First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Does Japan celebrate Easter?
85263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Louisville, KY
Offline
Posted 4/16/14 , edited 4/16/14

tsun wrote:


kilikikero wrote:

. . .A majority of Japanese people consider themselves non-religious. Although they do practice both Buddhist and Shinto ceremonies and rituals, they view it more as a matter of tradition than a matter of belief. That said, Japanese people are said to be 'spiritual' in the sense. . .though I think the average Japanese person doesn't really preoccupy themselves with it.

My caretakers strongly hold their belief in religion, but it is very true that it's mainly practiced out of tradition--for me at least.



Khaltazar wrote:

Even in America school children don't get time off for Easter since it's on Sunday each year. You go to school the next day. The only thing Easter is for here is for chocolate company's to make some big money.

I moved to America during Spring last year, and we get over a week for Easter. Four days before Easter, and the whole week after. Then again, I go to a private college and it's a Christian school, so that may have something to do with it lol.


If it's a Christian Private School yeah probably. The public schools and University's don't give any time off though.
37527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 4/16/14

LightningChocobo wrote:


Dubnoman wrote:

OP, if you didn't know, Easter is actually the most important holiday to Christians. Greater in importance than Christmas. There is only a very small percentage of Christians in Japan, so not many people in Japan recognize the holiday in a religious way. I didn't even know they celebrated Easter in Japan until I read a couple of posts in this thread.


Does Japan have a prevailing religion in their country or do they just have a lot of different beliefs? I know in anime the only inferences about religion I ever see are them praying at shrines (but that seems to do more with the belief in luck) and believing in an afterlife.



Okay, a woman from Japan, who I was friends with, told me some things about Japan and spirituality. People here can feel free to back me up or correct me.

She said that Shintoism is a big part of Japanese spirituality. She said, however, that there are not many devout Shintoist. In the newest generations, there aren't many who practice it exclusively, devoutly, and thus, believe in all its teachings on metaphysics, the origin of earth and humanity, the afterlife, and so forth. She said that the dominant religion in Japan is some branches of Buddhism. This is in the sense of followers who are devout practitioners. And I believe the most common forms of Buddhism in Japan are some Pure Land sects and Tendai or some branches like Tendai.

I also remember someone saying that in Japan, a lot of people (sounded like the majority) who are spiritual are 'spiritual but not religious'. They said many of them will form their own spirituality based around Shintoism and forms of Buddhism popular in Japan, with some also combining in things from Daoism and Confucianism into their spirituality (I'm not 100% sure on the Confucianism part, but even though Confucius is Chinese, Confucian ethics, ideals, and values have integrated into Japanese culture over the course of time).

People can confirm things where I'm correct and correct things where I'm wrong.
22215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Online
Posted 4/16/14

crazysouthsider wrote:


TheRealEscargotpudding wrote:

Easter's a commercial holiday in Japan





MonkeysxMoo35 wrote:

It's like Christmas, a commercial holiday there. Unless they are a Christian family they'll see it as something like Valentine's Day or something. It's not a holiday based on religion or anything big just a day with some event going on that they don't care about.



So does a lot of the population exchange gifts?

twitter.com/crazysouthsider


You get the point it's just another day to them. Maybe something like Arbor Day would have been better to use
11629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Burkburnett, Texas
Offline
Posted 4/16/14 , edited 4/16/14

FlyinDumpling wrote:

How do christians feel when other people celebrate their religious holiday in such a shallow way?

Easter is about chocolate eggs
Christmas is about getting free stuff


Shouldn't really bother Christians too much, they stole both holidays from Pagans.
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 4/16/14

charlesfaust wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

How do christians feel when other people celebrate their religious holiday in such a shallow way?

Easter is about chocolate eggs
Christmas is about getting free stuff


Shouldn't really bother Christians too much, they stole both holidays from Pagans.
can you explain the relevance of the latter part?
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 4/16/14
I think the point is that it would be kind of hypocritical for Christians to be irate that people co-opt their holidays for a non-Christian purpose when those holidays were originally co-opted by Christianity in the first place from various other traditions in order to mix themselves into other cultures more readily for the purposes of conversion. Nobody was calling the day of the resurrection of Christ as Easter until they wanted to spread the faith to pagan worshipers. The Christian holiday was originally called Pascha and still is called that in the locales around Greece and Italy as far as I know. The name got changed to Easter in order to co-opt the german worship of Ēostre(possibly the migratory name of the Babylonian Ishtar) into something Christian. Aside from the going to church part, most other secular traditions for Easter come from the pagan roots of the holiday, such as the eggs.
16029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / SFBay
Offline
Posted 4/16/14
Easter is not like Christmas in Japan, in that Christmas is a big deal in Japan.

As for the religion of Japan. I'll reiterate what others have said: most people in Japan are not devout followers. And like others have also stated the main religions are Shinto and Buddhism. There are Shinto Shines and Buddhist Temples all over the place, and often in close proximity to one another.

As for practicing any of the rites and rituals of those religions, they often do both.
37527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 4/16/14

AsahinaInu wrote:

I think the point is that it would be kind of hypocritical for Christians to be irate that people co-opt their holidays for a non-Christian purpose when those holidays were originally co-opted by Christianity in the first place from various other traditions in order to mix themselves into other cultures more readily for the purposes of conversion. Nobody was calling the day of the resurrection of Christ as Easter until they wanted to spread the faith to pagan worshipers. The Christian holiday was originally called Pascha and still is called that in the locales around Greece and Italy as far as I know. The name got changed to Easter in order to co-opt the german worship of Ēostre(possibly the migratory name of the Babylonian Ishtar) into something Christian. Aside from the going to church part, most other secular traditions for Easter come from the pagan roots of the holiday, such as the eggs.


This thing happens with some other religions. I know that Buddhism spread to many areas by integrating into other cultures and ideologies. Buddhism really passed through a 'Japanese filter' when it spread and rooted in Japan.
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 4/16/14

Dubnoman wrote:

This thing happens with some other religions. I know that Buddhism spread to many areas by integrating into other cultures and ideologies. Buddhism really passed through a 'Japanese filter' when it spread and rooted in Japan.
Yeah. I don't deny that at all. I was just addressing the specific point mentioned.

17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 4/16/14
Thank you for explaining that, it wasn't quite clear to me before how pagans related to this topic. However from what I've read, Christians originally knew that Easter was taken from pagan people to spread the religion to them. While in japan, when they started opening up to the world, they probably thought the roots of Christmas was Santa.
16931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/16/14
Think they probably do since in FFXIV they actually had easter based event holiday
9778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Online
Posted 4/16/14

Khaltazar wrote:


tsun wrote:


kilikikero wrote:

. . .A majority of Japanese people consider themselves non-religious. Although they do practice both Buddhist and Shinto ceremonies and rituals, they view it more as a matter of tradition than a matter of belief. That said, Japanese people are said to be 'spiritual' in the sense. . .though I think the average Japanese person doesn't really preoccupy themselves with it.

My caretakers strongly hold their belief in religion, but it is very true that it's mainly practiced out of tradition--for me at least.



Khaltazar wrote:

Even in America school children don't get time off for Easter since it's on Sunday each year. You go to school the next day. The only thing Easter is for here is for chocolate company's to make some big money.

I moved to America during Spring last year, and we get over a week for Easter. Four days before Easter, and the whole week after. Then again, I go to a private college and it's a Christian school, so that may have something to do with it lol.


If it's a Christian Private School yeah probably. The public schools and University's don't give any time off though.


I've attended five public school systems, across three different states; Virginia, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Three of the school systems that I went to are in Mississippi. All of which have an Easter break. Pennsylvania, as well, since my younger sister's Easter break begins today; however, Easter break is treated as synonymous with Spring break in all four states.
Sailor Candy Moderator
200584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/28/15
"Year-end cleanup. Closing threads with no activity since 2014."
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.