First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Mispronunciations and American Accents in English Dubs
5228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/16/14

KamisamanoOtaku wrote:



1) I already told you why they shouldn't have everyone speak with German accents; that still makes it harder to understand the VAs as well as making it more difficult (and expensive) to find VAs that can speak with a good German accent. Let alone the fact that the entire point of AoT is that all of humanity hunkered down behind the walls; the exact language they speak really could be English, at least with the information in the animé. 100 years also gives more time for language to change.

2) Noah is a really terrible movie unless you can divorce it so completely from the source material and have a world view in line with the director's. I qualify for neither of those, so to me it is like complaining about being called names by a man who just attempted genocide; it may be annoying but its really not worth focusing on in light of the circumstances.

This has gone from "probably being trolling" to "almost certainly being trolling" so I'm out.


Logically, they wouldn't be speaking with your average American accent. If they are indeed speaking English and since this takes place in a European area, then they would logically be speaking with an English accent or something similar to it. When I mean English, I mean what you people call, British. Also, these voice actors didn't take the time to learn a few accents. German is one of the basics. Did they not know that by being able to do different accents could give them more options and the such? I am not trolling, I am serious. "Trolling" is such an idiotic term.
5228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/17/14 , edited 4/17/14
I find that Funimation lack imagination, the scriptwriters and voice directors I mean. They have the potential to do so much more yet they just keep on doing the same generic and average thing. You can't just churn tons and tons of English Dubs left and right at a very fast pace. It's because of things like this, a lot of English dubs are rushed and they just don't fell any different from the others. They're not anything special. They ruin the writing of the anime by trying to Americanize it with their obligatory swearing and their dumbing down of certain topics to appeal to lowest common denominator. I feel as if there isn't any quality control. I feel as if they care more about quantity over quality.

Also, remember that voice acting isn't just a job, it's an art.

There was this one time when a person commented on a trailer for the English Dub for one of the Evangelion films saying that Mike McFarland is one of the best voice directors of all time. There is no way that Mike McFarland is the best. How can he be better than Andrea Romano and Susan Blu? Seriously, look at what they have done:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Romano
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Blu
28579 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Hawaii-Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 4/17/14 , edited 4/17/14

PsychoGamer8229 wrote:

I find that Funimation lack imagination, the scriptwriters and voice directors I mean. They have the potential to do so much more yet they just keep on doing the same generic and average thing. You can't just churn tons and tons of English Dubs left and right at a very fast pace. It's because of things like this, a lot of English dubs are rushed and they just don't fell any different from the others. They're not anything special. They ruin the writing of the anime by trying to Americanize it with their obligatory swearing and their dumbing down of certain topics to appeal to lowest common denominator. I feel as if there isn't any quality control. I feel as if they care more about quantity over quality.

Also, remember that voice acting isn't just a job, it's an art.

There was this one time when a person commented on a trailer for the English Dub for one of the Evangelion films saying that Mike McFarland is one of the best voice directors of all time. There is no way that Mike McFarland is the best. How can he be better than Andrea Romano and Susan Blu? Seriously, look at what they have done:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Romano
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Blu


Big difference between "one of" and "best of all time". We get it. You have some strange personal grudge against Funimation.
5228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/17/14

waverat81 wrote:


PsychoGamer8229 wrote:

I find that Funimation lack imagination, the scriptwriters and voice directors I mean. They have the potential to do so much more yet they just keep on doing the same generic and average thing. You can't just churn tons and tons of English Dubs left and right at a very fast pace. It's because of things like this, a lot of English dubs are rushed and they just don't fell any different from the others. They're not anything special. They ruin the writing of the anime by trying to Americanize it with their obligatory swearing and their dumbing down of certain topics to appeal to lowest common denominator. I feel as if there isn't any quality control. I feel as if they care more about quantity over quality.

Also, remember that voice acting isn't just a job, it's an art.

There was this one time when a person commented on a trailer for the English Dub for one of the Evangelion films saying that Mike McFarland is one of the best voice directors of all time. There is no way that Mike McFarland is the best. How can he be better than Andrea Romano and Susan Blu? Seriously, look at what they have done:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Romano
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Blu


Big difference between "one of" and "best of all time". We get it. You have some strange personal grudge against Funimation.


Oops, my bad. That was a typo on my part. The person did indeed said that he was the best of all time. He still isn't though.
Koda89 
33622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Offline
Posted 4/17/14

PsychoGamer8229 wrote:


waverat81 wrote:


PsychoGamer8229 wrote:

I find that Funimation lack imagination, the scriptwriters and voice directors I mean. They have the potential to do so much more yet they just keep on doing the same generic and average thing. You can't just churn tons and tons of English Dubs left and right at a very fast pace. It's because of things like this, a lot of English dubs are rushed and they just don't fell any different from the others. They're not anything special. They ruin the writing of the anime by trying to Americanize it with their obligatory swearing and their dumbing down of certain topics to appeal to lowest common denominator. I feel as if there isn't any quality control. I feel as if they care more about quantity over quality.

Also, remember that voice acting isn't just a job, it's an art.

There was this one time when a person commented on a trailer for the English Dub for one of the Evangelion films saying that Mike McFarland is one of the best voice directors of all time. There is no way that Mike McFarland is the best. How can he be better than Andrea Romano and Susan Blu? Seriously, look at what they have done:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Romano
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Blu


Big difference between "one of" and "best of all time". We get it. You have some strange personal grudge against Funimation.


Oops, my bad. That was a typo on my part. The person did indeed said that he was the best of all time. He still isn't though.


That's open for personal taste. To me, he IS one of the best....anime voice directors. See the problem I have is you are comparing anime voice directors with Western animation voice directors. The two are completely different beasts and unfortunately, the anime side always gets the bottom of the barrel. Weaker voice actors, weaker directors, and weaker script writers. They just can't compete with Western cartoons.
5228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/17/14

Koda89 wrote:


PsychoGamer8229 wrote:


waverat81 wrote:


PsychoGamer8229 wrote:

I find that Funimation lack imagination, the scriptwriters and voice directors I mean. They have the potential to do so much more yet they just keep on doing the same generic and average thing. You can't just churn tons and tons of English Dubs left and right at a very fast pace. It's because of things like this, a lot of English dubs are rushed and they just don't fell any different from the others. They're not anything special. They ruin the writing of the anime by trying to Americanize it with their obligatory swearing and their dumbing down of certain topics to appeal to lowest common denominator. I feel as if there isn't any quality control. I feel as if they care more about quantity over quality.

Also, remember that voice acting isn't just a job, it's an art.

There was this one time when a person commented on a trailer for the English Dub for one of the Evangelion films saying that Mike McFarland is one of the best voice directors of all time. There is no way that Mike McFarland is the best. How can he be better than Andrea Romano and Susan Blu? Seriously, look at what they have done:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Romano
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Blu


Big difference between "one of" and "best of all time". We get it. You have some strange personal grudge against Funimation.


Oops, my bad. That was a typo on my part. The person did indeed said that he was the best of all time. He still isn't though.


That's open for personal taste. To me, he IS one of the best....anime voice directors. See the problem I have is you are comparing anime voice directors with Western animation voice directors. The two are completely different beasts and unfortunately, the anime side always gets the bottom of the barrel. Weaker voice actors, weaker directors, and weaker script writers. They just can't compete with Western cartoons.


But why does it have to be that way? Why does anime have to get all the crap? I'm sure there is someone out there who has the necessary talent that is comparable with the ones for Western cartoons. I also think that some of the voice actors are pretty good under the right direction. Their scriptwriters need to stop dumbing down everything to appeal to the lowest common denominator and no obligatory swearing. Seriously, this is an anime, not Family Guy. They should stop trying to Americanize it.
Sailor Candy Moderator
200576 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/27/15
"Year-end cleanup. Closing threads with no activity since 2014."
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.