First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
forum chatting politeness
23469 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Iowa >.>
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
so I've been noticing that people are more polite on crunchyroll than other web sites I use. youtube is about the worst I have seen, with fights breaking out, swearing, calling others names, and even bring up the said persons mother. another website I use quite frequently is the Escapist. this ones not as bad because usually it's not childish name calling (I guess because it can be posted to facebook) but a lot of arguments still break out, some being as long as 10 paragraphs (after 3 I stop reading). but here on crunchyroll I don't see that, I guess I haven't really looked deeper into the form posts.

So what are your thoughts?
62812 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
Probably the moderators.
Posted 4/15/14
Slow down, you're running too fast. Why are you so mean?
9805 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 4/15/14 , edited 4/15/14
As bathroom64 said; CR's mods. It can get pretty nasty here, but the mods step in fairly quickly, even going so far as to lock threads and ban users for more than a century.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 4/15/14 , edited 4/15/14
There're two reasons why there aren't as many immature assholes on CR then other sites!

1. moderators that actually are active.

2. People on this site share the same type of interests.


*EDIT

3. Moderators aren't scared... And what I mean by that is that they bann people if they're not not following forum rules and not being civilized.

Posted 4/15/14
maybe because the average age of users on this forum are higher than the average age of users on youtube/twitter etc.

I mean most people on youtube are one erection's fans or something. it's so easy to troll those horny teenage girls... they get so sensitive about the smallest comment, you can't say, "THis song sucks" without them retaliating, "Why are you listening to this song if you don't like one erection?"



5107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Midwestern United...
Offline
Posted 4/15/14

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:

There're two reasons why there aren't as many immature assholes on CR then other sites!

1. moderators that actually are active.

2. People on this site share the same type of interests.


This is pretty much it, however this site is merely on the "good" side of average from what I've seen. I've participated with both better and worse sites. Youtube is so wide open and widely used, its understandably going to be one of the worse. One of the best site's I've been too is a Mega Man fan site. Sadly there hasn't been a lot of Mega Man activity lately (which seems so strange to someone that got used to at least one game per year for about a decade and a half), plus Mega Man games are rather tame compared to a lot of things so all in all it kept things going good and smooth. Even heavy discussions on religion and the like might get heated and uncivil, but "uncivil", not "foul and nasty". I say "was" because some hacker basically trashed the site so its being rebuilt, and the temp boards are almost vacant. >.>
541 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / The Internet
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
Easy measuring tool: The more mainstream a site is to mainstream society, the worse behavior on said site is.

Any FPS or popular game forum is an example not posted yet. Blizzard and LoL forums are cesspools of 'people' seeing whos e-peen is bigger, and in other ways I won't mention. You tend to even notice it with popular anime as well. The more popular it becomes, the more volatile the fan base gets. Age doesn't tend to matter either; just because they've been on this blue orb longer doesn't mean they act like it.

Crunchyroll doesn't target mainstream society by any stretch. Most of mainstream America would probably think a stream is a smaller river, only to proceed to shun you for being a weeaboo for liking anime. (Mods also help )
147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Everywhere (omnip...
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
well said. I applaud
11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 4/15/14 , edited 4/15/14
Yeah, it's mostly okay here on CR. You're right that Youtube has terrible comments, Gamespot is another one (I got compared to the KKK for saying I was all right with The Last of Us getting a re-mastered version on the PS4). As someone said, I think the moderators play a big part in it.
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 4/15/14 , edited 4/15/14
Didn't notice that really, feels the same to me. (K, maybe better than youtube. =__=)


TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:
2. People on this site share the same type of interests.


Hahaha, like that's enough to stop people from flaming each other. Still happens all the time.
cosham 
17063 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / Sussex UK
Offline
Posted 4/15/14 , edited 4/15/14
The extended discussion threads can get a little unpleasant at times, also the mods here do get a trifle heavy handed at times, over some things.
One Punch Mod
85925 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 4/15/14

Lowlights wrote:

ur stupid


u forgot 2 add "jk"
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 4/15/14

TsunLemon wrote:

Didn't notice that really, feels the same to me. (K, maybe better than youtube. =__=)


TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:
2. People on this site share the same type of interests.


Hahaha, like that's enough to stop people from flaming each other. Still happens all the time.


The thing on YouTube (other sites) is that people usually go into flame wars whit people who are loyal to another brand and/or product, therefore leading two people into a flamewar. And that's not something that this community is centered around and therefore I have a hard time believing in the notion that people on this site who share the same interests are less likely to start a flamewar.

Hell, people on this site even pay for the same service (if they got premium)
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 4/15/14 , edited 4/15/14

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:

The thing on YouTube (other sites) is that people usually go into flame wars whit people who are loyal to another brand and/or product, therefore leading two people into a flamewar. And that's not something that this community is centered around and therefore I have a hard time believing in the notion that people on this site who share the same interests are less likely to start a flamewar.

Hell, people on this site even pay for the same service (if they got premium)


Well, it is indeed less likely to happen than on sites like Youtube, but it still happens quite a lot.
Like you say, flame wars start with people who are loyal to different products, so obviously it is highly possible for people who like different types of Anime to flame each other. Anime isn't just one thing after all.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.