.


EBAY.COM



Yeah...Ebay the HOME of everything bootleg. Now look at this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anime-Shingeki-No-Kyojin-Mikasa-Ackerman-PVC-Figure-Figurine-Attack-On-Titan-/151200117242?pt=UK_Collectables_AnimationCharacters_Anime_SM&hash=item23343ab1fa

It costs £2.79. I wonder why it would be so cheap? Because it's FAKE. Now why is it bad?
-No money go towards any official sources so the person who put all their time and effort into creating the character is not rewarded.
-With fake figures you usually find that they do not fit together correctly (i.e If it had a stand it wouldn't fit right) and the paintwork would reduce you to tears.

The main reason I collect figures is because the offical ones look good. I can put them on a shelf and think "Damn, I love that show and now I have a great figure to show that". And also I have given MY hard earn money to a person/company that deserves it for working just as hard, if not harder. It's not easy to create and idea, make a manga and then turn it into a very popular anime so they deserve all the money they get. And they don't get it through bootlegs.

Oh and also anything on ebay that comes from China=Crap. Hence the stupid cheap prices. The more people keep buying bootlegs because they are "cheap" the more they will keep making them and the official products end up costing US more. Maybe you can understand that?
20422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 4/13/14

Sir_jamesalot wrote:

But I would change the chain.


Also should have thought of that.... Going to do that now and later I can paint a super thin layer of clear nail polish on it...
*tosses potential Cadmium chain into garbage*
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.