First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Mispronunciations and American Accents in English Dubs
5228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
Why is that sometimes when there is an English Dub for an anime with a setting like the UK, Germany, France, etc., they never give those characters accents to suit their location. For example, Attack on Titan takes place in a German based colony with characters that range from being German, Russian, Swiss, Austrian, Turkish, French, etc. Yet the English Dub gives these characters American accents. You see, there is no possible way they could have American accents since logic dictates that since they live in a Central European area, they should have accents that suit that specific area or just have a German accent. Even the beginning of the Opening song, Guren no Yumiya, has a German phrase stating, "They are the prey and we are the hunters". This situation seems similar to the situation of white washing. For example, the new Noah film features an all white cast even though historically, those people were no way near white. The director stated that he wanted to represent the everyman so he made them all white yet this is definitely not the case. Why is it that being white and American is the default for characters in Hollywood and now even anime? There should be diversity.

Now on to the topic of constant mispronunciations in English Dubs. You see, I continually hear these voice actor mispronouncing certain character's names and certain terms. For example, they mispronounced Mikasa's name as Me-kuh-suh when in fact, it should be Me-kah-sah. These voice actors are supposedly experienced yet they can not complete the simplest of tasks. I am not a voice actor yet I can still pronounce everything correctly. It wasn't even difficult at all. All I had to do was just listen to how the original Japanese voice actors said it and replicate that pronunciation exactly as it was said. You see, it isn't difficult at all. All you need to do is just put in the extra effort. It also seems as if they do not do any research into the setting and the culture that are in certain anime.
104119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
So why does all Japanese sound track sound Japanese???

food for thought
Koda89 
33626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
For the lack of accents, I dunno why they do that.

As for the mispronunciations, yeah they do that often. However, Mikasa is actually not one of them. Go back and listen to the Japanese version carefully. They are saying it the same way. In both English and Japanese, her name is said like Me-kuh-suh.

They only difference is how they stress the pronunciation. It is done softer in the Japanese version.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 4/15/14 , edited 4/15/14
Again, going from my other post on your Funi hate thread -- no such thing as an American accent. The one I imagine most people think of is a Californian accent/dialect. Like how when most people say British accents they're probably referring to a London accent/dialect.

I don't really feel like going into anything else though.
5228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/15/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:

Again, going from my other post on your Funi hate thread -- no such thing as an American accent. The one I imagine most people think of is a Californian accent/dialect. Like how when most people say British accents they're probably referring to a London accent/dialect.

I don't really feel like going into anything else though.


There are variations of those specific accents. For British, there is English, Scottish, Welsh, Cockney, etc. For American, there is Californian, Southern, Boston, Jersey, Brooklyn, etc. However, I would rather hear any variation of the British accent than those of the American accent. It's my personal preference.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 4/15/14 , edited 4/15/14

PsychoGamer8229 wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:

Again, going from my other post on your Funi hate thread -- no such thing as an American accent. The one I imagine most people think of is a Californian accent/dialect. Like how when most people say British accents they're probably referring to a London accent/dialect.

I don't really feel like going into anything else though.


There are variations of those specific accents. For British, there is English, Scottish, Welsh, Cockney, etc. For American, there is Californian, Southern, Boston, Jersey, Brooklyn, etc. However, I would rather hear any variation of the British accent than those of the American accent. It's my personal preference.


Yes, of course, but by saying American or British accent you're being too general. And again, they aren't "specific accents" because as a whole they don't exist. Take me for example -- I'm from Missouri. I won't sound the same as someone from Oregon even though we're both Americans. Let's crank that up a notch. Say I'm specifically from Westboro, I won't sound the same as somone from St. Louis, even though we're both in the same state, relatively close to one another in terms of distance. You know?

The majority of anime dubbing comes from Texas now-a-days, so it'd be most appropriate to say Texian accent and even then... well I'm not going to get into it any further.

I don't know where you're trying to go by giving me variations, as that wasn't what I was referring to. I mean, other than you'd like to hear someone from, say, Yorkshire, rather than New York. Which... I have no real response for, sorry.
17523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Coventry, UK
Offline
Posted 4/15/14

PsychoGamer8229 wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:

Again, going from my other post on your Funi hate thread -- no such thing as an American accent. The one I imagine most people think of is a Californian accent/dialect. Like how when most people say British accents they're probably referring to a London accent/dialect.

I don't really feel like going into anything else though.


There are variations of those specific accents. For British, there is English, Scottish, Welsh, Cockney, etc. For American, there is Californian, Southern, Boston, Jersey, Brooklyn, etc. However, I would rather hear any variation of the British accent than those of the American accent. It's my personal preference.


There's not a really an 'English accent' either, though :P

Though I'd I agree with you on having mellow RP accents, for example, I can't begin to imagine watching Attack on Titan with an all-Essex cast...
13149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
When licensing something to America, it will be easier and cheaper to pay someone from America, who doesn't have an accent. It would be mildly disjointing to have half the cast with a "correct" accent and the other half lacking one, so for the sake of uniformity and cost, American voice actors are simpler.

This is pretty much the same thing in Japanese dubs. Half of these shows take place outside of Japan and yet they still use Japanese voice actors. Additionally, when there is a character that speaks English, it is often fairly broken and with a heavy Japanese accent.

It all comes down to money.

Its slightly different in movies, because movies are far more large and global than Anime licensing. Movies can afford to get actors from different parts of the world, however they often don't for "stylistic reasons". However, white is the default for Hollywood because Hollywood (and America) is largely white. Pretty easy to figure that one out.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 4/15/14

sundin13 wrote:

When licensing something to America, it will be easier and cheaper to pay someone from America, who doesn't have an accent. It would be mildly disjointing to have half the cast with a "correct" accent and the other half lacking one, so for the sake of uniformity and cost, American voice actors are simpler.

This is pretty much the same thing in Japanese dubs. Half of these shows take place outside of Japan and yet they still use Japanese voice actors. Additionally, when there is a character that speaks English, it is often fairly broken and with a heavy Japanese accent.

It all comes down to money.

Its slightly different in movies, because movies are far more large and global than Anime licensing. Movies can afford to get actors from different parts of the world, however they often don't for "stylistic reasons". However, white is the default for Hollywood because Hollywood (and America) is largely white. Pretty easy to figure that one out.


You can't not have an accent -- unless you're a space alien that only communicates through telepathy. Just saying.

Also -- money, money, money, money, money. Yes.
16121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / California
Offline
Posted 4/15/14 , edited 4/15/14
The ignorance is strong with this one
5739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
Probably because it would be too much work, a lot of people would see it as distracting and I think that most people just don't care. I wish they did, though. It was one of the few things I liked about Hetalia.
13149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:


sundin13 wrote:

When licensing something to America, it will be easier and cheaper to pay someone from America, who doesn't have an accent. It would be mildly disjointing to have half the cast with a "correct" accent and the other half lacking one, so for the sake of uniformity and cost, American voice actors are simpler.

This is pretty much the same thing in Japanese dubs. Half of these shows take place outside of Japan and yet they still use Japanese voice actors. Additionally, when there is a character that speaks English, it is often fairly broken and with a heavy Japanese accent.

It all comes down to money.

Its slightly different in movies, because movies are far more large and global than Anime licensing. Movies can afford to get actors from different parts of the world, however they often don't for "stylistic reasons". However, white is the default for Hollywood because Hollywood (and America) is largely white. Pretty easy to figure that one out.


You can't not have an accent -- unless you're a space alien that only communicates through telepathy. Just saying.

Also -- money, money, money, money, money. Yes.


I tried my darndest to not say that and I still messed it up @.@ You know what I meant. When I talked about not having an accent I meant not having the correct accent for the place that character is supposed to be from. Just a small slip on my part. Please forgive ;~;
Posted 4/15/14
Again with this?

Well, responding to your first point, do the Japanese do any better? I don't believe i've ever heard any Japanese dub that had proper accents. Heck, you're lucky if they even give individual characters regional accents. And when they do that, its usually a stereotyped accent (if they even get the correct type such as American vs Canadian etc).

But I understand where you're coming from. You want the English dub to do better than the Japanese, which isn't too much to ask for. However, bear in mind that it takes work to do an accent, and if done improperly, it will completely ruin the experience of the show. Its a risk that doesn't seem worth it. Plus, dubbing a show implies translating the accent of the region into the predominate accent. Take the dub of Azumanga Daioh as an example, they translate Osaka's accent as a southern drawl to convey that her speech is different. The characters in AoT as far as I know, don't even demonstrate accent variations (though i may be wrong, so don't take my word on that), so it would seem inappropriate to try to throw accents in there. But it is a cool added bonus for some shows (like Black Butler)

With regard to the name proncunciation, see my post in the Funi hate thread.
21025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
To me, it seems like having accurate accents is just too much of a hassle for questionable benefits. Not every voice actor can pull off a convincing foreign accent in regular conversation, let alone act with one. If done poorly, an unbelievable accent could ruin the atmosphere of a dark show like Attack on Titan. I would GREATLY prefer a dub with the voice actors focussing entirely on getting the emotion right rather than piling on the additional hassle of doing a foreign accent and then botching the whole deal...
67347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Glendale, AZ
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
Many criticisms that a person does about English dubs could also be applied to the Japanese versions. For example, in the Japanese version Fairy Tail, I've heard Lucy's name pronounced as "LOO-SHEE".

Another thing that many fans may often overlook/not realize is that the dub scripts (including pronunciation) and cast are subject to Japanese approval. By this, if we're gonna complain about the dub decisions, we should complain to the Japanese (the casting and script decisions aspect also applies to the Japanese versions).
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.