First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
2d > 3d relationships?
62792 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/14

cay032692 wrote:

PanchoArr wrote:

RedExodus wrote:
So when do we get virtual 3-Ds?
Once we get virtual H-Games, will people stop reproducing?

believe it or not that may be happening right now I've seen documentaries on YouTube about the decreasing amount of reproduction that is happening in Japan. They all seemed to point at NEETs and peoples preference to the 2d world.

Ehhhh, that somewhat sounds like a decent thing...Man Made Nature taking its course to reduce the current over population we have, death rates are too low with all this fancy medicine and better care we have now xD.

Well, it is not because of NEETs and Otakus so much as it is because Japan is really, really, REALLY sexist. For instance, a woman who is married, and will not stay home to cook and clean and pop out babies is really looked down upon. And they value more what gossipers and strangers stay than people in the West. They are ostracized for it, so many young women will choose to NOT have a relationship, and focus on their careers. This is because companies also prefer people who WON'T go on maternity leave. Lots of women's issues are happening, but few know about them.
3034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Here
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
It's fine I guess that you guys are more into 2D girls than 3D girls, but some of these reasons just seem... misogynistic. Preferring a fictional character because they "don't talk back" or are "perfect" is somewhat wrong - you're not in a relationship, that being isn't real. There is no actual being that you are in love with, you're in love with an idea that doesn't exist, your "perfect, idyllic woman" you could say.

I get myself hooked on a female character from time to time, sure - I mean, they represent human personalities and are ideas personified as characters.

Even as a joke, "they don't talk back" just comes off as a very possessive, aggressive stance towards women. It perpetuates an idea that women shouldn't talk back to men, which is misogynistic. I'm not saying people are misogynists for liking fictional, 2D women, but some of the reasoning comes across very much that way. Real people aren't perfect, you're right. Real people can hurt you, leave you, sure.

But that 2D fictional character will never love you. They will never think of you in any capacity - you are merely imagining them. You're also imagining them liking you - you're creating yourself an imaginary woman to comfort yourself.


I found these two posts in particular interesting:


gearmarine wrote:

^ Best girl is definitely Mikasa from Attack on Titan. I like strong independent woman.



gearmarine wrote:

2D girls don't talk back to you when you shout at them.


Liking 2D girls because they don't talk back when you shout at them (a sign of dominance and control, and part of an abusive relationship - shouting at someone is NOT cool), but then liking a female character for being strong and independent? If you had a strong and independent woman to date and shouted at her, what do you think would happen? If they were actually strong and independent then they wouldn't tolerate that.

It's funny that you use Mikasa as an example though - a female character that would probably kick your ass if you could actually shout at her. Of course, like you said, she's not able to - she's not real.

I'm not calling you out as an individual, I just find those two posts to be really interesting to show how people think these things through.

Like I said, it's fine to like 2D characters. I really like a few fictional characters because they're just attractive to me - but I don't love them romantically. It hurts no one, sure, but it's really kind of lame in my opinion to be romantically invested into a character. It'd be like being the loser kid in school that has a crush on the most popular girl in the school - you're never going to get anything out of it, you're just fantasizing based on ideals that you and society have crafted.

Ideals that tend to be based in a sense of "I deserve" or "I want" in my experience - things that turn women into items to be desired, not actual human beings. That's how I see the preference of 2D, fictional characters, its just turning them into an object to desire. Which is a misogynistic view, in my opinion.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with this, just my two cents.
52873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 4/15/14 , edited 4/15/14

bathroom64 wrote:

Well, it is not because of NEETs and Otakus so much as it is because Japan is really, really, REALLY sexist. For instance, a woman who is married, and will not stay home to cook and clean and pop out babies is really looked down upon. And they value more what gossipers and strangers stay than people in the West. They are ostracized for it, so many young women will choose to NOT have a relationship, and focus on their careers. This is because companies also prefer people who WON'T go on maternity leave. Lots of women's issues are happening, but few know about them.


Wast directly addressing the NEET part he brought up, should have just bolded the "believe it or not that may be happening right now", a decline in birthrates and an increase in death rate would be helpful atm with decline world resources, but the death rate is always on a decline, so the possible decline in birthrates can at least be dependable upon for now.
8240 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / State of Confusion
Offline
Posted 4/15/14 , edited 4/15/14
I think that you are missing the overall reason why 2D girls (and 2D Guys for you G.A.B.) are so well received. This is what I believe.

I want you to think back to the time that you first started noticing someone in a romantic way. At some point you daydreamed about how they would act, what they would say, and basically reacted to you. This daydreaming lead you to have expectations of the other person.

Example
I will say "blah blah blah"
She will giggle and say "how funny you are"

Then that person tries their fantasy out on the real person who they are crushing in on, and for some reason, it falls apart. A sad reality sets in, the other person didn't act that way, didn't think, or say what you wanted them to. Even in some cases, reality turned into a hard rejection. Real people don't immediately share our personal fantasies. They have their own, and most times it is about other people. Even when you are older you still have your pre-expectations. They are blunted by experience, but most have in mind how they want their significant other to act.

2D people are designed to live out our fantasies. They are written by their creators to say exactly what we want our life partners to say, act the way we want them to act, and appear as we wish. They agree that we are great, wise, sexy and tell us that they love, want and need us. As this is what a lot of people in our modern world don't hear enough of. This is why the lovers of a 2D person give genuine love to a simple animation and audio file.

That of course is just my personal opinion.
19397 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 4/15/14


thanks, your 2 cents are appreciated. Part of being non-biased is hearing both sides of the issue. I get the point of your argument and its mostly true but you got me wondering about another question.

Preferring a fictional character because they "don't talk back" or are "perfect" is somewhat wrong - you're not in a relationship, that being isn't real. There is no actual being that you are in love with, you're in love with an idea that doesn't exist, your "perfect, idyllic woman" you could say.

what about those phone apps or games where it seems theres a "virtual girl" living in your device. They give off a genuine feel that theres really someone there. The virtual character goes through routines like eating and sleeping and there are even options to plan out actual dates.
19397 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 4/15/14

Thanks for helping. You're right. I've been hit with that harsh reality several times. Also if you think about it, a lot of people when they go through a bad breakup listen to romantic music or watch romantic movies. They probably feel like "love should of been like this" and find it as a great way to release all the pent up emotion.
15775 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/15/14 , edited 4/15/14
I think it's fine to hold an admiration for 2D characters, and have your favorites and all that, but please do not delude yourself from reality.

3D > 2D always.

>
42415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 4/15/14
Some people who would choose a 2D relationship over a 3D are probably scared to at least date a 3D person in fear of getting judged or hurt.
18278 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Argentina
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
I'll be hated for what I'll say but whatever...

There are not such thing like 2D relationship. You can't being in a relatinship with someone that doesn't exist. As far as I have seen people who prefer 2D girls/boys over real people are just being delusyonal because they can't get a real girlfriend/boyfriend ( very likely due to they have poor social skills) and are incredible sexists too. They would like real women/men would be like their waifus, in other words as somebody say before they "are in love" with a concenpt.

Excuseme for my English.
4761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
It's so much effort to date a real girl
58 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/15/14

TheRealEscargotpudding wrote:

It's so much effort to date a real girl


Yes

552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
*how did you find out you prefer 2d? or why did you give up on real people?

I find out I prefer 2d because 3d girls always talk bad things about me. I hate it, but I know at the same time they are doing in a favor for me.
I almost give up on real people because everything suck.

*why do some people prefer 2d girls?

It's a escapism.

*whats better about 2d than 3d?

2d are innocent and pure. 3d are dirty and ugly.

*view on dating-sims and eroge/ visual novels

I don't play dating-sims or eroge/visual novels. I just watch anime.

*do your friends know or how do you go on about it with friends. also are your friends into that?

They don't care because I don't even care about it. We always post a picture of a anime girl.
50394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Balmer, Murlin
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
Fictional characters will never leave you. Ultimately, it will be you who leaves them, probably for another fictional character. I think it's that freedom and power that draws a lot of people to abandoning relationships with actual people. Real people are complicated. They are hard to deal with. They have imperfections. And even if you love them, there's a good chance that they don't love you.

A fictional character is simple, and perfect. They are anything we want them to be. We don't have to explain ourselves to them, or try to figure them out. They will love us unconditionally. We literally control their every action, so there's no surprises, no sudden break-ups to leave us heartbroken. Every exchange we have with them is purely scripted. It's the exact opposite of what we encounter in real life, which makes it a prime realm of escape for people who have become disenchanted with the real world.

I, myself, have never felt so deep a connection with any fictional being. I can say I "love" them, I can call them my husbandos and waifus, but ultimately, it is a completely different connection than my relationships with actual people. I know very well the difference. For me, fictional characters could never be a substitute for the real thing. They have no consequences, which to me means that they have no substance.

I don't care if other people are more into fiction than reality. I sympathize with them. Life can be hard, and people have different ways of coping with it.
3034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Here
Offline
Posted 4/15/14

PanchoArr wrote:

what about those phone apps or games where it seems theres a "virtual girl" living in your device. They give off a genuine feel that theres really someone there. The virtual character goes through routines like eating and sleeping and there are even options to plan out actual dates.


Thing is, they still aren't real. There's no human being there, it's programming designed to behave as if it is in love with you, or at least interested in you. But in reality it's not - it's a cold, lifeless hunk of programming that will never genuinely care about you. Even if love isn't real and is just chemical reactions, those chemical reactions are at least being caused based on something other than programming that responds with artificial love regardless of your treatment of it.

I just fail to see how something programmed by someone to respond to input variables in a strict, positive parameter could ever possibly replace a human being.
13891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Austin, TX
Offline
Posted 4/15/14
how did you find out you prefer 2d? or why did you give up on real people?
I haven't given up or anything, but I know I prefer to read or see cute people fall in love hoping it will happen to me one day. I have been torn down plenty of times, given so much to a girl, was so nice to her, just to have her cheat on me or treat me like garbage. When I watch anime it gives me hope I guess.

*why do some people prefer 2d girls?
I think it's mostly because they can't find someone who has the same interest as them. I have the same problem. I come from a farm town and I got made fun of a lot growing up because I watch anime, play video games, would rather stay inside watch movies and such instead of going out and doing drugs.

*whats better about 2d than 3d?
They can't steal from you, hurt you, or play with your emotions. (Again, I don't really prefer it, but this is something I assume)

*do your friends know or how do you go on about it with friends. also are your friends into that?
I don't have any friends who actually are into anime so it never really gets brought up. I keep this side of me to myself. :/
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.